tippy2k2 tells you what to think; Get Out

Racism is bad!

A thriller written and directed by Jordan Peele (which, for those who are unaware, is almost exclusively a comedy actor/writer) in his first time in the director's chair. How often does that ever turn out good, let alone a modern masterpiece? Well good news for Mr. Peele...

Get Out starts with couple Chris Washington (Daniel Kaluuya), a black man getting ready to meet the parents of Rose Artimage (Allison Williams). As a black man, Chris is quite worried that his lady has not warned her parents of his ethnicity but she assures him that it won't be a big deal.

As soon as they get to the very large estate that is her parents home, things are weird. The parents (Catherine Keener & Bradley Whitford respectively) seem nice enough but things are just off. Dad is acting weird, Mom is acting weird, The Help is acting weird (both black), the entire situation is just unsettling. There is also a big party happening, where even more racial tension bleeds into every scene (with my personal favorite of the old white guy gushing about how much he just loves Tiger Woods). No one is ever overtly racist towards Chris but clearly something is not quite right in this home...

That is where the movie is just brilliant. Race is a huge part of the movie and the tension is felt in every single scene. The audience is left in the dark as to what is really going on; we are just as confused and worried as Chris spends time in the home and it just gets weirder and weirder from there.

While the movie was billed as a horror movie, it is much more a mystery thriller than anything. While there are jump scares, they are used to break up the tension building in every single scene. It's almost a welcomed relief jumping in your seat just to cut some of the tension the audience experiences throughout the vast majority of the movie. It does a wonderful job of drip feeding just enough information to the audience that once everything is actually revealed, all the signs from earlier become crystal clear. Too many movies nowadays seem to think that all they have to do is throw a twist into the movie and that's enough but a good twist gives the audience a chance to figure it out before blindsiding them, which this movie absolutely nails.

The entire cast is wonderful. From the dead-eyed looks from every black actor and actress (besides Daniel Kaluuya, who nails the sheer confusion and fright that the audience feels) to the downright creepy acting of basically every white actor and actress, everyone brings their A game here. I really hope that Daniel Kaluuya wins something from The Academy for this performance because everything he does is a perfect mirror for the audience to look into.

Really, the only negative I can see (and that is getting kind of nitpicky) is that once you have seen the movie, it doesn't feel like a rewatch would have near the same impact. The unknown is what this movie is entirely built upon so once that gets taken away, you've got a game of mystery where you already know who done it. I really hope that no one spoiled the film for those who have not seen it as overall, the movie is absolutely brilliant and is something that any thriller fan should seek out.

9/10; Get Out is a brilliant directorial debut. To quote a Monster Truck Commercial, you'll pay for the whole seat but you'll only need the edge.

Last Review: Free Fire

Daniel Kaluuya was really the only thing Johnny English Reborn (don't judge me) had going for it. I really like Key and Peele, and I was unsure if Jordan Peele could churn out anything other than clever, insightful comedy. Looks like I never should have doubted.

EDIT: I totally agree with Tippy's review. I haven't seen a movie recently that is so unsettling with such little effort. The minor characters shine with their subtle details, and Daniel Kaluuya is a great actor and instantly likable.

The subject matter itself is interesting, focusing on what white people think it's like to be "black", and I appreciated the way Peele doesn't go heavy handed with the social commentary or pushing an agenda. He lets the story tell itself and the audience decipher it. In lesser hands this could have become an absolute mess, but he deftly negotiates the dangerous waters of racial stereotypes and roles and produces a belter of a movie.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
Register for a free account here