Can you guess a game from a line of dialogue? (thread game)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

"Either you have an enviable memory, or a pitiable life, to know nothing of regret."

"Stand in the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters. The silence is your answer."

"Loss frightens me to no end. Loss of memory, loss of self. If I were told that by killing you, I would be freed of this curse... then I would draw my sword without hesitation. I don't want to die, I want to exist. I would sacrifice anything, anything at all for this. It shames me, but it is the truth. ... Sometimes I feel obsessed... with this insignificant thing called "self." But even so, I am compelled to preserve it. Am I wrong to feel so? Surely you'd do the same, in my shoes? ... Maybe we are all cursed... from the moment we're born."

Saelune:
No, not just an urge, more than that. It was my destiny to be here, in the box.

You should come in the box, then you'll know what I mean...
-Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

I'll put up one really easy, one I think is sadly much more obscure.

"What can change the nature of a man?"

"Conscience? You dare to speak to me of Conscience!?! Only when you have felt the full gravity of choice should you dare question my judgement!"

"What is a man? I miserable little pile of secrets!"

"Oh, how dreadful. Say, do you hear that? It's the sound of the Reaper..."

"You have done NOTHING! I will TEAR YOUR WORLD APART!"

"This is my story and you're not part of it."
"Did you forget who you're talking to? I am the lord of the dead!"
"No wonder no one wants to die."

Ima Lemming:

Kingdom Hearts 2, Auron & Hades :)

"What? Say something! Am I so beautiful that you've no words left?"

Ima Lemming:

This sounds so familiar but I can't place it... and googling it is no fun.

Kerg3927:
"Either you have an enviable memory, or a pitiable life, to know nothing of regret."

"Stand in the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters. The silence is your answer."

Quote 1: Sten, Dragon Age Origins.

Quote 2: Javik, Mass Effect 3.

"Are there no others?! Is there no one left to challenge me? Is this the end? Are there no more great battles for me to join? ...NNNGAH! More! I still wish to wield my blade in battle! I do not care who! Come and face me! Come and face the great _______!"

"A blind, deaf, comatose lobotomy patient could feel my anger!"

*deadpan* "I'm looking for a whore."

Touch the demon inside me.

TT Kairen:
"A blind, deaf, comatose lobotomy patient could feel my anger!"

That's from The Old Republic, right? I can't place the other two, though.

"You were led on with false prophecies, you false saviors of a foolish world."

"Only under light does a flower bloom with beauty. A flower tainted with darkness is fated to wither away."

"I cannot forgive those who turned the planet into this, those who dyed the sky dark like this..."

Ima Lemming:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night if I am not mistaken.

*What next in the parade of constant interruptions?!

immortalfrieza:

I'll put up one really easy, one I think is sadly much more obscure.

Planescape: Torment

1: "Hey, listen!"

2: "I hunger. RUN! RUN! RUN coward! Beware I live. RHAAAAGHGH!"

3: "I like shorts, they're comfy and easy to wear!"

Drathnoxis:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Next:

"Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?"

Johnny Novgorod:

"Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?"

Recording of Andrew Ryan in the Bathysphere to Rapture - Bioshock.

"I just can't take my eyes off it! It's like watching the scene of a horrible car accident...an accident where the victims can't act, and the paramedics forget their lines!"

Drathnoxis:
"Children are pure, they know who's the strongest!"

Is this Killer7? I recall the Luchador whose name eludes me mentioning something about children...

Auron225:

Ima Lemming:

You were lurking in this topic just waiting for somebody to quote Auron, weren't you?

"I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man. He never dies."

Drathnoxis:

Sinistar! God that was the scariest thing in an arcade shooter.

New line: "Crack crack crack the egg into the bowl!"

dscross:

New line: "Crack crack crack the egg into the bowl!"

dscross:

Felstaff:

dscross:
"The old man was trying to tell the future, looking for pictures in the campfire" "Ooooh I seeeee evil!"

Heh, this quote from mine:

Felstaff:
They don't make animations like THAT anymore.

was directly referencing this game. A few lines before it says "Nobody tells ROBERT FOSTER what to do, lady!"

That one was too subtle for me.

It's an easter egg from Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror where secondary protagonist Nico stumbles into a scene from Beneath a Steel Sky. I was so happy when I found it, way back in 1997. I even wrote to a bunch of gaming magazines telling them how to find it. None of them published my letter.

Couple more, rather famous, quotes:

"There was a time I would do anything for my sister, I mean the first time I ever killed was for my sister."

"I was just finishing up my twelfth hour on patrol when I got the call. Welcome relief considering that the most action I had seen all night was a schizoid grandmother doing the shimmy in her underwear in the second sector."

Ima Lemming:

Auron225:

Ima Lemming:

You were lurking in this topic just waiting for somebody to quote Auron, weren't you?

"I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man. He never dies."

I actually wasn't :P But I can certainly see why it looks that way!

Also, that quote is from Balthier (FFXII), right?

Felstaff:

"I was just finishing up my twelfth hour on patrol when I got the call. Welcome relief considering that the most action I had seen all night was a schizoid grandmother doing the shimmy in her underwear in the second sector."

Westwood's Blade Runner. What a game.

Since two out of three quotes i posted remain unanswered, here are the answers in spoilers and three new ones:

1. What kind of sick man sends BABIES to fight me?
2. Like the good ol' days after 9/11!
3. Although over time my husband will desire me less sexually, he will always enjoy my pies.

Hopefully, these will be less obscure.

MrCalavera:

1. What kind of sick man sends BABIES to fight me?

Teams Are Being Scram... I mean TeamFortress 2

-Here, here, here we go,
so they're finally here,
performing for you,
if you know the words,
you can join in too!

MrCalavera:

3. Although over time my husband will desire me less sexually, he will always enjoy my pies.

Psychonauts!

"It's not a question of can or can't, it's a question of will or won't."

-Hint: One of the greatest RPG games in existence from one of the best RPG franchises in existence.

Johnny Novgorod:

Drathnoxis:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

dscross:

Drathnoxis:

Sinistar! God that was the scariest thing in an arcade shooter.

Yes and yes.

Ima Lemming:

Drathnoxis:
"Children are pure, they know who's the strongest!"

Is this Killer7? I recall the Luchador whose name eludes me mentioning something about children...

Yes, Mask de Smith.

Saulkar:
-Here, here, here we go,
so they're finally here,
performing for you,
if you know the words,
you can join in too!

D K. Donkey Kong. HUH!

Auron225:

Also, that quote is from Balthier (FFXII), right?

Correct.

Two more:

You woke me from a long sleep. Now, I have no more use for you. I'll take over your army and rule the world.

What, you're going to fight against me? You damn fool.

BURN TO THE BURN TO THE BURN TO THE GROUND! BURN TO THE GROUND! BURN! BURN! AUUUUUGH! BU-BURN TO THE WOOO! BURN TO THE AUUUUGH! BURN THE GROUND! BURN TO THE GROUND! BURN AUUUUUGH! BURN TO THE BURN! BURN TO THE GROUND!

Marik2:
Touch the demon inside me.

Demons souls.

And it's hard to think there wasn't an intentional double entendre there.

"I never felt that comfortable being human in the first place. This isn't much worse."

Ima Lemming:

BURN TO THE BURN TO THE BURN TO THE GROUND! BURN TO THE GROUND! BURN! BURN! AUUUUUGH! BU-BURN TO THE WOOO! BURN TO THE AUUUUGH! BURN THE GROUND! BURN TO THE GROUND! BURN AUUUUUGH! BURN TO THE BURN! BURN TO THE GROUND!

I forget the name of the boss, but that's Megaman X7.

Here are my quotes (though a few are from memory):

Quote #1: "Shame on you, you greedy guts! Thought you could outwit an onion?"
Quote #2: "Mmmmm, Buzz Cola"
Quote #3: "Thief, eh? Well, it's never too late to change your ways."

Ah hell, let's see if I can toss a few in here. Good luck figuring them out!

Quote 1: You cannot unring a bell.

Quote 2: DOOM! Doom! Da-doom doom doom! Doom doom!

Quote 3(Two Parts):
"I am getting real tired of dying all the time."
"Perhaps we should stop DYING then."

"Tim! They've got your wife!"
"But I'm not married!"
"You are now! To America!"

Rangaman:

Quote #2: "Mmmmm, Buzz Cola"

Simpsons: Hit & Run :) I loved that game!

Drathnoxis:
"But I'm not married!"

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City? I think I remember that from one of the radio adverts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No-one answered my previous one I don't think, so a new one I guess?

"Right into next week!"
"I've traveled back in time from next week. Please stop throwing monsters at us."

Rangaman:

Ima Lemming:

I forget the name of the boss, but that's Megaman X7.

Flame Hyenard

Auron225:

Drathnoxis:
"But I'm not married!"

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City? I think I remember that from one of the radio adverts.

Yeah.

immortalfrieza:

There was a less obvious Planescape:Torment quote on page 1. Early in the game, but not one of the most repeated lines from the game.

Still surprised no one answered mine from page 2, I didn't think they were terribly hard:

Schadrach:

Line 1:

And there's the greatest triumph of all, to have compelled the one player who could choose into doing exactly what we required. Well done, faithful servant.

Line 2:

Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.

Schadrach:

Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.

Thief the Dark Project.

Dalisclock:

Schadrach:

Thief the Dark Project.

You are meant to put in a new quote when you guess one. I'll do it for you...

"Ah...! The Masamune!!! I bet you're just dying to use it! The black wind begins to blow... Okay... give me your best shot... If you're prepared for the void!"

dscross:

Dalisclock:

Schadrach:

Thief the Dark Project.

You are meant to put in a new quote when you guess one. I'll do it for you...

"Ah...! The Masamune!!! I bet you're just dying to use it! The black wind begins to blow... Okay... give me your best shot... If you're prepared for the void!"

Chrono Trigger.

I'm better at answering them then coming up with ones to put in there.

But here's one.

"I have nightmare eyes!"

Chessrook44:
Ah hell, let's see if I can toss a few in here. Good luck figuring them out!

Quote 1: You cannot unring a bell.

Quote 2: DOOM! Doom! Da-doom doom doom! Doom doom!

1: It's cheating a bit since it's not the original source for the line, but Geneforge. At the end, if I recall.

2: Probably wrong on this one, but my brain jumps immediately to Deekin from NWN and his Doom Song. Probably the wrong pattern of "Doom"s though.

Here are a couple more to guess, this time from some of the less well-known games from my collection (as opposed to Thief and the other one I quoted before):

1. "A red crayon and... a red broach... A red rose and... red blood... Red is the most beautiful color, yet it comes at a price."

2. "How will the knowledge of your past affect the way you live today? This is a matter for you and you alone to face."

MrCalavera:

Planescape: Torment?

Nope. In the right genre though.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook