A Shadow in the Void: Episode 1 (Begun!)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

It is the year 2287 Common Era - Humanity has spread among the stars of the Milky Way Galaxy. Great technological advances have led to extra-Solar colonisation, instantaneous interstellar transportation, and medical techniques beyond anything known in the current world. Humanity is led under the banner of the Intersolar Terran Confederacy - a loose governing body that mainly regulates trade between the colonies and with the Galaxy at large, as well as inter-species relations, a basic charter of laws and regulations, the ITC Navy, and a Federal Investigative Directorate.

Humanity has established diplomatic relations with a number of other alien species that inhabit the Galaxy, notably the Raz'el, the Hancher, the Tanar'i, the Molochea and the S'Jet. Together with the ITC (and with the exception of the S'Jet), these races form the Quorum - an interstellar body similar to that of the present day U.N. - with humanity being the newest member, joining only 50 years prior to the current date.

Since its humble beginnings in one of the many spiral arms of the Milky Way, humanity has become a force to be reckoned with and a major power on the galactic stage, said by many to be at the height of its Golden Age. Yet despite the newfound galactic stability that humanity has brought with it to the galaxy, dark things are afoot, and all is not what it seems. Threats lurk in the galaxy, both those that have yet to be encountered, and those which have not truly been consigned to history.

I've been thinking up this RP for a while now and I figured now that I have the story sorted, at least for the first episode, it was time to put it into action!

The premise, as you can see above, is that humanity has spread throughout the Milky Way, encountering other alien species as it goes, and is adopted as the fifth member of the Quorum - a galactic alliance of the five most powerful known species who agree to cooperate in trade, military and territorial matters.

Mankind's expansion has been peaceful, aside from one event, colloquially known as 'The Incident', in which a small frontier colony was obliterated by the Intersolar Terran Confederacy Navy for reasons unknown to the general populace. However, despite this relatively peaceful expansion, dark times are about to engulf the galaxy.

The RP begins in the militia barracks in Cilph, the capital of a newly colonised planet, Archon, in the Mjolnir system. A small outlying settlement, Aberdale, has sent a transmission to the planetary governor saying that their detachment of Ivets ('involuntary transportees' - criminals who have been shipped to frontier colonies to work off their debt to society for a number of years) has revolted. As such, the colonists are requesting a squad of troopers from the 2nd Archon Colonial Militia to help them in restoring order - your characters will be part of this squad. While the squad works towards this objective, it will be observed by a Captain from the ITC Marine Corps interested in new recruits - humans only I'm afraid. Don't just expect a plain old run-and-gun experience though, things are not as they seem.

If you want to brush up on any of the tech mentioned here, you can find information on the alien races, technology of the ITC and the history of humanity in the Codex here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/362.146469

The RP User Group can be found here - http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/A-Shadow-in-the-Void

Many thanks to Samuel_of_Saruan for agreeing to co-GM!

Accepted:

ae86gamer
Samuel_of_Saruan
Time Travelling Toaster
ThreeWords
Portal Maniac
CosmicCommander
Lost In The Void
the fifth
darkenergy134

Any problems let me know Lock :)
Edited to be more personal, hope it's still alright :D

darkenergy134:

I'll edit it so it's more in depth later. But right now, I've gotta run.

Looking good, just give me a shout when you've edited it.

I has edited! Check out and re-assess!

how about now?

the fifth:
*snip*

Please edit your sheet to improve the grammar and add some more depth to the Bio. I already asked for decent spelling and grammar in the OP and I was hoping for something a little more in-depth than 'likes to fight, got hit on the head' for a backstory...

Also, the plasma gunner spot has been claimed by darkenergy134.

This is long, but it's edited to make it work!

Edited!

CosmicCommander:
This is long, sorry for any story contradictions or grammatical errors!

I'm liking the character, but I'll PM some edits that I need you to make :)

LockHeart:

CosmicCommander:
This is long, sorry for any story contradictions or grammatical errors!

I'm liking the character, but I'll PM some edits that I need you to make :)

I have a feeling this is something to do with Ph'Kor....

the fifth:

how about now?

I'd be happy to accept you so long as you promise to use capital letters :)

darkenergy134:

If more detail is needed, just message me.

I'm liking the look of this :) Just one or two things need editing.

If I need to change anything, just say so.

CosmicCommander:

Edited!

Edited Baby!

ThreeWords:

I has edited! Check out and re-assess!

CosmicCommander:

CosmicCommander:

Edited!

Edited Baby!

Good stuff guys, accepted :D

Crap I never knew we could modify our weapons ;_; can I edit my stuff to make it more personal (but not overpowered of course ^-^)?

Time Travelling Toaster:
Crap I never knew we could modify our weapons ;_; can I edit my stuff to make it more personal (but not overpowered of course ^-^)?

Yeah sure, but try and keep it to personal effects. I guess since you're militia on a newly colonised world regulations will be a little more lax :)

Portal Maniac:

I CAN HAZ EDIT?

Portal Maniac:

Portal Maniac:

I CAN HAZ EDIT?

Great stuff :D

Bah, disregard.

Not sure if there is room but here is a sheet

Lost In The Void:
Not sure if there is room but here is a sheet

Looks good, but your character's unlikely to have seen a lot of action - Archon is a newly colonised, peaceful planet: the militia won't have been needed yet bar the odd riot or anti-pirate mission in the system. Would you mind a minor edit?

Other than that, nice sheet, consider yourself accepted :D

How much longer until this baby fires up?

I WANNA BE THE MYTHBUSTER MEDIC NOW!!!

Lockheart:

darkenergy134:

And what would those one or two things be?

Portal Maniac:

As long as we have to wait...

darkenergy134:

Lockheart:

darkenergy134:

And what would those one or two things be?

Didn't you get my PM? O_o Hang on, I'll resend it.

CosmicCommander:

Portal Maniac:

As long as we have to wait...

Portal Maniac:

I'm planning on starting up tomorrow guys. I've got to travel up to my house in York and move some stuff in, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to post the opener at around 5-6pm (GMT) :D

Alright, nice job guys, liking the sheets :D I'm going to start this thing on Monday, hopefully around 5-6pm GMT. If anyone would like me to start sometime later, give me a shout!

LockHeart:
Alright, nice job guys, liking the sheets :D I'm going to start this thing on Monday, hopefully around 5-6pm GMT. If anyone would like me to start sometime earlier, give me a shout!

I would...

CosmicCommander:

LockHeart:
Alright, nice job guys, liking the sheets :D I'm going to start this thing on Monday, hopefully around 5-6pm GMT. If anyone would like me to start sometime earlier, give me a shout!

I would...

I can't start earlier - I'm travelling up to my house in York tomorrow, I'll only be able to post from that time onwards. It'll only be the opener though.

Yeah that's cool, I was just joking with ya brain...

CosmicCommander:
Yeah that's cool, I was just joking with ya brain...

*facepalm*

I fail at understanding things sometimes O_o

EDIT: I also just noticed that I've practically repeated myself for two consecutive posts...

Apologies for the double post. Just a quick note to everyone who's tried to join the User Group - I've been trying to accept you all but I keep getting error messages O_o I've PMed a few of the mods so hopefully they can help me sort it.

But yes, come 6.30pm I'll have this thing rolling :D

It's 6:53, still no rolling! =D

Archon, a small, newly colonised Intersolar Terran Confederacy world in the Mjolnir system.

Atmosphere: Human-compatible oxygen-nitrogen mix

Climate: Temperate near equator, arctic conditions of varying severity near poles

Colony Stage Classification: 1 (requires significant external support to function, still in early development)

Population: 753,486 at time of last census (2250 C.E.)

Planetary Capital: Cilph, population - 406,591

Other notable population centres: Zurich, Amarisk

Significant resources: Moderate deposits of titanium, chrome and promethium. None yet exploited.

Tactical Significane: Low

The man sighed as he read the data slate, the lines around his eyes creasing as he frowned in exasperation.

"Damn backwater."

A polite cough from Colonel Matthews brought the man's attention back to his current situation. Looking up, he met the Colonel's jaundiced gaze and looked away, uninterested and unconcerned that the man had taken offence. The briefing room was empty aside from him and the Colonel, the squad that had been picked for the mission was en route. Sturdy and well-made, the room was typical of what he had seen of the militia headquarters in Cilph - rugged, sturdy and durable, constructed out of reinforced concrete with armour plating embedded in the walls and foundations. If the place was ever attacked, it could easily shrug off a lengthy barrage and would be able to resist a short orbital bombardment more than adequately.

If anyone ever wanted to attack this place.

Another cough from the Colonel brought the man out of his reverie, and he saw that the man was offering him a hip flask.

"Drink?"

The man shook his head, noting the tang of alcohol that wafted along with the Colonel's breath. His red nose, steadily growing gut and crumpled uniform hinted at a pretty serious alcohol dependency, one that could end in his career being terminated prematurely. A pang of apprehension echoed in the man's head, though his face showed nothing. Hopefully this problem had not affected Matthews' ability to put together a decent squad.

"No, thanks."

A knock at the door caused both men to turn their heads as the Colonel's aide, a young Second Lieutenant named Jones, entered, swiftly saluting both men.

"Colonel, the troopers you asked to see have arrived."

Matthews nodded, but it was the man who spoke.

"Bring them in."

As Jones left to call the sqaud in, the man stood, feeling his battle armour flex around him. The squad filed in, forming a line and standing to attention. The Colonel stood and told them to sit before standing up and glancing at the datapad he held.

"Erm right, yes. You're probably wondering why you've been called here. We have a situation developing in Aberdale, a small settlement on the fringes of the equatorial zone, home to approximately two hundred people. The uh..."

The Colonel looked at the man expectantly, watching as he took a step forward, fixing each of the troopers with a level gaze.

"I am Captain James Roberts, from 2nd Battalion, 303rd Marine Regiment. The situation referenced by your Colonel arose approximately 8 hours ago - the Ivet population in Aberdale has begun to riot, causing extensive damage to the settlement. The situation has gotten so out of hand that the settlement Overseer sent an urgent request for a squad of militia to be airlifted to Aberdale, with the goal of reinforcing the local Marshals and citizenry and helping them restore order. Seeing as the Archon militia has only been recently formed and is in its infancy, High Command dispatched me to observe how you handle the situation - the last thing we need is for news of a successful Ivet uprising to reach the larger settlements, it would bring the others confidence and bring this planet's development to a halt, even potentially encouraging pirate attacks. Do a good job, and you can expect an offer to join the Marines, we always need good troopers."

He looked around at the assembled troopers.

"I understand that you may have some questions, so feel free to ask."

Carson walked into the concrete room, and did the standard salute routine with the other militiamen. He noticed he was the only one wearing a helmet, that wasn't good, people though he was an oddball, obviously they were yet to see his true face.

He looked at the stuttering colonel, and beneath his helmet he contorted his face in a manner of disgust. He hated those brass types, getting in bureaucracy rather than ability. He was glad when he was butted in by a much more relatable man.

Carson liked this guy, not stuck up, and not dodging the facts; he hated it when his superiors tried to constantly fluff up the situation. He looked around the room, his covered face making the others interpret nothing of his rare interest in something.

The offer to join the marines made this even more interesting- Tyson could never shut up about them, so this was something not to be missed.

But there was a lingering doubt in Carson's mind, so he voiced it, it was a rarity to speak to fellow military men, but his deep, commanding voice seemed to generally impress them:

"I am Sergeant Montague, Sir." He said gently to the Captain, yet he could mistake his voice for that of Goliath's, "What are the numbers we'll be against, and with?"

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked