Rebel Moon Behind the scenes

Zack Snyder’s Rebel Moon Has an Atrocious Score on Rotten Tomatoes

This director’s turbulent relationship with critics isn’t getting any better. Zack Snyder’s Rebel Moon has debuted to an atrocious score on Rotten Tomatoes.

Recommended Videos

Ahead of the film’s release in theaters and on Netflix, Rebel Moon – Part One: A Child of Fire had its premiere earlier this week and held screenings for critics all over the country. Being that this is a Snyder movie, it’s no surprise that the critical reception is a topic of controversy, but Rebel Moon is taking things to another level. As of writing, the film has a 17% approval rating on the Tomatometer based on 24 reviews.

Snyder’s movies being panned on Rotten Tomatoes is nothing new. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice still holds a putrid 29%, and even some of his more successful films, like Watchmen and Zack Snyder’s Justice League, barely crack the “fresh” threshold. Of course, critics are only one part of a larger equation, but any negative reception to a piece of Snyder’s work becomes a massive topic of conversation online. And that’s not likely to change with Rebel Moon.

Related: Zack Snyder’s Army of the Dead and Rebel Moon Share a Universe

However, despite all the discourse that’s on its way, Snyder is likely more focused on working on the second part of his two-part sci-fi epic. In fact, he already has some actors in mind for future projects set in the universe – well, not all of them are actors. “I think if I could get LeBron James in the movie… I know that sounds crazy,” Snyder told Variety. “I’m just saying… but yeah, we’ll see as the story evolves.”

Based on this initial reception, it’s hard to confidently say that the story will evolve beyond these first two movies, but Snyder has a massive fanbase, one that almost always finds a way to get more from their favorite filmmaker.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article What Is the Song in the Deadpool 3 Trailer? Answered
Read Article Watcher Addresses Streaming Service Controversy
Read Article Is Deadpool 3 in the MCU? Explained
Related Content
Read Article What Is the Song in the Deadpool 3 Trailer? Answered
Read Article Watcher Addresses Streaming Service Controversy
Read Article Is Deadpool 3 in the MCU? Explained
Author
Jackson Hayes
Jackson Hayes is an Associate Editor at The Escapist. Starting his writing career in 2017, he quickly rose the ranks and became an editor. He's spent the last six years working at outlets such as CBR, Heroic Hollywood and Full Circle Cinema, where he's covered various sports games, Call of Duty, the MCU, and other major properties. You can follow him on Twitter @jacksonhayes67