free Restored Content DLC canceled Star Wars KOTOR 2 Nintendo Switch release date June 8, 2022 Aspyr Obsidian Entertainment RPG Knights of the Old Republic II The Sith Lords

KOTOR 2 Restored Content DLC Canceled for Switch, Aspyr Offering Free Game

Port developer Aspyr has canceled the free Restored Content DLC that it promised for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II – The Sith Lords over a year ago when the KOTOR 2 Switch port was first announced. Aspyr gave no reason for why the free DLC was canceled or why it took so long to admit defeat on content that has already existed on PC for years, but it’s a pretty bad look for the company, especially since a lot of people bought KOTOR 2 on Switch specifically for the restored content. However, Aspyr is at least aware of how lousy the optics are on this, and it is now offering a choice of free Star Wars game to those who bought KOTOR 2 on Switch.

Recommended Videos

If you go to support.aspyr.com and submit proof of purchase for the game on Switch, you can request a game key for one of the following games for free:

• Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II – The Sith Lords (Steam, where you can play the restored content)
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Switch)
  • Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Switch)
  • Star Wars: Republic Commando (Switch)
  • Star Wars Episode I: Racer (Switch)
  • Star Wars: Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast (Switch)
  • Star Wars: Jedi Knight Jedi Academy (Switch)

For those who could use a refresher, the original release of KOTOR 2 from Obsidian Entertainment in 2004 was basically rushed to market for Christmas, resulting in a lot of unfinished content that lingered in the game’s code but was not actually implemented into the final product. However, in the ensuing years, modders were able to patch up, complete, and restore much of this content for the PC version. Thus, the Restored Content DLC on Switch was to offer “new crew dialogue and interactions, a bonus mission starring HK-47, and a new revamped ending.” Now, none of that is coming.

Still, all things considered, offering a free extra game is probably the best way Aspyr could have handled this messy situation. Although, it is worth noting that, if Aspyr doesn’t even have the resources to complete free DLC for a KOTOR 2 port, it’s no wonder the developer had to be removed from developing the Knights of the Old Republic remake.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Oldboy Is Getting an English-Language TV Adaptation
Read Article Don’t Worry, the Fallout Show Didn’t Actually Retcon New Vegas
Read Article Dragon Ball Fans Can’t Contain Their Excitement Over Sparking ZERO’s One-Armed Gohan
Future Gohan looking mad in Dragon Ball.
Related Content
Read Article Oldboy Is Getting an English-Language TV Adaptation
Read Article Don’t Worry, the Fallout Show Didn’t Actually Retcon New Vegas
Read Article Dragon Ball Fans Can’t Contain Their Excitement Over Sparking ZERO’s One-Armed Gohan
Future Gohan looking mad in Dragon Ball.
Author
John Friscia
Former Managing Editor at The Escapist. I have been writing about video games since 2018 and editing writing on IT, project management, and video games for around a decade. I have an English degree, but Google was a more valuable learning resource. I taught English in South Korea for a year in 2018, and it was exponentially more fun than living in Pennsylvania. My major passions in life are SNES, Japanese RPGs, Berserk, and K-pop. I'm currently developing the game Boss Saga with my brother, which is guaranteed to change your life and you should buy it.