How Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 Sets Up a Sequel

Marvel's Spider-Man 2

Warning: The following article on how Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 sets up a sequel contains spoilers.

Recommended Videos

Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 doesn’t end on a cliffhanger, so you needn’t worry about having purchased half a game. However, if you’re wondering how Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 sets up a sequel, here’s what I think.

How Marvel’s Spider-Man 2’s Post-Credit Scene Could Lead Into a Sequel

There are some loose ends that Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 could pick up on. Not every villain survives to fight again, but there are still enough to cause problems for Miles and Peter. One big part of the ending, though, sees Norman Osborn talking about the “G-Serum,” which suggests we’re getting Green Goblin in Marvel’s Spider-Man 3. Whether that’s Norman or his son, Harry Osborn, isn’t clear.

But it’s the post-credit scenes for Marvel’s Spdier-Man 2 that really sets up a sequel, with the appearance of two characters, one old, one new. The first scene has Norman Osborn visiting Otto Octavius, aka Doctor Octopus, who is still imprisoned on the Raft. Osborn asks him to reveal Spider-Man’s identity (both of them) but he brushes him off and talks about writing “the final chapter.”

Related: Is Marvel’s Spider-Man 2’s Deluxe Edition Worth Buying or Upgrading For?

Doctor Otto Octavius, AKA Doctor Octopus, in Marvel's Spider-Man 2 as part of an article about how its ending sets up a sequel.

They’re never going to be friends, given that Octavius holds a grudge against Osborn, but now they have a common enemy. We could be getting a team-up in Marvel’s Spider-Man 3.

The second post-credit scene might not make a lot of sense unless you’ve read Marvel’s Silk comic, or are particularly familiar with the Spider-Verse. This scene introduces Cindy Moon, who in the comics, is revealed to have been bitten by the same spider that bit Peter Parker. She goes on to become the web-slinging superhero known as Silk.

It’s unlikely that Cindy Moon already has spider powers but it’s possible she’ll get them in the third Spider-Man game. Marvel’s Spider-Man has one Spider-Man, Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 has two and, well, I’ll let you do the math.

So, if you were curious as to how Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 sets up a sequel, it hints at the return of Doctor Octopus, the creation of the Green Goblin and the introduction of Silk, a third spider-powered superhero.

If you’re looking for more on the game, check out what we know about Marvel Spider-Man 2’s New Game+ mode.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Monopoly GO Free Dice Rolls Links (March 2024)
Monopoly Go. But is it down?
Read Article Untitled Attack on Titan Codes (March 2024)
Untitled Attack on Titan Official Artwork
Read Article War Simulator Codes (March 2024)
War Simulator promo image
Related Content
Read Article Monopoly GO Free Dice Rolls Links (March 2024)
Monopoly Go. But is it down?
Read Article Untitled Attack on Titan Codes (March 2024)
Untitled Attack on Titan Official Artwork
Read Article War Simulator Codes (March 2024)
War Simulator promo image
Author
Chris McMullen
Freelance contributor at The Escapist. I've returned to writing about games after a couple of career changes, with my recent stint lasting five-plus years. I hope, through my writing work, to settle the karmic debt I incurred by persuading my parents to buy a Mega CD. Aside from writing for The Escapist, I also cover news and more for GameSpew. I've also been published at other sites including VG247, Space, and more. My tastes run to horror, the post-apocalyptic, and beyond, though I'll tackle most things that aren't exclusively sports-based.