Clicks and Giggles: Riddle Me This

Pages PREV 1 . . . 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 . . . 36 NEXT

Lizmichi:
Three friends check into a motel for the night and the clerk tells them the bill is $30, payable in advance. So, they each pay the clerk $10 and go to their room. A few minutes later, the clerk realizes he has made an error and overcharged the trio by $5. He asks the bellhop to return $5 to the 3 friends who had just checked in. The bellhop sees this as an opportunity to make $2 as he reasons that the three friends would have a tough time dividing $5 evenly among them; so he decides to tell them that the clerk made a mistake of only $3, giving a dollar back to each of the friends. He pockets the leftover $2 and goes home for the day! Now, each of the three friends gets a dollar back, thus they each paid $9 for the room which is a total of $27 for the night. We know the bellhop pocketed $2 and adding that to the $27, you get $29, not $30 which was originally spent. Where did the other dollar go????

it does rely quite heavily on people not being able to spot that 25 is non-divisible by 3

CounterAttack:
I walk into a room with no exit. The door has locked behind me; there is no way out. So I simply fall through the floor, land on the ceiling and continue on my way.

What video game am I playing?[1]

is it portal?

[1] No cheats or hacks or anything like that.

voldemort101:

CounterAttack:
I walk into a room with no exit. The door has locked behind me; there is no way out. So I simply fall through the floor, land on the ceiling and continue on my way.

What video game am I playing?[1]

is it portal?

Yep. Specifically, one of the earlier levels where GLaDOS lies about not monitoring the test chamber.

[1] No cheats or hacks or anything like that.

Moar riddles!

Alright...

What has four fingers and a thumb, but is not a hand?

lol! a monkeys foot

A glove? Or is that still too close to a hand? xD

Tilted_Logic:
A glove? Or is that still too close to a hand? xD

No, that's fine. Besides, it's right.

Alright here's one:

You have 11 identical marbles and a 12th that is of a different weight than the rest (could be either lighter or heavier). You have a balance scale which you can use no more than 3 times to determine which of the 12 marbles is the odd one out.

Remember, the odd marble out can be either heavier or lighter than the rest, and you must use the scale to figure it out.

Hey guys. Been following this thread for a few weeks and thought I'd try my hand at one of the solutions:

Divide the 12 marbles into four groups of 3 (i.e. Groups 1, 2, 3, and 4)
Take two of the groups of 3 (e.g. 1 and 2) and weigh them against each other
Replace one of the groups (2) with another (3)
-- If 1 and 2 weighed equally, but 1 and 3 did not, then Group 3 contains the "odd" marble
-- If 1 and 2 did not weigh equally, but 1 and 3 did, then Group 2 " "
-- If 1 and 2 did not weigh equally, and 1 and 3 did not weigh equally, then Group 1 " "
-- If 1, 2 and 3 all weighed equally, then Group 4 " "

Take two marbles from whichever group contains the "odd" marble and weigh them against each other
-- If they weigh equally, the third marble is the "odd" marble
-- If they do not weigh equally, ????

And with that, I'm going to go ahead and call this one impossible. Any way I can figure it, you need at least 4 weighings to be able to conclusively get the answer. But feel free to either springboard off this or show me a better way, because now I'm really curious :)

EDIT: Just looked up the answer and though I'd weigh in (pun intended): the answer I found (which I'll link to) is a good bit more complicated than what I came up with, but definitely possible; props to Tilted_Logic on a real brain-cruncher :D

[SPOILER] http://www.numericana.com/answer/weighing.htm#weighing

sorry guys im back...what goes up white and comes down yellow?

An egg?

a diaper

Sorry for the slow reply. Very good attempt darkapothem2000, I definitely had some real trouble with the marble conundrum when I first came across it too; I love how the order of solving it changes depending on your luck during the weighing.

darkapothem2000:
Just looked up the answer and though I'd weigh in (pun intended): the answer I found (which I'll link to) is a good bit more complicated than what I came up with, but definitely possible

If no one else wants to give it a shot then the torch can be passed on to someone else. ;)

At the risk of violating decorum (since I didn't actually get it right), I'll go ahead and share one:

I live in a room with no walls or windows and only one exit
No guards or shackles, only a single chain
I've spent my entire life in this prison; yet when my time is done and I am released, I will not have lost a single day of my life

Who am I?

darkapothem2000:
At the risk of violating decorum (since I didn't actually get it right), I'll go ahead and share one:

I've spent my entire life in this prison; yet when my time is done and I am released, I will not have lost a single day of my life

Who am I?

A timer/clock?

darkapothem2000:

Who am I?

I think Spoon got it. Though I'd say a pocket watch to be more specific.

EDIT: The above was meant to be an elaboration on Spoon's response, and not a response of my own. But just in case it counts as a second attempt, I'll put my guess in a spoiler warning

X10J:

darkapothem2000:

Who am I?

You got it, X10J :D

X10J:
An egg?

no

darkapothem2000:
a diaper

and no

darkapothem2000:

X10J:

darkapothem2000:

Who am I?

You got it, X10J :D

Sweetness. Sooo, should I post a riddle, or are we waiting for Voldemort?
Also, you can call me J.

X10J:

Sweetness. Sooo, should I post a riddle, or are we waiting for Voldemort?
Also, you can call me J.

I believe it's your turn :)

hey guys we have 2 riddles running at once and a third one on its way... so to hopefully clear the bored....
darkapothem posted the answer to the 12 marble riddle if you wish to see the answer go for it

darkapothem2000:

[SPOILER] http://www.numericana.com/answer/weighing.htm#weighing

but darkapothem please don't do this there is no point in trying to answer a riddle when someone has just posted a link to it.

voldemort101:
what goes up white and comes down yellow?

voldemort101:
An egg?

no

i did not answer this because i always hear the answer as "EGG" so i googled it and got..
Robin: [pointing toward the sky] That crazy missile! It wrote two more riddles before it blew up!
Batman: [reading a skywritten message] "What goes up white and comes down yellow and white?"
Robin: An egg!
source:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060153/quotes
and if batman says it right who am i to argue.

Please ppl read the rules to this form. i have been following it for the beginning and don't wish to see it die because it turned in to a jumble of riddle as ppl can't wait their turn.
with that said one riddle at a time and ONLY post if you have answered the last one or the person that has answered the last one said anyone can post.
SO

X10J:

j

I believe it's your turn :)

A man steals three golden balls from a Buddhist temple. While escaping he discovers that an old bridge is his only means of crossing a river. He can not swim. The bridge can only hold his weight, and the weight of two of the balls. How did he cross the bridge in one trip, and with all of the balls in his possession?

X10J:
A man steals three golden balls from a Buddhist temple. While escaping he discovers that an old bridge is his only means of crossing a river. He can not swim. The bridge can only hold his weight, and the weight of two of the balls. How did he cross the bridge in one trip, and with all of the balls in his possession?

Did he juggle all the way across?

X10J:

he juggles the three balls so that no more then two of them are in his hand at one time.

Tilted_Logic:

X10J:

Did he juggle all the way across?

Yup, have at it.

I thought for sure I'd be wrong and the answer would have something to do with the fact it was a Buddhist temple; yay for simplicity! :P

Riddle:
I washed my face in water
That was never rained or run
I dried it with a towel
That was never wove or spun

What did I wash my face with, and how was it dried?

i was thinking rain or tear.... but what to dry with???
[edit]-i googled so i will pow out, but the answer made me shake my head.

The riddle specifically states the water wasn't rain :P
And shaking your head? I don't know if that's good or bad O_o

You washed in the dew and you dried in the sun

jayjaykoolaid:

Correct :) Your go.

Tilted_Logic:

jayjaykoolaid:

Correct :) Your go.

Sweetnesss. I run but I do not walk. What am I?

I run but I do not walk. What am I?

That could refer to any of a number of devices that can be said to "run" without actually walking: e.g. a clock, a computer, a lawnmower, etc.

I know that taking guesses that cover multiple things like this is cheeky at best, but I feel like two ambiguously worded riddles in a row is a bit much... My apologies for being a "noodge".

Water.

darkapothem2000,your close enuf. I was thinking about a train but your examples are all good. Your go man.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 . . . 36 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here