The Problem the Dead Space Remake Really Needs to Fix EA Motive Studios Visceral Games fetch quests

The Problem the Dead Space Remake Really Needs to Fix

Meet Isaac Clarke: engineer, marine, Necromorph killer, and hapless dogsbody to anyone with a communicator. That last part may seem a little harsh given all that Isaac goes through across the course of Dead Space, but it’s the one thing stopping this space-based survival horror from being a truly great game — and it’s something the upcoming remake sorely needs to fix.

Recommended Videos

Granted, the game still does plenty well. Dead Space isn’t particularly pretty by today’s standards, but it’s still harrowing to see an undead Necromorph wrench your character’s head off, crawl down their neck hole, and take their decapitated corpse for a spin; witnessing that in 4K will no doubt beget many a sleepless night. In fact, when Dead Space gets things right, it’s absolutely sublime. Body-jacking is just the tip of the gore-smeared iceberg. There are so many glorious, gruesome notes of horror.

For example, forcing you to sever the Necromorphs’ limbs is a stroke of genius, not just because it shakes combat up but because you don’t have the luxury of being able to shoot “sleeping” corpses in the head. Coming down from a particularly bloody encounter, I spent the next five minutes stomping on every dead body I found, just so the Necromorphs couldn’t reanimate them. I still feel a twinge of guilt for all those closed-casket funerals I was responsible for.

But when the viscera settles, you remember that you’re locked into an apparently unending series of fetch quests. The rush you feel at slaughtering your way to an objective and destroying or retrieving the MacGuffin is diminished by the knowledge that, any minute now, you’re going to get another call from whichever of your two surviving shipmates happens to be bleating at you from behind closed doors.

The Problem the Dead Space Remake Really Needs to Fix EA Motive Studios Visceral Games fetch quests

They’ll inform you that, yes, you’ve spent an hour gathering the components to poison the alien biomass, so well done for that. But in order to pump it into the ventilation system, you’re going to have to kill six poison-spewing Necromorphs, all of which are scattered over a copiously large area. Do I sound bitter? Spending 10 hours discovering problem after massively inconvenient problem will do that. Yes, you’re the ship’s engineer, but the tasks you’re force-fed could be completed by a vodka-addled chimpanzee.

“Hang on,” you might be thinking, “aren’t fetch quests a common fixture of many games?” You’d be right, too. The problem with Dead Space is that it does an exceptionally poor job of disguising that fact compared to most other titles, and it doesn’t do much for your motivation as a player or to enrich the narrative.

Take Resident Evil 2 — as Leon, your orders are initially doled out by Lieutenant Marvin Branagh, but he’s a hugely sympathetic character compared to your Dead Space compatriots. This is a man who, despite being grievously wounded, puts his life on the line to save yours. You want him to survive, and that’s what drives you to gather up all those elaborately shaped keys, that and getting to shoot zombies in the face.

Claire, too, has Sherry Birkin to protect, and in both cases, you’re the one to discover the obstacles you need to overcome. Despite Marvin’s initial briefing, he’s never barking in your ear. The further you push onwards, the more taxing Resident Evil 2’s obstacles become, but from a narrative standpoint, it makes perfect sense. As willfully incompetent as the Umbrella Corporation is, it doesn’t want just anyone poking around.

You can’t complete Resident Evil 2 unless you tackle its problems, but letting you stumble across them helps maintain the illusion that you’re in the driver’s seat. On a couple of occasions Dead Space tries to get away with its incessant habit of throwing obstacles in your path by acknowledging, in a near fourth-wall breaking moment, that nothing’s going right. It doesn’t work, and if anything, it’s just embarrassing.

But a solution is within Dead Space’s grasp, and it’s a deceptively simple one: let the player piss people off. Because Dead Space provides an antagonist around the halfway mark, and the opportunities the game provides to annoy the hell out of them are a real joy. Pressing your bare arse cheeks against a laboratory window might not enrage a Necromorph, but there’s nothing as satisfying as hearing an arch-enemy seethe.

Even if you’re still undertaking thoughtlessly menial tasks, your reward is listening to this true believer’s temperature rise, their cool exterior giving way to frustration. As I exited the mining bay, having launched a distress beacon into space, I wasn’t wondering whether I’d get a response, nor was I grumbling at the prospect of being given yet another tedious task. Instead, I was grinning in anticipation of how poorly my newly acquired nemesis was going to react. The game would do well to provide more of these opportunities and sooner in the narrative.

The new Dead Space is set to be a true remake, not a remaster, so there’s every chance it’ll dispense with or at least disguise all its menial tasks. There’s a lot to love about Dead Space, from its horrifying lore, which goes beyond just skewering Scientology, to the sheer nightmare fuel of the Necromorphs themselves. It just deserves a take where you’re not the galaxy’s biggest gofer.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Robot Alchemic Drive Is the Giant Robot Remake We Need
we need a new or remake of Enix Sandlot giant robot game Robot Alchemic Drive RAD R.A.D. with its weird control scheme and camera angles
Read Article Sons of the Forest’s Horror Is at Its Best When You’re on the Run
Endnight Games Sons of the Forest is best when you are on the run from the horror cannibal swarm attack or mutants
Read Article Atomic Heart’s Wisecracks Only Make Its Cliches Look Worse
Atomic Heart knowing fourth-wall jokes about inane mission objectives are not funny but distracting and annoying and hurt the fun of gameplay from Mundfish.
Related Content
Read Article Robot Alchemic Drive Is the Giant Robot Remake We Need
we need a new or remake of Enix Sandlot giant robot game Robot Alchemic Drive RAD R.A.D. with its weird control scheme and camera angles
Read Article Sons of the Forest’s Horror Is at Its Best When You’re on the Run
Endnight Games Sons of the Forest is best when you are on the run from the horror cannibal swarm attack or mutants
Read Article Atomic Heart’s Wisecracks Only Make Its Cliches Look Worse
Atomic Heart knowing fourth-wall jokes about inane mission objectives are not funny but distracting and annoying and hurt the fun of gameplay from Mundfish.
Author
Chris McMullen
Chris McMullen is a freelance contributor at The Escapist and has been with the site since 2020. He returned to writing about games following several career changes, with his most recent stint lasting five-plus years. He hopes that, through his writing work, he settles the karmic debt he incurred by persuading his parents to buy a Mega CD. Outside of The Escapist, Chris covers news and more for GameSpew. He's also been published at such sites as VG247, Space, and more. His tastes run to horror, the post-apocalyptic, and beyond, though he'll tackle most things that aren't exclusively sports-based. At Escapist, he's covered such games as Infinite Craft, Lies of P, Starfield, and numerous other major titles.