The Escapist Forum-Gaming Guide

Pages 1 2 NEXT

A guide to helping you choose and create the right forum game.

What is a forum game? And what is this?:
In a nutshell, a forum game is a thread in which anyone is allowed to participate. This Forum fills that role by allowing users to create threads(commonly called Games or Forum Games) which are open for anyone and everyone to participate in. It has one basic objective which everyone has to fulfil. It's fun and one of the most efficient ways to get to know people.

And this is a guide for all newcomers and veterans. Basic knowledge everyone should have before creating or participating in a game.

Rules

I'll be honest with you here, Forum Games has a pretty good gig. The rules are not strictly enforced here and the probability of a flame war starting here is extremely small in any case. However, just because FG has more relaxation does not mean it's exempt from the rules.

• General Conduct
  • This is a no-brainer. Be nice to everyone. Do not, I repeat, do not take anything to heart. Only a fool would believe what's written here. Take everything in good spirits and be jolly! Keep it neat and clean. Do not partake in activities within the Forum Game which do not contribute to the game in any way. Offending users are liable to be warned and if the extent of the offense is serious, be permanently suspended i.e Banned.
  • Language
  • It's really eye opening when you see someone swearing terribly. But that's what the Off Topic is for. We, the people of Forum Games, are all Gentlemen and Ladies. Be polite, don't swear. Do not engage in conversations which are inappropriate and/or NSFW.
  • Exemption of that One Rule
  • Whilst all the rules in Code of Conduct are enforced ever so slightly, there's one which is especially exempt from these forums. The 'Low Content' Rule. As most forum game objectives usually result in one-worded replies, the Forum Games is graciously excluded from this rule. Thus, saving a lot of active players from being outright banned.
  • Consecutive Posting
  • Not a recommended course of action by a long shot. Remember, the Escapist servers are tasked with not only the forums but also the videos. Which doesn't seem like much when I say it like that but trust me, the servers become over burdened everytime you post consecutively to see your original post. I repeat, do not task the servers, if you don't see your post please wait a while, don't make it more complicated by posting more bytes of text.

Guide for game creators.

Game creator (GC), game master (GM) or simply original poster (OP). I'll go with game master or GM for the sake of understanding.

• Verification
  • The most important tool in your arsenal: the might search bar. First do a search before creating a forum game. It doesn't take long and it helps in keeping the place clean. Before creating a game thread, be sure to check that the previous version(if any) is still not active. Sometimes this job becomes harder 'cause most threads tend to 'sink' after a set time period. Having two avatar versus threads makes the place clutter up, especially since people happen to participate in both. Confusion may arise as to which game were you participating in case you forgot the name.
  • Originality
  • Let's face it: Here, if you have an idea, someone has already done it. But fear not! For if you're lucky, the original game thread has now died and been done away with. And now you can set up shop and let everyone become familiar with you and your methods of gaming. The most agreeable form of forum gaming is situational, by the way. For example, the Bed Thread. If, however, you're not so lucky and there is a thread which embodies what you envisioned, don't despair. This is a perfect opportunity for you can tinker with your/the GMs idea to see how far you can set the limits before the red flags start to pop up.
  • Rules
  • As it comes with creating a game, you must lay down the ground rules in such a clear-cut manner that everyone understands them. Otherwise, the game becomes in danger of derailing. So, it's better to have co-GMs assigned just in case you aren't around to make sure that the game moves according to the rules set by you. And the rules themselves shouldn't be too restrictive. Unlike an RP, a forum game should never restrict the users imagination. For example, in the Versus Game, there is only one simple rule: Post a question, the next user answers and posts another question. It's a good example of a Forum Game in which the rule to play the game is kept simple. Therefore, it's easier to follow.
  • Moderation
  • In a place as dynamic as the Forum Games, it's the job of the game creator to keep the players in check. If necessary, you can assign users as co-GMs who will police the game and keep the players in line. Remember that the Report Button is your friend. If a user breaks the forum rules and practices flaming other users or derailing the thread too such an extent that it become intolerable, then the use of the Button is very much allowed. Or alternatively, you can contact a moderator who in turn, will deal with the user accordingly. But it doesn't mean that the GM has to be strict. It's a game after all, and so it is advised that you enforce the rules only when things get really out of hand. The best way to keep the thread in line is to have cooperation between the players and the GM.
  • Commitment
  • When you make a game, do not abandon it. It's not a recommended course of action. I mean really, a game can only go on for so long without its creator to back it up! Actively contribute to it and monitor it. You can try your luck by making another game thread or two, but if you already have a successful game thread going on, then why gamble with another right? Be active in that one and people will come to participate.

Guide for participants.

That is, of course, you the reader and the player. The one who'll post in these threads and hopefully continue posting in them for a happy long time. Your list of guidelines is occupied with all but two little details, which I'd rather you paid attention to, as they'll protect you from the prospect of getting banned.

• Confusion
  • In the off-chance, two threads appear with seemingly the same function, it's best to bookmark the thread you're participating in so that's it's easier for you to return to it.
  • Derailing
  • Derailing in the simplest terms, is to drift away from the subject at hand. It's a practice which is generally frowned upon in new threads because of course, it's best to stay within limits and thus, you are advised to not take part in such a practise. Older threads, however, are allowed to drift away from topic... so long as the GM is also doing it. Consent to cause havoc makes it legal.
  • Copy/Pasting
  • Funny as it is, copy pasting large amount of text from another source which is not yours, does not make it your material. Like say, copying lyrics of a song. I'm just saying, the Forum Games are meant to serve as an outlet to random bursts of imagination. That's rather downplayed if the only thing actually posted are copy/pasted texts. Rather stock and boring. Be creative!

Notice for the Trinity: participants, lurkers and creators.:

Click it. >:D

This guide is subject to change. If you have any questions regarding this guide, kindly comment or PM yours truly!
Hope this guide helps you in your journey of exploring and participating in the much more vibrant side of the Escapist.
Cheers
- mParadox

mParadox:
Derailing: Derailing ,in the simplest terms, is to drift away from the subject at hand. It's a practice which is generally frowned upon and thus, you are advised to not take part in such a practise.

Punishment for this must be described. I can personally say that whenever I've derailed a thread, pain followed in every situation. If you value your Forum life, don't derail!

OT: Great guide but now you've made me wonder what I can write up for a certain badge to help the community.

Nice one para.
We do break most of these rules in the ban game, mostly the derail rule.

PixelKing:
Nice one para.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

These guidelines are to be adhered to the letter of the law. To the letter!

*Giant wink*

PixelKing:
Nice one para.

SHhhhHhh! Keep it on the down-low! >.>

Yeah I know. =p Oh the irony.

Oh wow. Cool beans, Para. I had no idea you put this up. It's about time someone put up something about forum gaming as opposed to just RP-ing.
*Hugs Para*

HEY! Errors to fix!

mParadox:

What is a forum game? And what is this?:
In a nutshell, a forum game is a thread in which anyone is allowed to participate. It has one basic objective which everyone has to fulfil[1]. It's fun and one of the best ways to get to know people.

And this is a guide for all new comers[2] and veterans. Basic knowledge everyone should have before creating or participating in a game.

Guide for game creators.

Game creator(GC)[3], game master(GM) or simply original poster(OP). I'll go with game master for sake of understanding.

• Verification
  • The most important part: First[4] do a search before creating a forum game. It doesn't take long and it helps in keeping the place clean. Before creating a game thread, be sure to check that the pervious version(if any) is still not active. Sometimes this job becomes harder 'cause most threads tend to 'sink' after a set time period. Having two avatar versus threads makes the place clutter up. Especially[5] here since people happen to participate in both. Confusion may arise as to which game were you participating in case you forgot the name.
  • Originality
  • Rules
  • As it comes with creating a game, you must lay down the ground rules in such a clear-cut manner that everyone understands them. Otherwise, the game becomes in danger of derailing. So, it's better to have co-GMs assigned just in case you aren't around to make sure that the game moves according to the rules set by you. And the rules ,themselves,[6] shouldn't be too restrictive. Unlike a RP[7], a forum game should never restrict the users imagination...
  • Moderation
  • In a place as dynamic as the Forum Games & RP, it's the job of the game creator to keep the players in check. If necessary, you can assign users as co-GMs who will police the game and keep the players in line. Remember that the Report Button is your friend. If a user breaks the forum rules and practices flaming other users or derailing the thread too such an extent that it become intolerable, then the use of the Button is very much allowed. Or ,[8]alternatively, you can contact a moderator who ,[9]in turn, will deal with the user accordingly. But it doesn't mean that the GM has to be strict. It's a game after all, and so it is advised to enforce the rules only when things go really out of hand.[10] The best way to keep the thread in line is to have co-operation[11] between the players and the GM.
  • Commitment
  • When you make a game, do not abandon it. Actively contribute to it and monitor it. You can try your luck by making another game thread or two, but if you already have a successful game thread going on, then why bother right? Be active in that one and people will come to participate.

Guide for participants.

• Derailing
  • Derailing ,[12]in the simplest terms, is to drift away from the subject at hand. It's a practice which is generally frowned upon and thus, you are advised to not take part in such a practise[13].
  • Language

You knew I would pick apart your grammar, right? :3

[1] Incorrect spelling. Fulfil should be fulfill.
[2] "Newcomers" is one word.
[3] Parentheses need spaces too! For example: "Game creator (GC), game master (GM), or simply original poster (OP)". Apply throughout.
[4] No capitalization required.
[5] No need for separate sentences here. A comma would be fine.
[6] Neither of these commas are necessary.
[7] RP is an acronym here. Generally, in the case of acronyms, one would use the article associated with the pronunciation of the letter, not what the letter stands for. This is in the case of calling it an "RP" as opposed to a "role-play"
[8] Move this comma back one.
[9] This one too.
[10] Odd sentence, overall. Perhaps more like "...and so it is advised that you enforce the rules only when things get really out of hand."
[11] Hyphen is unnecessary.
[12] You know what I'm going to say about this comma...
[13] Being from America, I would generally pick out this spelling. But chances are that you learned British English, so I'll let this one slide

Eumersian:
Oh wow. Cool beans, Para. I had no idea you put this up. It's about time someone put up something about forum gaming as opposed to just RP-ing.
*Hugs Para*

I know. ^^ *hugs*

Eumersian:

I did. >.> I'll get right on that. ^^

Whow, this is literally well organized, simple to follow up and shall certainly help me if I ever feel the need to make a Thread based off Gaming of any sort. Thanks for all the advise and tips on running on right, now I know I can make them successful ^_^

(Because literally, some Game Threads i've made were utter failures with no one interested to try them out. I'm much better at RP Thread managing thanks to the members who RP in them!)

mParadox:

Eumersian:
*Hugs Para*

I know. ^^ *hugs*

Eumersian:

I did. >.> I'll get right on that. ^^

i like Para Gliding

yeh but Awesome those Rules will work out really well

now i just to check my Dating Avatars thread scuse me

Damn I thought this thread was about 'RPs.'

I'll be leaving now >.> Good post though!

Caramel Frappe:
Whow, this is literally well organized, simple to follow up and shall certainly help me if I ever feel the need to make a Thread based off Gaming of any sort. Thanks for all the advise and tips on running on right, now I know I can make them successful ^_^

(Because literally, some Game Threads i've made were utter failures with no one interested to try them out. I'm much better at RP Thread managing thanks to the members who RP in them!)

Thank you and thank you. Yeah I know. So many game threads were failures 'cause the ideas were tragically unoriginal. =\

Trezu:
i like Para Gliding

yeh but Awesome those Rules will work out really well

now i just to check my Dating Avatars thread scuse me

I see what you did there. -.O Hope the rules prove to be helpful. And I wish you success on the Date Game. It's pretty good. :3 And thankfully original. At least for now.

Nouw:
Damn I thought this thread was about 'RPs.'

I'll be leaving now >.> Good post though!

<.< Thanks! ^-^

mParadox:

PixelKing:
Nice one para.

SHhhhHhh! Keep it on the down-low! >.>

Yeah I know. =p Oh the irony.

Yeah we have gotten used to it by now. I think the ban game is the one exception to this rule. Lawl.

So oranges are cool.

OT: So much wisdom in that head of yours!

pyramid head grape:
So oranges are cool.

OT: So much wisdom in that head of yours!

You and your spammin'....

OT: This is a really good post/guide. Now on to finish my own...

The ban game... the good old days. ;-;

Half a year later, I find myself reading it again with new eyes. I still like it :)

pyramid head grape:
The ban game... the good old days. ;-;

What happened to it?

Nouw:
What happened to it?

Disappeared. Poof. You can't even find it via the Search Function! O.O

Wait, there are rules you have to follow in this forum? I didn't sign up for this!

mParadox:

• Derailing
  • Derailing in the simplest terms, is to drift away from the subject at hand. It's a practice which is generally frowned upon in new threads because of course, it's best to stay within limits and thus, you are advised to not take part in such a practise. Older threads, however, are allowed to drift away from topic... so long as the GM is also doing it. Consent to cause havoc makes it legal.

How come I find it funny to read that when written by you..? Hmm... Might it be... Yes, that is most certainly why. Oh, the memories... <3

Anyhow, I should add something that isn't, well, derailing-y. Hmm...

Nicely done! ;)

a ban game? how intreaging!

If only Para followed his own rules...

Forum games needs more people, why do people shy away from this corner now :(

Place used to be flooded...

I blame the schools

I blame the sites hamsters.

cexdonnr:
    We do break most of these rules in the ban game

Well I just noticed this was a Spam Bot O___O

Kaleion:

cexdonnr:

Good catch! Thanks O:

sky14kemea:

Kaleion:

cexdonnr:

Good catch! Thanks O:

I hope the spambots don't get the memo that Forum Games is the place where they can disguise themselves more effectively.

My holier than thou mock guide had a spambot?

OH THANK THE HEAVENS FOR THIS REWARD.

Seriously, spam bots are neat when you get the really good ones. >.>

mParadox:
    My holier than thou mock guide had a spambot?

OH THANK THE HEAVENS FOR THIS REWARD.

Seriously, spam bots are neat when you get the really good ones. >.>

Well this one managed to avoid getting caught for like a month, I'd say it was a good one.

Kaleion:
    Well this one managed to avoid getting caught for like a month, I'd say it was a good one.

Its comment was so... typical Escapist style.

OH GOD THEY ARE LEARNING. D':

mParadox:

Kaleion:

Its comment was so... typical Escapist style.

OH GOD THEY ARE LEARNING. D':

Para, we must be vigilant. o.o

Redlin5:
    Para, we must be vigilant. o.o

I'll get the beating sticks.

You get the Vault Bunker ready. o-o

We'll beat 'em good. By the time we're done, they'll be red and raw. And it'll hurt something fierce.

@_________________________________________________@

So far the perimeter is secure. No bots are lurking.... yet...

*keeps patrolling*

Guide = Rules = guidelines

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
    With Facebook:Login With Facebook
    or
    Username:  
    Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
    Register With Facebook
    Register With Facebook