Blank Check Fans Want Griffin Newman Cast as the Fantastic Four’s HERBIE

The Marvel Cinematic Universe recently found its Fantastic Four in Pedro Pascal, Joseph Quinn, Vanessa Kirby, and Ebon Moss-Bachrach. But, when it comes to the unannounced role of the Fantastic Four’s robotic companion H.E.R.B.I.E., the internet’s provided its own nominees, with Blank Check’s Griffin Newman emerging as a front runner.

Recommended Videos

Fans of the movie podcast Blank Check with Griffin and David are far from the only ones advocating for the actor and comedian to land Fantastic Four’s coveted robotic role, as Newman himself has been gunning for H.E.R.B.I.E. for several years now. Newman’s resume is certainly stacked with superhero pedigree, from voicing the Mad Hatter in Max’s Harley Quinn to his role in the live-action series The Tick. Newman’s recent voice acting work includes Scott Pilgrim Takes Off and Netflix’s Masters of the Universe reboot, where he voices Orko.

Though the above roles make a solid case to pitch Newman as H.E.R.B.I.E., a prop appearing in the first promotional photo for Fantastic Four has armed fans of the comedian’s entire filmography with the perfect gif to further demonstrate their case. Where some naively saw H.E.R.B.I.E. helpfully handing Moss-Bachrach’s The Thing a mug of coffee, those who remembered Newman’s role in sports drama Draft Day saw an opportunity. Though the Draft Day scene in which Newman’s character drops an entire tray of coffee did not make the film’s final cut, it lives on in fans’ memories and has subsequently made a perfect tool in their H.E.R.B.I.E. pitches. One fan even recreated the gif, sticking H.E.R.B.I.E.’s head atop Newman’s.

Amid his own advocacy for the role, Griffin has shared fans’ social media pleas to cast him as the Fantastic Four’s H.E.R.B.I.E. A handful of fans have started utilizing #Griff4HERBIE on X, but the actor’s name’s been promoted in the comment section of pretty much any social media post asking fans who they think should step into the MCU role. Of course, Newman’s not the only nominee on fans’ minds, with Jack Quaid, Bill Hader, John Mulaney, and H.E.R.B.I.E’s original voice actor Frank Welker all thrown out as fan cast contenders.

From several members of Doctor Who’s cast having been childhood fans of the franchise to the McElroy’s self-fulfilling podcast The McElroy Brothers Will Be In Trolls 2, there’s been a precedent for performers to manifest roles. The jury’s still out on whether Newman and fans of Blank Check will see their dreams come true in Fantastic Four, as the role of H.E.R.B.I.E. currently remains under wraps.    

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Doctor Who: Why Did Christopher Eccleston Leave the Show?
Christopher Eccleston as the Ninth Doctor in key art for Doctor Who Series 1
Read Article Deadpool & Wolverine: What Does LFG Mean?
A close-up of Wolverine's claws in Deadpool & Wolverine
Read Article When Does X-Men ’97 Episode 8 Come Out?
Morph, Jean Grey, Jubilee, Cyclops, Rogue, Gambit, Beast, Wolverine, Storm, and Bishop in X-Men '97
Related Content
Read Article Doctor Who: Why Did Christopher Eccleston Leave the Show?
Christopher Eccleston as the Ninth Doctor in key art for Doctor Who Series 1
Read Article Deadpool & Wolverine: What Does LFG Mean?
A close-up of Wolverine's claws in Deadpool & Wolverine
Read Article When Does X-Men ’97 Episode 8 Come Out?
Morph, Jean Grey, Jubilee, Cyclops, Rogue, Gambit, Beast, Wolverine, Storm, and Bishop in X-Men '97
Author
Tara McCauley
Nerd at large, Tara McCauley's happiest playing or writing about tabletop role playing games. Tara joined The Escapist in October 2023 as a freelance contributor. She covers such TV shows as Fargo and games/fandoms like Dungeons & Dragons. In addition to The Escapist, Tara has gushed about her favorite pop culture topics at CBR, MXDWN, and Monstrous Femme. When she's not writing or rolling dice, Tara can be found catching up on her favorite sitcoms, curled up with a horror comic, or waxing poetic about the WNBA.