The poster for Shazam 2. This image is part of an article about how James Gunn didn't understand Shazam 2's post-credits scene.

James Gunn Didn’t Understand Shazam 2’s Post-Credits Scene, Either

The DC Extended Universe has had its fair share of strange scenes, but this one may take the cake. James Gunn didn’t understand Shazam 2‘s post-credits scene, either.

Recommended Videos

For the select few who saw Shazam! Fury of the Gods, you’ll remember that it concluded with John Economos (Steve Agee) and Emilia Harcourt (Jennifer Holland) showing up and recruiting the titular hero for the JSA, aka the Justice Society of America.

Of course, the team played a role in Black Adam, facing off against Dwayne Johnson’s Teth-Adam before helping him defeat Sabbac. Harcourt appeared in that movie as well, but her recruiting for a team she wasn’t a part of came out of left field, and James Gunn, who cast Holland and Agee in Peacemaker, was as confused as anyone.

Related: DC’s James Gunn Hates Meaningless Superhero Film Cameos

“It wasn’t my call and I didn’t write it,” James Gunn wrote on Threads while discussing Fury of the Gods‘ post-credits scene. “Although it came out when I had just started at DC, its inclusion far predates me as (as does Harcourt as the warden of an underwater prison!), and, although I thought it was fun, I have no idea why those characters would be recruiting for the JS.”

This sort of disconnect is nothing new for the DCEU, as the plans for the franchise seemed to flip on a dime. Gunn hopes to remedy that with his upcoming reboot, which will start with Superman: Legacy in 2025. However, Holland and Agee don’t have anything to worry about, as Peacemaker will remain part of the franchise despite Gunn and Co. taking things in a new direction.

If you’re interested in more content related to the DC Universe, here’s why Charlie Hunnam turned down the chance to be DC’s Green Arrow years ago.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes’ Game-Breaking Recruitment Bug to Be Fixed in Upcoming Patch
Read Article Pokemon GO’s Wiglett Debut During Rediscover Kanto Event Excites & Confuses Fans
Photo of a beach scene with the Pokemon Wiglett popping out of the sand, with several question marks nearby
Read Article PSA: Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes Has a Game-Breaking Recruitment Bug
Screenshot of Lam in Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes.
Related Content
Read Article Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes’ Game-Breaking Recruitment Bug to Be Fixed in Upcoming Patch
Read Article Pokemon GO’s Wiglett Debut During Rediscover Kanto Event Excites & Confuses Fans
Photo of a beach scene with the Pokemon Wiglett popping out of the sand, with several question marks nearby
Read Article PSA: Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes Has a Game-Breaking Recruitment Bug
Screenshot of Lam in Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes.
Author
Jackson Hayes
Jackson Hayes is an Associate Editor at The Escapist. Starting his writing career in 2017, he quickly rose the ranks and became an editor. He's spent the last six years working at outlets such as CBR, Heroic Hollywood and Full Circle Cinema, where he's covered various sports games, Call of Duty, the MCU, and other major properties. You can follow him on Twitter @jacksonhayes67