Mother 2 anniversary graphic.

EarthBound Is Promising Plans for Mother 2’s 30th Anniversary

EarthBound, aka Mother 2, is a magical RPG. This year marks the 30th anniversary of EarthBound. As such, there are official plans underway to celebrate this milestone.

Recommended Videos

This news comes directly from the official Mother account via My Nintendo News. You can check it out below via X:

Via translation, the post reads, “Happy New Year! The year 2024 marks the 30th anniversary of the release of ‘MOTHER 2.’ We are preparing various plans for the year ahead, let’s enjoy this year together. We look forward to your continued support!”

Related: Is There Any Post-Game Content In Super Mario RPG?

Some very vague details, to be sure, but an exciting prospect, nonetheless! But what could it mean? Mother and Mother 2, known in the U.S. as EarthBound Beginnings and EarthBound, respectively, are already available on Switch through its online service. Mother 3 has never been localized, so perhaps that is a possibility, though it is wishful thinking at this point.

Regardless, people appear excited about the announcement. “My favorite game of all time,” said X user biiizzz_. And they weren’t the only one to share this sentiment. “Same. Will always be my favorite game until the end of time,” TheDavidLol added. It appears that no matter how many years pass, gamers will continue to have a special place in their heart for EarthBound.

We will find out more information about the EarthBound anniversary celebration throughout the year on the official Mother 2 website. For me, I would love nothing more than the entire Mother trilogy on a physical cartridge to play on my Switch. Maybe throw in a fancy Collector’s Edition with some smelly trading cards, mini figurines of the main characters, and a Mr. Saturn plushie, as well.

If you’re interested in more RPG content, here’s a guide on how to get to the secret boss in Super Mario RPG.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Pokemon Sleep Confirms Entei as Next Legendary Pokemon Players Can Catch
Image of Entei in front of a fiery background, with the Pokemon Sleep logo in the corner
Read Article Critical Role Announces Candela Obscura Live Show & When Tickets Go on Sale
Read Article All Patch Notes for Dragon’s Dogma 2 April 25 Patch
Dragons Dogma 2 Arisen
Related Content
Read Article Pokemon Sleep Confirms Entei as Next Legendary Pokemon Players Can Catch
Image of Entei in front of a fiery background, with the Pokemon Sleep logo in the corner
Read Article Critical Role Announces Candela Obscura Live Show & When Tickets Go on Sale
Read Article All Patch Notes for Dragon’s Dogma 2 April 25 Patch
Dragons Dogma 2 Arisen
Author
Arthur Damian
Arthur Damian has been covering the video game industry for over ten years, and joined The Escapist in 2022. He is a huge fan of platformers, indies, and fighting games, and strives to cover them for The Escapist every chance he gets. Arthur received his Bachelor’s Degree in English from Brooklyn College in 2009. He is also the Editor-in-Chief over at That VideoGame Blog. When he isn’t writing, Arthur enjoys playing games on his Switch and PlayStation 5, and sings the praises of the greatest video game ever, Chrono Trigger, to anyone who will listen.