______ was perfect until _______

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Fill in the blanks, where the first is a game and the second is a moment in the game that made it suck ass, at least temporarily.

For example: GTA San Andreas was perfect until I played the FUCKING ZERO MISSIONS.

Oh, I want to go first!

Mass Effect 3 was perfect until the last five--(SMACK!) NO!

Hm, without going for the obvious, I'm going to say Gears of War 3 was perfect until you met Adam Fenix. Things just quickly fell apart after that. More questions were still being raised by actual characters in the game as the ending played out. That's not a good time to start raising more questions. Throw in the fact that there were so many things left unexplained from the books, and yeah...Gears did Mass Effect 3's ending first, it just didn't get as much rage because "who plays Gears of War for the story?".

Skyrim was great until I realized that Bethesda once again didn't put in the REAL LORE and instead filled the game with only vague hints that 99% of people wont get.

I mean seriously Bethesda you already confirmed Sithis, Lorkhan, Talos, and Akatosh ARE THE SAME PERSON in interviews just tell people in-game already.

That
-Talos killing the snake with a sword on his statue and Akatosh's statue looking like a snake eating a sword
-The whole giving Akatosh 2 heads in Oblivion
-Giving Sithis's statue a missing heart
things were cool but most people wont get it.

Inb4 MGS2 was perfect until Raiden showed up...

OT: I'm going to say Final Fantasy Tactics was perfect up until the beginning of Chapter 4, where you had to fight a bunch of Dragoons in a church basement. Huge difficulty spike there unless you were lucky enough to have built your party in a way that worked in that fight; it needed a very different build than what I had had up to that point. I still haven't gone past that point, and I've had the game since 2006 or 2007.

SajuukKhar:
Skyrim was great until I realized that Bethesda once again didn't put in the REAL LORE and instead filled the game with only vague hints that 99% of people wont get.

I mean seriously Bethesda you already confirmed Sithis, Lorkhan, Talos, and Akatosh ARE THE SAME PERSON in interviews just tell people in-game already.

That
-Talos killing the snake with a sword on his statue and Akatosh's statue looking like a snake eating a sword

Isn't that the point of the in game books in that series? They're all true, but none of them have the whole truth.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Isn't that the point of the in game books in that series? They're all true, but none of them have the whole truth.

Actually there are no books in the game that tell you that Talos is Lorkhan, only super vague hints, and there is like one that hints that sithis is Lorkhan.

Also there still TONS of stuff including
-Pelenial whitestrek, the divine crusader from Knights of the nine, being a time traveler
-Emperor Reman I making a spaceship to try to colonize the moon
-KINMUNE, the robot from the 9th era sent back in time because of the wars between The Hist and the Jills and sealed in the dwemer ruins beneath the falmer ruins, below Sarthal
-How Dagon was originally the Leaper Demon cursed by Alduin to find the pices of the world he and Lorkhan hid from Alduin in past unvierses

and so much other stuff not mentioned once in any of the games.

I get tired of hearing how the Elder scrolls series has poor writing when, in fact, it has GREAT writing that the devs never put into the game because it's confusing.

I will now use this opportunity to indulge one of my pet hates:

The Witcher 2 was damn near perfect until about half way through the second act.

Then the story went to hell, the gameplay became unbalanced and a severely concussed goat was put in charge of the checkpoint placement.

SajuukKhar:

Owyn_Merrilin:

Actually there are no books in the game that tell you that Talos is Lorkhan, only super vague hints, and there is like one that hints that sithis is Lorkhan.

Also there still TONS of stuff including
-Pelenial whitestrek, the divine crusader from Knights of the nine, being a time traveler
-KINMUNE, the robot from the 9th era sent back in time because of the wars between The Hist and the Jills and sealed in the dwemer ruins beneath the falmer ruins, below Sarthal
-How Dagon was originally the Leaper Demon cursed by Alduin to find the pices of the world he and Lorkhan hid from Alduin in past unvierses

and so much other stuff not mentioned once in any of the games.

I get tired of hearing how the Elder scrolls series has poor writing when, in fact, it has GREAT writing that the devs never put into the game because it's confusing.

That's what I'm talking about, though; it's all supposed to be legends. There's a grain of truth (sometimes even a mountain of truth) but it's buried under a lot of distortion. Some of it may also be stuff that isn't necessarily canon to the series; the whole thing grew out of the original dev team's D&D campaign. Some of that stuff you mentioned may be from that more than the games.

MGS4 was perfect until Act 2, then it turned to shite.

Owyn_Merrilin:

That's what I'm talking about, though; it's all supposed to be legends. There's a grain of truth (sometimes even a mountain of truth) but it's buried under a lot of distortion. Some of it may also be stuff that isn't necessarily canon to the series; the whole thing grew out of the original dev team's D&D campaign. Some of that stuff you mentioned may be from that more than the games.

Actually it isnt all legends, all contradictory version of the gods and events happened.

Triminac ripping out Lorkhans heart? happened
Lorkhan ripping out his own heart? happened
Auri-El fighting Talos? happening
Akatosh the human name for Arui-El DEFENDING Talos against Auri-el? happening

Saying it is all legends is missing the point, all of it is FACT no matter how contradictory it might be.

In the Es universe all myth = reality.

There is a point when Shor, the nodric version of Lorkhan, goes to the underworld to talk to Lorkhan. He is talking to himself, another self manifest.

It is a universe designed to be impossible to exist even under its own rules.

Have to say that Pokemon was badass until all the doushbag nostalgia nerds came out of the woodwork to state thier dumbass opinion on every thread and youtube site. "I think Pokemon has gone down hill because there were three monsters from black and white that I didn't like." "Personally like gen 1 and 2 the best and I have never played anything past that so of course I know what I am talking about." "Pokemon are getting more and more dumb, even though the older games had several retarded looking Pokes." "Oh come on, Diamond and Pearl were the worst and I have no real evidence to back that statement up." "Why do they keep making new Pokemon, there is to many of them now." "Don't care that the games don't force me to catch them all, or variety is the spice of life, shut up." Oh you doushbag nerds and your complaining. Nothing will ever make you happy and the sooner you learn that, the more rage free you can be.

Diablo 2 was perfect until they added synergies , which completly killed all original combination of skills . Everyone had to choose one skill tree to specialize in , and most skills had a clear advantage over others , thus making a lot of skills useless .

This should be in the forum games section
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/index/362-Forum-Games

Black Sabbath was perfect until Technical Ecstasy. They have just never been the same since. :(

Also, Iron Maiden was perfect until No Time for the Dying. Luckily, they seem to have recovered since then, and are right back on track to being awesome.

EDIT: Also, going for the obvious one, Metallica was perfect until Load. /ninja

Ladies and gentlemen! May I direct your attention to: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyChangedItNowItSucks

Afterlife was perfect until Steve Jobs

The first four Pokemon Gens [were] perfect until the fifth Pokemon Gen rolled into town.

The Earth was perfect until we came along.

Kidding. I'd probably say Silent Hill. Homecoming wasn't exactly bad, and Downpour probably won't be either once I actually get it, but the series is no where near as good as the classics were and I'm still surprised that no one has managed to figure out how to fix it yet. Downpour's rule of no content from previous games is a great start, but they need to spend less time coming up with arbitrary changes to the gameplay we don't really need and more time working on the story, since that's what we're here for anyways.

Also, LA Noire was great until about the end of the first case, when you realize that the interrogations pretty much break down to standard adventure game logic with a fresh coat of paint. It's still a great game, especially if you don't mind using guides a lot like me, but it could have been much more.

SajuukKhar:

That

Uhm, source? Those 4 are not even remotely close to being the same person. The closest relationship there is Akatosh and Talos as a Dragonborn, but that doesn't make them the same.

Video games were perfect until online connectivity allowed multiplayer, digital distribution, Hyper aggressive DRM, digital bootlegging, and gave media corporations the concept that they could use the government to allow them to bypass the laws

Seriously, video games have REALLY went downhill since the popularization of online gaming over the last decade or so and most of these problems all go back to online connectivity in some way shape or form. Not saying it hasnt gave us good things. Just the bad things are still massively outweighing the good.

Captcha: Pull the plug.... oh wait im a pub club member, someone might call me on that ;D Cant blame a guy for wanting to get in on the fabricating fun!

BreakfastMan:

EDIT: Also, going for the obvious one, Metallica was perfect until Load. /ninja

Gotta disagree with that because it is 1 album too late. The black album is where the suck began. But either is really just a matter of opinion.

Wait...

SajuukKhar:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Special:Search?search=Pelenial+Whitestrek&go=Go&nsnum=0&redirs=1&searchtitles=1

SajuukKhar:

Which moon?

SajuukKhar:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Special:Search?search=kinmune&go=Go&nsnum=0&redirs=1&searchtitles=1
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Special:Search?search=Jills&go=Go&nsnum=0&redirs=1&searchtitles=1

Seriously, where are you getting this? Fanfiction?

Vrach:

Uhm, source? Those 4 are not even remotely close to being the same person. The closest relationship there is Akatosh and Talos as a Dragonborn, but that doesn't make them the same.

From a quote in the archives of The Imperil library, written by seris lore writer Michael Kirkbirde

http://www.imperial-library.info/ForumArchives/AmuletAmulet.html

finnugold:
Wait...

SajuukKhar:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Special:Search?search=Pelenial+Whitestrek&go=Go&nsnum=0&redirs=1&searchtitles=1

SajuukKhar:

Which moon?

SajuukKhar:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Special:Search?search=kinmune&go=Go&nsnum=0&redirs=1&searchtitles=1
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Special:Search?search=Jills&go=Go&nsnum=0&redirs=1&searchtitles=1

Seriously, where are you getting this? Fanfiction?

nope all from series lore writer Michael Kirkbride

KINMUNE
http://www.imperial-library.info/content/kinmune

Pelinal Whitestrake
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Pelinal_Whitestrake
http://www.imperial-library.info/content/forum-archives-michael-kirkbride

On the nature of Pelinal (09/23/07):

Re: Pelinal, his closest mythical model would be Gilgamesh, with a dash of a T-800 thrown in, and a full-serving of brain-fracture slaughterhouse antinomial (Kill)3 functions stuck in his hand or head. We tend to forgive those heroes.

And thousands of years of Good Coming From Bad, and/or whitewash, ignorance, shame, his Song being read by the Knights merely as fancy rather than right record, etc, might explain the Order's reluctance to villify or apologize for him. Plus, no one wants to gets smothered in their sleep by moths.

That said, I sure would like to read the story of Alkosh whooping Pelinal's ass back to Cyrod when the Whitestrake's pogroms strayed too far into the Dragon-Cat's land.

On Pelinal, again (04/01/08):

Pelinal was and is an insane collective swarmfoam war-fractal from the future, you betcha.

Also as I recall it wasnt stated which moon, just that he planned to do it to one of them.

Bleach was great until after the soul society arc

viranimus:

Gotta disagree with that because it is 1 album too late. The black album is where the suck began. But either is really just a matter of opinion.

Well, if I am being completely honest, they were perfect until Burton's death. They were just okay after that, and while the black album was much more mainstream than their previous stuff, it still had some good stuff. Things didn't get real bad till Load. :P

not what i wanted

Vampires were Good until Anne Rice. I know that most of oyu would say Twilight, but that's not really the case. The downward trend started with Louis de Pointe du Lac started to bemoan his existence. At least Lestat is not as emo about his immortal life.

SajuukKhar:

Lolwut? I dont know anything about Elder Scrolls lore but thats just mental. What kind of writer thinks of that shit.

OT: Mass Effect 3 was perfect until the last 5 minutes

District 9 was perfect until they didnt release a sequel (still waiting for it)

Red Dead Redemption was perfect until someone ruined the ending for me

GethBall:

Lolwut? I dont know anything about Elder Scrolls lore but thats just mental. What kind of writer thinks of that shit.

The same guy who wrote the 36 lessons of vivec where vivec mates with a daedric lord, has kids with him, turns his lower appendage, i think you know what I mean, into a spear that he names milk taker and then uses to kil all his kids.

The same guy who basically wrote Morrowind, Mankar camreon's Speech in Oblivion, the knights of the nine DLC, and countless other things.

The same guy who wrote a story about a princess going to Valenwood only to have the monkey people throw shit on her.

the same guy who wrote that the entire ES universe is just the dream of a dreaming schizophrenic god-head and that the only way to achieve god-hood is to realize and fully accept that you don't exist while still having the audacity to say you do.

Michael Kirkbride, the most insane video game writer ever.

Kingdom Hearts: Re: Chain of Memories was perfect until I witnessed the combat system. Worst idea yet, KH developers.

Assassin's Creed 2 blah blah until the final boss.

That stuff about the Elder Scrolls lore is insane! I never even had a hint that anything like that existed in any form. Mindfuck.

OT: Death Note was perfect until half way through when...

It was still good after that but it just wasn't the same.

Scrustle:
That stuff about the Elder Scrolls lore is insane! I never even had a hint that anything like that existed in any form. Mindfuck.

The absurdity of the ES lore is why it is only hinted at in the games.

If they were to come out and tell you Akatosh is Lorkhan, all the different versions each race has of the gods exist fight each-other and yet are the same individual, that opening up the inventory thus pausing time is canon etc. etc.

Do you know how many people could wrap their heads around it all? few IMO.

I do like that they leave breadcrumbs, symbols in statues, one off lines of dialog that appear meaningless, etc. etc. its like there's another world below the world we play.

SajuukKhar:
...that opening up the inventory thus pausing time is canon...

lolwut... How does that work?

Where exactly in the games do all these hints come up? Are they all hidden in earlier games or something? I'm not that versed with those ones.

Better do something to keep this on topic too...

The FlatOut series was perfect until they changed the developer.

Scrustle:

SajuukKhar:
...that opening up the inventory thus pausing time is canon...

lolwut... How does that work?

Where exactly in the games do all these hints come up? Are they all hidden in earlier games or something? I'm not that versed with those ones.

Better do something to keep this on topic too...

The FlatOut series was perfect until they changed the developer.

It is called CHIM, it is a state of being above all the gods, Talos and Viec have achieved it and the heroes of the games are linked to it, it is the in-game lore reason for the construction kit/the inventory/ and loading save games when you die.

http://uesp.net/wiki/Lore:36_Lessons_of_Vivec,_Sermon_23

"Fourth:

'The immobile warrior is never fatigued. He cuts sleep holes in the middle of a battle to regain his strength.' "

Also most of this is in the newer games.

The first two ES games were terribly generic standard fare.

My life was perfect until I was born.

The storyline in Deus Ex was perfect until the previous two sequel/prequel games were shoved on the market.
/cry

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or