The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow (Murder Mystery game)

Time of when this should start to be confirmed. If it takes less time than expected then we may be able to get more than 1 game in if interested. If it takes longer than anticipated, then I may need to reorganise it to a later date. Sign up here if you're interested. It will be a first come first serve basis. Maximum is 20 players. If you're not in the first game, but wish to take part, please write your name down anyway, incase someone has to pull out. If you sign up and then have to pull out, PM me so I can remove you from the list.

People tempting their fate in Miller's Hollow:
Terratina
Xmbts
Kaleion
DarkRawen
MortifiedPenguin
Sir Broccoli
Mortai Gravesend

The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow

The name of this thread may sound familiar to a few of you. The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow is a murder mystery board game. I believe it was adapted from a game called Mafia. Very similar to each other but I haven't seen or played Mafia so I can't say for certain. Either way, I was hoping to try and get a forum version of this game going. If I get enough interest from people then I'll hope to play a game with fellow escapists using PM's, forums posts. If I don't get enough people then I'll just go have a sad.

The story of the game goes something like this: Somewhere there's a village called Miller's Hollow. Inside it is peaceful. Everyone goes about there every day life without a care in the world. However one day, an anchient evil invades Miller's Hollow. Soon, people start dying. The bodies of the deseased covered with claw and bite marks. The marks of the Werewolf. The villagers must band together to route out the source of evil, before the entire village is doomed.

Rules:

The game has two phases, a day and a night phase. Depending on what cards you have will depend on what you can do at each phase. During the night phase, werewolves and other speciality cards will be contacted by me by PM, so as to hide their identity. I will post on the thread when they have completed their actions. At the start of the day phase I will reveal their actions. (Please note, I will not say names, but refer to players as their roles, eg: the werewolves). During the day phase, everyone is allowed to discuss openly on the thread who they believe should be lynched/why they shouldn't be lynched etc. The werewolves and speciality cards act like normal villages and have a say in who shall be lynched. The werewolves need to be deceptive so as to not be lynched, while trying to get other non-werewolf players lynched at the same time.

Lynching happens during the day phase. All players take part in it unless told not too. Each player has 1 vote. They vote on a player to be lynched. A player can refuse to vote at all. If the vote ends in a tie, then no one will die (except for the scape goat if he's in play). If a player has the Sheriff status, their vote counts as 2 votes. Anyone can be sheriff, except for village idiot if he's revealed himself.

Other rules to note, a player will only show their identity when they die. A player can't show what their true identity is during the game. A player can however state what their identity is.

A dead player has no say in the game. They must not sway other player choices, or have any say in the lynching votes. This is highly dependent on you, as you can easily PM other players. Please don't. Again, I'll have a sad

I want to keep game chat and normal chat separate. So if you wish to chat casually with another player on this thread, please spoiler it when the game starts.

Below are the specific card types and what they do.

Card Types:

The following cards have certain affects during the night phase

Werewolf

The Werewolves are active during the night and day phase. During the night, the werewolves must work together to kill the villagers. When there is more than 1 werewolf player, they will be told who else is a werewolf during the night phase. To kill someone, they must come to an agreement as to who they want to kill (even if the player they want to kill is a werewolf themself). During the day phase, they act like ordinary citizens, casting votes on the lynching.

The Thief

The Thief uses his ability once and only at the very start of the game. The thief has the ability to swap his identity (card) with 2 identities currently not in play. The Thief must take an identity, even if it's a werewolf.

Cupid

The cupid card is played at the very start of the game. The cupid selects 2 players (can include himself) to become lovers. The two lovers will be PM'd their identities. They can share the info of what card type they have with each other. If the two lovers are Villagers/speciality cards (which includes Cupid himself) then they win the game normally by destroying the Werewolves. If the two lovers are werewolves then they win the game normally as werewolves, by killing all the villagers. If the 2 lovers are a villager/Werewolf, they become a 3rd party and must try to win the game themselves. The Werewolf will still act with the werewolves as normal, but for them to win, they have to be the last 2 people standing at the end of the game. The lovers can't vote for each other to be lynched. If 1 lover dies, both die due to grief.

The Defender

The Defender has the ability to defend 1 person from the werewolves attack before they strike at the begging of the night phase. They can chose to defend them self. The Defender can't defend the same person twice in a row (also inducing them self). If the defender choses to defend a werewolf, they will die by the end of the night phase.

The Seer

The Seer has the ability to see the identity of another player before the Werewolves strike. They use this ability at the beginning of every night phase. NOTE: The Seer can't learn if a player is one of the lovers.

The Witch

The Witch becomes active after the werewolves have chosen their target. In her possession she has 1 Death and 1 life potion. She can chose to use the death potion on any one player in the game. She can also chose to use the life potion to bring 1 dead player back to life. Each potion can only be used once. The Witch can use the life potion on herself to nullify a werewolf attack.

The following cards have effects during the day phase

Villager

The Villager is a standard player. He/she is only able to act during the day phase, they have a vote in the lynching. They have no role during the night phase.

The Village Elder

The Village elder takes 2 werewolf attacks to kill instead of 1. He is killed instantly by other card effects, eg: Huntsman's shot, Witches Death Potion, Villager lynching.

The Village Idiot

The Village Idiot is immune to lynching. If voted to be lynched, the player must reveal they are the village idiot. The Villagers must then feel sorry for you and you are pardoned. You may not be voted to lynched again. However, as you are an idiot, you now have no vote in the lynching. If you are the sheriff, you are demoted and the title is passed onto someone else of your choosing. You may however have a say in the debates as to who you think should be lynched.

The Scapegoat

If the lynching vote is a tie, then the scape goat is killed. If killed by lynching, the scape goat can chose a player. That player is then not allowed to vote in the lynching the next turn.

The Hunger

The Hunter upon death can chose to take one final shot at any player. The player he chooses dies instantly.

The Sheriff

This card is not a unique card, but a status. Any player can become the sheriff (except for the village idiot if he's revealed himself). At the very start of the game, all players will be asked to cast a vote for someone to become sheriff. If the Sheriff is killed a new vote is held to decide the next sheriff.

Card not in use due to forum limitations:

The little girl

The little girl card was played during the night phase during the time the werewolves were active. In an IRL game, this player would be allowed to peek at what the werewolves are doing. However if she is caught peeking she gets devoured instantly instead of the intended target. Due to this being a forum this isn't possible, however if anyone can come up with a new role for the little girl card we can always put her back in.

The Piper

The Piper during the night phase, selects 2 players to charm. When the piper falls asleep, these players wake up and are notified as to who else is a charmed player. The piper wins when all players are charmed.
I'm just not sure if this card will work so for now I'm keeping it out of the game.

Gameplay

The game is split into two phases, and the players depending on their card types will have a select order in which they play. The order is this.

1: Vote for Sheriff
2: (Night phase) The thief selects his identity.
3: (Night phase) Cupid selects his lovers
4: (night phase) The Seer can learn the identity of 1 player.
5: (Night phase) The defender chooses who to defend from werewolves.
6: (Night phase) Werewolves select a target to strike
7: (Night phase) Witch is asked if she wants to use her life/death potions
8: Night phase ends, the actions of the night phase is revealed (people learn who dies/lives etc) and the day phase begins. If the Sheriff was killed, vote for a new sheriff here.
9: (Day Phase) Debates between all living players
10: (Day phase) A vote is cast for a lynching.
11: (Day Phase) The player with the most votes is lynched and killed.
12: (Day Phase) If the lynched player has any day effect cards, it's revealed here. If the Sheriff was lynched, vote for a new one here.
13: Night phase starts, repeat steps 4-12.

So is anyone interested playing?

If any of you are interested in playing, please say so on this thread. However, a few rules apply.

1: Play fairly and do not cheat. You cheat and I'll remove you from the game. It'll spoil the fun for other players and their hard work.

2: You'll have to promise to be able to sit through the game. I'm not sure how long these games will last on a forum. For all I know they may span days.

3: Role playing as you want. Make your character have a personality if you wish. Just remember not to give your identity away, and not to put too much thought into it as you could be killed straight away.

4: The minimum number of players we'll need is around 8-10. Ideally I'd like somewhere around 15-20. However time zones will play a big part the more people want to play.

And that's all folks. Sorry it was so long winded. If there's anything I've written that's confusing, please quote it and ask me. I'll try to give a clear answer. If you wish to join, just say. I'm still not sure if I'll be able to pull this game off but it's worth a try. The game itself should be a lot more clearer if I can get it started.

*reserved just in case*

Sounds like a pretty cool idea to run a game like this on the forums, though I don't think I can join in seeing as I'm on PST and have a few hours of obligations Saturday morning.

And yeah, it is adapted from Mafia.

Mortai Gravesend:
Sounds like a pretty cool idea to run a game like this on the forums, though I don't think I can join in seeing as I'm on PST and have a few hours of obligations Saturday morning.

Yeah, it's very long winded compared to most games on the forums which could literally be posting 1 word posts. This is an actual time investment type game.

It could probably be done if I had the interest / commitment but I probably won't find that on the forum games section. But seeing as it's a game this is where this thread needs to go. Catch 22. =/

Best of the 3:

Mortai Gravesend:

Yeah, it's very long winded compared to most games on the forums which could literally be posting 1 word posts. This is an actual time investment type game.

It could probably be done if I had the interest / commitment but I probably won't find that on the forum games section. But seeing as it's a game this is where this thread needs to go. Catch 22. =/

You could ask around in user groups or ask friends to ask around for you? I noticed this because you posted in the moderation group.

Mortai Gravesend:

Best of the 3:

Mortai Gravesend:

You could ask around in user groups or ask friends to ask around for you? I noticed this because you posted in the moderation group.

True. I was looking for appropriate user groups for this. The only ones I can think of are random chat groups. I wouldn't put this in RP as a player will literally be killed within 5 minutes of this game XD

Best of the 3:

Mortai Gravesend:

Best of the 3:

True. I was looking for appropriate user groups for this. The only ones I can think of are random chat groups. I wouldn't put this in RP as a player will literally be killed within 5 minutes of this game XD

Hey if you're up front about it...

Still a pretty fun game, me and my friends play a less elaborate version on New Year's.

Reserve me, just in case this goes ahead.

Sounds convoluted like hell though.

Terratina.:
Reserve me, just in case this goes ahead.

Sounds convoluted like hell though.

It does. I was hoping to try it once as a test run. If it does run smoothly then yay. If not, see what I can do to make it better.

Yeah sure I'm in and stuff.

xmbts:

>____>

No nukes.

Best of the 3:

xmbts:

>____>

No nukes.

Pff!

You're not my mom.

xmbts:

Best of the 3:

xmbts:

>____>

No nukes.

Pff!

You're not my mom.

Considering America is the child of Britain's loins, technically I am O3O

Ok this sounds fun, I guess I can enter, it sounds like being in love would be a lot of fun, specially human/werewolf love, however I've never done something like this before so I don't know if I should, but I guess I can try, if I'm bad at it you can always kill me off.

So, it's like a game of complicated mafia, only with werewolves? That's awesome, I'm in.

Kaleion:
Ok this sounds fun, I guess I can enter, it sounds like being in love would be a lot of fun, specially human/werewolf love, however I've never done something like this before so I don't know if I should, but I guess I can try, if I'm bad at it you can always kill me off.

Don't worry, it's only meant to be a little bit of light hearted fun. You can't really be to bad at it :P

Best of the 3:

Kaleion:

Don't worry, it's only meant to be a little bit of light hearted fun. You can't really be to bad at it :P

Oh, that's good to hear, in any case it should be a good experiment to try out a very different kind of game.
Incidentally, I just realized there's a sentence in my post, that can sound really bad if it's taken out of context...

Kaleion:

Best of the 3:

Kaleion:

Oh, that's good to hear, in any case it should be a good experiment to try out a very different kind of game.
Incidentally, I just realized there's a sentence in my post, that can sound really bad if it's taken out of context...

Was totally not thinking about that when I read it

Best of the 3:

Kaleion:

Was totally not thinking about that when I read it

I seriously can't stop blushing at the screen, I think I have to go hide under a rock now....
It's the little hearts, they make it worse.

Best of the 3:

xmbts:

Best of the 3:

>____>

No nukes.

Pff!

You're not my mom.

Considering America is the child of Britain's loins, technically I am O3O

Yeah but you always played favorites with Australia even let them use your flag design and everything.

Looks very similar to Serial Killer in Roleplaying, except a lot more complicated. I'll put my name down.

Seems cool, I'm in.

Best of the 3:
Time of when this should start to be confirmed.

Hmm, well since that's changed I'd like to mention that I'm interested in playing.

Mortai Gravesend:

Best of the 3:

Hmm, well since that's changed I'd like to mention that I'm interested in playing.

Yeah, didn't have a enough for a single game so I'll just leave it as TBC for now. With the players we could discuss a time to start together I guess?

Best of the 3:

Mortai Gravesend:

Best of the 3:

Yeah, didn't have a enough for a single game so I'll just leave it as TBC for now. With the players we could discuss a time to start together I guess?

Well that works for me.

I've been wondering a bit about some parts of the rules: First up, when you say the thief take an identity, does that mean that if he chooses to be a wolf, he has to act the part of a wolf? Or is it just an identity?
Also, how would the wolves communicate, through you, Best of the 3, or do they decide through PMing each others?

DarkRawen:
I've been wondering a bit about some parts of the rules: First up, when you say the thief take an identity, does that mean that if he chooses to be a wolf, he has to act the part of a wolf? Or is it just an identity?
Also, how would the wolves communicate, through you, Best of the 3, or do they decide through PMing each others?

I do believe the point is just to allow the Thief to have more options at the start. I think he's only the Thief at the very start and after that he's whatever identity he stole. That's why it says he only uses his ability at the start of the game I believe.

As for the other question, you should probably quote him so he notices.

Mortai Gravesend:

DarkRawen:

I do believe the point is just to allow the Thief to have more options at the start. I think he's only the Thief at the very start and after that he's whatever identity he stole. That's why it says he only uses his ability at the start of the game I believe.

Thank you. (: I was a bit unsure about whether I should quote him or not.

Best of the 3:
Lotsa stuff

Basically I'm wondering how the wolves will communicate.

DarkRawen:

Mortai Gravesend:

DarkRawen:

Thank you. (: I was a bit unsure about whether I should quote him or not.

Best of the 3:
Lotsa stuff

Basically I'm wondering how the wolves will communicate.

Yes, the wolves would PM each other to decide who they wanted to kill, and then PM me to say which one is killed. Same would go with the lovers. I'd probably just select one of the wolves to PM me of the choice so as not to be flooded with the same message.

i want to join... may i know when will the actual game be? hopefully i'm free by that time.. :)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here