Role-playing thread guidelines. UPDATE: 5 November 2010

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

One per customer - I like it.

Well that sucks for me but it does sound good. Lately RPs that have looked like they had potential and were going to be really popular died down to no one posting anymore and maybe it is because of what Fl@nked said. Even though it is going to mean I will have to run one at a time and post pone the others I have planned it is for the better good of a non-cluttered Forum Games & RP.

helenmary:
sounds good to me

You know it's a good policy when the gold-spammers agree with it.

one per customer... works for me!

*jumps on the bandwagon*

I agree. Unless they somehow prove that they can handle two at a time, they should not do two.

I've updated the main guidelines, go ahead and take a look and tell me what you think.

I think you have a good idea, wilson. Let the people know their own boundaries, but not go overboard.

Hi, I'm relatively new to The Escapist but I had a question about this specific forum.

I'm writing a pen and paper RPG for my friend and was tempted to post the concepts in the forum and ask people for suggestions and stuff. Now I didn't want to just go ahead and do in case of moderator wrath, a reason why there might rules against it escapes me but it doesn't mean that aren't any! It's just that it would be 'about' an RPG rather than a game in and of itself.

Or would it be better just to put it in the Off-Topic and be done with it?

rossatdi:

You should feel free to put it in either forum depending on the focus of your thread. If it is merely to gather opinion then Off-topic. If you want to play it with someone, this is the forum to post it in.

wilsonscrazybed:

rossatdi:

You should feel free to put it in either forum depending on the focus of your thread. If it is merely to gather opinion then Off-topic. If you want to play it with someone, this is the forum to post it in.

Cheers, off-topic it is. Not that I have anything against the concept of running a forum RPG but I'm looking for lore suggestions, etc at the moment.

I wanna make an RP. I had an idea for one and all...
But I'm too afraid that I'll muck it all up and maybe get printed as a spammer.
Because if there's one thing I'm sure of in life, it's that it generally takes me a few tries to get something right.
And I have school, so I wouldn't be on half of the time, so goodness knows what would 'appen when I'm gone. Might go all unorganised.

Would a forum game involving the posting of pictures made in MSpaint be allowed?
If you've ever seen Something Awful's photoshop phriday, something like that, but using paint so it is more accessable to everyone. Is there any rules against such a thread?
(I looked at the guidelines and didn't see any, but I would like to check first, as I'd rather not have the shame of a locked thread hanging over my head.)

The Iron Ninja:
Would a forum game involving the posting of pictures made in MSpaint be allowed?
If you've ever seen Something Awful's photoshop phriday, something like that, but using paint so it is more accessable to everyone. Is there any rules against such a thread?
(I looked at the guidelines and didn't see any, but I would like to check first, as I'd rather not have the shame of a locked thread hanging over my head.)

I don't believe there is, in fact there have been a few forum games using this technique.
The Massive Multiplayer Online Stick War springs to mind.

Well now all I need to do is think hard about what exactly the topic of the thread will be. Thanks Armitage Shanks

The Iron Ninja:
Well now all I need to do is think hard about what exactly the topic of the thread will be. Thanks Armitage Shanks

You know my motto, here to serve, here to protect.. or something.

The Iron Ninja:

These guidelines are for RP games only. Picture threads do okay here, as long as they aren't memeriffic, racist, sexist, or inappropriate for children. We don't need more Auschwitz and penis pictures, ever. Just make sure the participants of your thread obey the rules of common sense.

What about this? Is this acceptable?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/362.71647

The Iron Ninja:
What about this? Is this acceptable?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/362.71647

As long as it remains in good taste you won't hear a peep out of me.

Good to know, thanks.

One question, how about typing a journal or story down instead of role playing with others? Where do I do it for that? Mind PMing so that I know?

Anyone allowed to bring in The Game?

Please say no. Say no.

Ivoryagent:

Please say no. Say no.

I hate you. So very, very much.

Ultrajoe:

Ivoryagent:

Please say no. Say no.

Care of XKCD

The_root_of_all_evil:

Ultrajoe:

Ivoryagent:

Please say no. Say no.

Care of XKCD

As much as I wish it were true, it just doesn't feel quite right inside. I think the only way I can be truly happy is if I destroy the game with my own two hands.

Mogif:
One question, how about typing a journal or story down instead of role playing with others? Where do I do it for that? Mind PMing so that I know?

Your blog would be the best place for that. If you feel like you'd like to share your story with this board there is a place in your profile to link your website.

Ivoryagent:

Please say no. Say no.

I am not sure what this question means. Please elaborate.

wilsonscrazybed:

Ivoryagent:

Please say no. Say no.

I am not sure what this question means. Please elaborate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(mind_game)

does any one here have cartographer skills they could make maps and stuff

Jonathan Hexley:
Because if there's one thing I'm sure of in life, it's that it generally takes me a few tries to get something right.
And I have school, so I wouldn't be on half of the time, so goodness knows what would 'appen when I'm gone. Might go all unorganised.

Best thing you could do is ask an experienced RP'er for help. He/she'd be the assisting GM, as I've been a few times. I'm always up for helping people. Wish I'd see more of you around here, actually.

the fifth:
does any one here have cartographer skills they could make maps and stuff

Sure.

Higurashi:

Jonathan Hexley:

Best thing you could do is ask an experienced RP'er for help. He/she'd be the assisting GM, as I've been a few times. I'm always up for helping people. Wish I'd see more of you around here, actually.

Yeah, I was a frequent on here.
Then came Rock Band 2, and now I barely go on anything.

Jonathan Hexley:

That's nothing short of a stinking shame! I remember Kumi so well.
Relatively on topic though, I'm here if anyone would ever want a lil' hand. Be it playing out the bad guy in some RP, translating any of the Nordic languages or helping with RP's in any other conceivable way, I'm here.

Higurashi:

Jonathan Hexley:

That's nothing short of a stinking shame! I remember Kumi so well.
Relatively on topic though, I'm here if anyone would ever want a lil' hand. Be it playing out the bad guy in some RP, translating any of the Nordic languages or helping with RP's in any other conceivable way, I'm here.

Well, thanks for the offer mate. I'll have to take that up if the mood crosses me.

Seems fun.

as a fairly new meber to the RP scene reading this has...kinda shot my hopes down. I feel like im entering the dying age of something that was at one point great. mind you, the few that im in now do seem to be at least somewhat hopefull for survival...

also, props to Higurashi for sending me here, othewise, I would have [continued] to make an ass of myself on the forums. Thanks mate! :}

I have a few questions just regarding rp games in general as I'm new to the whole rp gaming thing.

How often do characters usually post in rp threads? Like once a day or something?

What happens when someone goes on holiday or doesn't sign in for a while with internet problems etc?

How long do rp games usually last? A couple of months tops or?

Would be very greatful for any answers, thanks in advance! :)

thehoff:
How often do characters usually post in rp threads? Like once a day or something?

It changes for every RP. Some RP's require a long post per day. Some other RP's need shorter posts throughout the day. The GM normally tells you how often to post.

thehoff:
What happens when someone goes on holiday or doesn't sign in for a while with internet problems etc?

It depends. If you say you're going to be away then they'll reserve your spot. If you just disappear then people can steal your spot in the RP. It's normally a few days before your spot is gone. Check with GM.

thehoff:
How long do rp games usually last? A couple of months tops or?

Er... It depends again. Some RP's just get done in a few days. Some are over after several weeks. Some take months. Check with the GM.

As you can see, it all depends on your GM. Try to get a well established RP with a GM you can trust. (Mobius, Qayin, Emperor Inferno are good GMs depending on your type of RP.) And go for an RP you can do well at. No point playing an RP based in a universe you have no clue about.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked