Role-playing thread guidelines. UPDATE: 5 November 2010

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Thanks for the above post, cleared a few things up for me :)

The_root_of_all_evil:

wilsonscrazybed:

Ivoryagent:
Anyone allowed to bring in The Game?

Please say no. Say no.

I am not sure what this question means. Please elaborate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(mind_game)

Hahaha some of my older friends just started playing(discovered) this. So was playing the game outlawed? Haha

What did I do to make a thread I made locked? (like what I did wrong. what are your guidelines for locking?)

Alex, I'd suggest PMing the mods directly to ask them what guidelines you violated. You'll be surer to get a response. Slightly off-topic, I didn't know "surer" was a word until now.

wilsonscrazybed:

RP thread guidelines

The following are guidelines. You are encouraged to use common sense when interpreting them.

Guidelines for game hosts.

A role-playing game requires someone in control of the direction of the thread whether it is a storyteller, a Dungeon Master, a Keeper, or whatever you want to call it. That means there needs to be a person directing the story. You may have multiple hosts if you coordinate your efforts into a cohesive story.

Do a search before posting a new RP thread. Has this been done before? Be polite and ask people before borrowing their ideas within reason. That is to say a "Ghostbusters RP" is not copyrighted, but having two going at once is a little much, don't you think?

You should refrain from hosting too many games. Obviously, we don't know how much time you have to put into a game so we'll leave that up to you. Be sensible, if you're already pretty busy, hosting a bunch of RP threads is probably unreasonable.

Make commitments! Don't walk away from your thread for a week without saying anything. You owe it to your players to tell them what's going on. If you have bitten off more than you can chew, there is no dishonour in admitting it. Users who repeatedly make RP threads and walk away from them will be treated as spammers.

Remember that you are on a forum, not a chat program. Adjust your mechanics accordingly.

Hosts should encourage interaction over mechanics. Posts like "I try to hit him with my mace of goblin hitting +1" are not as interesting as fully-fledged interaction between players. If you're struggling for a diceless role-playing system I suggest "Amber's rule-set". There are lots of ways to provide players with mechanics without dice. Do some research, the tools are out there!

If you want your upcoming RP event listed on the community map please feel free to PM me with details about the sort of story you are telling, when it begins, and how many players you need.

Guidelines for players.

Please limit "OOC:" posts. Instead use the forum's private messaging system, IM or IRC to other players to see if they are online, convey things that shouldn't be read by other players, or communicate outside of a group. If you need to communicate with multiple people at once our private messaging system allows for up to five users to be mailed at once by separating their names with a comma. (example: Darth Mobius, Eggo, Alex_P)

Don't bite off more than you can chew. You are responsible for part of the story, if you don't show up when you say you will you are not only hurting the host of the game, but all the forum members who are participating.

Create interesting, believable, characters that aren't just badass assassins/ninjas/horny toads. Your character is not his weapons, clothes, or Gucci sunglasses.

Q&A

Q: Can I tack an "OOC" message onto the end of a character interaction post?
A: Sure. As long as it doesn't make the thread harder to read in general..

Q: Does this mean that I can only have one RP going at a time?
A: No, you may have as many as you can run effectively. Though we warn you strongly that having many failed RP's may result in you being treated as a spammer.

Q: Can we RP adult situations?
A: Depends on your definition of adult I suppose. There will be absolutely no NSFW content role-played here. Take that to PM if you feel you must.

These guidelines are open to suggestions and comments. Also, feel free to ask questions here or via PM. We will post them and their answers if they are pertinent

wilsonscrazybed:

RP thread guidelines

The following are guidelines. You are encouraged to use common sense when interpreting them.

Guidelines for game hosts.

A role-playing game requires someone in control of the direction of the thread whether it is a storyteller, a Dungeon Master, a Keeper, or whatever you want to call it. That means there needs to be a person directing the story. You may have multiple hosts if you coordinate your efforts into a cohesive story.

Do a search before posting a new RP thread. Has this been done before? Be polite and ask people before borrowing their ideas within reason. That is to say a "Ghostbusters RP" is not copyrighted, but having two going at once is a little much, don't you think?

You should refrain from hosting too many games. Obviously, we don't know how much time you have to put into a game so we'll leave that up to you. Be sensible, if you're already pretty busy, hosting a bunch of RP threads is probably unreasonable.

Make commitments! Don't walk away from your thread for a week without saying anything. You owe it to your players to tell them what's going on. If you have bitten off more than you can chew, there is no dishonour in admitting it. Users who repeatedly make RP threads and walk away from them will be treated as spammers.

Remember that you are on a forum, not a chat program. Adjust your mechanics accordingly.

Hosts should encourage interaction over mechanics. Posts like "I try to hit him with my mace of goblin hitting +1" are not as interesting as fully-fledged interaction between players. If you're struggling for a diceless role-playing system I suggest "Amber's rule-set". There are lots of ways to provide players with mechanics without dice. Do some research, the tools are out there!

If you want your upcoming RP event listed on the community map please feel free to PM me with details about the sort of story you are telling, when it begins, and how many players you need.

Guidelines for players.

Please limit "OOC:" posts. Instead use the forum's private messaging system, IM or IRC to other players to see if they are online, convey things that shouldn't be read by other players, or communicate outside of a group. If you need to communicate with multiple people at once our private messaging system allows for up to five users to be mailed at once by separating their names with a comma. (example: Darth Mobius, Eggo, Alex_P)

Don't bite off more than you can chew. You are responsible for part of the story, if you don't show up when you say you will you are not only hurting the host of the game, but all the forum members who are participating.

Create interesting, believable, characters that aren't just badass assassins/ninjas/horny toads. Your character is not his weapons, clothes, or Gucci sunglasses.

Q&A

Q: Can I tack an "OOC" message onto the end of a character interaction post?
A: Sure. As long as it doesn't make the thread harder to read in general.

Q: Does this mean that I can only have one RP going at a time?
A: No, you may have as many as you can run effectively. Though we warn you strongly that having many failed RP's may result in you being treated as a spammer.

A: Depends on your definition of adult I suppose. There will be absolutely no NSFW content role-played here. Take that to PM if you feel you must.

These guidelines are open to suggestions and comments. Also, feel free to ask questions here or via PM. We will post them and their answers if they are pertinent.

Pardon my poor abbrieviation knowledge, but what is NSFW?

StarStruckStrumpets:
Pardon my poor abbrieviation knowledge, but what is NSFW?

Not Suitable For Work. Basically, your characters are not allowed to have sex or get into such situations that your boss would look at in a strange way then sack you.

StarStruckStrumpets:
*snip*

And there was no real need to quote everything Wilson said, you can do what I did.
Just be sure not to take things out of context.

how exactly does OOC work?

as in, how do I activate that square thingeh...oh no wait nvm..

yeah, too many noobs in the RP section.

Ashbax:
as in, how do I activate that square thingeh...oh no wait nvm..

There's an edit button, you know.

Thanks <3

Dastardos:

The_root_of_all_evil:

wilsonscrazybed:

Ivoryagent:
Anyone allowed to bring in The Game?

Please say no. Say no.

I am not sure what this question means. Please elaborate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(mind_game)

Hahaha some of my older friends just started playing(discovered) this. So was playing the game outlawed? Haha

Wootzorz for teh Gamezorz, I've lost it quite a few times...And reading this post made me lose it again >.<

Sounds good

doent OOC Mean breaking the fourth wall?

HAZEANDHALO:
doent OOC Mean breaking the fourth wall?

You could say that. It denotes "Out of context" or "Out of character". Simply the talk you conduct as the user on the forum; not as the character in the role-play (henceforth referred to as "RP"). We use the spoiler brackets because they hide that information, so as to make the RP a lot better looking.

I first started RPing on WoW years ago, it seemed nerdy at first but eventually i got hooked...But now I find Forum RPs are better and worse, Better - becuase you arent always limited to well, WoW based RPs. But worse, in the fact that it is sometimes difficult to keep up or imagine to scenario, whereas in wow, well, your standing there. Overall I prefer forum RPs, and Know an original RP which follows these guidelines turns out well...also, people should explian trenchcoating more often, I only found out the meaning recently and ive been on the escapist a while.

Can someone here tell me how to start a new thread on the Escapist, I can't figure it out.

LongLiveourMachine:
Can someone here tell me how to start a new thread on the Escapist, I can't figure it out.

There's a blue button on the top-right side of the threads list that says 'NEW TOPIC'.

Fire Daemon:

wilsonscrazybed:
An excellent suggestion. One per customer policy? How does everyone feel about that?

I like it.

same here

xila:
Aion Chinese Server Level 45 account, lowest price @ 50 us , for more details pls visit

http://oczillo.com//tj/?id=2&tid=3

Am I the only one seeing the irony in this.

Yes, and don't feed the trolls.

maddawg IAJI:

xila:
Aion Chinese Server Level 45 account, lowest price @ 50 us , for more details pls visit

http://oczillo.com//tj/?id=2&tid=3

Am I the only one seeing the irony in this.

No, /faceroll

Say you have a recruitment thread for a game and it's going nowhere, and currently lying around page 6. How often can/should you bump it?

Question, is there any rule considering how often a GM can kill off player characters?

Exictednuke:
Question, is there any rule considering how often a GM can kill off player characters?

If you set it up when you start the RP I don't think that there is any rule or set time limit

The Cadet:
Say you have a recruitment thread for a game and it's going nowhere, and currently lying around page 6. How often can/should you bump it?

Once a day keeps it up and not obnoxious. It looks best if it's done by other users of course. ;)

Exictednuke:

Not generally. The concept which would affect that would be to "not be a dick". It's your RP, but you're only going to piss of players if you're mean to them, and the RP depends on them.

Exictednuke:

That's a good question. I was involved in an RP, and the GM killed off my character suddenly and without my knowing. The GM and the player should talk before deaths are involved. Unless of course the player left the RP and left their character to the whims of the GM. Then, a death can be a useful plot-device.

Mookie_Magnus:

Exictednuke:

That's a good question. I was involved in an RP, and the GM killed off my character suddenly and without my knowing. The GM and the player should talk before deaths are involved. Unless of course the player left the RP and left their character to the whims of the GM. Then, a death can be a useful plot-device.

Or, conversely, the player made a painfully stupid mistake. In my opinion, what the GM did to you was unfair and unreasonable. But in, say, combat, where the death of one person or group is sometimes the only answer, someone being killed off will happen, and odds are it will be the player if they fool up catastrophically. Although in my experience, GMs are fairly merciful and give people a number of chances before that sort of thing happens.

Forgive me if this is not the right place for a question such as the following. It is a strange one, seeing as it does not pertain to the games themselves. These, I(mostly) know how to work with. Rather, it is a question of practicality within the framework:
I like role playing games. This much you all know. I like being a narrator very much, but once in a while the desire to play a character strikes me.
I am not sure whether it will ever be possible for me, thaugh, to play as a character in a game in this forum. Apperantly, living where I do, I am asleep(or at school) while most members of this RP community are awake, and vice versa. Ergo I am unable to post quickly in reaction to game events or to another player's post, since by the time I get to the computer to write the post, the rest of the players have moved on in time.
This means the closest I will ever be able to play on these forums as a player in a game will be as a solo character. An these are not as fun as members of a group.
What do you think? Is there a solution to the problem? If so, what is it?

Thank you very much for your time and possibly for your answears.
Have a pleasent day.

Oneirius:
*snip*

That's the beauty of forum role-playing. You don't have to respond quickly. The RP progresses as the characters do. Just don't pick the fast-paced ones, and you will be fine. You seem interested, so don't hesitate to PM me if you want to talk about role-playing some more. =)
My RP guide is also open for discussion, so if you have more questions to the community as a whole, they will fit right in there.

wilsonscrazybed:

I might be sorry for asking but what does NSFW mean? If its really bad you don't have to tell me.
EDIT: I should have read this whole thread before posting this.

500th post!

EDIT:EDIT: What happens if it is suitable for work?
(by that I mean what happens if your work is some place that allows extreme adult stuff like the stuff you are talking about).

EDIT:EDIT:EDIT: Not that I work in such a place just wondering what if?

Tuddle:

wilsonscrazybed:

I might be sorry for asking but what does NSFW mean? If its really bad you don't have to tell me.
EDIT: I should have read this whole thread before posting this.

500th post!

EDIT:EDIT: What happens if it is suitable for work?
(by that I mean what happens if your work is some place that allows extreme adult stuff like the stuff you are talking about).

EDIT:EDIT:EDIT: Not that I work in such a place just wondering what if?

I think Not Safe For Work is more a general term, not related to where you personally work. xD

Thanks, good advice.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked