Let's Play: UFO Enemy Unknown

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

+++
Personal log
04-28-99
Sgt. Jack Lavish, Soldier

+++
So, an alien base. It was bound to happen sooner or later. I guess now is as good as time as any since we don't have a lot of guys in the infirmary. And with the heavy plasma and power armour I hope we will be able to handle it. Still, I can't help but to feel anxious about this.
Honestly, for all the guys bravado, myself included, we are basically doing this struggle blindfolded. Last mission we ran into a new kind of baddie. Mooton Muton I think the guys at sci div dubbed them, Don't matter much. We just have to take them out. Trouble is, he was pretty tough. Who the hell knows what kind of surprises they have in store for us in their lair.

On another note: what the hell is up with the people back home who talk about mutual and peaceful coexistence with our alien brethren? Are they insane? Have they face them in combat as we have and seen the senseless slaughter they perpetrate on their terror missions? I think not. Damn traitors. Makes me wonder, are the aliens somehow infiltrating our society? If so, what do we do about the traitors when we are done killing the aliens? I'm thinking trials and prison. Though a small part of me want to slam them against a wall and shoot them Unless the aliens somehow are able to control our brains.

Never mind. I need to focus on the task at hand. I need to be there and not miss my shot when the guys count on me. As I count on them. Even if we have some people who get a lot of glory I must confess that our team is fucking top notch. Makes me proud and I feel that that alone is worth fighting for, even if people back home knows nothing of our struggle to keep them safe. I guess the old saying about truth being the first casualty of war is true. They keep a tight lid on this.

Think I'll head for the training rooms and get some more practice with this armour. I can't count on my luck another time and even though the armour is good, if not great, I need to get used to the it limits my mobility. Hope some of the others are there as well. Some company would do me good. All this thinking is not exactly doing wonders for my moral. I would do anything for a beer right now.

End Entry
+++

*** CLASSIFIED: ABOVE TOP SECRET ***
X-Com Command Staff Eyes Only

X-Com Battle Report, Alien Base Assault 1

Assaulting the aliens' base was going to be tough. There were two entrances, and entering in two places might give better flanking opportunities, but rather than split our forces in unknown territory, the decision was made to concentrate the assault at one of them.

AceDiamond took the latest UCV down the gravlift entry to the base and scouted around, corridors branched off in all directions. He started rolling west and immediately spotted an enemy sentry.

Schizzy descended after the UCV and lined up and shot the alien.

The rest of the squad filed down the gravlift. As the UCV advanced further, AceDiamond spotted another alien waiting in ambush.

Longshot rounded the corner and gunned the waiting alien down.

To the north of their position, Vanilla Gorilla got a good look at the base's contents. The aliens were growing some kind of weird plants. This base might be part of a terraforming operation.

As the squad dispersed, AceDiamond spotted a Reaper in a corridor to the southwest.

Longshot lined up and killed it.

More of the aliens plants were spread out around the base, almost the whole northern edge was covered with them.

The UCV advanced into the corridor where the reaper had been, and was destroyed by plasma fire from the west.

Bling Cat II rounded the eastern corner of this corridor from another direction and spotted two aliens.

She let loose with a stun bomb, but neither went down. Meanwhile, Vanilla Gorilla crept up behind an alien in the northwest corner of the base and terminated it.

Schizzy moved up to support Bling Cat II and downed two of the aliens, but there was a third waiting behind them.

East of their position, Jack Lavish rounded a corner and heard plasma shots smack into the wall beside him. He spotted the shooter in a corridor to the south.

He returned fire and the alien was history.

After taking fire from Schizzy, the aliens in the corridor to the west clear out. One rounds a corner and shoots RootOfAllEvil, but the Power Suit takes the hit. RootOfAllEvil advances and finds the alien who shot him, the alien doesn't survive.

Advancing further, RootOfAllEvil spots a Reaper. Combined hits it with a rocket, but it survives. RootOfAllEvil finishes it off. Meanwhile, an alien rounds the corner in front of Longshot, he opens fire and it goes down.

In the northwest corner of the base, Vanilla Gorilla finds a gravlift leading up. Years of active service with the SAS barely prepare him for what he sees. Grisly alien trophies, humans and parts of humans, displayed in elaborate cases.

Combat continued in the west meanwhile, Schizzy and Bling Cat II exchange fire with a pair of Floaters at the western end of the corridor.

Eventually Schizzy hits one of the aliens, and the other retreats out of sight.

RootOfAllEvil flanks and kills it though.

No sooner has this alien fallen than Schizzy feels the jolt of impact and the searing burn of plasma through the backplates of his armour. He turns to see an alien firing at him with a pistol. He raises his Heavy Plasma and burns the alien down.

Turning back to the corridor, he sees another Reaper through the holes blown in the wall.

He opens fire and bathes it in lethal plasma.

RootOfAllEvil advances into the south facing part of the corridor, he comes under fire from an alien to the south, but to no effect. He turns and vapes the shooter, spotting another in the process.

Bling Cat II rounds the inner corner and riddles this one with laser pistol fire.

Gamebrain89 in the southern half of the base has discovered another of the aliens' horrific trophy rooms. He keeps his lunch, but only just. Meanwhile, the sounds of plasma gunfire and explosions begin to come from the room surrounded by corridors that have seen most of the fighting so far. No X-Com personnel have yet penetrated this room, the aliens appear to be panic firing. Sure enough, an alien flies blindly out of the room, and Schizzy blows it away. It turns out to have been unarmed, probably having dropped it's weapon to make a break for it.

Bling Cat II dives into the room it came from and up the gravlift. Two aliens are huddled together next to the lift, one has dropped it's weapon. She blasts both with a stun bomb, and they crumple.

The stunned aliens are cleared, and samples of most of the base contents are recovered. The team carry the nuclear warhead into the base control centre, and arm the device. Given the horrific contents of the base, the squad will be happy to see it buried for good.

Report Ends

----

Mission Debriefing, General McSwine

This mission saw intense fighting, especially around the control room. Several X-Com personnel are lucky to be walking today, however the mission has been completed successfully, and the aliens' beachhead on earth has been eliminated. Most importantly, however, we now know that these aliens know fear, and it wears an X-Com badge.

Schizzy picked up a minor wound, and will be out of action for three days.

Meanwhile, our science team has managed to come up with a field medikit that will help with wounds inflicted by plasma weapons. Manufacture of these has begun at the south East Asia base, and we will soon be able to deploy enough to minimise treatment time in case of future injury.

Journal Entry, 4/28/99
Jason "Cyberoth" Holt, X-Com

It's a miracle. We stormed an alien base, outnumbered almost 2 to 1 in the aliens familiar ground. And got out with 2 prisoners, a crap load of loot, and it only cost us a tank and some gas.

Halle-frickin'-lujah.

Schizzy's out of it for 3 days, think I'll drop in and tell him hi.

But OH MY GOD WE DIDN'T LOSE A SINGLE MAN ON OUR MOST DANGEROUS MISSION TO DATE WE NEED TO CELEBRATE.

--JCH

+++
Journal Entry, April 28, 1999
Sgt. Simon "Higurashi" Nilsson, X-Com Alpha-Squad
---

Wow. Just wow. The operation went about as well as I had hoped, and as free of casualties as I expected. I'll go talk to Schizzy though. Staying behind can be very frustrating.. kind of how I stayed behind in the mission, except I was not frustrated at all. Scouting is also important work.
I knew the aliens would not be allowed any kind of foothold on our planet. Perhaps they have learnt a lesson by now. Knowing their persistence however, I think not. Besides, it is on the other hand better if they learn nothing. The invasion of our soil does make me think we should start thinking about locating the bastards and retaliate though. I hope our scientists focus on this exploit as soon as possible. I want to end this, for everyone I love. Aight, I'm off to talk to Schizzy and then rest. I really need it.

-Higs, the crusader.

+++

Personal Log, April 28th,1999
Jordan "Gamebrain89" McAllister, X-Com Sniper Division

Sick. Twisted. Disgusting. Thats all I can think after the mission. I should be happy, we got out of there with a minimum of casualties, destroyed the place, and got a hell of a lot of great stuff for the scientists back at the base. So why can I only think about that damn room? I stumbled into it, and nearly hurled inside my armor. Human body parts, displayed in cases like they where trophies. I managed to hold down my lunch, but this just emphasizes why we are doing this. All those people, tortured and killed, and then the freaking aliens act like they were killing animals. We WILL make these things pay. Then they will be the ones on display in our museums, a stuffed exibit for school children to make faces at. They will regret the day they ever laid foot on our planet.

Journal Entry, 28/4/99

Well, they did it, I might have been left behind, but I'm glad for it; from what the boys have been saying, I'm really glad I wasn't picked for the assault, hell, what they saw down there, in that base, it's...some of the soldiers are having nightmares about it, the very thought makes me shiver.

But I must try not to think about it; the medikits are finished, sent my request to use one of them on the field; they would have been finished earlier if Shanks let me test the prototype on him, he's been talking to that scout, but we changed the chemicals in the kit after we found that the early biofoam was flammable, so I don't see why he should have been worried.

--END RECORDING--

---Application for medikit use, received 10:43, 28th April, 1999---
--Subject name:Dexter Brocklebank--
--Subject rank:Corporal--
-Requested item/clearance/transfer:Medikit-

Sir

As you may know, the medikit prototype will be complete later today, while it will be finished in time for the base assault it should be ready if anyone needs it.

I wish to use one of these kits next time I am deployed on a mission, I already had some medical experience as you know, but I also had the opportunity to help test the early medikit prototypes and as such have some experience in electronic interface.

I hope you will consider my proposal

Yours faithfully

---Subject signature---

Personal Log
April 28, 1999
Maximilan "Ace" Diamond, X-Com: HWP Division

For once I can't really feel bad about losing a tank. After all it was in unfamiliar territory and as usual, was our only real loss of the mission. Everything that the squad was able to load onto the Skyranger was taken back to base, and the Kamchatka Peninsula has a nice smoking crater where there used to be a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

I sincerely hope the beings we captured can finally give some answers as to where these bastards are coming from.

RARGH....Keep firing...I'm still coming for ya!!!

Ahem ;)

+++
Personal log
04-28-99
Sgt. Jack Lavish, Soldier

+++

Words don't quite lend themselves to describing the elation we felt after we completed the mission. The mood in the Skyranger heading home was so different from the apprehensive brroding on the outbound trip. I honestly can't believe we managed to purge the alien scum without a single casualty, apart from Schizzys minor wound. Doc says he'll be right as rain in a few days.

Oh, and Ace lost another 'bot. I feel sorry for the guy. Mut be annoying as hell to calibrate a new system all the time. Sometimes I think he gets a bit too attached to the machines as well. It's not a problem as such, but it seems as if the loss of a 'bot hits him hard at times. I'll pop by after workout and see how he's doing.

For my case I managed to score another kill, though I was a bit too close to getting shot again for my taste. I must confess to feeling a very dirty glee everytime I manage to snuff one of them. Kinda makes me wonder what kind of person I am. But there you have it. And whatever I may be it doesn't really matter; the good guys won again.

I wonder when our prisoners start to give us some intel. Hell knows we need every slight edge we can get. Hope the guys a sci div are doing their damnedest to make them spill their guts. Can't say I would mind if they made them spill 'em in the literal sense. After seeing those cages or whatever the hell they were I'm even more certain that this is a menace that has to be exterminated with all available weapons. Just a shame we can't nuke the bastards.

End Entry
+++

Personal Log
============
Lt. Konstantin "Schizzy" Sikorsky
Directorate V
Federalnaya Sluzhba Bezopasnosti
Rossiyskoy Federaciyi
==================================

Dammit! My back burns like a damn Chernobyl meltdown! What has that idiot Victor gotten me into?

Three days here and I've learned that not only bobble-headed greyskins and floating rubber suits are invading, but space snakes and monkeys too! SNAKE AND MONKEYS!

Before long, word went out that we're going to destroy an alien base! Got shoved into the plane for deployment. Captain Shanks had to teach me how to use their "Plasma" weapons and Power Suits en route.

But as strange as all this was to me, combat was familiar. The minute we touched down, all my Vympel training kicked in. Killed four of the floating rubber suits, and one of their two-legged dogs, before one shot me in the back (and the reason why I'm stuck in the infirmary). Shot the backstabbing floater. I was by then so hopped up on adrenalin, I didn't realise that the last floater was unarmed when I blasted him.

The good news; they only bumped me down to Sergeant. And the guys here are friendly. Some came to see me after I got 'interned'. Heh heh.

X-Com Incident Report, 30th April

Whether in retaliation for the attack on their base, or just as part of the ongoing terror campaign against civilians, we don't know, but mere days after the base assault we picked up a large vessel heading in for a terror assault.

Determined not to let the aliens have their way with civilian populations, two interceptors were dispatched and the vessel was caught and downed over the central Sahara.

With the craft downed in inhospitable terrain, the Skyranger was able to wait for full daylight before beginning the recovery assault.

Report Ends

----

X-Com Battle Report, UFO Crash Recovery 12

Though slightly smaller than the supply vessels we have assaulted, this UFO was still the largest yet shot down by X-Com interceptors, and since it's mission was aggressive in nature, fierce resistance was expected. The skyranger touched down to the west of the crashed vessel, and AceDiamond rolled the UCV down the ramp. He met no initial resistance, and took up an overwatch position.

Scouts deployed to the other side of the Skyranger reported first sighting of an alien, this was not one of the reptilian Snakemen indicated by comms intercept, but a nightmarish mockery of human form in black chitin.

Cyberoth II disembarked from the skyranger and brought his heavy plasma to bear on the alien monstrosity. It screamed and died.

AceDiamond began advancing, another of the horrific aliens was spotted on the crest of a dune to the southwest.

RootOfAllEvil and GameBrain89 opened fire on this one, it survived RootOfAllEvil's hit, but Gamebrain89's put it down for good.

As AceDiamond rounded the corner of a dune south of the UFO, a Snakeman finally appeared, taking a shot at the UCV and damaging it, AceDiamond responded with a rocket, but it clipped the sand dune and exploded prematurely.

Birras climbed to the top of the dune and fired a rocket down onto the Snakeman from above, this one connected.

Advancing further between the dunes, another snakeman is spotted and destroyed by a rocket from Combined, this flushes out a third, who meets a rocket from AceDiamond.

The sound of rocket fire to the south draws another of the aliens out of the UFO.

It is shot by soldiers covering the door.

The team prepares to enter the UFO, elements will enter both doors and a breach in the central wall.

The charges go off and the squad rush in. Bling Cat II and the soldier at the western door come face to face with a Snakeman.

Heavy Plasma fire soon puts it out of action though.

Higurashi and Dekkarax follow the UCV into the eastern door, this side appaears clear for now.

Not so at the east, where another of the chitinous monstrosities is spotted.

Fortunately it is swiftly exterminated.

It is followed by a Snakeman, who is stunned by Bling Cat II, instinctively firing a stun bomb at the movement. Meanwhile, Dekkarax' sharp eyes spot two Snakemen lying in wait above an ambush hole on the first floor of the UFO. He shoots one.

And signals the position of the other to Higurashi, who terminates it.

Report Ends.

----

Swift action on the part of X-Com prevented these aliens from attacking civilian populations. I dread to think what damage could have been done if they had managed to reach a major city. We have also met the third alien species' terror weapons, and never could there have been a more apt description.

Personal Log
April 30, 1999
Maximilian "Ace" Diamond, X-Com: HWP Division

Slimy bastards must have gotten complacent and cocky. Thought that they could ruin our celebration of taking down one of their bases by invading a city. Well not this time, and hopefully not ever again.

I have no idea what the nature of the terror units the Snakemen were bringing with them, but they creep me right the fuck out. They almost remind me of the Xenomorphs from the Aliens films in appearance. I hope that's not what they're like in function.

In any event it feels good to have the replacement tanks at the ready, especially given the helpful fire support I dealt out this time around. Nobody's gonna miss a few sand dunes in the Sahara, right?

Personal Log
April 30, 1999
Jordan "Gamebrain89" McAllister, X-Com Sniper Division

Well what ever the hell that thing was, its dead as a doornail now. Root was pretty pissed off that his shot only wounded it, and I get the kill notch. Sucks to be him. I think we ruined their plans pretty good this time, dropping that UFO before it could make it to a city. Ace seems alot happier now that his spare tank is here, and that he got a kill this time. Things are running suprisingly smoothly, hopefully we can keep it up. Well, I hear some guys heading for the mess, think I will follow them and get some chow.

//Audio Log of Subject "Longshot"
April 30, 1999
--------------
*static*
Te-*static*
*static*-it
*Loud banging noise*
There! Damn machine...
Uh, so... Yeah, this is me, Longshot. If you're listening to this, it means I'm already dead. Or not. Hrm. This is gonna serve as my personal memoirs of the time spent in the X-Com, for later chronicling. If, or when, we get these critters of our planet, stuff like this is going to be highly sought, pieces of history.
So, I've recently completed my basic training, and have been on my first three missions. Already been able to add three marks to my forearm... Yeah, it's kindda sick, when you think about it, but it helps keep your thoughts locked away... Like, as longs as one keeps to his rituals, it's easier to cope with all this madness. I'm sure the other's have their ways of coping as well.
Being with these guy's have been en eyeopener. I've served with many outfits , but this is something different... Instead of fighting for cash, this is about freedom. We are the last obstacle between the intruders, and humanity... I just pray that I can live up to that. The others certainly does.

Keep my aim true, and hope my luck lasts.
--------------
Log Ends

Personal Log
April 30, 1999
The Root Of All Evil, X-Com Sniper Division

Those alien scumbuckets have started wearing armour. That's against the rules. That damn shot should have shredded him. If I see Jordan make that gesture once more, I'm gonna nip down to the labs and leave one of the dissections on his bed.

Sarge says I have an attitude problem.

Log ends.

Personal Log
============
Sgt. Konstantin "Schizzy" Sikorsky
April 30, 1999
Whatever salve they're applying on my burns, its working like a miracle. I've never seen anything like it; I can barely even see the burn marks anymore. If we only had this stuff back in Afghanistan. Perhaps we could have saved poor comrade Alexei's good looks when he took a phosphorous round to the face.

No longer suffering from first degree burns, I've finally got to notice my surroundings. I must say that the medical facilities here is nothing short of extraordinary. Back home, the best a burn victim could hope for was a thin foam mattress on a cold metal bunk bed. If doctors came to check on your condition at least once a day, you were lucky. Here, the beds are soft and smooth, and the nurses aren't the bears we have. Almost wish I were wounded every mission.

End log.

Note: Have also amended my designation as befitting my rank within the X-Com command structure.

*** Classified: Above Top Secret ***
X-Com Council of Funding Nations Gold Level Clearance Required.

X-Com Monthly Performance Report, April 1999

April has seen an unprecedented amount of alien activity, with both overt and covert attempts to infiltrate Earth and destroy civilian morale. The core of the Aliens' attack was the establishment of a secret base in Siberia.

X-Com rose to the challenge posed by the invaders, however, and not only was this base destroyed, one assault on civilan populations was met and repulsed and another was averted entirely.

X-Com finds itself on a much firmer financial footing due to the salvage provided by seizure and recovery operations for this month, as well as the full scale manufacturing operation in South East Asia. Income has caught up with maintenance costs, and anything beyond has been taken as profit, to be turned around to directly fund the war effort.

To this end, X-Com is starting up HyperWave listening stations in South Africa and Brazil.

Between these new listening stations and the existing X-Com facilities we anticipate total communications intercept coverage for all land masses on Earth by the end of May.

Coupled with interceptors housed in the Europe, United States, and China facilities this will give us shoot down capability the world over.

In light of the increased confidence among funding nations that X-Com can protect their populations, the council of funding nations approves another increase in X-Com funding.

Report Ends

so, another crate of champagne then?

OOC: just noticed on the monthly report screen, was the anti gravity currency R&D's doing?

Personal Log
May 1st 2am, 1999

Sarge says the hyperwave decoders can't get us decent TV channels here. I still think the Officer's mess has them though.

Put on potato duty again for trying to sneak in.

Log ends.

Personal Log
============
May 1, 1999
Got discharged today. Kind of disappointed about that. Back to bunk beds and no nurse to kiss me goodnight.

On the way back from the infirmary, I came across some financial documents. Turns our we're only getting eight million a month. With 16 countries backing X-Com to save the world, you'd think they'd be pouring more cash in.

Don't matter. Time to hit the firing range, then the gym. Got to work off those extra meals their lovely nurses kept bringing.

End log.

Personal Log
May 1, 1999
Maximilian "Ace" Diamond, X-Com; HWP Division

I find it laughable that we're out here saving humanity and we only got an extra $1 million from the various UN countries who even bother to fund us. I mean yes it'd be hard to explain a paper trail but I've seen what they earmark these transactions under. Things like research for "The best-tasting sandwich" and "whether or not ants can adjust tiny screws in zero gravity". I'm sure there's no end of frivolous pork-barrel programs they can funnel money into (which of course goes to us)

Oh well, at least this funding boost will pay for 2 more tanks after this one gets trashed I guess.

I've had a bit more downtime to practice at the range with one of the Laser Rifles still hanging about in the place, since I'm still paranoid about the aliens eventually trying to attack us at the source. But I'm sure this will only be a last resort, as much as I might crave field duty at times I do get reminded almost daily of what it is that awaits such an assignment.

Personal Log
May 1, 1999
Dalton "Doomsly" McSlaughter

I knew I shouldn't have gone out drinking with the guys the night before the base invasion. I never have known when to stop, and alcohol poisoning is a bitch. I'm only just now back in commission. I missed everything, and it's my own damn fault.

*Sigh*

Well, once I'm finished working off my punishment for irresponsible behavior, maybe I can redeem myself in the field. I hear we've got new listening stations on the way. More stations means more downed ships, so there should be plenty of action on the way.

Ah well. Toilets, here I come...

-Doomsly

P.S.: Incidentally...it's the first of May. Outdoor fucking starts today.

Personal log

Firth spin of the sun, fifth furn of the calendar.
Fury, capslock fury.

And so ends April; the busiest month we have had yet. I can't help but feel as time progressed so too will the frequency of the alien incursions. Is this really how its going to be for the rest of our lives? Can we hope to win in a war against an enemy that has the capacity to travel between galaxies?

I know it seems silly to be so pessimistic after out recent string of smashing victories, but everyone knows luck can't hold out for ever. IF anything helped to drill that point home it was hearing that Shanks had taken a wound; or even the new kid Schizzy.

I find myself constantly questioning my mortality as the days grow into months. You know although I would never confess it to anyone out loud, secretly I am glad I wasn't picked to raid the alien base; I couldn't shake the feeling that some one would be coming home from that mission in a body bag. And no matter how hard I tried to shake it from my head, I was convinced it would be me.

Looks like i get to see at least the start of another month. May my laser be charged and my sight be true.

the fury of caps.

X-Com Indcident Report, 1st May

First of the month, regular as clockwork, an alien vessel pinged up on comms intercept. It was close by, so we didn't have long to wait before an interceptor chased it over Holland and brought it down.

The team assembled and took off in good order to bring the bits back.

Report Ends

----

X-Com Battle Report, UFO Crash Recovery 13

Deployment went smoothly this time. There was no fire from the aliens on deployment, and the squad took up positions around the Skyranger.

The UFO was completely wrecked by the impact, it was likely some of the crew bought it when they crashed.

AceDiamond advanced the UCV towards the crash site, spotting a Floater in the smoke.

Jack Lavish rounded the corner of the nearby farmhouse and shot it dead. Advancing further into the wreckage revealed another alien inside with the bodies of two of it's fallen crewmates. Bling Cat II shot this one from the south.

As the UCV reached the far edge of the smoke cloud the UFO was giving off, AceDiamond spotted a Floater on the roof of a barn to the northwest. We mustn't underestimate the ability of this race to fly under their own power.

Despite the range, Jack Lavish was able to take this one out as well.

Meanwhile, exploring a farmhouse to the southwest, Bling Cat spotted another alien at the top of the first floor staircase. With little chance of missing at this close range, she shot it and ended the mission.

----

Once again, recovery ran by the book here. We are reminded that the Floater race can get themselves into positions inaccessible to X-Com personnel, but sharp eyes and accurate shots more than make up for it.

Personal Log
May 1st, 1999

Frankly I'm surprised any of the aliens survived that crash. The UFO was pretty much a burnt-out husk and how it was even still holding together is beyond me. My personal theory is that, since the Floaters have anti-gravity abilities, they may have jumped from the ship moments before impact. Granted not all of them got out, they must've tried to hopelessly save the vessel and the data they'd collected. Given how there wasn't even anything useful left in the craft after the power source detonated with the force of a small nuclear bomb I can say they failed. The citizens of Europe can rest easy for a while. I doubt the aliens got any good data on a place to hit for a terror strike...not that we'd let them get close enough anyway.

Personal Log
============
May 1, 1999
Had no chance to practice at the range. No sooner had I set up my firing lane than the alarm bells went off. Got excited. A chance to practice on live targets instead. Or so I thought. Ace, Jack and Bling cleaned out the area before I even cleared the ramp.

Back to the range for me.

Excerpt Personal Journal, General McSwine

Day 121, R & R

After the frenetic pace of April, the aliens backed off at the start of May. Nearly two weeks passed before we saw a peep from them again. In that time, the science team had the chance to complete work on a craft mounted version of the aliens' Plasma weapons.

When we can deploy these weapons, they will provide a massive firepower boost to our interceptors, allowing them to take on all but the very largest alien craft singlehanded. However, their huge complexity will necessitate a vastly increased workshop complex, and construction has only just begun on the required facilities, and the engineering, science, and combat staff have been expanded once more.

The team began work on the aliens' navigation systems and dissecting one of the salvaged sectoid corpses for study.

A small scale incident occured on the 4th of May, a UFO was detected heading towards North America again.

However, this was one of the smallest scout vessels, and was destroyed utterly by missile fire.

The peace and quiet allowed the science division to work uninterrupted, and not only complete their research into UFO navigation systems, but also put together the following dossier on the Sectoid species.

----

Attachment: Alien Species Dossier, Sectoid Race

End Attachment

----

The science team think they can use the information from captured UFOs to produce higher capability vessels for X-Com to use to intercept alien craft. Team A began preliminary work on this project, whilst Team B began interrogation of the captured Floater that had commanded one of the siezed supply vessels.

Our reverie was broken, once again, by the incursion alarm from South East Asia.

----

X-Com Incident Report, 12th May

The intruder was detected far out over Australia by the South East Asia's new comms intercept facility. They called it in and launched their interceptor to try and catch the alien vessel. The alien was on a high speed approach, however, and outran the interceptor. As the vessels approached the Middle East, a second interceptor from Europe launched to attempt to intercept head on.

The alien turned westward and headed out over the Mediterranean, where it was finally caught.

The craft was shadowed and herded over the mainland of Italy, where it was shot down.

The Skyranger launched to intercept, and was minutes from touchdown when disaster struck.

Another, larger alien vessel, intent on striking a city.

Report Ends

----

X-Com Battle Report, UFO Crash Recovery 14

Knowing that the pressure was on to complete this mission quickly, AceDiamond rolled out of the skyranger, he immediately spotted the first Floater to the west and took a shot. The rocket went wide however.

CAPSLOCK FURY headed out after the UCV and was able to put the alien down however.

The squad advanced into a comparitively heavily built up area, as they did so, Gamebrain89 spotted an alien on the second floor of a barn through a window.

The heavy weapons troops and UCV had all skirted around the north edge of the settlement, so the team were forced to use their Heavy Plasma guns to scythe through the walls of the barn to give Looney a clear shot at the alien, which put it straight down.

It wasn't alone up there either, Jack Lavish spotted a second alien behind the first, and was able to shoot it before it could bring it's weapon to bear.

Rounding the buildings to the north, AceDiamond spotted a fourth alien.

He fired once more, but the alien was in a tight alley between two buildings, and the rocket slammed into a wall and detonated.

CAPSLOCK FURY once again followed up the UCV, and was able to make the shot down the alley, putting the alien down.

No more aliens were waiting outside the UFO, so the team readied to breach in and terminate the crew.

Lessons learned attacking previous Large Scout UFOs led to the placement of a third entry team at the door.

The charges exploded and Armitage Shanks, out of sickbay and ready for action once more checked the interior, he spotted an alien and CAPSLOCK FURY backing him up took it out.

Meanwhile Jack Lavish and the scout at the northern breach spotted one of the bridge crew. Jack Lavish put it down.

More aliens rushed to the bridge to try and drive the boarders back, one walked into a stun bomb, and Jack Lavish trained his weapon on the other.

After exchanging some fire, the alien was finally put out of action.

At this, another alien ran out of the bridge area, shooting the scout in the face, but not breaching his armour. It ducked back into the cover of the engineering room, and the scout gave chase.

With nowhere left to hide, the alien was gunned down.

Report Ends

----

This mission was completed in a timely fashion, a good job, as the sword of damocles hangs over us yet, with another intruder in atmosphere and ready to strike at a populated area.

Due to the larger staff, a further round of promotions has been made.

Birras is now promoted to overall commander of X-Com combat personnel, and Armitage Shanks is promoted to Colonel in his place. Since Shanks is now a command rank it is no longer appropriate for him to take a high risk role in assaulting UFOs, fortunately though, extended range time has paid off so he will be trading his scout loadout for that of a sniper, providing long range tactical awareness and covering fire.

----

X-Com Incident Report, 13th May

The second UFO in atmosphere is now our primary concern. I admit that the timing of the strike was masterful, just as the interceptor flight had exhausted themselves tracking down a fast moving diversionary attack, the main force arrived, only one interceptor was able to launch to meet it, and prior experience has shown that a single interceptor does not carry sufficient warload to disable one of these craft.

The alien vessel first made for Cairo.

Presence of the interceptor appeared to deter it, however, and it left Egypt heading west.

Halfway to Casablanca, the intruder diverted a second time, heading south with much greater purpose. The Skyranger was refuelled by this time, and also launched to react as soon as possible to the aliens at their target.

We could not stop them in the air this time. We would stop them on the ground. The prospect of facing the Snakemen's terror weapons, capable of unsettling the most hardened X-Com personnel, in a populated area is horrifying, but we must stop them.

Report Ends

Personal Log
May 13th 9:07am, 1999

Finally, all that work has been rewarded. And just in time so it seems.

We're just coming in over Nigeria now, and I can already see plumes of smoke.

Lock and load gentlemen, and first one to bag one of these "terror weapons" gets a free beer when we get back.

Log ends.

--++Audio Log++--
--++May 13th 9:07am, 1999++--
Colonel Armitage 'Recruitment' Shanks, Seconded to X-Com Sniper Division
-Log Begins:
Col. Shanks-"Gents, we ride into battle, and as your new field CO, I take it now as my duty to do as Commander Birras would do, as any good leader should: give sound advice before battle, but, as many of you know, I am a man of few words."
*Muffled laughter is head*
"So, my advice before we touch down: Don't get shot.

Thats all, as you were men. Err, that is, assuming you were all men before... nevermind."

--++Log ends++--

Personal Audio Log
May 13th, 1999; 9:07am Zulu.

<Text transcript follows>

I have to make this short, we're inbound to the site and I haven't run the startup routines for the tank yet. Additionally I'm filing this under audio because I need my hands free to initialize the tank's systems.

The aliens are learning from their long string of failures and this time seek victory against an unarmed populace again. We've just gotten word that they've hit Lagos. I fear we may not find anyone left given that this is a ship crewed by Snakemen and we all remember the fearsome appearance of their terror units, capabilities of which are still unknown.

*sounds of keystrokes*

Satellite data shows numerous large fires in the city, apparently the terror ship unleashed an airstrike to clear an LZ. No telling how many civvies got vaped in that one attack.

I only ask the gods of war allow my tank to last long enough to make a difference this time, and that all of our men come back alive.

*additional sounds of keystrokes and the indistinct sound of a synthetic voice*

I'm commencing the startup checks for the tank right now. Computer, file this as "AD_Audio1" under the usual encryptions along with my other log entries. End log.

*Transmission Ends*

Personal log
Fury, CAPSLOCK FURY

thirteenth turn of the sun, firth page of the calendar.

Saw some serious active combat yesterday, the filthy scum lost one of there craft over Italy and I was part of the ground team sent to react to it. But we had only been in the air a short time when we heard that a second craft had been seen approaching; evidently intent on a terror mission. The bastards had bluffed us.

Maybe that is why I killed the way I did when I hit the ground. I have never been so infuriated in my life; those filthy bastards bluffed us. And i can't shake the feeling that maybe, just maybe; it has something to do with my premonitions last month. When will the war end? Are they getting smarter? God damn it. I will kill every single last one of them if I have to; by righteous burning plasma they shall know my name, they shall know and they shall fear.

I added three heads to my tally this mission. But whether it is three, or three hundred. Hell even three hundred thousand; I wont stop killing until they stop coming. Death is all they will find here.

On the staffing side of things more promotions went out today. Birras is now the head honcho. I can't disagree withe this decision. It was also great to see Shanks being promoted to colonel. I know he will do us all proud, although I'm going to miss having him stand shoulder to shoulder with me on the field. He gave us quite the motivational speech shortly after his inauguration as colonel, with some of the most sound advice offered since this war began.

Armitage Shanks:

"So, my advice before we touch down: Don't get shot.

don't worry Sir. I don't intend to.

The fury of caps, out.

+++
Journal Entry, May 13, 1999
---

It would seem the aliens are learning some tactical prowess; just as we departed in order to collect a downed alien craft, they send another. But this one was a terror craft, or so I was told, and has already caused devastating damage to the town of Lagos. They will pay. Of that there is no doubt within me or my men.
I was finally able to welcome Blingie to the staff of sergeants earlier this month. About time they recognised her performance. I am almost equally glad I have not risen in rank so far. Partially because I need and want to stay on the front-line, and partially because I can spend a lot more time with her now. Oh joy. Right, off to kick alien ass.

-Higs, the Crusader

+++

X-Com Battle Report: Terror Mission 4

We tried to stop this over the desert, but couldn't. We had to stop it here. AceDiamond rolled out the UCV and saw the UCV rock as a stun bomb burst against it's side plating. He turned and spotted the shooter on camera.

Centering it in the remote's crosshair he loosed a rocket, the alien died, and the wall behind it disintegrated.

Turning to scan the area he spotted one of the chitinous horrors.

As Bling Cat II disembarked to shoot it, she spotted another hiding around the corner of the building.

That one presented the greatest threat, so she turned and terminated it.

Company chaplain Preacher Saul sweeping the western side of the craft spotted yet another.

He and Higurashi opened fire and it crumpled, though small signs of life and movement indicated it may not be dead yet.

Meanwhile on the east, ANTX81 v1.0, the first fully artificially intelligent X-Com combat robot and Vanilla Gorilla had finished the third of the horrors off.

Knowing that the stunned alien would not be safe to approach, Higurashi primed a grenade and threw it next to the fallen creature.

Whilst a fourth of the monstrous things approached from the east.

And was shot by Bling Cat II.

The LZ finally somewhat clear, AceDiamond moved the UCV towards the road. He spotted an alien outside a building on the opposite side.

Looney lined up and shot it from the skyranger ramp.

Whilst AceDiamond advanced further, spotting another alien hiding behind the small store next to the squad.

Which he terminated with a well placed rocket.

Cyberoth II, following the UCV's advance, spotted a fifth nightmare creature in an alley across the road.

He saturated the alleyway with plasma fire, and killed the alien, inhuman screams from the far end told us that he had hit another alien behind it as well.

Spotting movement to the southwest, Bling Cat II and Preacher Saul converged on the alley south of the warehouse. Bling Cat II spotted an alien moving towards the door to kill the civilians inside. She fired at the alien and scored several hits, but it didn't go down. It's return fire was similarly ineffective.

Preacher Saul rounded the corner and killed the godless creature.

Meanwhile, out on the road, Cyberoth II spotted two aliens advancing from the east.

ANTX81 v1.0 flanked the two aliens from the south, firing a stun bomb at them. Though not directly on target, one of the aliens went down stunned.

Vanilla Gorilla supported the flanking with fire on the second alien, but could not score a hit. Armitage Shanks however, held up his new responsibility as a sniper and shot the alien, which sagged, blacked out from the pain.

Shots flashed in front of the squad from the east, and Cyberoth II spotted another alien at the mouth of an alley at the end of the road. Armitage Shanks, once again, opened fire and the alien fell.

Meanwhile across the road from the squad a civilian leaving his house was gunned down by a hidden alien. Higurashi and Combined rushed to engage the shooter, but both were shaken by the aliens' brutality and could not score a hit.

The blast of Combined's rocket alerted the alien, however, and it turned and fired back, this time the power armour failed, and Combined was killed instantly as searing plasma annihilated her torso.

Armitage Shanks, able to fire through the devastation the rocket had left, turned and killed the final alien.

Report Ends

----

It is always hard to lose a comrade, especially one who has been with us since near the start of the X-Com project. The only thing I will say is that Combined died bravely and honourably, protecting the citizens of this planet from unwarranted aggression. She was an example to us all and will be missed.

Service in X-Com runs in the family, and Combined's brother, currently stationed at the South East Asia base will be joining us on the first personnel rotation from that facility to the main one.

----

OOC Note: I was expecting much worse here. The fact that most of the Chryssalids were near the skyranger and got killed by turn 2 was all that stopped this from being an utter bloodbath, with 16 civs on the level, it could have been zombie apocalypse time.

+++
Journal Entry 2, May 13, 1999
---

I can't stop shaking. The anger is consuming me. While we and the civilians were extremely lucky this mission, my aim was not, and neither was it anywhere near sufficient. To see Combined gunned down next to me... She was such a sweet woman... such a good soldier...
And I couldn't do squat! Fucking useless. I know, I need to stop wallowing in self-loathing, but this night calls for exactly that. Strength is not to never fall, but to get back up over and over again. I heard her brother is joining to avenge her. No doubt he'll be as furious, frustrated, distraught and, perhaps, sad as me. I might have to calm him down when I have done so myself. But for now, these tears will do as company.
Damn it, Combined...

-Higs, one who loves too much.

+++

Personal Log
May 13, 1999

My hands are still shaking. Even though I was thousands of miles away the fierceness of battle hit home like the plasma bolt that cut down Combined. I know there was nothing I could have done, and I know it could have been a lot worse, especially with those...things that we've been calling Chrysalids based on data deciphered from some of the captured UFO logs. The fact that they were almost all at the Skyranger when we touched down worries me, almost like they were there with a purpose, but what?

For now I sit here waiting for the Skyranger to come back so I can oversee the repairs on Mongoose-1 (as I've taken to calling the tank since it cut its teeth on the Snakemen we've been fighting recently), and then I think I'm going to need a stiff drink. Combined was with us almost as long as I and the rest of the original soldiers to the program, but this time there is no Lazarus to bring her back. She died with courage and honor, something I only wish I could feel right now.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked