The Escapist Crossword #1

Pages PREV 1 2

eh crud

i couldn't get even 50% of that

The Paracelsus/Randy Savage corner had me stuck for ages. Hooray Wikipedia!

Is this going to be a daily thing? I do love a good crossword.

Indeed, hurray for Wikipedia. And hurray for Thesaurus.com as well. Would have taken a while for me to get 8 down without it.

I liked it. The idea is great and fun, but it wasn't very good. Too many two-letter words used, American spelling of words (it boggled me with the Ax thing). But I enjoyed it.

PurpleRain:
I liked it. The idea is great and fun, but it wasn't very good. Too many two-letter words used, American spelling of words (it boggled me with the Ax thing). But I enjoyed it.

It threw me too, and I'm American.
Ax and Axe are interchangeable as a pair of identical twins.
One more chalk mark for the complexity of the American English language.

Groan on 10.

When I would click a spot to enter a word, the direction it would fill in letters was sometimes kinda funky. Thanks though, keep making them and I'll keep doing them!

ninjablu:

PurpleRain:

It threw me too, and I'm American.
Ax and Axe are interchangeable as a pair of identical twins.
One more chalk mark for the complexity of the American English language.

It's made worse since another answer has "axe" in it.

it would be good if it wasn't such a mess, like 20 of the answers are 2 or 3 letters, whoever made this obviously doesnt do crosswords very often.

Good idea, just make it less messy next time

Nice. Very sweet.

Very good idea. A little "hint" system, or the actual solution wouldn't hurt. We might as well learn something while we are at it.

Very sweet though. Good going.

TheBlueRabbit:
When you finish the puzzle, if everything's right, you'll get a popup telling you.

I'm pretty sure the pop-up is indiscriminate.
Unless the words mirph, norph and girph somehow exist.

Still pretty cool.

type
typo
taps
tape
tips
tops
tups
I still don't get 10 Across.

It was cool... I would have liked it to be more gaming-oriented and perhaps less American-centered but I guess that's being a bit too picky. Nice work, can't wait for the next one. :D

Fun, Fun!
I finished it rather quickly though, do you mind possibly ramping up the difficulty?

There have been some complaints about American spelling (sorry, but we're American) and the fact that the puzzle doesn't tell you if you're right or wrong (we're working on that), so rather than make you wait a week for the solution, here it is:

You can also always give each other hints if you're particularly stuck. :)

I did about 90% of the puzzle. The only one that was making me mad was 10 accross.

ThePoodonkis:
I don't know why, but when I click on the link my Internet window stops responding.
Is anyone else having this problem? Or, does anyone know how to fix it?

Yeah, I'm getting the same thing.

I enjoyed your crossword thoroughly, but I have to comment like everyone else that even though I solved 10 across, it made absolutely no sense. The clue was not really that related to the answer, in my opinion.

Wait, what? The Escapist is American?

Good gosh, here I was thinking all this time it was run by Aussies!

Very fun, wouldn't mind seeing badges given out for one later.

Woo, completed! Took me long enough.

Heh, it's been a looong time since I saw a crossword that wasn't cryptic. Americans are strange! ;-)

Damn, either I'm stupid or this is kinda hard :S I guess I will have something to do tonight xD

well i really like this, im in the middle of it, but can you please please give us the ability to save, or something similar. i dont have the time to do it in one sitting, and crosswords are an enjoyable way to take a minute or two throughout the day and finish it. also badges would be cool. also this will only work i think if it is at least as frequent as the issues. but applause anyway *claps* this is a great idea!

Susan Arendt:
There have been some complaints about American spelling (sorry, but we're American) and the fact that the puzzle doesn't tell you if you're right or wrong (we're working on that), so rather than make you wait a week for the solution, here it is:

You can also always give each other hints if you're particularly stuck. :)

Okay.... then not to burst any bubbles here... but when I look at your answers I notice that some of mine were definitely wrong, but I was informed I had completed it anyway.
Any reason why that might be?

A great idea guys.
Why the hell is the first Harry Potter called something different in the States? That threw me for a while, as well as 10 across, but you guys already know that.

The American publishers of Harry Potter didn't think us dumb Yank's would know what a Philosopher's Stone was, thus the title change.

As for the other issue, at this time, the puzzle only indicates that you've filled in every block, whether you've done it correctly or not. Definitely not optimal - we're working to resolve that if we can.

It feels a bit cluttered, I don't enjoy a crossword with lots of small, 2 or 3 letter answers. So less words, but harder ones! But I do love a crossword so thanks!

This is fun, even though I'm not great at crosswords.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked