Choose Your Own Adventure

 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT
 

You woke up in the middle of the night and grabbed a flashlight.

In a stupor you stumbled out of your house and began walking barefoot across the street. Your feet steered you down paths you'd never before taken and soon you found yourself at the base of a hill. At the top of the hill there was a rickety old house, water damaged and boarded up. You barely took a moment to look at it, even though you'd never seen it before. You walked towards it-no, that's not quite right-you were pulled towards it, the wet dew of the grass brushing against your bare feet. You came to to the door of the house and put your hand on the doorknob. And then you passed out.

You awake into darkness. You can't see a single thing. Your head is laying against something metallic.
Drip.
A drip of some liquid just fell onto your forehead. Every few seconds, another drop falls and splashes directly between your eyebrows. You can't see a single thing, but it feels like it's been dripping onto you for quite a while.


You groan and assess yourself. You seem healthy.
Health: 10/10
And despite the memory of your crazed stupor, you seem back in control of yourself for now.
Sanity: 10/10
Upon feeling your pocket, you are relieved to see that you still have your flashlight.
Inventory: Flashlight

The only thing left to decide is... what do you want to do?

This story will be shaped by decisions, and these decisions are yours to make. Think of the Choose Your Own Adventure books, only instead of 2 set choices there are infinitely many number of possibilities decided on your input. The world around you is already planned out, and not every decision has the same chance of success as the other. Every suggestion posted after each post will be followed in order, no matter how terrible it turns out to be. Anything can be suggested, no matter how ludicrous, and your character will try their best to complete perform it. Your decisions should start with a verb; for example, "Explore," "Eat," "Attack," and remember to assess your situation before you make your choice.

For this first choice, consider your environment. You are in a room of thick darkness, laying flat on your back. Something is dripping from somewhere onto your head. You are fully healthy (when your health reaches 0, you'll die) and fully sane (as your sanity decreases, reality itself will rip away from you). You have a flashlight in your pocket and are perfectly capable of getting up and walking around in the darkness. What would you like to do?

Shine flashlight up at the source of the water, and the rest of the room.

You grab a hold of the flashlight in your pocket and pull it out. Your thumb finds the switch immediately and you hear a clicking sound. A beam of light shoots out of your light and you wave it around the room. The only feature on the north side of the room is an averagely-sized wooden door that's been shut. Not a single beam of light comes from outside the door. You reason that this means either there's no light on the other side of the door, or the door is so tight it lets no light in.
Drip. There it is again, water dripping from what must be the ceiling. You shine your flashlight upwards, towards the source of the water. There's a crack in the ceiling, as if an enormous amount of pressure is built up above it. Every few seconds a drop falls from the ceiling and into a puddle of...
Of...
That's not water. You rub your forehead in a panic and shine your flashlight at your fingers. They are smeared with blood. You point your flashlight at the pool that was accumulating at your head, and see that the dripping from above has accumulated into a pool of dark red blood. You gulp involuntarily, and can't help but wonder how long you'd been like that. The rest of the room is relatively bland; only enormous cobwebs line the corners of the room. In the darkness, and from your current position, that's about all you can make out.


Health: 10/10
Sanity: 10/10
Inventory: Flashlight (On, Full Battery)

Stand up and walk to the door.

Check the door for any particular markings, such as a lock, furnishings, inscriptions etc.

Think about love one as a means of motivation...

Spin on my back, popping and locking.

Eat the torch.

the silence:
Stand up and walk to the door.

You get to your feet and head to the door. You try the handle and note that it is unlocked. You could open it at any time.

bluerocker:
Check the door for any particular markings, such as a lock, furnishings, inscriptions etc.

You shine your flashlight at the door and examine it a little more closely. The door is made of an old oak, and has clearly seen better days. The handle is a simple brass knob. Other than thick grooves running up and down the door and the faint smell of rotting wood, you can see no inscriptions of any sort on the door.

FPLOON:
Think about love one as a means of motivation...

But who cares about inscriptions anyway? What's the purpose of trying to live just for the sake of living? You come to the conclusion that without love, love for your family, for your friends, for those you feel closest to in your life, there is no point in living. You smile to yourself, knowing that no matter what, you will always have people that love you in your life.

Barbas:
Spin on my back, popping and locking.

Then, overcome with this feeling of belonging and love, you fall to the ground and start to spin on your back, popping and locking as you do so. You are surprisingly good at it. You impress even yourself as you gyrate your body in a way that would put most others to shame. You make a mental note to go to a club after you get out of here and break out those wicked sick dance moves.

Auron225:
Eat the torch.

You take out the flashlight and shove it into your mouth. You shove it in with enough force to break a tooth which, luckily, you don't. After you gag horribly and withdraw the flashlight from your mouth, you figure you'll do the next best thing and eat the batteries. You take the batteries out of your flashlight and slide one down your throat. It gets about halfway down before you vomit violently onto the ground. You make note to not pop and lock on this particular floor again, due to the blood and vomit.
You take the battery from the vomit. It's still intact. You put it back into the flashlight, but for some reason the flashlight is no longer as bright as it once was. You also feel slightly sick.


Health: 9/10
Sanity: 10/10
Inventory: Flashlight (On, Half Battery)

Let's get out of here! Open the door carefully, hiding behind the doorway as you do so.

Think about how stupid you are, open the door and look into what's beyond.

...

Hold the flashlight ready as a weapon.

personion:

Auron225:
Eat the torch.

You take out the flashlight and shove it into your mouth. You shove it in with enough force to break a tooth which, luckily, you don't. After you gag horribly and withdraw the flashlight from your mouth, you figure you'll do the next best thing and eat the batteries. You take the batteries out of your flashlight and slide one down your throat. It gets about halfway down before you vomit violently onto the ground. You make note to not pop and lock on this particular floor again, due to the blood and vomit.
You take the battery from the vomit. It's still intact. You put it back into the flashlight, but for some reason the flashlight is no longer as bright as it once was. You also feel slightly sick.


Health: 9/10
Sanity: 10/10
Inventory: Flashlight (On, Half Battery)

...Wow 0.0 I was curious to see how you'd handle something so daft. Not sure what to think of our protagonist anymore but I'm doubting his 10/10 sanity :D Well done, I'll suggest serious stuff now. I'm curious to see where this goes and I'd rather he/she not do something so stupid as to end the adventure early.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel the walls of the room for moisture before leaving.

Take a moment to praise Demeter.

Open the door with such force that it slams against the wall and then enter the mysterious room with a grand old yelling of "HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY, WHAT DAH FUCK IS HAPPENING?!!!"

Auron225:

Feel the walls of the room for moisture before leaving.

You run your hand along the wall. It is slightly damp, though you're not sure if it's with water or something else. You sniff the liquid on the walls. It smells like the inside of a compost bin. Yeuch.

Barbas:
Take a moment to praise Demeter.

Speaking of compost, you realize it's been quite a while since you've praised Demeter. Ah, yes, Demeter, Greek god of harvest and fertility. Where would your crops be without her? I mean, you don't actually have crops, but you appreciate her in the sense that if you had crops she'd really be doing you a solid.

the silence:
Think about how stupid you are. Hold the flashlight ready as a weapon.

Demeter, however, is unrelated to your intelligence. You look unhappily at the cost of your stupidity on the ground and shake your head. You resolve to improve in efficiency and escape this place. You grab the flashlight in your hands, readying it as a weapon.

bluerocker:
Let's get out of here! Open the door carefully, hiding behind the doorway as you do so.

You creep up to the door and slowly turn the handle. As soon as you open the door, dim light rushes in from the other room. You take a look into the other room, making sure you are as quiet as possible as you do so.
On the west end of the room, there is a man. He's middle-aged, dressed in rags, and holding a butcher's knife in his right hand. He is swinging the knife wildly in fear, screaming and yelling in a fit of pure terror. On the east end of the room, there is an enormous purple tentacle coming out of a hole in the eastern wall. The tentacle is trying to grab the man, but it is just out of reach of him, cowering in the corner of the room. Neither the tentacle nor the man has noticed you.

Morsomk:
...with a grand old yelling of "HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY, WHAT DAH FUCK IS HAPPENING?!!!"

Until you yell that.
The man's eyes dart towards you. The tip of the tentacle turns and points towards you. As soon as it does, the man takes advantage of the tentacle's distraction. He leaps towards the tentacle and stabs at it with the knife. The tentacle writhes in pain, purple blood oozing out of it, before retaliating by smashing the man back into a wall. The tentacle tries to get the man with renewed purpose, but is still just out of reach.

There is a path leading east, past the middle aged man; a path leading west, into the room with presumable the source of the tentacle; and a path leading south, back into the room you came from.


Health: 9/10
Sanity: 10/10
Inventory: Flashlight (On, Half Battery)

Attempting to dodge the tentacles, grab the knife and valiantly stab the tentacles!

Greet the man courteously while fighting.

Ask the old man if he has any bananas for the daily worship of le grande papa emperado mono.

bluerocker:
Attempting to dodge the tentacles, grab the knife and valiantly stab the tentacles!

You enter the room, ready to dodge the tentacle's attack. However, the tentacle is unconcerned with you. Its attention is firmly on the man. The man, who is still holding the knife, sees you coming towards him for his knife. As you do, he looks at you with fearful, bloodshot eyes. You go to grab the knife from him but as you do he jerks away from you and hisses.

the silence:
Greet the man courteously while fighting.

You attempt to courteously greet the man. "G--get away!" he screams, "all of you things! Get away!" He flails his knife around wildly and you take a step back in fear of him hitting you.

Morsomk:
Ask the old man if he has any bananas for the daily worship of le grande papa emperado mono.

You ask him if he has any bananas for the daily worship of "le grande papa emperado mono." You always thought you were more of worshiper of Demeter deep down in your heart, but that guy's cool too, you guess. "Get your babblings away!" cries the man, "your language is alien! You cut out a man's tongue with your words!" Geeze, this man clearly does not worship the right things if he has such an adverse response to emperado mono.

You are on the west end of the room, which is past the tentacle's reach. It only moves towards you when you come close enough to it for it to try to grab you. The man seems to afraid to move, but fearfully swings his knife at you every time you move towards him.

There is a path leading east, past the middle aged man; a path leading west, into the room with presumable the source of the tentacle; and a path leading south, back into the room you came from.


Health: 9/10
Sanity: 10/10
Inventory: Flashlight (On, Half Battery)

Dodge past the old man and the tentacles! Go East!

Roll your charisma and try to calm the man. Or seduce him, if that does not work.

Run like the roadrunner to the eastern exit AND DRAG THE OLD MAN WITH YE!

the silence:
Roll your charisma and try to calm the man.

You wrestle with abstract concepts like "rolling charisma" in your head before you give up and yell, "it's okay! I want to help you! Give me your knife!" The man simply recoils in disgust.

the silence:
Or seduce him, if that does not work.

You bat your eyes seductively. "Not that knife, I mean." You wink at him suggestively. The man simply recoils in disgust.

bluerocker:
Dodge past the old man and the tentacles! Go East!

Morsomk:
Run like the roadrunner to the eastern exit AND DRAG THE OLD MAN WITH YE!

You're about to run out of the room, but you look back at the old man and figure you should drag him with you. You dodge underneath the tentacle, grab the man by the hand, and start to run out of the room with him in tow. He screeches and you see him slice the knife towards you. You recoil just in time for the blade to miss your chest and instead scrap against your arm. Flesh is pierced from the top of your wrist down to your forearm, but it's only a flesh wound. You release the man and run off without him.

You enter a new room. In this room, there is a robed figure sitting in the center of a symbol drawn in the ground with blood. The symbol resembles a circle with a triangle inside of it. The man's eyes are closed, and his legs are crossed in a meditative position. His ears have been cut off, and where ear holes might be there is instead nothing. There is a black book open right in front of him. The book has strange, alien symbols that sear into your eyes when you look at them.

There is a path leading north past the man, and a path leading west back to the tentacle room.


Health: 8/10
Sanity: 10/10
Inventory: Flashlight (On, Half Battery)

Walk in front of the figure, look him in the face, point the flashlight at his face and endlessly turn the flashlight on and off until you see a reaction from him.

Read the content of the book out loud.

I second the flashlight idea. Second, ask him if he's alright.

Poke where his ears should be.

Morsomk:
Walk in front of the figure, look him in the face, point the flashlight at his face and endlessly turn the flashlight on and off until you see a reaction from him.

bluerocker:
I second the flashlight idea. Second, ask him if he's alright.

the silence:
Poke where his ears should be.

First, you point the flashlight at his face, turning it off and on until you evoke a reaction. He doesn't respond. Then, you lean down and ask him if he's alright. He doesn't react. Lastly, you poke where his ears should be. Slowly, ever so slowly, his head turns towards you. His eyes open and you see that his eyes have been gouged out. Next, his mouth opens and you notice he has no tongue. Out of the back of his throat, a thin purple tentacle starts to crawl out of his mouth towards you.

CrystalShadow:
Read the content of the book out loud.

Your eyes dart quickly to the book and you blurt out the symbols and words. As you do, time slows down around you. The tentacle freezes midway towards you. You hear a voice in your left ear saying "FIRE. BURN. DESTROY." You hear a voice in your right ear saying "RESTORE. REJUVENATE. LIFE." You look at your left hand and have a hallucination that it is glowing bright red. You look at your right hand and have a hallucination that it is glowing bright white. You hear a voice yell in both of your ears:
"CHOOSE!"


Health: 8/10
Sanity: 7/10
Inventory: Flashlight (On, Half Battery)

Choose life!

Choose restore, because anyone else would choose destroy. And assume it is a trap. Which you don't.

bluerocker:
Choose life!

the silence:
Choose restore, because anyone else would choose destroy. And assume it is a trap. Which you don't.

"Life!" you yell. The red flame from your left hand fades, and a bright white light appears on your right hand. You've gained an ability that you can use twice during this game. You can heal a target. This will restore some (you don't know the exact amount) of its health and sanity. You can use this on yourself, or on other people.

Time resumes. The tentacle creeps out of the mouth towards you, inching ever closer. The man remains seated in his cross-legged position.

There is a path leading north past the man, and a path leading west back to the tentacle room.


Health: 8/10
Sanity: 7/10
Inventory: Flashlight (On, Half Battery)
Abilities: Life x 2

Spin kick that tentacle out of the way, and dash NORTH towards the door behind the man.

You land a blow on the tentacle, which luckily sends it snapping into the air as you rush past it towards the north door.
You emerge into a room covered in a pink mass, a disgusting, rubbery flesh. Pig snouts and pig eyes are in the flesh, as if a thousand of stitched together pig faces are staring at you. They snort and squeal horrifically. It is a sound that tears right into your soul, and attacks your already weakened sanity. You feel like you shouldn't stay in this room for very long if it can be helped.
There is a path leading east into a room you can see a wooden chest and a bed in. There is a path leading south back into the man with the tentacle in his throat. There is a path leading north into a room where you can hear skittering and see cobwebs.
You hear the slithering of a tentacle coming from the south.


Health: 8/10
Sanity: 7/10
Inventory: Flashlight (On, Half Battery)
Abilities: Life x 2

Run east, spin kicking pig snouts on the way.

You're not incredibly proficient in this spin kicking thing, but you do your best to hit as man pig snouts as you can while running east. The flesh comes off easily and messily, and you reduce several snouts to nothing more than pink goo by the time you reach the next room. Before you look around the room, you see that some of the pig flesh has landed on your leg after your various spin kicks and is starting to grow across it. You rip it off quickly and fling it aside. This room is a dead end. It is what appears to be a bedroom. There is a bed that seems in relatively good shape. Next to it, there's a wooden chest. Inside the chest, you find a vial of green liquid and a scroll written in the same language as the book. This scroll is written in blue ink. You can take them if you wish. A quick search of this room reveals nothing else of interest.
You see the robed man enter the room to your west. He doesn't yet notice you. He walks to the centre of the pig flesh room. The tentacle flicks left and right, trying to find you.

Health: 8/10
Sanity: 7/10
Inventory: Flashlight (On, Half Battery)
Abilities: Life x 2

 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked