It's okay to white, identity politics and white supermacy

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

I might have the wrong info on it, but apperantly 4chan started a very hilarious kind of trolling, promoting putting signs with the most inoffensive sentence possible "It's Okay to Be White". The idea is that the current political climate even that sort of inoffensiveness is akin to white supermacy. And it worked:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/signs-saying-its-okay-to-be-white-found-at-maryland-high-school/2017/11/01/92013a26-bf3b-11e7-959c-fe2b598d8c00_story.html?utm_term=.3c18eb786ac5

Fliers saying ?it?s okay to be white? were found taped to the exterior doors of a Maryland high school Wednesday morning, apparently as part of an effort to spark racial division.

Now, I can put a thread with "look at those fucking idiots", but thinking about it this reminds me of a thing I read in a newspaper article couple of weeks ago. The article wrote something that I never thought of, that (edit: modern day resurgence of) white supermacy is a direct result of identity politics. After all, if you continuately propogate the idea that an ethnic/sexual/gender/racial group should think X because it is beneficial to them why shouldn't white people also apply that as well? Especially the more extreme political sides don't need to explain themselves more than "you belong in the "white" group so you should vote as we want".

Which brings me about to the current case. It seems to me that current media and culture are creating their worst fear, the white nationalists political faction. After all, cases like this where news media and the police literally finds fault with the idea that being white isn't something to be ashamed of will be used to radicalize more people.

Do you think that there is something in the idea of political climate radicalizing people?

inu-kun:
a thing I read in a newspaper article couple of weeks ago. The article wrote something that I never thought of, that white supermacy is a direct result of identity politics.

White supremacy has existed before the modern iteration of identity politics, for the most obvious example, the Nazis, the movement that birthed The 14 Words; "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children." and may as well be the movement that also birthed white supremacy. Hell, white supremacy is part of identity politics because it's entirely based around the "white" identity! No, this is just an attempt at slinging mud on those damnable progressives for daring to challenge the status quo because the status quo still has flaws that need to be ironed out. 4chan just wants to sling shit and laugh at the people getting angry about their shit slinging.

In a vacuum there'd be nothing wrong with the statement "It's okay to be white". But look at it this way: There's nothing wrong with the statement "I like cars" but if you hang a sign with the text "I like cars" in front of a grieving widows house whose husband was ran over by a car recently it's an act of provocation.

And those signs are an act of provocation. They were meant to be one. Their point was never to express happiness over how lovely it is to be caucasian. It was a reaction to white hegemony being challenged. The implicit statement was "There's no reason to question what it means to be part of the most privileged ethnic group in a multiethnic society, it's okay to be white." But they knew it's what they meant, they knew who ever read it knew what they meant and they knew that if anyone called them out on it they could play victim and claim unfair treatment for being called out on making a statement that, out of context, seems perfectly innocent.

Dr. Thrax:

White supremacy has existed before the modern iteration of identity politics, for the most obvious example, the Nazis, the movement that birthed The 14 Words; "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children." and may as well be the movement that also birthed white supremacy. Hell, white supremacy is part of identity politics because it's entirely based around the "white" identity! No, this is just an attempt at slinging mud on those damnable progressives for daring to challenge the status quo because the status quo still has flaws that need to be ironed out. 4chan just wants to sling shit and laugh at the people getting angry about their shit slinging.

Shit, I meant modern day resurgence of white supermacy, I'll fix it.

PsychedelicDiamond:
In a vacuum there'd be nothing wrong with the statement "It's okay to be white". But look at it this way: There's nothing wrong with the statement "I like cars" but if you hang a sign with the text "I like cars" in front of a grieving widows house whose husband was ran over by a car recently it's an act of provocation.

And those signs are an act of provocation. They were meant to be one. Their point was never to express happiness over how lovely it is to be caucasian. It was a reaction to white hegemony being challenged. The implicit statement was "There's no reason to question what it means to be part of the most privileged ethnic group in a multiethnic society, it's okay to be white." But they knew it's what they meant, they knew who ever read it knew what they meant and they knew that if anyone called them out on it they could play victim and claim unfair treatment for being called out on making a statement that, out of context, seems perfectly innocent.

But you can't enforce a context for something that was literally put in the street without one. That's the whole point of the prank, imagine if you said "have a good day" and were attacked for "obviously" meaning to say "have a bad day" because you can't possibly mean that, there must be some alterior motive. What the media should have done is just refuse to play the game and ignored the sentence because in the end it says nothing that is offensive or divisive.

Plus, technically at least wage wise, Asians are the most privilaged ethnic group.

"It's ok to be white" rides in the idea that whiteness is under attack. Speaking as a painfully white dude, I can only see that as being part of a victim complex. And with the climate of Nazis coming out of the wood work...how did you think people would react to this? Because it really does carry the implication that whiteness is under attacks. Mainly from minotities.

inu-kun:
The idea is that the current political climate even that sort of inoffensiveness is akin to white supermacy.

That's disingenuous bullshit and you know it. I know it. The people behind this know it.

It's like how "All lives matter" is a perfectly nice and agreeable thing to say... unless you only feel the need to say it in response to someone else saying that black lives matter.

inu-kun:
But you can't enforce a context for something that was literally put in the street without one.

Bullshit.

They were entirely aware of the context and you know that too. They wouldn't have done it otherwise.

Do you really think for a single second that they decided to do this without knowledge of the context in which it was being done? That they put up the posters in an innocent attempt to say something nice to white people and just so happened to "trigger them snowflakes"?

The article wrote something that I never thought of, that (edit: modern day resurgence of) white supermacy is a direct result of identity politics.

People on the left do something stupid and/or nasty. The left gets blamed. Fair enough.

People on the right do something stupid and/or nasty. The left gets blamed for that too. Hmm.

We all know that the phrase "it's okay to be white" implies that that sentiment is under threat, and needs protecting.

That implication is utter bollocks.

inu-kun:

Dr. Thrax:

Shit, I meant modern day resurgence of white supermacy, I'll fix it.

PsychedelicDiamond:

But you can't enforce a context for something that was literally put in the street without one. That's the whole point of the prank, imagine if you said "have a good day" and were attacked for "obviously" meaning to say "have a bad day" because you can't possibly mean that, there must be some alterior motive. What the media should have done is just refuse to play the game and ignored the sentence because in the end it says nothing that is offensive or divisive.

Plus, technically at least wage wise, Asians are the most privilaged ethnic group.

You really should read your source links thoroughly before speaking. Straight from your own link.

At the University of Alberta in Canada, one of the posters appeared Tuesday outside the school's Native Studies department, according to a media report. That came a day after a racist jack-o'-lantern was left outside the same academic office.

Please understand that there is some pretty bad blood around there between Native and non-natives and for very good reason.

In isolation from context, the statement is innocuous. But the context here is that some fuckwit, possibly the same one who left the racist item next to that office the day before left a memo that it's just fine to be white after a white person was being a racist fuck. And it's Alberta, so the perp being white is a very reasonable assumption.

I was actually giving up hope that ther ewas any discussion value to be had from that link aside from "aha, more SJW twat-mouthery" until i hit that snippet. As it is, it's barely worth the effort as that napkin sized article is worth little more than the tissue it was jotted out on.

It's not a particularly clever trap, but apparently there are plenty of people willing to take that bait. How could you not predict that the first thing that will happen if you take offense at this is that you will be accused of thinking that it's not okay to be white? In the wake of the whole Black Lives Matter vs ALL Lives Matter nonsense you don't even have the obvious out of suggesting the phrase "It's okay to be white" somehow implies being anything but white is not okay.

It should be obvious that these posters were not designed to promote a white identity, but to provoke a reaction from the Social Justice types to create/reveal more evidence of anti-white bigotry. The posters have been moderately successful in that regard

Silent Protagonist:

It should be obvious that these posters were not designed to promote a white identity, but to provoke a reaction from the Social Justice types to create/reveal more evidence of anti-white bigotry. The posters have been moderately successful in that regard

A right-wing poster here counts as a social justice type?

Silvanus:
We all know that the phrase "it's okay to be white" implies that that sentiment is under threat, and needs protecting.

That implication is utter bollocks.

The past 5 years of far left (and more and more, moderate left) politics in the English speaking world stands in defiance to this idea. The fact that the bait was so easily lapped up (with some who did so openly stating that it was bait, that they knew it was bait, and still took a nice big bite out of it) would alone be more then enough evidence to prove this beyond a reasonable doubt, and that's before we dive into the openly anti-white politics of left wing political parties such as the Democrats, Labour, and to a lesser but arguably more devastating extent the Liberal party.

The idea that " the phrase "it's okay to be white" implies that that sentiment is under threat" doesn't stem from a void or ignorance, it stems from functioning eyes and an inability of the mind to function under cognitive dissonance. It's why progressivism is dying fast amongst whites and why those who it's not doing so with are becoming more violent and more agitated.

Whiteness was invented as a way to justify colonial exploitation, slavery, genocide, and so on. Whiteness is not European culture, it's not an attitude of solidarity in response to oppression, it's simply a way to keep the lower classes divided and focused on each other rather than the people at the top laughing all the way to the bank. What is there actually worth redeeming in whiteness? Discard it, if that is possible.

I think the alt-right oughta stop saying and doing things that they insist are serious only to later turn around and say "Haha, it was a trap! I was being ironically racist!" once it gets picked up by some media outlet or another.

What does it prove? That you can tell a reporter that you think something and the reporter will then report that you think something? It's like these jackasses on 4chan going, "let's convince the news that the OK sign is a racist symbol, by using it as a racist symbol and then telling people it's a racist symbol," and then it gets reported that guys are using the OK sign as a racist symbol, and they're like "haha, fooled you." Did you fool anyone? Did you really?

My opinion of the whole act is that it's a very poor-quality form of trolling. Good trolls are funny. They don't just pretend to be racist to convince other people that they're racist and then turn around and go "no, I was just pretending to be racist, this is somehow intended to humiliate you and not me for reasons that cannot be clearly explained."

It's like you walk out into the street with a bucket full of shit and start shoveling handfuls of shit in your mouth, and people on the sidewalk are like "what the hell are you doing, dude," and you're like "I JUST LOVE EATING SHIT MAN" and then the Washington Post runs a story on the guy out on the street who loves eating shit and as soon as you see the headline you drop the bucket, throw your shit-stained hands in the air, and go "haha! I tricked the mainstream media again! I don't actually love eating shit! That was a lie, to show how gullible you are! You fools thought I loved eating shit just because I both did and said that, on the record!"

But only one side in this exchange ends up looking racist like they eat shit. And it ain't WaPo.

jademunky:

Silent Protagonist:

A right-wing poster here counts as a social justice type?

What? Do you mean the OP? If so then I would say they are reacting to the reaction. It's just Trevor's axiom. Abbreviated: A does something to B to provoke an overreaction from C, whose overreaction provokes a counter reaction from D and so on. In this case the 4chan trolls are A, the places the posters were put up are B, the social justice types I alluded to would be C, the OP would be D, and all the rest of us in this thread would be the and so on.

bastardofmelbourne:
I think the alt-right oughta stop saying and doing things that they insist are serious only to later turn around and say "Haha, it was a trap! I was being ironically racist!" once it gets picked up by some media outlet or another.

What does it prove? That you can tell a reporter that you think something and the reporter will then report that you think something? It's like these jackasses on 4chan going, "let's convince the news that the OK sign is a racist symbol, by using it as a racist symbol and then telling people it's a racist symbol," and then it gets reported that guys are using the OK sign as a racist symbol, and they're like "haha, fooled you." Did you fool anyone? Did you really?

My opinion of the whole act is that it's a very poor-quality form of trolling. Good trolls are funny. They don't just pretend to be racist to convince other people that they're racist and then turn around and go "no, I was just pretending to be racist, this is somehow intended to humiliate you and not me for reasons that cannot be clearly explained."

It's like you walk out into the street with a bucket full of shit and start shoveling handfuls of shit in your mouth, and people on the sidewalk are like "what the hell are you doing, dude," and you're like "I JUST LOVE EATING SHIT MAN" and then the Washington Post runs a story on the guy out on the street who loves eating shit and as soon as you see the headline you drop the bucket, throw your shit-stained hands in the air, and go "haha! I tricked the mainstream media again! I don't actually love eating shit! That was a lie, to show how gullible you are! You fools thought I loved eating shit just because I both did and said that, on the record!"

But only one side in this exchange ends up looking racist like they eat shit. And it ain't WaPo.

That's just the thing though. They don't have to be racist(ironically or otherwise) to provoke a reaction anymore. The phrase "It's okay to be white" is not racist or supremacist. However, the trolls (correctly) predicted that some people would react to it as if it were a racist or supremacist statement(which again, it isn't). The goal of the trolls(beside the "lulz" if you want a blast from the past) is to discredit the people who would react in such a way. Whether this is to ultimately reveal an underlying problem in society or to weaken its defenses is largely down to the political leanings of the individual interpreting those actions.

Dog whistle racism as far as I'm concerned. It's not just ok to be white, it's always been advantageous to be white in the US. Silvanus nailed it that the underlying implication is that whiteness is under attack, and this seemingly milquetoast poster is just reassuring people that it's ok to be themselves. It does nothing but feed a victim complex to the most privileged people here. What I find hilarious though is that the same people that will nod and say 'Yea, it is ok to be white!' will turn around and get frothy at the mouth as soon as you make a statement like 'Black Lives Matter'.

Jux:
It does nothing but feed a victim complex to the most privileged people here

So long as the far left pretends that the long debunked privilege hypothesis holds any weight in the real world despite being somewhere between climate change denial and flat earth in terms of how at odds it is with reality, the notion that "whiteness" is under attack will be alive and well no matter how much victim blaming the liberal bouguenais doing the attacking like to pretend that reality ends
at their ivory tower and that the other 95% of us are effectively a figment of their imagination.

It's actually hilarious how everywhere, from the media to social media to here, people will in the same post pretend the irl shitpost had no point while simultaneously going out of their way to prove it right. The dissonance is incredible to see.

Jux:
Dog whistle racism as far as I'm concerned. It's not just ok to be white, it's always been advantageous to be white in the US. Silvanus nailed it that the underlying implication is that whiteness is under attack, and this seemingly milquetoast poster is just reassuring people that it's ok to be themselves. It does nothing but feed a victim complex to the most privileged people here. What I find hilarious though is that the same people that will nod and say 'Yea, it is ok to be white!' will turn around and get frothy at the mouth as soon as you make a statement like 'Black Lives Matter'.

Nah, fam. You can say both. It's entirely OK to be white. And black lives do matter.

bastardofmelbourne:

But only one side in this exchange ends up looking racist like they eat shit

Yeah, it's the side that claims to be fighting racism by being the single most racist movement in the US that isn't a fringe group.

I wonder how long it'll be before moderates are turned extremists by the "all whites must hate themselves, all whites untermech, all whites die out, white slavery now" types. Though it is ironic these insane types managed to get into academia despite subpar intellect and that most are white despite being openly racist against whites. I guess self hate is easier to teach then I thought.

ITT: people react exactly how they wanted you to.

Well done guys.

bastardofmelbourne:

Yeah, it's the side that claims to be fighting racism by being the single most racist movement in the US that isn't a fringe group.

I wonder how long it'll be before moderates are turned extremists by the "all whites must hate themselves, all whites untermech, all whites die out, white slavery now" types. Though it is ironic these insane types managed to get into academia despite subpar intellect and that most are white despite being openly racist against whites. I guess self hate is easier to teach then I thought.

CM156:

Jux:

Nah, fam. You can say both. It's entirely OK to be white. And black lives do matter.

Wait are you saying that... all lives matter?

Zontar:

bastardofmelbourne:

CM156:

Jux:

Wait are you saying that... all lives matter?

Yes, black lives matter. And white lives as well. There might be contexts when I'd say hispanic and Jewish lives matter.
I won't tell anyone that they can't have a racial identity.

bastardofmelbourne:

WaPo eats shit for other reasons.

...the fuck is "white"?

That's the part I don't get.

Well, that and "I'll pretend to be racist, but I'm not really, and people are fools if they treat me based on how I behave". What brain-genius thought that was a good plan.

altnameJag:
...the fuck is "white"?

For the far left it's a vague term that can be used to describe everything they hate while everything that isn't a part of it is to be loved no matter how incompatible it may be with other things that are supposed to be loved, glued together by anti-historic revisionism that pretends that there has been a fluidity to the term by evoking 200 year old propaganda that only works if you rely on the exact opposite being true and doesn't work if they're being honest.

For everyone else, it's Europeans. Also sometimes East Asians if they're not accepting far left values and the left needs another group to hate on for the next 5 minutes.

Haven't we already had roughly 7 millenia of it being "Mighty fine to be Caucasian"? You scored some good, fertile lands in Europe and the Orient. Been living off it for roughly 6 and a bit millenia, then started taking other people's stuff and living off that...

I'm not seeing a downside except being all those times when Caucasians had a problem with other Caucasians.

Even then half the time these big fuck-you sized problems typically had to involve us, as well. Thanks for that.

"Implications"

"Context"

If anyone actually understood what these words mean, they'd immediately realize this was a harmless act.

Zontar:

altnameJag:
...the fuck is "white"?

For everyone else, it's Europeans.

So, Irish, German, , French, Spanish, Bulgarian, Portuguese, Slavs, Romani, Finns, Welsh, Anglo-Saxons, and Moors are all white? 'Cause, well, your definition only works if you exclude people who've been living in Europe for centuries.

...honestly, not seeing it. Hell, I'm fairly certain I've got basically nothing in common with your average Anglo-Saxon Protestant given I'm a Catholic Serbian mutt whose family moved generationally west over the years.

Or at least, those fuckers had a plenty good time describing how folks like mine were going to subvert western values and destroy America. Because, you know, Eastern Europeans weren't actually white. Until the next batch of immigrants moved in and my folks were able to blend, anyway. Really got to thank both the empty spaces of Minnesota/Wisconsin and the Irish for that one.

So again, as a race, what the fuck is white?

altnameJag:
So again, as a race, what the fuck is white?

Those who benefit from the social status accrued from having white skin in the global hierarchy of oppression. Whiteness was invented by white supremacists in order to justify a long list of historical and continuing crimes.

Zontar:

altnameJag:
...the fuck is "white"?

For the far left it's a vague term that can be used to describe everything they hate while everything that isn't a part of it is to be loved no matter how incompatible it may be with other things that are supposed to be loved, glued together by anti-historic revisionism that pretends that there has been a fluidity to the term by evoking 200 year old propaganda that only works if you rely on the exact opposite being true and doesn't work if they're being honest.

For everyone else, it's Europeans. Also sometimes East Asians if they're not accepting far left values and the left needs another group to hate on for the next 5 minutes.

The reason that pan-white identity doesn't really work is that A not the entire population of europe is caucasian and B ethnic hatred and supremacy existed between caucasian, christian, european nations decades into the 20th century, and the assimilation of caucasian peoples happened as a result of the fear and/or threat of harassment and violence from those with british protestant heritage. If not for anti-german hate after WW1, the US would have been significally more german today

altnameJag:
Snip

Zontar:
Snap

Seanchaidh:
Snup

For all inquiries regarding any sort of solidarity of the so-called white race, refer to any oppression ever that DID NOT involve people of another skin, but simply of another culture. We'll start with the age-old standard of Britain VS Everyone and move on from there. Where was 'white race' when people were putting up signs saying 'No Irish'? White skin doesn't mean a thing. It's revisionist bullshit.

Hah, the Hacker Known as 4chan dun gud. It's the funniest shit, people going "we're not going to take the bait!" while biting down hard on it.

This time there's no defending the reaction. "It's okay to be white." "WHAAAAAT! THIS INSTITUTION DENOUNCES THIS HATEFUL MESSAGE!" "Cool, you don't think it's OK then, like we actually already know. We just wanted you to say it out loud and proud for the slowpokes, so thanks for that." I for one applaud the demonstration of the goddamn obvious institutional racism of the SocJus Party and their fellow travellers.

This is an induced sickness, people. I personally don't want a world divided along lines on the freaking color chart, so if those who do would kindly take their poison and found their own dystopia somewhere else, that would be super, OK?

For those who are asserting that the phrase it's okay to be white is somehow indicative of a racist meaning, I would like to ask a question. Remember when Black Lives Matter first started? Remember how those who were against the movement were told that if they had a problem with the phrase then they must be racist against blacks? Does the same logic apply here?

altnameJag:
Hell, I'm fairly certain I've got basically nothing in common with your average Anglo-Saxon Protestant given I'm a Catholic Serbian mutt whose family moved generationally west over the years.

You don't share a common humanity with those people then?

Makes sense that you'd play the "But you see, I'm not one of those dirty whiteys!" card, though. As if that's going to make a difference when the Liberation gets swinging in crimson earnest.

StatusNil:
snip

RikuoAmero:
For those who are asserting that the phrase it's okay to be white is somehow indicative of a racist meaning, I would like to ask a question. Remember when Black Lives Matter first started? Remember how those who were against the movement were told that if they had a problem with the phrase then they must be racist against blacks? Does the same logic apply here?

Depends, do you believe in a thing called context? Because the context here is flyers being stuffed right outside the Native Studies department. I'm just going to copy/paste what jklinders posted:

At the University of Alberta in Canada, one of the posters appeared Tuesday outside the school's Native Studies department, according to a media report. That came a day after a racist jack-o'-lantern was left outside the same academic office.

I would compare it to, say, if people were to leave flyers reading "Its O.K. to be German" right outside a Holocaust museum. Is it O.K. to be German? Yes, of course, but context is important. I can't see an argument to the contrary unless you are willing to dismiss all subtelty and subtext.

What next, shall I start leaving flyers reading "Its O.K. to be male" outside of women's refuges from abuse? Perhaps a few flyers reading "Its O.K. to carry guns" posted around that small town in Texas that has just come up in the news?

I could go on but I hope you get the point. As a "Gotcha" attempt this is dreadfully poor.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here