8.9% (4)
No
60% (27)
60% (27)
Pay me to
31.1% (14)
31.1% (14)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Would you give up your concert seat because of the color of your skin?

Pages PREV 1 2

Captain Marvelous:
I probably wouldn't go in the first place, but no. Not without a refund anyway.

Silentpony:
But digging a little deeper, apparently its a safety issue. The story goes that the back of the venue is filled with Nazi Zombies and people named Greg, so women and minorities aren't safe there. Better to have the women up front, in the light, by the cameras and performers and all that jazz, and the grizzled macho white men in the back to deal with the Zombies COD style and explain to Greg manbuns look terrible.
So she's trying to protect certain people by having them more visual. Sure, I guess?

That's... huh.

Lido Pimienta:
From the audience?s point of view, [men] for the most part will not think twice before they put themselves right in front of you. I am a short woman, so I always have to show up very early to be able to enjoy the music, to see the acts... From the stage point of view, I noticed how most men who plant themselves at the front, they tend to overpower ME. Their presence usually at my own show is a threatening one and I have had men grab me, grab my hands, grab my waist, scream "TE AMO MAMACITA." My show is all about high energy and high feminine power, so I can see for some men, my energy reads "sexual" and they feel like my show is FOR THEM, when in fact, my show if anything, is for WOMXN.

From her own experience at her shows, men tend to be a bit... rapey. So she shoos them off to the back and asks women to come to the front. For her safety and theirs. She also specifically asks black women to the front because if she doesn't, the front rows will be filled with white women. Again, this is something she's noticed at her own shows and seeks to rectify. With that in mind, she can do what she wants.

what the fuck is a "womxn"

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

Good question.

Here's the answer.

Seanchaidh:

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

Good question.

Here's the answer.

Oh, right.

Man, American idpol is a weird place right now

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

Seanchaidh:

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

Good question.

Here's the answer.

Oh, right.

She's a South American singer based out of Canada I think lumping two continents identity politics together might be a wee bit over generalized. Especially considering the term is used by some feminists in Australia and the U.K. as well, it's never been a mainstream thing, but across the English speaking world some feminists have advocated for it, or derivatives of its use since the 1970's so if by "now" you mean for the last 50 years then yes I guess it's sort of an odd belief and you're a lot older than I thought you were.

Never even heard of this bird, but now that I have, fuck her and her bigoted practices. Yes, it's racism.

EternallyBored:

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

Seanchaidh:

Good question.

Here's the answer.

Oh, right.

She?s a South American singer based out of Canada I think lumping two continents identity politics together might be a wee bit over generalized. Especially considering the term is used by some feminists in Australia and the U.K. as well, it?s never been a mainstream thing, but across the English speaking world some feminists have advocated for it, or derivatives of its use since the 1970?s so if by ?now? you mean for the last 50 years then yes I guess it?s sort of an odd belief and you?re a lot older than I thought you were.

Well, America can refer to NA, SA or both at the same time. Anyway from the South Americans I've spoken to it seems that identity politics are in a simular place to North America, with South Americans perhaps paying a little more attention to traditional marxist economic theory than their northern counterparts. Thats my impression anyway.

I don't even know what the fuck you're trying to see in that last bit, obviously identity poltics aren't what they were in the civil rights movement, what's your point? Its evolved over time just like any political position or piece of theory

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

EternallyBored:

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

Oh, right.

She?s a South American singer based out of Canada I think lumping two continents identity politics together might be a wee bit over generalized. Especially considering the term is used by some feminists in Australia and the U.K. as well, it?s never been a mainstream thing, but across the English speaking world some feminists have advocated for it, or derivatives of its use since the 1970?s so if by ?now? you mean for the last 50 years then yes I guess it?s sort of an odd belief and you?re a lot older than I thought you were.

Well, America can refer to NA, SA or both at the same time. Anyway from the South Americans I've spoken to it seems that identity politics are in a simular place to North America, with South Americans perhaps paying a little more attention to traditional marxist economic theory than their northern counterparts. Thats my impression anyway.

I don't even know what the fuck you're trying to see in that last bit, obviously identity poltics aren't what they were in the civil rights movement, what's your point? Its evolved over time just like any political position or piece of theory

Also the U.K. and Australia, it?s an English speaking feminist thing, not sure why you ignored that part, it?s got very little to do with ?American? identity politics, especially since identity politics in north and South America are not really lumped together so calling it American identity politics does not conjure an image of literally two whole continents. South American social movements tend to have very little compatibility with their North American counterparts, it?s something North American NGOs and non-profits have struggled with for decades.

The second part was a reaction to what you said about American identity politics being in a weird place ?now? because the existence of Womyn and womxn has been a thing for decades, actually since the civil rights movement, so this would be a case of identity politics actually not changing much since the civil rights movement. Unless you think identity politics being in a weird place ?now? means they?ve been in a weird place since the 70?s, which is a strange definition of now, same as you misrepresenting an English speaking fringe feminist thing as being American.

Edit: I am not trying to come off as totally dismissive, I know you aren't from an English primary country so I am correcting your assumption that this is both an "American" and a new identity politics thing, it's a small movement that started around the end of the 60's and formalized in the 70's, it hasn't really changed or gotten much bigger since then. Mostly I'm just pointing out it's old and not strictly American. While the age line was snarky I do understand how someone not from the anglosphere might assume it's strictly a US or US/Canada thing.

EternallyBored:

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

EternallyBored:

Also the U.K. and Australia, it?s an English speaking feminist thing, not sure why you ignored that part, it?s got very little to do with ?American? identity politics, especially since identity politics in north and South America are not really lumped together so calling it American identity politics does not conjure an image of literally two whole continents. South American social movements tend to have very little compatibility with their North American counterparts, it?s something North American NGOs and non-profits have struggled with for decades.

The second part was a reaction to what you said about American identity politics being in a weird place ?now? because the existence of Womyn and womxn has been a thing for decades, actually since the civil rights movement, so this would be a case of identity politics actually not changing much since the civil rights movement. Unless you think identity politics being in a weird place ?now? means they?ve been in a weird place since the 70?s, which is a strange definition of now, same as you misrepresenting an English speaking fringe feminist thing as being American.

Edit: I am not trying to come off as totally dismissive, I know you aren?t from an English primary country so I am correcting your assumption that this is both an ?American? and a new identity politics thing, it?s a small movement that started around the end of the 60?s and formalized in the 70?s, it hasn?t really changed or gotten much bigger since then. Mostly I?m just pointing out it?s old and not strictly American. While the age line was snarky I do understand how someone not from the anglosphere might assume it?s strictly a US or US/Canada thing.

Your experiences here vastly differ from my own. Its true that I'm not from an English speaking country, however, I did live in Britain for a long while and I stay in touch with a lot of leftists from all over the planet, my entire Facebook feed is full of Leftybook groups, etc... Yes, I am actually quite a radically far left guy, even if some posters here will dispute that because anything that takes them out of dreamy liberal wonderland has to be stamped conservative.

I say its in a weird place because it is, and that to me is a semi recent development. Yes, the word womyn was uttered long before the turn of the millenia (and incidentally was just as stupid then as it is now, although people are welcome to use it if they absolutely think its useful) but its only really gained traction more recently. Look, I know various splinters of feminism were discussing all that stuff decades ago, the thing is no one was listening. Nowadays it is -very- present throughout the left wing and more importantly at universities. From what I've seen in Britain, Germany and the Netherlands, and heard from the rest of the world thats the case everywhere - although its much less relevant in central Europe than it is in the rest of the Western world and South America, I'll give you that.

It occurs to me we're talking past each other, so let me elaborate on why I say identity politics are in a weird place (and also why I think idpol needs a one way ticket to the Gulag if we don't want alt-righty nationalism to win out): identity politics main role used to be highlighting unjust symptoms of a broken system to show why it needs to be replaced; today idpol contents itself with highlighting symptoms so they can be treated without addressing underlying causes. Where we used to critizise artificial scarcity, imperialism or capitalist dynamics for example, we today instead have idpol taking these things and packing them under new blanket terms like whiteness or toxic masculinity. The dangerously subtle implication is of course that things would be fine with less white people or less masculinity, which is an idiotic and wholly unproductive idea that will never gain serious traction with the general population and may God have mercy on us if it does. This is in my perspective a relatively new development and different from the 70's.

Theres also the alarming trend of idpol being picked up by large coorporations while their leftist roots are not. This forceful insertion of identity politics ought to be enough to make anyone - MOST OF ALL leftists - suspicious. I will give you an example of what I mean; take Google. Google has a reputation for being one of the most LGBTQ coorporations out there, they speak out not just for regular old homosexuals but also transfolk, use their platform to advertise those ideas, tell everyone about diversity in their hiring process, etc etc, blabla - you know, they even condemned Trump for something about transfolk. This same Google also has no problem using cobalt mined by literal child slaves in their products. Now to be clear, I'm not saying someone or something can't do both good and bad things, what I'm saying is that if Google are fine with child slavery and horrid working conditions, we can assume the reason for their pro-LGBTQ agenda is not a concern with justice or the goodness of their hearts. I have an idea as to whats really going on, but its too early to say - I'll share it in 2 or 3 years.

So thats why I say idpol is in a weird place. I feel the underlying aims have changed, as has its supporters and its general environment. Generally not positive changes in my opinion and we need it back on track ASAP.

Saelune:
...What?

Apparently a pop singer asked white people to go to the back seats because zombies (???) and this is apparently the same as Jim Crow.

renegade7:

Saelune:
...What?

Apparently a pop singer asked white people to go to the back seats because zombies (???) and this is apparently the same as Jim Crow.

You really need to read past the first post. According to her, colored women are assaulted more at concerts, especially in the back, so to combat that she demands all white people sit in the back, and all colored people come sit in the front, and anyone who doesn't go along with it is kicked out of the concert.
Regardless of who you're with, what ticket you bought, regardless of everything, if you're white, sit in the back. If you're black, sit up front.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here