Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore accused of statutory rape

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Well, white women in Alabama voted 2 for 3 for the guy who said the constitutional amendment that allowed them to vote was unnecessary.

Fucking hell.

Saelune:

ObsidianJones:
At the time of me typing this, 99% of the votes are in and Jones won 640,540 over Moore's 631,576.

Literally 9000 plus or minus people made the difference. Under 9000 people lessened the grip of the GOP sycophants who blindly followed Trump.

While a victory, it's still... heartbreaking that it's even this close.

I wonder how many of them were people who usually vote republican, how many were democrats who usually dont bother, cause Alabama, and how many were undecided types.

Word is, turnout was actually higher than normal for Moore.

bastardofmelbourne:

Saelune:
I think I will wait for Trump's response to this. Im sure it will be infuriating.

It was, but not for the reasons you'd expect. It was...polite.

dun dun DAAAAAAAAH

Looks like someone distracted Trump with an intern or some jingling keys and had one of the ghostwriters do the twitter post. Smart move.

PsychedelicDiamond:

bastardofmelbourne:

Saelune:
I think I will wait for Trump's response to this. Im sure it will be infuriating.

It was, but not for the reasons you'd expect. It was...polite.

dun dun DAAAAAAAAH

... the fuck? Did his wife write that behind his back or something?

I think several news outlets have made the plausible case he has ghostwriters who have posting access to his twitter feed. If you see Trump tweets that look somewhat professional, it's a pretty good chance they wrote it.

It's just a matter of distracting Trump while they do it. I can only imagine they hid his phone while he was binge watching FOX News or something.

Always nice to see the good guys get a win.

Oh, and there's no way in hell Trump personally wrote that tweet. Even if he had decided to be polite, the phrasing and sentence structure is all wrong.

Now, if you'll excuse me I need to go and stalk the halls of Twitter to sup upon the sweet, sweet tears of horrible, horrible people.

I was cruelly denied in 2016 and so I have a mighty thirst.

altnameJag:
Well, white women in Alabama voted 2 for 3 for the guy who said the constitutional amendment that allowed them to vote was unnecessary.

Fucking hell.

Saelune:

ObsidianJones:
At the time of me typing this, 99% of the votes are in and Jones won 640,540 over Moore's 631,576.

Literally 9000 plus or minus people made the difference. Under 9000 people lessened the grip of the GOP sycophants who blindly followed Trump.

While a victory, it's still... heartbreaking that it's even this close.

I wonder how many of them were people who usually vote republican, how many were democrats who usually dont bother, cause Alabama, and how many were undecided types.

Word is, turnout was actually higher than normal for Moore.

I dont doubt that. Republicans must be getting scared now, as they slowly erode their bases. I expect the next vote for anything will also have an increased Republican turnout, even if its literally Hitler, because no place is safe from Democrats now. Hell, Bernie Sanders could probably win next if he ran Republican, not like their voters are going to consider WHO they vote for, just that they are red.

Great result.

In a decent world, this result would have been a foregone conclusion, but I'm happy nevertheless.

Roy Moore has so far refused to concede, saying that "God is always in control" and that he'll "let this process play out."

Well, deus vult, motherfucker.

bastardofmelbourne:
Roy Moore has so far refused to concede, saying that "God is always in control" and that he'll "let this process play out."

Well, deus vult, motherfucker.

"You know, part of the thing - part of the problem with this campaign is we've been painted in an unfavorable and unfaithful light," Moore told his supporters. "We've been put in a hole, if you will." - Roy Moore

Christ. He's really going to fight this all the way isn't he? Dude, when you have four different people confirming that you chase after underage girls, and they don't even have ties to your opponents? It's time to give it up. Just stop embarrassing yourself and take your punishment.

I just utterly adore the shitfit that the alt right is pitching right now.

It's all "Waaah waaah black people voting!" and "reeeee muh burfrates, muh culture!" and "women's suffrage is why I can't laid!"

Which is normal, of course, but they're slightly angrier about it tonight because I think they were expecting a win.

renegade7:
"women's suffrage is why I can't laid!"

Which reminds me that r/Incels got closed down on Reddit. Just think about that. Reddit, who let's r/The_donald and other cesspools of depravity live, thought that r/Incels had to go.

Any Christian who supports Roy Moore, doesnt support Jesus.

Saelune:

There's a sizeable(if not massive) overlap with "Christians" who support Trump as well, despite what a total shit he is. Because he's a "Baby Christian". Because Jesus was totally into Torture and sexual assault and would of approved of Trump, Moore and his Ilk.

I used to be really religious, to the point of thinking religious fundamentalism was a good thing. I left the church over a decade ago because of people like Moore. If I hadn't, I imagine I'd be leaving now. People more interested in using their religion to justify hating people they dislike then bring anything positive into the world or find some kind of spiritual fulfillment.

Dalisclock:

Saelune:

There's a sizeable(if not massive) overlap with "Christians" who support Trump as well, despite what a total shit he is. Because he's a "Baby Christian". Because Jesus was totally into Torture and sexual assault and would of approved of Trump, Moore and his Ilk.

I used to be really religious, to the point of thinking religious fundamentalism was a good thing. I left the church over a decade ago because of people like Moore. If I hadn't, I imagine I'd be leaving now. People more interested in using their religion to justify hating people they dislike then bring anything positive into the world or find some kind of spiritual fulfillment.

Made a big ranty post, but deleted it. Instead I am just going to thank you for eventually realizing that stuff like that is wrong. I need what ever bit of hope I can get, and for all the stubborn blowhards who will never change for the better, it is always nice to hear of people actually stopping to reconsider things. So thanks.

Well, there you go. A dodgy history of potentially consorting with minors thankfully can lose what should be a safe seat.

Sure, the Republicans will romp home when they put a better candidate in next time, but it's a pleasing enough democratic shot across the bows.

Positive move, Alabama. But that is very close all things considering, do we need a talk?

Oh look, they gave Trump his phone back.

Zhukov:

The reason I originally endorsed Luther Strange (and his numbers went up mightily), is that I said Roy Moore will not be able to win the General Election. I was right! Roy worked hard but the deck was stacked against him!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 13, 2017

Wow, more than 90% of Fake News Media coverage of me is negative, with numerous forced retractions of untrue stories. Hence my use of Social Media, the only way to get the truth out. Much of Mainstream Meadia has become a joke! @foxandfriends— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 13, 2017

There we go. There's the Trump that we all know and despise.

Wow I can't hardly believe it, Moore actually lost! I did not see that coming at all, glad I was wrong.

Let's be honest, it took a literal child molester for people to vote for a democrat, but still that means that there's enough people who will switch side if they have to choose between child molester and democrat (or maybe enough people will stay home if the only candidate they can stomach to vote for is a child molester). I can't wait to see the turnout, this is nuts!

Isn't the senate now 50/50? Couldn't that block the final vote on the new tax bill (I think one R said they won't vote for it)?

Meiam:
Wow I can't hardly believe it, Moore actually lost! I did not see that coming at all, glad I was wrong.

Let's be honest, it took a literal child molester for people to vote for a democrat, but still that means that there's enough people who will switch side if they have to choose between child molester and democrat (or maybe enough people will stay home if the only candidate they can stomach to vote for is a child molester). I can't wait to see the turnout, this is nuts!

Isn't the senate now 50/50? Couldn't that block the final vote on the new tax bill (I think one R said they won't vote for it)?

cjspyres:

Zhukov:

The reason I originally endorsed Luther Strange (and his numbers went up mightily), is that I said Roy Moore will not be able to win the General Election. I was right! Roy worked hard but the deck was stacked against him!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 13, 2017

Wow, more than 90% of Fake News Media coverage of me is negative, with numerous forced retractions of untrue stories. Hence my use of Social Media, the only way to get the truth out. Much of Mainstream Meadia has become a joke! @foxandfriends— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 13, 2017

There we go. There's the Trump that we all know and despise.

The deck was stacked against him? He was a Republican candidate in Alabama being endorsed by the president! All he had to do was not molest children and he'd have won. Jesus Christ that's a low fucking hurdle.

CheetoDust:
The deck was stacked against him? He was a Republican candidate in Alabama being endorsed by the president! All he had to do was not molest children and he'd have won. Jesus Christ that's a low fucking hurdle.

Indeed.

The self-characterisation of Trump and his minions is that they are the honest, plucky, victimised underdogs of a biased society trying to keep them down. Somehow that's still true even for a billionaire with the backing of a major political party funded up the wazoo by donations from major corporations and billionaires. And still true even in an election where they should normally take 65-70% of the vote except they chose for themselves an alleged child molestor. Because it's anyone's fault but their own.

And somehow, Trump manages the spectacular double of transitioning effortlessly between telling everyone how great he is, how he defeats everyone, does everything right and gets everything done, yet also portraying himself as the victim of dark and overbeaing forces. Although note even then he's the MOST VICTIMISED person of THE BIGGEST WITCH HUNTS in ALL HISTORY, because if Trump is going to be a victim, he's going to demand to be the greatest victim that ever lived.

Not to be the turd in the punch bowl on the Jones victory, but...

Moore, despite everything going against him BEYOND the sexual misconduct allegations (desire to outlaw homosexuality, history of racist comments, and the fact that he was essentially removed from the state Supreme Court ***TWICE***) he still came within a point and a half of winning this election. That's terribly unsettling on it's face, but much, much more so when you consider this:

The GOP had a chance to cut ties with this man and disavow him. They didn't. The RNC stuck with him, as did the Trump administration and most GOP elected officials. Only about a dozen current Republican members of Congress criticized Moore and even fewer explicitly called on him to drop out and for the RNC to stop fundraising for him. And obviously, neither happened. When it became clear that Moore's poll numbers had either stabilized/bounced back, the GOP and Trump hitched their wagon to him. They were willing to put a fucking child predator in the Senate so they could get their tax cuts and gut social security/healthcare.

And now....NOW these clowns are all blaming in on Bannon. And don't get me wrong, he deserves blame. A LOT. But the GOP establishment went right along with it too, and that's a HUGE reason Moore got as close as he did. The stench of this rot shouldn't be washed off them, but I suspect it probably will.

Meiam:

Senate is 49/51 which means 2 Republican Senate votes are needed against it otherwise Pencey-poo gets to vote yes for the tie-breaker.

Exley97:

Moore, despite everything going against him BEYOND the sexual misconduct allegations (desire to outlaw homosexuality, history of racist comments, and the fact that he was essentially removed from the state Supreme Court ***TWICE***) he still came within a point and a half of winning this election. That's terribly unsettling on it's face, but much, much more so when you consider this:

The GOP had a chance to cut ties with this man and disavow him. They didn't. The RNC stuck with him, as did the Trump administration and most GOP elected officials. Only about a dozen current Republican members of Congress criticized Moore and even fewer explicitly called on him to drop out and for the RNC to stop fundraising for him. And obviously, neither happened. When it became clear that Moore's poll numbers had either stabilized/bounced back, the GOP and Trump hitched their wagon to him. They were willing to put a fucking child predator in the Senate so they could get their tax cuts and gut social security/healthcare.

And now....NOW these clowns are all blaming in on Bannon. And don't get me wrong, he deserves blame. A LOT. But the GOP establishment went right along with it too, and that's a HUGE reason Moore got as close as he did. The stench of this rot shouldn't be washed off them, but I suspect it probably will.

Dont worry, that turd already dropped. ObsidianJones brought up the narrow victory, as well as the actual increase in support for Moore, bastard brought up everyone blaming Bannon, and I brought up how they are just scapegoating Bannon to ignore the real issues.

This is very much the beginning, not the end, but we do need to just enjoy the little victories while we can.

I think the main thing we need to keep in mind, is not to be lax. This defeat will be a wake up call to spineless right-wingers. Next election for anything will likely have more of them voting when normally they would sit out cause it was 'in the bag' so we need to stay vigilant. I know I voted in my local elections recently, when normally I just only concerned myself with the Presidential one. And I will be voting in every future election for anything now.

Exley97:

Republicans all still went ahead and voted for this man too. I'll be willing to put money on the vital extra votes being embarrassed Alabamians realising if they don't put the effort into voting this time, they will be allowing their state to become an international laughing stock at best.

Exley97:

To be fair, I would imagine the majority of people that voted for Moore dont actually believe Moore is a pedophile, to them, at worst he's someone that dated 17 year olds when he was 30, which isn't enough to change minds in a state where 58% of the population thinks any and all forms of abortion should be illegal and he's up against a staunchly pro choice democrat which would normally be a political death sentence in any other Alabama race likely resulting in losing by 30 points or more.

Conservatives in Alabama are much more likely to think the Moore story is false, those that watch FOX news saw hours of political pundits casting doubts on the accusers, demanding proof, and casting shade on the motivations and biases of the companies and reporters that broke the story. Those that follow more fringe conservative news were told over and over again that it was either a deep state attack on a trump supporting politician, a media conspiracy to hand the election to the Dems, or that the accusers were paid off by George Soros as part of a Jewish conspiracy.

The weight of the story likely suppressed Republican voter turn out, but in this case it's not so much that those that did vote knowingly voted for a pedophile, it's that they don't think he is a pedophile in the first place.

Meiam:

Looking at the numbers this morning, Moore still got 91% of the Republican vote. The Democrats just had better turnout. While not as uplifting as mess defections, it does show that the Republican base is not as secure or dominant as it once was. Uneducated white dudes with made up racial grievances cannot solely carry an election anymore.

Agema:

CheetoDust:

Indeed.

The self-characterisation of Trump and his minions is that they are the honest, plucky, victimised underdogs of a biased society trying to keep them down. Somehow that's still true even for a billionaire with the backing of a major political party funded up the wazoo by donations from major corporations and billionaires. And still true even in an election where they should normally take 65-70% of the vote except they chose for themselves an alleged child molestor. Because it's anyone's fault but their own.

And somehow, Trump manages the spectacular double of transitioning effortlessly between telling everyone how great he is, how he defeats everyone, does everything right and gets everything done, yet also portraying himself as the victim of dark and overbeaing forces. Although note even then he's the MOST VICTIMISED person of THE BIGGEST WITCH HUNTS in ALL HISTORY, because if Trump is going to be a victim, he's going to demand to be the greatest victim that ever lived.

I mean he shits in a solid gold toilet and his supporters still think he'll protect them from the "elites". The right regularly characterises liberalism as a cancer that needs to be fought, the left would be okay with conservatives if it wasn't for all the damn nazis. And before the equivocators and whatabouters jump in they are nazis. They wave Nazi flags, they chant blood and soil they think America should be for whites only. They chanted Jew S A at Trump rallies. They're fucking nazis. And for some reason the nazis and the klansmen all seem to support one particular party? Why the fuck is that exactly?

BeetleManiac:

Looking at the numbers this morning, Moore still got 91% of the Republican vote. The Democrats just had better turnout. While not as uplifting as mess defections, it does show that the Republican base is not as secure or dominant as it once was. Uneducated white dudes with made up racial grievances cannot solely carry an election anymore.

Yeah I just started looking at the numbers. One that blows my minds is that 70%+ of white women voted for him, when he claim that they shouldn't have added amendment to the constitution after the 10th (the 19th is the one that allowed women to vote). Women literally voted for someone who said they shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Meiam:

Yeah I just started looking at the numbers. One that blows my minds is that 70%+ of white women voted for him, when he claim that they shouldn't have added amendment to the constitution after the 10th (the 19th is the one that allowed women to vote). Women literally voted for someone who said they shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Nothing New Under The Sun. It mirrors a discussion raised right after Trump was elected.

Working class white women

He received the strongest support from white women without college degrees, 62 percent of whom voted for him. Although his supporters reported median household incomes of $70,000, the Trump campaign tapped into fears and frustrations among white working-class women about diminished possibilities for their husbands and sons to provide for their families. Many supporters' families work in blue-collar occupations such as construction, transportation, and infrastructure; live in low mobility areas; and have little personal contact with immigrants. "Us vs. them" rhetoric framed diversity as an impediment to American greatness, and-consistent with historical racial and socioeconomic fractures-global trade and immigration, the increasing presence of white women and people of color in government, and "dangerous inner cities" emerged as threats.

White women with college degrees

The second largest contingent of women supporting Trump was white women with college degrees. Forty-five percent of them voted for him. While some were likely attracted to Trump's fiscally conservative policies, research suggests an even more pervasive gender dynamic at play. Women and men have been socialized by family members, educators, and the media to associate leadership with a particular version of masculinity, an image Trump exemplified in his persona as the supremely successful businessman. He reinforced the masculine, leader-as-savior image with repeated claims that he alone could make America great again. Those drawn to this view, by extension, place a higher level of scrutiny on those who do not fit their image of success. Thus, Secretary Clinton's handling of her emails was considered far more egregious than anything Trump had done, an assessment fueled by his systematic dismantling of Clinton in virtually every stump speech.

Saelune:

Exley97:

Dont worry, that turd already dropped. ObsidianJones brought up the narrow victory, as well as the actual increase in support for Moore, bastard brought up everyone blaming Bannon, and I brought up how they are just scapegoating Bannon to ignore the real issues.

This is very much the beginning, not the end, but we do need to just enjoy the little victories while we can.

Ah yes, missed those. It's a turd party!!! On a serious note, I don't want to diminish the work the work that went into Jones' victory, or cancel the celebration, because those folks earned it. But I also think the election deserves some serious introspection about the electorate, not just in Alabama/the South but everywhere, and what it will put up with as a result of partisan tribalism.

EternallyBored:

To be fair, I would imagine the majority of people that voted for Moore dont actually believe Moore is a pedophile, to them, at worst he's someone that dated 17 year olds when he was 30, which isn't enough to change minds in a state where 58% of the population thinks any and all forms of abortion should be illegal and he's up against a staunchly pro choice democrat which would normally be a political death sentence in any other Alabama race likely resulting in losing by 30 points or more.

Conservatives in Alabama are much more likely to think the Moore story is false, those that watch FOX news saw hours of political pundits casting doubts on the accusers, demanding proof, and casting shade on the motivations and biases of the companies and reporters that broke the story. Those that follow more fringe conservative news were told over and over again that it was either a deep state attack on a trump supporting politician, a media conspiracy to hand the election to the Dems, or that the accusers were paid off by George Soros as part of a Jewish conspiracy.

A couple weeks ago, I would have probably agreed with your view on Moore voters -- that they think the allegations are false and don't believe he did anything wrong -- but then I read and watch segments on Moore supporters like this one, and I changed my mind.
https://news.vice.com/story/why-these-alabama-voters-are-sticking-by-roy-moore

Watch the video the whole way through. They start out saying they do't believe the accusers, that the women were paid, that there's nothing there, etc. etc....but then the questions continue, and that facade gives way to what I think is the truth: They ABSOLUTELY believe he did it, but they know they can't argue that or say that publicly, so they moralize their way out of the conundrum by claiming it's all fake news and a big conspiracy. Seriously, watch it -- they go from claiming the accusers were paid to "Well, it wasn't rape" or "I'm not saying he's perfect or blameless" or "It was a different time" [LOfuckingL]. I mean FFS, at one point a guy says he thinks they have two "terrible candidates" and that he's going to vote for Moore because he's a conservative.

They know he did it. And they don't care.

Hey, on a semi-personal matter, can we call him Democrat, Senator, or Doug even? I'm getting thrown off every once and a while...

Meiam:

Welcome to modern evangelical culture. The churches in these regions tend to cleave to a principle called Biblical complimentarianism. Which is a fancy way of saying the sexes should be kept unequal because that's what God intended. Apparently God created man to be capable of doing anything except making his own damn sandwich.

Because of this belief that their god made men and women to be separate, men can effectively only define themselves as masculine by being what women can't. It's why they oppose feminism. Their rigidly hierarchical structure cannot survive when a population does not see the need to pigeonhole people into a life role based solely on what bits and pieces are between their legs. If you have a penis, then God intended for you to be the bread-winner, to take on leadership roles, and to act is the benevolent dictator over your wife and children. And if you're a woman, you get to clean up after your man and never refuse him sex when he demands it. To the fundies, that's the natural order of the universe. To everyone else it's bonkers.

BeetleManiac:
To everyone else it's bonkers.

Unfortunately not, lots of other people believe that to varying extents. Though how much they acknowledge that also varies.

BeetleManiac:

What I find heartening about the results of this election is that it disproves the alt-right's claim to being the voice of the people. Bannon, Moore, and Trump are all characterised as "populists," but in reality, their noxious platform is not at all as popular as they think it is.

Bannon and people like him were emboldened by Trump because Trump's victory implied that they had a popular mandate. This proves that they did not, and that they can lose even an extremely safe Republican seat (the previous election results were 97% Republican) if the other side can manage the eternal judo-flip of American politics; voter turnout.

Jones had 97% of the black vote and black voters counted for 29% of the total ballots cast - versus the 26% of the population that they represent. He won largely because a) black people came out and voted for him in record-breaking numbers - more than voted for Obama! and b) college-educated white Republicans refused to vote for a candidate whose policies were toxic. Doug Jones won the turnout battle.

The dark secret of American politics is that it has always been about the turnout. More than half of Americans don't vote in a presidential election and even fewer vote in congressional or special elections. Donald Trump does not represent the wishes of Americans; he doesn't even represent the wishes of 51% of Americans. He represents the wishes of about 26%, most of whom would have been Republicans voting more out of party loyalty than out of appeal for his platform.

The truth about the populist, racist, theocratic nationalists dominating American politics? There just aren't that many of them.

bastardofmelbourne:

BeetleManiac:

What I find heartening about the results of this election is that it disproves the alt-right's claim to being the voice of the people. Bannon, Moore, and Trump are all characterised as "populists," but in reality, their noxious platform is not at all as popular as they think it is.

Bannon and people like him were emboldened by Trump because Trump's victory implied that they had a popular mandate. This proves that they did not, and that they can lose even an extremely safe Republican seat (the previous election results were 97% Republican) if the other side can manage the eternal judo-flip of American politics; voter turnout.

Jones had 97% of the black vote and black voters counted for 29% of the total ballots cast - versus the 26% of the population that they represent. He won largely because a) black people came out and voted for him in record-breaking numbers - more than voted for Obama! and b) college-educated white Republicans refused to vote for a candidate whose policies were toxic. Doug Jones won the turnout battle.

The dark secret of American politics is that it has always been about the turnout. More than half of Americans don't vote in a presidential election and even fewer vote in congressional or special elections. Donald Trump does not represent the wishes of Americans; he doesn't even represent the wishes of 51% of Americans. He represents the wishes of about 26%, most of whom would have been Republicans voting more out of party loyalty than out of appeal for his platform.

The truth about the populist, racist, theocratic nationalists dominating American politics? There just aren't that many of them.

Man, we need mandatory voting. Ironic that the best way to maintain our freedoms is probably to 'give up the freedom' to not bother.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here