Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore accused of statutory rape

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

bastardofmelbourne:
Roy Moore is still refusing to concede the election.

Wait, so he wasn't just seeking a recount- something he could have done in theory, though without the necessary margin for an automatic recount Moore would have had to pay for it himself- but a redo of the entire election? This just keeps getting better and better. I fully expect that when Jones heads to his new office on the first day of the job, he'll find the door locked and a picture of an angry-frowny face taped to the door with the caption; 'Office Of SENATOR Moore, Keep Out Democrats! >:( God Will Smite Thee!'

Still, I'm curious as to exactly how much further Moore will take this, and whether this is going to lead certain parts of Alabama to some ugly places. Even though the notion of a defeated candidate conceding might seem like a formality, (given they lost, after all,) it is a necessary component to helping the entire process run smoothly. In conceding, the losing candidate reaffirms their faith in the electoral process that led to their loss, and signals to their support base that nothing is amiss. Moore, meanwhile, is taking the exact opposite approach, screaming at the top of his lungs not only that the election was rigged against him, but even framing this entire thing as a battle between good and evil. Apple-Pie American Values vs The Dark, Depraved Sodomites. That could carry some potentially disturbing undertones, more so the longer Moore insists on keeping this up and riling his support base.

Actually he can't even pay for a recount. The Alabama state constitution doesn't allow for it. Recounts are only allowed when the close margin forces an automatic recount.

Probably the reason he's going to such extreme measures.

DeimosMasque:
Actually he can't even pay for a recount. The Alabama state constitution doesn't allow for it. Recounts are only allowed when the close margin forces an automatic recount.

Oh, really? I could have sworn I read something about self-funding a recount elsewhere; might have misremembered. Thanks! =D

DeimosMasque:

So what's the fundraising for if the courts won't hear it and recounts aren't a possibility? I'm thinking private smear campaign...

Addendum_Forthcoming:

So what's the fundraising for if the courts won't hear it and recounts aren't a possibility? I'm thinking private smear campaign...

Having lived in the area of Alabama he used to hunt...er...reside in, my guess is that he really does think God is doing this all to give him money.

Minor update: the home of Tina Johnson, who accused Roy Moore of groping her butt in his office in 1991, was destroyed in a fire while she was at work, taking everything Johnson owned with it.

Authorities are investigating it as arson, but do not believe it to be related to Roy Moore. There's a GofundMe campaign to help Johnson rebuild her home.

bastardofmelbourne:
Minor update: the home of Tina Johnson, who accused Roy Moore of groping her butt in his office in 1991, was destroyed in a fire while she was at work, taking everything Johnson owned with it.

Authorities are investigating it as arson, but do not believe it to be related to Roy Moore. There's a GofundMe campaign to help Johnson rebuild her home.

Maybe it's just me, but I find it really hard to believe that some rabid Moore supporter wasn't behind this (if it does indeed turn out to be arson). It would be one hell of a coincidence for it to just be some random attack.

bastardofmelbourne:

I find it really hard to believe there's no connection.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here