What do you expect would have happened by now with Hillary victory

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

With the upcoming full year to the election of the glorious god emperor Trump I hear a lot of voices about how much of a mistake Trump is. So my question is, in an alternate reality where Hillary would have won what huge advancements do you foresee to likely happen in her first year?

Would it have been the end to global warming, peace with N. Korea or banning all guns?

No one believed Hillary would fix much, just that she wouldn't break them, which is pretty much all Trump has been doing since his first day. The EPA would not have been gagged, Insurance companies wouldn't be able to discriminate based on pre-existing conditions, a man who built concentration camps and filled them with innocent US citizens whose crimes began and edned with "looking like mexicans", there would not be a nuclear dick-measuring contest on the Korean Peninsular, US alliances would not be deteriorating at their current rate, abortion rights would not be as endangered as they are now, there wouldn't be a chance of congress actually voting over the Religious Freedoms Act at some point in the near future, and so on and so forth. Basically, everything would be a little less unstable and the US would have a president with actual political experience as opposed to a nepotist who cares far too much about insults against him on twitter and TV news, and far too little about Russia dismissing 750 american diplomats

You need to work on more logical thinking. Thinking Trump is bad doesn't mean thinking Hillary will do anything great. That anyone could genuinely think that's the implication is bizarre to say the least. Who makes that kind of leap in logic?

Like surely you understand why status quo is preferable to people than bad policies right? And that the status quo isn't great things happening? Like... the concept isn't that foreign to you is it?

The country wouldn't be a massive dumpster fire where the GOP is actively trying to kill the scientific community and tax the middle class to enable corporate tax cuts. I'd call that an improvement over the 70 year old toddler who screams fake news whenever he gets bad press.

Seriously? Who's saying Hilary would fix everything? Stop fighting with imaginary people to justify your support of a retarded bigoted man baby.

No Muslim ban, LGBT people serving without worry in the military, more nuanced interactions with North Korea and the rest of the world. Perhaps instead of worrying about a war with North Korea, we'd be worrying about a war with Russia, but I have more faith in Hillary and Putin wanting the world to continue than Trump and Kim.

I basically imagined that the period where Obama couldnt get anything done cause of all the Republicans happening for another 4-8 years.

Oh, and Heather Heyer would probably still be alive, along with some more of those soldiers and civilians in those botched military missions. Sure, still would have innocent people dying, but less of them.

Ofcourse, there are tons of other things that would be different, but we wont know until hundreds more supreme court cases since ya know, Obama's pick was illegally prevented. Scalia was a Reagan pick after all.

We'd also probably have a stronger third party as more left-wing folk while not tearing their hair out over Trump would perhaps wanting more and instead of worrying about bringing us back to 2016, be able to work on brining us further left rather than less right.

Oh, and I'd be less suicidal.

Saelune:
Obama's pick was illegally prevented.

Please point to me the law that was violated by Republicans refusing to vote up or down on Garland.

I can't speak much for Australian politics but I can say with some certainty that I could wake up in the morning and I wouldn't be surprised to find that yes, I actually AM awake and that there actually is a world outside. I probably also wouldn't be in a state of constantly checking the news every morning just to make sure there still is news, and people alive to report it, and to know where the evacuation areas are and how far the potential blast zones are should the worst happen.

I probably wouldn't have that recurring dream where I wake up and at first everything seems normal until I realize I can't hear any of my neighbors and when I go outside there's not a single car driving past. And then I check the news online only to find there is no internet. And then it becomes 28 Days Later as I walk down empty streets screaming 'Hello!' over and over again and finally I get attacked by an army of gruesome radioactive mutant frog men in MAGA hats screaming "CUCK CUCK CUCK CUCK! FAKE NEWS!! KEKISTAN! HAIL VICTORY! CUCK!"

In other words if the orange fascist weren't fucking up things all the way in America, I'd be able to rest a lot easier down here.

That said the sight of Malcolm Turnbull drunkenly mocking Donnie in a leaked video almost makes the whole thing worth it.

Trump or Trump 2.0 in 2020 would be a forgone conclusion.

CM156:

Saelune:

Please point to me the law that was violated by Republicans refusing to vote up or down on Garland.

While it's true that no law were violated, they did throw out some pretty necessary decorum. Imagine the chamber flip in 2020, Dem will just refuse to allow any new justice to be appointed by a rep until they get there turn at the table. That could mean a completely dysfunctional supreme court until 2024.

On topic, things wouldn't be that different, if only because Trump has essentially done nothing important since he's been in office and making/fixing things takes longer than breaking them. There would probably be some serious talk about fixing the problem with obamacare. The talk for tax reform would probably be a lot more sensible too.

She would have been impeached when that Navy SEAL died, and then there would have been more hearings about it, and she and everyone on her staff would be jailed(erroneously or not) and after the Donna Brazile story came out Hilary would be found in her cell with 4 rounds to the spine in what would be called a very committed suicide.

Meiam:

CM156:

Saelune:

While it's true that no law were violated, they did throw out some pretty necessary decorum. Imagine the chamber flip in 2020, Dem will just refuse to allow any new justice to be appointed by a rep until they get there turn at the table. That could mean a completely dysfunctional supreme court until 2024.

Dems aren't paid to take a hard line, they're paid to cave.

As for a Hillary win, it would be less bad with less activism. Also, we'd be talking about impeachment over Uranium One and Juanita Broaddrick would be more in the news than she currently is.

FEMA wouldn't be withdrawing from Puerto Rico leaving over 900 people dead and ration "meals" consisting of BBQ Vienna sausages and candy.

altnameJag:
FEMA wouldn't be withdrawing from Puerto Rico leaving over 900 people dead and ration "meals" consisting of BBQ Vienna sausages and candy.

This is true. Far more competent personal friends of the administration would be contracted to fix Puerto Rico and the privatization of Puerto Rico's infrastructure would be proceeding much more quickly and smoothly.

Seanchaidh:

altnameJag:

This is true. Far more competent personal friends of the administration would be contracted to fix Puerto Rico and the privatization of Puerto Rico's infrastructure would be proceeding much more quickly and smoothly.

Okay. I mean, I'm talking about American citizens left in squalor and hunger by an apathetic government who's racist enough to not give them the same support as they gave other hurricane struck areas, but you go score that political point.

altnameJag:

Seanchaidh:

altnameJag:

Okay. I mean, I'm talking about American citizens left in squalor and hunger by an apathetic government who's racist enough to not give them the same support as they gave other hurricane struck areas, but you go score that political point.

I'm sure Haiti, Yemen, Libya, and Honduras appreciate your evenhanded devotion to looking at the Trump administration without considering the likely alternative in this political point scoring thread.

Seanchaidh:

altnameJag:

Seanchaidh:

I'm sure Haiti, Yemen, Libya, and Honduras appreciate your evenhanded devotion to looking at the Trump administration without considering the likely alternative in this political point scoring thread.

So, Trump is...better? Somehow?

altnameJag:

Seanchaidh:

altnameJag:

So, Trump is...better? Somehow?

Nope.

There was a neat Politico article about this, actually, earlier in the year. Found it! It's like a hypothetical, alternate-history take on what Clinton's first hundred days would have looked like.

Anyway. What do I think would have happened? Well, firstly and most importantly, you'd have a liberal justice on the Supreme Court. Not even Mitch McConnell would dare continue the blockade on judicial nominations for another four years. Well, I mean, he might, I can't predict anything these days, but it would be even more heinous than it already was. About four times as heinous, by my math.

There wouldn't be any solid legislation passed, because Republicans would still control both houses of Congress. The Iran nuclear deal would still be around. The Paris climate agreement and the Obama-era clean energy rules would still be around. The TPP would still be dead, but I'd expect Clinton to resurrect it in another form later in her term (that's happening now anyway under the CPTPP, but without America's participation.) NAFTA would be safe; the ACA would be safe. Health insurance premiums would be lower. There might be a push to reform the ACA properly, but I doubt the Republicans would be getting on board. North Korea would still be testing nukes with no solution in sight. Clinton would probably be trying to unseat Assad and getting caught up in Saudi-Iranian power struggles in the process. The response to the hurricane season would have been much faster and more co-ordinated; Puerto Rico wouldn't be in the middle of a humanitarian crisis, nor would the federal government be actively under-reporting Hurricane Maria deaths to slim down the death count.

The Democrats would almost certainly see a further loss of seats in 2018, continuing the legislative deadlock. Clinton would start doing things with executive orders the way Obama did, causing a similar outcry from the Sean Hannitys of the world. You'd see four to eight more years of the Obama administration, with all its boring competency. Clinton would then probably lose the 2020 election to a moderate Republican, or an establishment Republican canny enough to imitate Trump's dog-whistle nationalist appeal without Trump's many indiscretions.

Exactly the fricking same, the other way round.

Trump would be whining and putting out books blaming other people for losing. It would have emerged that Hilary paid for the sleaze dossier on Trump and the Republicans would be kicking off about that.

Oh, except for some reason there wouldn't be this whole "resist" philosophy. Clinton would get away with the same shit because she is part of the system. Seriously, if Trump causes more voter cynicism, he's the best thing that could have happened to the US. But somehow I doubt it.

There would have been a much higher likelihood of there being democratic elections again in 2020.

On the other hand, those might very well have brought someone to power who'd have been like Trump, but competent. Which, mind you, still might happen after Trump.

Basically, America would have been fucked either way unless Clinton would have solved poverty entirely, somehow, and taken military action against right wing extremism which something tells me wouldn't have happened.

Catnip1024:

No, this is bullshit. This equivalency between Trump and Clinton is bullshit. I hate hearing it, because it's bullshit. It's nihilistic, flagrantly illogical bullshit that willfully ignores the vast gulf in competence, qualifications and temperament between Trump and Clinton. It's apathetic people trying to conceal their apathy behind a simplistic layer of pseudo-principles.

Whatever your opinion of Clinton's 90s neoliberalism, she was a better candidate than Trump. She simply was. I challenge anyone who disagrees to watch fifteen minutes of one of the presidential debates. Watch her talk, then watch him talk, and then try to say that they're "equally bad." You can't. It's impossible. She's an accomplished stateswoman with three decades of political experience. He's a demented toad masquerading as a man for the purposes of tax avoidance.

Clinton was very far from perfect. If 2016 accomplished anything of note, it was drawing attention to her flaws and the flaws in her style of politics. But there's a big difference between "flawed" and "Donald Trump." One is a statue with a wonky nose; the other is a snowman made out of burning turds.

Something Something LGBT positive,

improve Obama Care,

get yelled at by Black Lives Matter,

not talk about building a wall on the Mexican border.

Maybe the 500 odd white Nationalists/supremacists go nuts and try to assassinate her and fail miserably;

have a guy in a pikachu outfit to try and crash the white house to see her instead of Trump.

inu-kun:
the glorious god emperor Trump

She wouldn't have nominated a right-wing Justice, the EPA would still be run by scientists, the FCC wouldn't try to repeal net neutrality, she would not nominate right-wing bloggers for federal judges, she wouldn't try to destroy the healthcare industry or to repeal LGBT protections and she'd surround herself with competent people. That's just a couple of things that I know of the top of my head.

In case you haven't noticed, Hillary is one of those politicians obsessed with their legacy. Which would force her to try to be better than Obama. She would have to continue on the same course and improve upon his policies if she wanted to be remembered as more than just the first female president. She'd still be an asshole, but she'd make a decent president. Not as good as Sanders would be, but she wouldn't be worse than Obama.

Brexit would've been the stupidest thing to happen recently. That said, it probably still is - at least you get a do-over in a few years.

saint of m:

I dunno, it's my pet theory that Tzeench has convinced everyone that he is far cleverer than he really is.....no matter how badly his followers screw up it's always just as planned....hmmm, sounds familiar.....

To oversimplify, we'd have another few years of Obama (or close to it).

Her priorities weren't the same, of course, but generally close.

Baffle2:
Brexit would've been the stupidest thing to happen recently. That said, it probably still is - at least you get a do-over in a few years.

To be fair, without Brexit we'd also be missing out on some of the finest displays of Tory incompetence and scumbaggery in political history.

It's like a sitcom, only it's real and people are really going to be suffer, but for now it's funny..

well the US wouldn't be a laughing stock for a start.
she would be able to not provoke North korea.
the KKK and Nazis would go back to their hiding place.
political satire from the US would be a lot better since you can't parody Trump.
and Americans would look a lot less stupid to the world.

Apathy this strong implies a severe deficit of critical analysis. Shoulda woulda coulda, spend more time with the Buddha.

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:
Trump or Trump 2.0 in 2020 would be a forgone conclusion.

Trump 2.0. If he lost in 2016 he'd be finished, because no-one likes a loser in politics.

TTIP would be signed, the US would still be part of the Paris Climate Accord, Comey would still be head of the FBI, dumber laws like letting ISPs sell browser history would be laughed out but net neutrality would still be scaled back, a trade war with China would break out due to accusations of IP theft and dumping, Arab nations would not be overtly sanctioning Qatar, the Secretary of State would not call the President a 'fucking moron'.

And an endless string of Congressional inquiries, half resulting in impeachments but none in conviction due to lack of evidence. This would not stop perpetual protests to arrest her.

And, of course, repeated debt crisis with Puerto Rico granted no recovery budget.

Catnip1024:

Trump would be whining and putting out books blaming other people for losing. It would have emerged that Hilary paid for the sleaze dossier on Trump and the Republicans would be kicking off about that.

Oh, except for some reason there wouldn't be this whole "resist" philosophy. Clinton would get away with the same shit because she is part of the system. Seriously, if Trump causes more voter cynicism, he's the best thing that could have happened to the US. But somehow I doubt it.

You keep saying you arent a Trump supporter...but...

bastardofmelbourne:

Catnip1024:

No, this is bullshit. This equivalency between Trump and Clinton is bullshit. I hate hearing it, because it's bullshit. It's nihilistic, flagrantly illogical bullshit that willfully ignores the vast gulf in competence, qualifications and temperament between Trump and Clinton. It's apathetic people trying to conceal their apathy behind a simplistic layer of pseudo-principles.

Whatever your opinion of Clinton's 90s neoliberalism, she was a better candidate than Trump. She simply was. I challenge anyone who disagrees to watch fifteen minutes of one of the presidential debates. Watch her talk, then watch him talk, and then try to say that they're "equally bad." You can't. It's impossible. She's an accomplished stateswoman with three decades of political experience. He's a demented toad masquerading as a man for the purposes of tax avoidance.

Clinton was very far from perfect. If 2016 accomplished anything of note, it was drawing attention to her flaws and the flaws in her style of politics. But there's a big difference between "flawed" and "Donald Trump." One is a statue with a wonky nose; the other is a snowman made out of burning turds.

With Hillary in charge we would have had world peace, an end to hunger, a cure for cancer and an easy and cheap fix to climate change. Kim Jong Un would have disarmed willingly, the Chinese would have stopped trying to be the world's new economic superpower and Brexit would never have happened. Putin would have seen the error of his ways and instituted true democracy in Russia while cleaning out the corruption. Assad would have had a revelation, unilaterally stopped the Syrian Civil War and helped coordinate Russian intervention with NATO efforts to swiftly and smoothly bring down ISIS, which would have made all the returning Jihadis to Europe renounce their old ways and become proponents of the Western Lifestyle. In the US the income divide would have shrunk massively, with the ultra rich weeping openly and recanting their ways as they handed out their fortunes to the poor. Battlefront 2 would not have been a mess of crass monetization. Wolftenstein the New Colossus would not have been a technical disaster on PC, Destiny 2 would have been released simultaneously to PC AND Mac not just consoles. Visceral would not have been shuttered, but would have gone on to produce the best Star Wars game ever. #Metoo would never have happened, because all sex offenders would have come out publicly in #Ihave before #Metoo could have started. Weinstein would have resigned willingly and appointed a woman to take his place as a sign of good faith. And licorice would finally have started tasting good. All this and more would have come to pass, had Hillary only been allowed unfettered executive power in the USA. Was it worth it, America? Was it worth it?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here