Canadian Prime Minister Trudeau found guilty of violating The Conflict of Interest Act 4 times

Pages 1 2 NEXT

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/watchdog-finds-trudeau-broke-ethics-rules-says-he-s-sorry-1.3729662

https://www.facebook.com/HuffPostCanada/videos/1733670013319837/?hc_ref=ARS5dPfxJo16TV1Vqqu0S1tIw9-7sSRWJlZpCFfYGi9YQALtRAdGnXa6igYYXKP1Xos

Canadian Prime Minister Trudeau has been found guilty of violating The Conflict of Interest Act of 2006 by the Ethics Commissioner Mary Dawson, who concluded that his visit to the Bahamas with his family and with friends in the winter of 2016 on:

-Failing to arrange his private affairs to avoid being in conflict of interest;

-Accepting the gift of accommodations on the private island, by someone who is registered to lobby his office;

-Travelling on non-commercial aircraft charted by the Aga Khan; and

-Not recusing himself from discussions that provided an opportunity to further the Aga Khan's interests

While the PM has apologised, even outlets that support him are not giving him a soft time on this given he practically went on a crusade (or at least gave that impression) against violations of the TCoIA earlier this year.

This couldn't have come at a worst time either, given the past 30 days have not been kind to him given other events such as the revelation that dozens of ISIS fighters have returned to the country and neither the RCMP nor the CSIS know where they are.

He should pull a Trump and just call it fake news on Twitter.

It looks like a bit of an embarrassment for Trudeau. Elected officials really need to be hypervigilant about accepting any kind of gift.

undeadsuitor:

He should pull a Trump and continue to breach the ethics rules, flagrantly and without apologising.

Wait, no; he shouldn't do that. He should not do that.

bastardofmelbourne:

undeadsuitor:

He should pull a Trump and continue to breach the ethics rules, flagrantly and without apologising.

Wait, no; he shouldn't do that. He should not do that.

I thought the continued flagrant abuse of his position was an implied continuation after dismissing all criticisms as fake news

You know, I can't help but look at the shit my president is doing, look to the north and say "is that all? He didn't blatantly drag his feet when it came to helping disaster victims? He didn't say anything about sexually assaulting women? He didn't defend a pedophile? Can we trade?"

erttheking:
He didn't blatantly drag his feet when it came to helping disaster victims?]/quote]You mean make a deal with the Democrats in the first act of true bipartisanship by a US president since the Reagan administration due to his own party refusing to get anything done, in one of the inarguable good things no one on either side can reasonably take issue wiht?

He didn't say anything about sexually assaulting women?

While neither respect woman it's hard to say something about a consensual encounter.

He didn't defend a pedophile?

Wait the far left hates that now? Someone should send that memo out quickly.[quote] Can we trade?"

This but unirronically. Hate Trump all you want he's at least competent. There's a reason why the only good things the Trudeau administration have accomplished are things that where either grandfathered from Harper's or where done solely by one of his ministers with no input from him.

bastardofmelbourne:
It looks like a bit of an embarrassment for Trudeau. Elected officials really need to be hypervigilant about accepting any kind of gift.

It's made more ironic when one takes into consideration the fact he made a big stink about a Senator who also breached the TCoIA, though to a lesser extent. But then again this is Trudeau, he traded military technology (that could cost us billions due to the US government now reconsidering using our supplies for it) to China for a quarter million bribe using a loophole in our public official fundraising laws, and also suspended the Admiral responsible for the Atlantic fleet (the one that is three quarters of our Navy) for 11 months and counting with still no reason given, just because the Irving family didn't like an idea he had that would have saved the Canadian taxpayer hundreds of millions over the next 20 years because someone other then the Irvings would be profiting from it. That isn't speculation on my part either, everyone in the military knows it and is open about it since who wouldn't be when national security has been harmed due to a politician letting a business family harm it just because someone else would be doing well off of it (because that's the kicker, the Irvings wouldn't have lost a single penny over the admiral's plan, they're just that fucking petty).

I would have preferred Bernier since he and his politics are the type this country sorely needs right now, but Sheer won even if ever so slightly and he can't become Prime Minister soon enough. Trudeau is incompetent and has been a disaster for the nation. While he isn't as bad as the left pretends Trump is, anyone on the left actually calling Trump as bad as their political views would make them think he is are making no calls to trade for a reason. Hopefully foreigners will learn why despite his public image abroad Trudeau has approval ratings so low you'd think it was a Trump approval poll in a democratic country (which is most national polls these days).

Zontar:
Hate Trump all you want he's at least competent.

at what

This is the worst thing any leader has done in the past year. The absolute worst. Unforgivable. He needs to hang. Think of all those lives that are affected. Mother's, sons, daughters, dogs, cats, chinchillas, passing sparrows. They all have to bear this suffering now. How have we only heard of this injustice so late in the year? At our most vulnerable moment? Our innocent future gnerations will reap the horrors being inflicted here. I can't even...I can't...I just...why must you be so cruel? What have we, humanity done to deserve this?? ITS CHRISTMAS AND YOU'VE TAKEN EVERYTHING! FOOD STRAIGHT OUT MY FAMILY'S MOUTHS! YOU WILL PAYYYY DEARLY, JUSSSSSTIIIIN!!! JUST LIKE PRINCE CHARLES!! YOU WILL PAAAAYYYYYY!!!

Zontar:

erttheking:
He didn't blatantly drag his feet when it came to helping disaster victims?]/quote]You mean make a deal with the Democrats in the first act of true bipartisanship by a US president since the Reagan administration due to his own party refusing to get anything done, in one of the inarguable good things no one on either side can reasonably take issue wiht?

While neither respect woman it's hard to say something about a consensual encounter.

Wait the far left hates that now? Someone should send that memo out quickly.[quote] Can we trade?"

This but unirronically. Hate Trump all you want he's at least competent.

Yeah, competent presidents nominate judges who struggle to answer basic questions about how the court system works.

God I forgot what normal scandals looked like.

Zontar:
I would have preferred Bernier since he and his politics are the type this country sorely needs right now

The guy who left classified military documents at the house of the Hell's Angels honey pot he fell for? Are you fucking insane?

Bernier was the Conservatives' misguided attempt at propping him up a candidate who might win Quebec (hey, he speaks French, they'll vote for him, right?), and the fucking buffoon bungled up all of his chances by threatening supply management, which is what keeps Quebec dairy farmers (a Conservative bastion in the province) alive and prosperous. Even Kelly Leitch had a more competent approach to winning the next Federal elections than the Francophone memebertarian selling out our agricultural sector to the Americans and the Chinese biker-fucker, the guy lost a Primary that was literally handed to him, even with the support of Kevin O'Leary, he's the Jeb! of Canadian politics.

Well, realistically his only option that retains any dignity is resignation. I mean he could try and stay on or submit himself for an audit but thats just prolonging the inevitable. If he resigns now, keeps his head down for five years or so he can probaly re-enter politics if thats what he wants.

Silly boy.

Sonmi:

The guy who left classified military documents at the house of the Hell's Angels honey pot he fell for? Are you fucking insane?

What's insane is that we have a PM in office who's worst.

Bernier was the Conservatives' misguided attempt at propping him up a candidate who might win Quebec (hey, he speaks French, they'll vote for him, right?), and the fucking buffoon bungled up all of his chances by threatening supply management,

It's called ideological consistency. Hard concept for some in this country since we have a conservative party that isn't conservative, a liberal party that's illiberal, and a social democratic party that doesn't grasp the core concept of social democracy.

Gordon_4:
Well, realistically his only option that retains any dignity is resignation. I mean he could try and stay on or submit himself for an audit but thats just prolonging the inevitable. If he resigns now, keeps his head down for five years or so he can probaly re-enter politics if thats what he wants.

Silly boy.

As much as I'd love him to resign, over this or otherwise, due to the state of Canadian federal politics anything of the sort would basically be the end of his career. There's no coming back from a resignation in our politics, it's basically an early retirement that means the person doing it has lost the backing of the party. Now would be the best time to do it for the party since that would give it 2 years to establish its new leader as the PM Sheer will be facing in the 2019 election, but the act of having whoever would replace him have his administration start in such a way could lead to faith in the party resembling that of the early 00's. They stayed out of power for 4 consecutive elections in that time, one of which saw them barely scrape by as a third party with official party status.

Trudeau was supposed to be the unifying force the party needed, now he may be the one who tears it apart just like his father did after he left.

Zontar:
[]

It's called ideological consistency. Hard concept for some...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh man, I'm exhausted, this has been one of the busiest, most stressful weeks in work in my life, I'm currently apartment hunting which sucks balls because rents are goddamned insane in this city, my IBS is flaring up something terrible and I think I'm coming down with a cold so Zontar claiming other people struggle with consistency has made me feel better than a 2 bed apartment, a weeks holiday and enough lemsip to drown a cat ever could

Zontar:

I'm sorry, but I'll have to disagree. Trudeau might be a PR-obsessed backstabber (I'm never forgetting the fucking electoral reforms) who abides by the old Liberal tradition of taking bribes, but he's not as stupid as to literally be caught in bed with the member of a criminal organization, and worse still, be so pea-brained as to secret defense documents and leave them with her for an extended amount of time.

One is standard shithead politician fare, the other is a something that would fit in a Three Stooges skit.

Zontar:
It's called ideological consistency.

It's called being incompetent at reading the needs and desires of your electorate. It's "neglecting to visit the Rust Belt" levels of political myopia. It's not knowing what you're doing when you're applying for the most important job in Canada.

Besides, I thought you were against globalism? Why is it that you support the one candidate who built his own platform around dismantling what little protectionist measures we Canadians have, which would have bombed our agrarian self-sufficiency - effectively killing the industry, and sped up the Chinese housing market takeover, all in the name of the "free market" and of "global trade"? It's the complete opposite of the economic positions Trump is taking, positions that, if I'm not mistaken, you support.

altnameJag:
God I forgot what normal scandals looked like.

I forgot what consequences look like

And the fact that you have such a problem with his behavior but you're still pro-Trump speaks volumes about you. So congrats. No one gives a shit about Trudeau and no one gives a shit about Canada.

5 points to slytherin for pointing out an actual scandal.

-20 points from slytherin for everything else.

Zontar:

Are we in the same universe?

What the hell has trump done that's even remotely "competent"?

His only legislative wins are:

- Raising taxes on first-time home-buyers.
- Passing a law that lets companies freely sell your online information without your consent. 6% approval rating.
- Appointing a guy to the FCC who gutted net neutrality, when approval for that is terrible across the whole country.
- Ramming through tax cuts for major companies who've said they have no intention of creating new jobs or raising wages with it, and also raising taxes on the lower and middle class. Again, it's massively unpopular.
- Barely slightly managing to kill a major provision of the affordable healthcare act (after months of failing) when he promised a "Full repeal", and trying to treat it as a win at a time when people were just realizing that the ACA was a step up form the predatory system that existed before.

To say nothing of his signature "complete and total shutdown of mooslums entering the country" getting slapped down time and time again because it always ends up being unconstitutional. Or the "Ban all trans people from the military" gaffe. Or him playing chicken with north korea on twitter and escalating a hostage situation.

The only reason he's gotten anything done is because the GOP controls the whole damn government and they're all pushing for those things on their own because selling the people out to multinational corporations is the entire raison-d'etre for the party.

The only ideological consistency I see from you is "All non-conservatives bad! All conservatives good!" regardless of what they do. Trudeau could find a cure for cancer and you'd still throw shade at him for it, and trump could hold canada at gunpoint and rob us blind of our resources in a one-sided trade deal with the threat of war and you'd still love him.

Zontar:

Does "competent" mean something different up there in Canada?

Because this is a guy who has bungled almost everything he's touched. He couldn't even get a Republican elected in Alabama.

renegade7:

Zontar:

Speaking as a Canadian in the same province as him, I can assure you, we have the same definition for Competent.

Zontar's use of the word must either be a "Small town in the middle of nowhere" thing, or it must be a purely Zontar thing.

Zontar:

erttheking:

This but unirronically. Hate Trump all you want he's at least competent. There's a reason why the only good things the Trudeau administration have accomplished are things that where either grandfathered from Harper's or where done solely by one of his ministers with no input from him.

You're literally condemning Trudeau for something Trump has done but more.

Sonmi:

Zontar:

I'm sorry, but I'll have to disagree. Trudeau might be a PR-obsessed backstabber (I'm never forgetting the fucking electoral reforms) who abides by the old Liberal tradition of taking bribes, but he's not as stupid as to literally be caught in bed with the member of a criminal organization, and worse still, be so pea-brained as to secret defense documents and leave them with her for an extended amount of time.

One is standard shithead politician fare, the other is a something that would fit in a Three Stooges skit.

I disagree, Trudeau has compermised national security twice in the past year alone. First when he removed one of our highest ranking members of the armed forced because the fucking Irvings told him to (showing he's willing to go that far if his private backers ask him),
and second when he sold military technology both we and the US use for security to a nation we're currently in a cold war with in exchange for a bribe that, if the media treated him like they would a conservative, would be another Airbus Affair, only this time the PM would actually be guilty instead of just being in the same party as the wrongdoers.

Zontar:

It's called being incompetent at reading the needs and desires of your electorate. It's "neglecting to visit the Rust Belt" levels of political myopia. It's not knowing what you're doing when you're applying for the most important job in Canada.

Besides, I thought you were against globalism? Why is it that you support the one candidate who built his own platform around dismantling what little protectionist measures we Canadians have, which would have bombed our agrarian self-sufficiency - effectively killing the industry, and sped up the Chinese housing market takeover, all in the name of the "free market" and of "global trade"? It's the complete opposite of the economic positions Trump is taking, positions that, if I'm not mistaken, you support.

The reason I supported him despite that was 2 fold: first is the fact he doesn't have the sway to make the party go along with those economic plans (the libertarian wing of the party may now be the strongest, but it isn't overpowering yet as shown by the fact he lost). Second is the fact that his other policies, like the much needed immigration reform he wants that his country needs and will eventually adopt whether or not the Liberals and NDP want to pretend the 100 million plan is still achievable or that their own voter bases won't eventually hold a knife to their throats to get the reform passed, but he would speed up the process. Or his policies regarding speech. Like actually getting rid of many of the unconstitutional laws that have been passed over the past 20 years that violate Section 2, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 27, 28 and 29 of the Charter.

Honestly Sheer, if he adopts these policies (which do not conflict with his social-conservative leanings) will get my full backing, though even without it as it stands he's still a massive step up from Trudeau. Though again, given how that's true of even the Trump the left coast pretends exist, that isn't saying much.

Zontar:

This but unirronically. Hate Trump all you want he's at least comp- *Head explodes*

I'm sorry, but the laws of reality just collapsed in one specific point around a user's head. Quite unfortunate for him.

No, Zontar. He's a motherfucking idiot who can't string sentences together, lies and chests constantly, ruins lives because 'da black man' set them up, and put the twit in twitter. He is made entirely of garbage and it's possibly the most obvious thing even known about a single human being living today, apart from 'Putin is power-hungry' and 'Kim Jong Un is crazy'. Every day, in every way, Trump is worse and worse, and he started piss poor. Just...don't even bother.

Zontar:

Sonmi:

Zontar:

I disagree, Trudeau has compermised national security twice in the past year alone. First when he removed one of our highest ranking members of the armed forced because the fucking Irvings told him to (showing he's willing to go that far if his private backers ask him),
and second when he sold military technology both we and the US use for security to a nation we're currently in a cold war with in exchange for a bribe that, if the media treated him like they would a conservative, would be another Airbus Affair, only this time the PM would actually be guilty instead of just being in the same party as the wrongdoers.

Zontar:

The reason I supported him despite that was 2 fold: first is the fact he doesn't have the sway to make the party go along with those economic plans (the libertarian wing of the party may now be the strongest, but it isn't overpowering yet as shown by the fact he lost). Second is the fact that his other policies, like the much needed immigration reform he wants that his country needs and will eventually adopt whether or not the Liberals and NDP want to pretend the 100 million plan is still achievable or that their own voter bases won't eventually hold a knife to their throats to get the reform passed, but he would speed up the process. Or his policies regarding speech. Like actually getting rid of many of the unconstitutional laws that have been passed over the past 20 years that violate Section 2, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 27, 28 and 29 of the Charter.

Honestly Sheer, if he adopts these policies (which do not conflict with his social-conservative leanings) will get my full backing, though even without it as it stands he's still a massive step up from Trudeau. Though again, given how that's true of even the Trump the left coast pretends exist, that isn't saying much.

You support Trump because you hate the same people he does.

Zontar:
The reason I supported him...

...is because he represents opposition to whichever leftist movements are on your shitlist. As far as I can see from years on this forum you are almost entirely ideologically incoherent and just support whatever policies are held by whoever is today's champion of the anti-left.

It astonishes me that politicians can be so stupid as to think they can get away with this sort of thing.

Who the hell would not consider it likely to be problematic to have an all-expenses paid trip to an island owned by one of the richest people in the world, with plenty of business interests in your country? And who on earth is going to be convinced that a "friend" is someone you've barely ever met and have no history of significant personal communication with?

Agema:
It astonishes me that politicians can be so stupid as to think they can get away with this sort of thing.

Who the hell would not consider it likely to be problematic to have an all-expenses paid trip to an island owned by one of the richest people in the world, with plenty of business interests in your country? And who on earth is going to be convinced that a "friend" is someone you've barely ever met and have no history of significant personal communication with?

Dude, Trump exists.

No level of corruption is astonishing anymore.

At this point, who cares? Trudeau is still morally superior to any right-winger.

Lots of people criticized the idea of 'lesser of two evils' thinking, but with Trump, I am even more steadfast in this mindset. If Weiner or Franken were running for President, Id vote for them without a second thought. If we're gonna have a sex offender as President, might as well get the one that isnt also a bigot.

Saelune:
At this point, who cares? Trudeau is still morally superior to any right-winger.

Quick correction here: Trudeau is centre-right liberal, he's a right-winger too.

Sonmi:

Saelune:

Quick correction here: Trudeau is centre-right liberal, he's a right-winger too.

Admittedly I am not the most knowledgeable about him, but he pisses off Zontar, so...

Plus I focus more on equal rights left/right division.

Zontar:

I'm largely just piling on at this point, but the fact that Trump's ideological leanings and 'anti-liberal' approach alone are the deciding factors in your determining his level of competence is pretty telling. Because... well, what ELSE is there but that? He has no experience in office to speak of, no education that would have assisted him in office, not even an apparent interest or capacity to assimilate new knowledge 'on the job.' He has no competency in law, policy, infrastructure, hiring staff, (look at some of his Judicial picks, for the love of God,) diplomacy, public speaking or pretty much anything that doesn't involve signing executive orders and proudly holding them up for the cameras. He loses track of things constantly, at times contradicting himself, at others undercutting the people supposedly representing his administration, and at yet others simply forgetting where his military was bombing on a particular day.

I mean... competent at WHAT, exactly? Golf?

aegix drakan:

renegade7:

Zontar:

Speaking as a Canadian in the same province as him, I can assure you, we have the same definition for Competent.

Zontar's use of the word must either be a "Small town in the middle of nowhere" thing, or it must be a purely Zontar thing.

Speaking as a Canadian who spent a few years in a small town in the middle of nowhere, this is definitely a Zontar thing.

SeventhSigil:

Speaking as a Canadian who spent a few years in a small town in the middle of nowhere, this is definitely a Zontar thing.

Good to know!

I technically spent a few months in a remote suburb on a mountain while working for a small indie studio this summer...But Considering I was basically a shut-in the whole time as I was away from all my friends...I didn't think that experience counted.

Trudeau is pretty incompetent. The difference is, unlike Trump, Trudeau still cares enough to put on a facade of competence sometimes and this is coming from someone that voted for him.

ex951753:
Trudeau still cares enough to put on a facade of competence sometimes

I think you mean he tries. There's a difference between trying to put up a facade and doing so, and he's pretty safely in the former.

God damn it, we could have had Marc Garneau as PM instead. I may disagree with him politically on quite a few things but he at least knows what he's doing.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here