Has Steve Bannon lost his mind

Steve Bannon of Breitbart who worked for the Trump campaign as chief executive in its final three months then White House chief strategist for seven months, has given his view on a meeting between some of Trump's top guys and foreign government members

The meeting was revealed by the New York Times in July last year, prompting Trump Jr to say no consequential material was produced. Soon after, Wolff writes, Bannon remarked mockingly: "The three senior guys in the campaign thought it was a good idea to meet with a foreign government inside Trump Tower in the conference room on the 25th floor - with no lawyers. They didn't have any lawyers.

"Even if you thought that this was not treasonous, or unpatriotic, or bad shit, and I happen to think it's all of that, you should have called the FBI immediately.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/03/donald-trump-russia-steve-bannon-michael-wolff

Donald's response

Steve Bannon has nothing to do with me or my presidency. When he was fired, he not only lost his job, he lost his mind. Steve was a staffer who worked for me after I had already won the nomination by defeating seventeen candidates, often described as the most talented field ever assembled in the Republican party.

Now that he is on his own, Steve is learning that winning isn't as easy as I make it look. Steve had very little to do with our historic victory, which was delivered by the forgotten men and women of this country

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42560520

Is Steve just being grumpy because he got sacked and lashing out with his opinion - although I don't see a date for when his interview with the author was? He may have known it was coming, dislike the people who had more influence over Donald than him or was simply giving a rare moment of truth.

Being in the position he was in on staff and Breitbart no doubt recieving favourable access, he may know where a few of the bodies are buried. If he takes Trump's response badly could things escalte?

So from what I understand Bannon come from an interview he did with some journalist called Michael Woff who talked his way into being in the white house and taking notes on the first few month of the Trump administration. He's going to publish a book on the 9th about it, from hundreds of interview he had with staffer.

It sounds like people in the administration were just so amateurish that they just blabbered there mouth to this guy and told him all kind of juicy details.

So you have that book coming out and Mueller investigation getting closer and it seems like a lot of people are sweating quite a bit, including Trump himself.

Honestly? I'm just kind of sitting here laughing. Watching the mental gymnastics in the typical alt-right haunts with their denizens tripping their way through the stages of loss while twisting their mind pretzels into more insane shapes makes it all the more entertaining.

Who would have dared think that a bunch of snake oil salesmen would begin turning on each other when things started going downhill?

While Russia's tampering in this election wasn't ever in question in my mind, (Hi, France!), I've started to wonder the level of the meddling.

In short, 2016 was going to be a win for Russia no matter how it played out.

If Hillary won, all they had to do was leak info about contentious things and the Republicans would have done what the Republicans do. Her election would have turned more states Red due to the idea that she was corrupt and Russia just happened to have files to prove it. US destabilized, here comes Russia.

Trump won. He's spent this year gutting American protections, going back on promises from protecting Medicare and medicaid (Reality) to not touching our public lands (Reality). He's gone on record in saying he wants to take hate groups off of the terrorist list, and yet here comes the FBI saying "it is very likely Black Identity Extremist (BIE) perceptions of police brutality against African Americans spurred an increase in premeditated, retaliatory lethal violence against law enforcement and will very likely serve as justification for such violence".

It's been a good long while since the nation was this split. Even under Obama. And Trump is at the Head and the end of all of it. US destabilized, here comes Russia.

Now. Here's the crux of my argument. Trump doesn't need to actually be apart of the collusion for all of this to happen. For the record, I believe he was because all of the other Russian ties happened before Trump even ran. But that's neither here nor there. Donald Trump running was just the perfect outcome for Russia, keeping with the idea that he's an innocent idiot (I don't believe this, but this is playing Devil's Advocate).

Russian Bots are proven to be real and still operating. Three people have already been linked to Shady Russian dealings in Trump's camp. Is Bannon paid off to say these things? I don't know. Possibly. I have to keep the possibly in my mind because I believe the Trumps are guilty as sin but I need the court to prove that, not just my feelings. But whatever the truth is... Russia won and won hard. No matter the outcome of the election, they were going to win.

I actually have actual video of Trump and Bannon's last meeting

If you lie with rabid capitalist wolves, expect to get sold out at a cheap moment's notice. Or however that saying went.

So hold on, which of these people am I supposed to consider fake news now?

TrulyBritish:
So hold on, which of these people am I supposed to consider fake news now?

That debate is currently being had in the Breitbart comment section.

The real story here isn't the book (I don't trust political memoirs or exposes, as a general rule) but Trump's response to it.

DJT:
Steve Bannon has nothing to do with me or my presidency. When he was fired, he not only lost his job, he lost his mind. Steve was a staffer who worked for me after I had already won the nomination by defeating seventeen candidates, often described as the most talented field ever assembled in the Republican party.

Now that he is on his own, Steve is learning that winning isn't as easy as I make it look. Steve had very little to do with our historic victory, which was delivered by the forgotten men and women of this country.

That's, uh...that's a harsh takedown, Donald. You sure you want to swing that hard at the guy who runs Breitbart? You could've just said "fake news" and moved on like you do with everything else.

As for Bannon, no, I don't think he's lost his mind. I mean, the guy was pretty fucking crazy to start with, what with his delusions of starting a goddamn Fourth Reich in the US. What I think has happened is that after Bannon went all-in supporting Roy Moore in Alabama and Trump followed him, both of them came out burned when the guy lost. Bannon suddenly looked like less of a diabolical mastermind and more of a schlub out of his depth; Trump looked like a patsy who got played by Bannon.

Bannon's also pretty clearly positioning himself outside the blast radius of the Russia probe, so he's thinking long-term. See also: everything Vice-President Pence does and does not do, because that is the guy to watch, mark my words.

Saelune:

I fucking lol'd, man.

These go going at each other. Oh me oh may oh my it's going to be fun.

And Trump's lawyers have officially made cease and desist orders against Bannon. Oh, I hope he ignores them.

As I always say, spite is the single best reason to do anything.

If Trump ever does get impeached it won't be because of some patriotic duty, it'll be because he pisses off the wrong (or right) people. Spite motherfucker.

Interesting (or terrifying) bit of news that has gotten drowned out by the Bannon/Trump spat; there are enterprising people on Twitter who track the President's tweets and compare their timing and content to the schedule of cable news networks. They have discovered some interesting things.

The President literally gets his information from Fox News. That's the dynamic here. Normally, the President acts and the media reacts. That dynamic has been inverted; Fox News pundits can essentially determine what the President will tweet about by making it a headline topic in their shows, because they know he is watching them uncritically.

And, y'know, this isn't really new. People have noticed that Trump tweets most often during certain cable news time slots, and he sometimes tweets exactly what had been broadcast, word-for-word. But as time has gone on, Trump's list of preferred cable news shows has shrunk, because more and more of them have upset him in some way by reporting on some shitty thing he has done. Now, it's basically all Fox News.

And that suddenly became a lot scarier than it was before, because Donald Trump tweeted a nuclear dick-measuring contest based on a story reported on Fox News. So Fox News says "North Korea did this thing!" and Trump's immediate reaction is "My nuclear cock is much larger and more powerful than his nuclear cock! I will cock-bomb him into oblivion! My radioactive semen will drown the Korean peninsula!"[1]

Fox News really oughta recognise that Trump is incapable of distinguishing between the severity of a feud with Joe Scarborough and a feud with Kim Jong-un. He treats the entire thing as if it's a game on his phone, one that he wins by getting the most retweets and seeing his face plastered on the news.

[1] Lightly paraphrased.

bastardofmelbourne:
Bannon suddenly looked like less of a diabolical mastermind and more of a schlub out of his depth

Imagine that. Of course that's how he's always looked to some of us. When we deign to look, which is not often.

Sad how Fake News have managed to build up this low tier hustler in the minds of the gullible general public. But the top-down mindset is so strong with many people that they are completely unable to conceive of others rejecting the pre-approved script without some mystical Svengali using their supernatural powers of seduction to lead them astray.

Normally, I love watching two lying scumbags tearing into each other, but the freaking presidency is involved.

Obama's major scandal at this point in his presidency was saying it was stupid that cops arrested a professor for breaking into his own house, for reference.

StatusNil:

bastardofmelbourne:
Bannon suddenly looked like less of a diabolical mastermind and more of a schlub out of his depth

Imagine that. Of course that's how he's always looked to some of us. When we deign to look, which is not often.

Sad how Fake News have managed to build up this low tier hustler in the minds of the gullible general public. But the top-down mindset is so strong with many people that they are completely unable to conceive of others rejecting the pre-approved script without some mystical Svengali using their supernatural powers of seduction to lead them astray.

Dude got posted to the National Security Council. I don't think the "fake news" people taking him seriously because of that was unwarranted.

StatusNil:

Look, I don't think any of the left-leaning posters on here are guilty of talking up Bannon too much. My opinion of the man has always been that he deserves to be fired out of a cannon.

In the early days of the Trump administration there was certainly fear that Bannon would plunge America into a dark age of neo-fascist nationalism, but as time wore on it became increasingly apparent that both he and Trump were out of their depth. The emotional dynamic of the Trump administration has followed an entertaining curve; first, shock at the results of the election, then fear as people contemplate the consequences, then bewilderment as the administration proves too incompetent to be properly evil, then reassurance as its most ambitious goals are curtailed by ignorance, then smug vindication as Trump consistently flips on nearly every half-decent promise he made, then entertainment as he fumbles from one self-made scandal to another, then eventually sheer exhaustion at the thought of how long everybody has to put up with this shit.

No-one is afraid that Trump or Bannon are going to lead America into Star Wars fascism territory anymore, mainly because over the past year both of them have conclusively that they are simply not competent enough to pull it off. The real fear with Trump now is how much damage he's going to do before the country can get rid of him.

altnameJag:
Dude got posted to the National Security Council. I don't think the "fake news" people taking him seriously because of that was unwarranted.

Not talking about his nominal power, but his ability. His legendary "evil cunning".

bastardofmelbourne:

No-one is afraid that Trump or Bannon are going to lead America into Star Wars fascism territory anymore, mainly because over the past year both of them have conclusively that they are simply not competent enough to pull it off. The real fear with Trump now is how much damage he's going to do before the country can get rid of him.

My people have a saying: "I told you so."

Besides, Trump himself is no fascist. Sure, he's an authoritarian personality, but there's a difference. An authoritarian just wants to be personally calling the shots, a totalitarian (which fascists properly understood are) wants to control everything, including thought. "Everything within The State, nothing outside of The State", I believe was the Italian formulation.

Incidentally, Trump couldn't resist putting another half-assed, completely irrelevant lie in his statement - y'know, beneath all the other ones about how Bannon was never that important and Trump never really liked him anyway.

DJT:
Steve had very little to do with our historic victory, which was delivered by the forgotten men and women of this country. Yet Steve had everything to do with the loss of a Senate seat in Alabama held for more than thirty years by Republicans.

The seat was not held by Republicans for "more than thirty years." Before Doug Jones, the last Democrat to win in Alabama was actually Richard Shelby in 1992, twenty-five years ago. Shelby initially ran and won two elections as a Democrat - in 1986 and 1992 - before switching parties in 1994.

I imagine the President got confused because Shelby has spent the last two decades as a Republican, but it would be weird if he was because he's supposed to be smart and all, and he's also switched parties before.

@StatusNil: "Your people"? And who might that be? No Trump supporter anywhere has ANY right or grounds to say "I told you so" because WE TOLD -YOU- So.

The only difference between Trump and a fascist is the people on the left who fight back.

You picked the wrong side and now its caving in on itself and I will enjoy burying the ashes.

Whatever else Bannon is, he's also a competent business leader, who managed to make a shunned extreme right news site into one of the most influential news sites in the US. The man isn't stupid, and he has probably realized that the more he can distance himself from the Trump administration and blame them for any missteps he might have done, the better his positions will be to remain an important voice in American politics after the Trump administration crashes and burns.

All in all, a classic opportunist move. Make sure to jump ship and disavow the crew as much as you can before the sinking is discovered.

StatusNil:

So you purposely supported a candidate for President of the United States who is so incompetent that he is single-handily ruining the country's diplomatic relations, getting into dick measuring contests with paranoid, megalomaniac nuclear-armed dictators, tearing apart the country, and instituting domestic policies that hurt everyone in the country who isn't rich, straight, white, and male? I ask because you clearly support(ed) him, and, by your comment here, you knew he was this incompetent... Why?

StatusNil:

Besides, Trump himself is no fascist. Sure, he's an authoritarian personality, but there's a difference. An authoritarian just wants to be personally calling the shots, a totalitarian (which fascists properly understood are) wants to control everything, including thought. "Everything within The State, nothing outside of The State", I believe was the Italian formulation.

Attempting to control the press by threatening to "open up the libel laws" to pursue organizations that publish stories he doesn't like, creating his own version of reality and "alternate facts" to feed to his base, claiming all unflattering news as "fake news," issuing policy directives to government departments such as the CDC to avoid statements like "evidence-based," outright purging government databases containing info about topics that he doesn't care about such as climate change, calling his own intelligence committee his enemy because they find info he doesn't like, and encouraging violence against people protesting him and his policies doesn't count as totalitarian to you?

StatusNil:

Told me...what? I don't follow. You told me that Trump was incompetent? I already knew that.

StatusNil:

Set aside the semantics, for a moment. We can debate whether "authoritarian" means "fascist" or "totalitarian," but the fact is that he's monumentally unsuited for the position he is in. If he'd been elected in some other country with weaker democratic institutions, like Russia or Iraq or some place in South America, he'd be a goddamn dictator by now.

As it is, he's just a wannabe dictator. That's a good thing, but only because it's not as bad as it could be. There's still a hell of a lot to improve.

And as another question - Bannon spoke nothing but bullshit when he was involved in the campaign, and when he was at Breitbart before that. Why are we suddenly taking him at his word now?

ObsidianJones:
While Russia's tampering in this election wasn't ever in question in my mind, (Hi, France!), I've started to wonder the level of the meddling.

Bingo. They never cared about the result as much as they cared about the discord.

Catnip1024:
And as another question - Bannon spoke nothing but bullshit when he was involved in the campaign, and when he was at Breitbart before that. Why are we suddenly taking him at his word now?

ObsidianJones:

Bingo. They never cared about the result as much as they cared about the discord.

The discord is nice, yeah, but that's not to say the result isn't still very important.

Mind you, if Trump makes the wrong mistakes it could cost Russia as well as the US.

Catnip1024:

Because all his previous BS had something in common: it pushed the reactionary right and alt-right agenda. This new statement is worth of rising some eyebrows at least.

bastardofmelbourne:

StatusNil:

Told me...what? I don't follow. You told me that Trump was incompetent? I already knew that.

Maybe it's the alt-right way of just claiming to know what the score was all along, even if it's completely different from whatever they were claiming the week before. If they're smart, they can sound gnomic and vague so it's hard to call them on it.

According to Trump his mind was safe and sound when he was a racial supremacist who had as much political credibility as a bag of rocks; the only reason Trump's angry at Bannon now is because Bannon criticized him.

In short, Bannon never had a mind to lose in the first place.

Saelune:

Saelune, how could you?!

...that's an insult to Megatron.

FalloutJack:

Saelune:

Saelune, how could you?!

And to Starscream. At least Starscream has some smug charisma about him.

FalloutJack:
Saelune, how could you?!

Donald Trump would be approximately 860% more worthy of being President if he could transform into a gun.

bastardofmelbourne:

FalloutJack:
Saelune, how could you?!

Donald Trump would be approximately 860% more worthy of being President if he could transform into a gun.

Nah because if Trump were a gun he'd say you couldn't fire him because of bone spurs =P

bastardofmelbourne:

FalloutJack:
Saelune, how could you?!

Could you imagine the hardcore boner republican would have for a candidate who could turn into a gun!

I say that, but if there was a candidate that could turn into a cheetah (with rocket) I'd vote for him pretty much no matter what.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here