So a year of President Trump in office has passed.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I like for someone to categorize what this man has done since he assumed office right until the end of the year in December 31st.

Is he any worse or better than when George Bush Jr. in his first year?

The only thing I know is the attempted Repeal of Obamacare, the posturing against North Korea, and the Tax Cut, the latter I don't know what the outcome will happen unless explained.

Biggest things I can think of.

1) Attempt at a travel ban. Which was voted down. But might be legal again(have not kept up with it).

2) Failing to repeal Obama care but got rid of the penalties for not having insurgence(That second part I'm okay with, though it does fuck up the system currently in place)

3) Got rid of net neutrality

4) Cut funding to a bunch of organizations that I don't have the motivation to make a list of but I'm sure someone will.

5) Fire everyone.

Feel free to add, modify, and elaborate at your leisure.

He managed to seemingly piss everyone off and effectively murdered "Religion and Politics" forum and turned it into "The Trump show (guest starring Brexit)".

As for the tax cut, I've read a pretty interesting article about it today (in hebrew, but the google translation looks pretty good:
https://israeleconomicreadings.wordpress.com/2018/01/03/%D7%A8%D7%A4%D7%95%D7%A8%D7%9E%D7%AA-%D7%94%D7%9E%D7%A1-%D7%91%D7%90%D7%A8%D7%94%D7%91-%D7%94%D7%98%D7%95%D7%91-%D7%94%D7%A8%D7%A2-%D7%95%D7%94%D7%9E%D7%9B%D7%95%D7%A2%D7%A8/
one day I should learn how to do quick links). Which summarizes the effects as "who the fuck knows in the long term".

inu-kun:
He managed to seemingly piss everyone off and effectively murdered "Religion and Politics" forum and turned it into "The Trump show (guest starring Brexit)".

As for the tax cut, I've read a pretty interesting article about it today (in hebrew, but the google translation looks pretty good:
https://israeleconomicreadings.wordpress.com/2018/01/03/%D7%A8%D7%A4%D7%95%D7%A8%D7%9E%D7%AA-%D7%94%D7%9E%D7%A1-%D7%91%D7%90%D7%A8%D7%94%D7%91-%D7%94%D7%98%D7%95%D7%91-%D7%94%D7%A8%D7%A2-%D7%95%D7%94%D7%9E%D7%9B%D7%95%D7%A2%D7%A8/
one day I should learn how to do quick links). Which summarizes the effects as "who the fuck knows in the long term".

I sometimes wish we discuss more politics in a historical context.

I made a thread about The Ideological Perspective of the Napoleonic Wars once upon a time here.

Huh, I dunno, what did happen during Bush's first year? Aside from, you know, 9/11 and being a dick about abortion.

Bush was a clown and broke the American economy but I'd still take him over Trump. That said, I was promised tanks rolling down the streets, death camps and the end of days as results of the election. So all in all pretty uneventful.

Samtemdo8:
I like for someone to categorize what this man has done since he assumed office right until the end of the year in December 31st.

Uh, okay.

- There's the tax cut plan, which will permanently cut taxes for rich people, temporarily cut taxes for everyone else, and increase the federal deficit by at least a trillion dollars over the coming decade.
- There's Justice Gorsuch being appointed to the Supreme Court, as well as a bum-rush of other appointees to federal courts (which has resulted in some embarrassingly unqualified candidates being put before the Senate).
- There's, uh...

Well, those are the two big ones. I mean, he's tried to do a ton of other shit, but none of it has been good. Even the tax cut plan is only good if you're rich, and his appointment of Gorsuch is only good if you're a conservative.

To be honest, his failures are more of a relief than his successes. There's no wall on the Mexican border, nor is there ever likely to be one, because Trump never explained how he'd pay for it. There has been no blanket ban on Muslim immigration, nor was such a ban ever shown to be necessary or justified. There have been no mass deportations of illegal immigrants, because it's logistically impossible and because Trump himself is a fan of employing illegal immigrants so he can pay them less. Obamacare is still where it is, despite Trump's attempts to sabotage it by ending critical insurance subsidies and removing the individual insurance mandate.

As for his good promises, they were vaporware. The $1 trillion infrastructure plan was re-scaled to $200 billion and then vanished entirely. There are more US troops in Afghanistan than there were under Obama, and the Saudi monarchy has been emboldened and supported by Trump to the point where they've created a humanitarian catastrophe in Yemen. North Korea obviously still has nukes and obviously is putting them on missiles.

In general, the reputation of the US worldwide literally could not be lower, there is a serious threat of nuclear war for the first time in three decades, civilian casualties in the Middle East have skyrocketed, and Donald Trump is personally making quite a lot of money.

Samtemdo8:
Is he any worse or better than when George Bush Jr. in his first year?

Way, way worse.

The only thing Trump has in his favour is that 9/11 happened on Bush's watch. Other than that, Trump has just been an ordinary Republican fiscal conservative slathered in a thick, greasy coating of "being Donald Trump."

Samtemdo8:
The only thing I know is the attempted Repeal of Obamacare, the posturing against North Korea, and the Tax Cut, the latter I don't know what the outcome will happen unless explained.

Oh, the outcome is easy to explain.

- Corporate profits will go up due to the massively slashed corporate tax rate, which will increase dividends (income) for anyone who holds shares in a corporation.
- The federal deficit will increase dramatically over the next ten years, making it harder for the government to pay for anything.
- Middle-class families will see a significant (~$2,000) tax cut in 2018, but those savings will erode annually due to the staggered expiration of several tax credits. By 2025, middle-class families will be seeing an overall tax increase.
- The new, lower rate for pass-through businesses will provide an incentive for large corporations to restructure themselves as pass-throughs, as well as an incentive for individuals to file their taxes as if they were a pass-through.
- Donald Trump and his family will personally save about a billion dollars over the next ten years.

TrulyBritish:
Huh, I dunno, what did happen during Bush's first year? Aside from, you know, 9/11 and being a dick about abortion.

A round of massive tax cuts that set the stage for Paul Ryan's decision to use budget reconciliation to pass everything. They also set a special one-time 5% repatriation tax rate for any corporations with overseas tax havens to encourage them to bring that money back into the US, a decision that resulted in a short-term income boost and - in the long term - convinced corporations to simply continue hoarding money in overseas tax havens and wait for another repatriation holiday.

The Bush tax cuts, in particular, are enlightening for anyone curious about the impact of tax rates on the economy. Reagan cut taxes, and the economy boomed; Clinton raised taxes, and the economy continued to boom. Bush cut taxes, and the economy went into a colossal and catastrophic recession. Obama raised taxes to pay for the ACA, and the economy went into a slow but steady recovery. Tax rates are simply not as important as many people think they are; economies are complex entities, and their success or failure cannot be attributed to the fiddling of one dial.

inu-kun:

This is true. We have talked about Trump relentlessly and, to a degree, pointlessly. Nearly all threads in R&P right now relate to Trump in some relatively direct way (to be fair, he is president of the us) and between a third and half of them feature him in the thread title. A lot of it is not that productive either and is just gossip about the guy.

Eh, to be honest, 9/11 would have probably improved Trump's year. It would have distracted people, and possibly even given his crazy shit some backing.

But yeah, he ruined R&P. Now the rest of the world is essentially morphed into the European General thread.

The economy is doing surprisingly well. I don't honestly know if there is a good way to gauge whether Trump helped or hindered that or by how much. Many huge corporations are announcing the substantial ways they are passing down the benefits of the tax cut to their employees and/or customers. These actions are likely just seizing an opportunity for some good PR and may not last once the political discussion moves elsewhere, but at least it's nice in the short term.

Only nice thing I can think of at the moment.

Quoting from the thread about Trump and his mental condition:

Catnip1024:
But, as a US ally, you have to play the long game. You don't want to burn bridges over a 4-year spell of madness.

This is true, but works both ways. You don't want to build expensive bridges when there's a 4-year spell of competency, given that you can no longer trust the US not to elect a Trump. The US's credibility is a mess, from here on everyone will have to wonder "what if the next PotUS is another Trump?". Long term commitments aren't going to appeal.

Thaluikhain:
This is true, but works both ways. You don't want to build expensive bridges when there's a 4-year spell of competency, given that you can no longer trust the US not to elect a Trump. The US's credibility is a mess, from here on everyone will have to wonder "what if the next PotUS is another Trump?". Long term commitments aren't going to appeal.

Cross-thread quoting? What sorcery is this?

There is always the risk of a continuous spell of nutjobs, and that is something respective states will have to weigh up. The US has lost some clout through stepping back from agreements, but it is undeniably still a major global player, and, from the point of view of a lesser nation trying to decide which of the major powers to cozy up to, probably still a better bet than China or Russia. Because Trump is for 3/7 more years, whereas Putin is pretty much for life.

And then again, maybe Trump has just sped up the inevitable. The US has been losing ground as top dog for decades now, and economically the world could do without the US a lot more easily than it could do without China, for instance. Europe is heading off and doing it's own thing now that the USSR spectre of doom has retreated over the horizon somewhat. India is becoming a major player in the world of computing. US companies are having to resort to protectionism rather than open competition (Boeing). The world was always going to move on, it's just doing it a little quicker now.

bastardofmelbourne:
Way, way worse.

The only thing Trump has in his favour is that 9/11 happened on Bush's watch. Other than that, Trump has just been an ordinary Republican fiscal conservative slathered in a thick, greasy coating of "being Donald Trump."

Stop rehabilitating George W. Bush just to slam Donald Trump. He's not "way, way worse." He is regarded as worse for mostly frivolous reasons; substantively, they're both moral black holes.

I think he has done enough damage to America that in any other western country a civil war would have started by now.

Seanchaidh:

bastardofmelbourne:
Way, way worse.

Stop rehabilitating George W. Bush just to slam Donald Trump. He's not "way, way worse." He is regarded as worse for mostly frivolous reasons; substantively, they're both moral black holes.

No. Trump is way way worse because by virtue of the fact he is an ignorant, lazy, intellectually bankrupt buffoon with no understanding or experience of how government works, who has stood by while the incompetent fools he has surrounded himself with have systematically run down the US Federal Government.

Climate change data disappearing. Scientists fired. State Department decimated. No ambassador to South Korea. They let a reporter have free access to the White House for a year: how many Russian spies got the same amount of access?

The United States Federal government powers on by sheer inertia. Its too big to "fall over": but in the space of a year Trump has done so much damage it will probably take years to fix. Other countries are holding off dealing with the US until Trump has gone. the United States is losing its status as the "leader of the free world."

Bush never came close to dealing the amount of damage that Trump is doing. And Bush was bad.

But this never happened under Bush.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/07/department-of-energy-risks-michael-lewis

That's just the Department of Energy. It happened everywhere. Decades of knowledge gone. Departments purged and eliminated. Replaced by political hacks who don't have a clue.

If Trump doesn't do something amazingly stupid in the next three years, and if the people of the United States don't vote Trump back in, then whoever is the next President of the United States will have a huge rebuilding job to do. The worst thing is we really don't know how much damage has been done yet.

starbear:
No. Trump is way way worse because by virtue of the fact he is an ignorant, lazy, intellectually bankrupt buffoon with no understanding or experience of how government works

For knowledge, initiative, and intelligence to be positive traits, you need to be trying to do something good to begin with.

Seanchaidh:

starbear:
No. Trump is way way worse because by virtue of the fact he is an ignorant, lazy, intellectually bankrupt buffoon with no understanding or experience of how government works

For knowledge, initiative, and intelligence to be positive traits, you need to be trying to do something good to begin with.

Thanks for the random aside: but your sentence has nothing to do with what I said.

starbear:

Seanchaidh:

starbear:

Thanks for the random aside: but your sentence has nothing to do with what I said.

It has everything to do with what you said. Having understanding or experience of how government works, being ignorant or lazy, are all quite irrelevant to the quality of a modern Republican administration (or actually make it worse). They aren't trying to do good things.

Seanchaidh:

starbear:

Seanchaidh:

It has everything to do with what you said. Having understanding or experience of how government works, being ignorant or lazy, are all quite irrelevant to the quality of a modern Republican administration (or actually make it worse). They aren't trying to do good things.

You are still talking to yourself. You are welcome to do that: but maybe don't quote me next time, as you clearly aren't talking to me.

I was comparing the Bush administration to the Trump one. You claimed the Trump administration was "not way, way worse": I disagree, and made a case for why I disagree with you, including a cite. Whether or not they are "trying to do good things" is utterly irrelevant to my post.

Seanchaidh:

I didn't mean to exonerate Bush; I just believe that Trump is way, way worse than Bush.

Bush was a template of a conservative Republican - willing to stoop to dirty tricks in the primaries, beholden to evangelical morality and corporate interests, elected to a position beyond his competence and thoroughly controlled by key members of his administration, most of whom had ties to businesses and lobbyists that profited immensely from the administration's policies.

All of that is bad. And in many ways, Bush paved the path for Trump. It was under Bush that the Senate started using budget reconciliation rules to pass legislation along strict party lines, which resulted in the creation of a dysfunctional tax cut package that was only even able to exist because all of its provisions were set to expire in ten year's time. It was under Bush that the disdain for scientific expertise and the denial of climate change research really took root in American conservatism, leading to the transformation of many previously-respectable conservative think tanks into partisan propaganda machines and the evisceration of qualified scientists from many federal agencies. It was under Bush that the conservative media bubble - where Fox News is gospel and everything else is liberal propaganda - expanded and fortified itself.

All of these developments made Trump possible, and in many ways Trump is simply all of those developments taken to the logical extreme. From "the media has a liberal bias" to "all negative coverage of me is fake news." From "scientists are sometimes wrong and skepticism is needed" to "smart people cannot be trusted and global warming is fake." From "we have a surplus, so we can afford a tax cut" to "our tax cut will magically eradicate the deficit."

So I don't think Bush isn't culpable. I think Bush - and the Republican party in general over my lifetime - are totally responsible for Trump. They lie regularly, pass unpopular policy all the time, never take responsibility for the devastating effect of their missteps and turn to racist scaremongering and social conservatism whenever people start taking too close a look at their legislation. They deliberately adopted this strategy for short-term political success and to meet the demands of their rich donors, and they never stopped and thought about the long-term, because the long-term effect was to create an entire generation of aging Republican voters who don't trust smart people but remain immensely credulous to anything that comes out of a Republican's mouth. (Trump is one of those voters, mind.)

And that's how we get to Trump. But just because Bush is responsible for Trump doesn't mean the two are equally shit. Bush is the descent; Trump is the nadir. Bush had a laundry list of flaws, but he listened to advisers, cared about his myopic conservative Christian morals, and had the self-awareness to actually recognise when he'd fucked something up after the fact. Trump has every flaw on Bush's list with an added post-script full of entirely new flaws that no-one even thought existed before Trump showed up and informed them that yes, it was possible for a President to use too much Twitter, and yes, one day you will have to worry about the President comparing the size of his nuclear button to the size of Kim Jong-un's nuclear button.

tl;dr - I stand by my "way, way, worse" assessment, because I believe it is always possible for bad to become worse. Although I'll admit that I'm baffled - and somewhat afraid - to consider how much worse Trump (or his successor) could get.

starbear:

Seanchaidh:

What I believe he was getting at was that the mild advantages Bush had over Trump in areas of general competence are not relevant to assessing whether he was a "good President" because Bush's agenda was fundamentally harmful to the country, so evaluating his competence in executing it was just splitting hairs.

ex951753:
Bush was a clown and broke the American economy but I'd still take him over Trump.

To be fair, I don't think Bush broke the US economy.

The mortgage disaster could be partly pinned on the drastic reduction in interest rates due to the slowdown of the US economy in the early 2000s, but interest rates were up to Alan Greenspan, not GWB. Many of the other faultlines in the US economy came from finance industry innovations, or laws that Bush did not put forward (and in some cases predated his presidency).

GWB ran up the national debt significantly when he probably shouldn't have, but whilst that will have made it harder for the USA to respond to the crisis, it didn't cause the crisis either.

Agema:

ex951753:
Bush was a clown and broke the American economy but I'd still take him over Trump.

The mortgage disaster could be partly pinned on the drastic reduction in interest rates due to the slowdown of the US economy in the early 2000s, but interest rates were up to Alan Greenspan, not GWB. Many of the other faultlines in the US economy came from finance industry innovations, or laws that Bush did not put forward (and in some cases predated his presidency).

GWB ran up the national debt significantly when he probably shouldn't have, but whilst that will have made it harder for the USA to respond to the crisis, it didn't cause the crisis either.

Could he not fairly be blamed for not using the early years of his presidency for not trying to avert that, or for not doing enough once it happened?

I've already delared Dubya no longer the stupid one. He still opened up a war in the wrong country, but he is clearly somewhat better than Trump.

Thaluikhain:

Agema:

ex951753:

Could he not fairly be blamed for not using the early years of his presidency for not trying to avert that, or for not doing enough once it happened?

Unless he is a precog, no. If I recall correctly very few economists actually noticed what was going on and were treated like mad men/women for voicing concern.

bastardofmelbourne:

starbear:

Seanchaidh:

What I believe he was getting at was that the mild advantages Bush had over Trump in areas of general competence are not relevant to assessing whether he was a "good President" because Bush's agenda was fundamentally harmful to the country, so evaluating his competence in executing it was just splitting hairs.

You can only make that point by deleting the end of my sentence and changing the context of what I said entirely. My point wasn't just that Trump is "ignorant, lazy, intellectually bankrupt buffoon with no understanding or experience of how government works": its that Trump is "ignorant, lazy, intellectually bankrupt buffoon with no understanding or experience of how government works, who has stood by while the incompetent fools he has surrounded himself with have systematically run down the US Federal Government."

I was given assurances of two things by the American left: that he's be impeached 6 months ago, and that by now we'd have seen nuked flying.

I am not going to lie and pretend I'm disappointed.

Here's to 7 more years.

Zontar:
I was given assurances of two things by the American left: that he's be impeached 6 months ago, and that by now we'd have seen nuked flying.

Here's to 7 more years.

To be fair, he's done a number of impeachable things. (Hell, he probably spends more tax payers dollars a week playing golf than ten Trudeau Bahama vacations) We just need Conservative support and they're too happy with him on their knee.

Have fun with Trudeau though! There's no limit to how long he can serve. Here's to 20 more years!

starbear:
You can only make that point by deleting the end of my sentence and changing the context of what I said entirely. My point wasn't just that Trump is "ignorant, lazy, intellectually bankrupt buffoon with no understanding or experience of how government works": its that Trump is "ignorant, lazy, intellectually bankrupt buffoon with no understanding or experience of how government works, who has stood by while the incompetent fools he has surrounded himself with have systematically run down the US Federal Government."

That last part is an important qualifier. The executive branch is witnessing an unprecedented brain drain because of the Trump administration. We've lost most of our senior scientists and almost our entire senior diplomatic staff. That's the sort of thing that takes years, if not generations to recover from. All because the stupid people had to declare, "My ignorance is equal to your education!" and the lobbyists preyed on that to enrich themselves.

My one comfort about Trump's election is that in terms of broad policy he was nearly completely ineffective at what he said he would do. He barely rammed through that tax bill by the skin of his teeth. Obamacare was undermined but not repealed (though many believe it was) and his foreign policy was quite predictably Trump. Oh and net neutrality. There are actually people who think that the ISPs in the US which might as well have pirate flags for logos for all they treat customers like fat merchant vessels will act honourably without it. I'm expecting to have to pay more for almost everything real soon and I don't even live in the US.

The real damage as Starbear has mentioned was the loss of the talent that makes the machinery of governing work. That is not easily replaced. And politically appointed hacks are not the answer. Even if he gets impeached next year (not massively likely unless the golden combination of Mueller finding a working smoking gun and the Democrats cleaning house in the midterms happen) the long-term effects of his tenure will be felt for decades.

starbear:

bastardofmelbourne:

starbear:

You can only make that point by deleting the end of my sentence and changing the context of what I said entirely.

No.

starbear:
My point wasn't just that Trump is "ignorant, lazy, intellectually bankrupt buffoon with no understanding or experience of how government works": its that Trump is "ignorant, lazy, intellectually bankrupt buffoon with no understanding or experience of how government works, who has stood by while the incompetent fools he has surrounded himself with have systematically run down the US Federal Government."

The people he surrounded himself with are the same ilk that George W. Bush and company are. They aren't doing anything particularly worse than George W. Bush, it just looks worse because Trump is bad at public relations with ~65% of the population, and the media establishment wants him gone because he lacks the subtlety necessary to pretend that Republicanism is anything other than naked kleptocracy. Substantively, most of the bad things Trump has actually accomplished are simple continuations of Bush and/or Obama policy. And he hasn't actually started a war like Iraq yet (or dropped the ball on preventing a terrorist attack like 9/11).

Even the fucking wall is now essentially just a border fence, and guess what? We already have a border fence. This is not a new concept. Extending it is wholly unnecessary and a waste of resources, but it's not novel.

Zontar:

Here's to 7 more years.

Thats from people who thought the US government was capable of outing fascists automatically.

You're criticizing the left for the evil actions of Republicans.

But hey, we're working on fixing that, by taking over red as fuck states like Alabama. Trump actually turned Alabama blue.

FalloutJack:
I've already delared Dubya no longer the stupid one. He still opened up a war in the wrong country, but he is clearly somewhat better than Trump.

Yes, I'm sure the 174,000 who died in Iraq and the millions who suffered think Trump's far worse than Bush.

Don't get me wrong, Trump could very well do much worse before his time's up. But perspective.

jklinders:
The real damage as Starbear has mentioned was the loss of the talent that makes the machinery of governing work.

Not to the Republicans.

Their entire ethos is that the government doesn't and shouldn't function, because it helps their corporate and wealthy paymasters do as they please and justifies privatisation.

You know it's funny how a man who threw away tens of thousands of innocent lives because saving them would distract from his wife's health care reform, the man who cost a million innocent lives with his actions, and the man who created the situation which has doomed the EU and created a political crisis throughout the West that hasn't been seen for so long only the oldest amongst us where alive to see it (and had the largest part of his legacy be repealing the aforementioned health care reform no less) are all considered better then a man who as of yet hasn't done anything comparable to them.

I know that politics can be insane at times but the cognitive dissonance at play is astonishing. I'm pretty sure that type of thing causes legitimate brain damage due to the stress it puts the mind under.

Agema:

jklinders:
The real damage as Starbear has mentioned was the loss of the talent that makes the machinery of governing work.

Not to the Republicans.

Their entire ethos is that the government doesn't and shouldn't function, because it helps their corporate and wealthy paymasters do as they please and justifies privatisation.

One thing I hate about politics is that many seem incapable of seeing their opponents as anything other then a caricature.

Much as the progressive and corporatist left is about to die due to how unpopular it is with the young, the corporatist right is about to feel the same gut punch.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here