What ideology are the Tau in WH40k?

Pages PREV 1 2

evilthecat:

I mean, for one, alien subjects in the Tau empire (it's worth noting that Kroot are not subjects but allies) have always had their own role prefixes in official material, and so can't be members of the Tau castes. As mentioned, the Tau castes are physical subspecies, and being a member of a given caste means being a member of that subspecies. In my old Tau codex, it states that even members of the different Tau subspecies are not really allowed to interact very much with each other without an Ethereal present.

I might be wrong here but I don't think the Tau were originally a physical subspecies but just a regular race (which makes sense considering some castes like the void fighting ones are pretty much screwed in medieval times and that cross breeding is possible between castes). It sounds more likely that the ethereals literally specifically breed the Tau for sub species over millenias to have them being specialized in fields (which likely added to the ethereals control over the Tau).

inu-kun:
I might be wrong here but I don't think the Tau were originally a physical subspecies but just a regular race (which makes sense considering some castes like the void fighting ones are pretty much screwed in medieval times and that cross breeding is possible between castes).

Again, my lore knowledge is old and may have changed, but in the Mon'tau (the Tau "medieval times" when the castes warred amongst themselves before the Ethereals suddenly arrived) they were already distinct, but less distinct than they are now. The air caste weren't adapted to low gravity, for example, but they did have patagia (which became vestigal later) and very light bone structure which let them glide around.

Under the Ethereals, the four castes were selectively bred (and still are) to emphasize these distinctive characteristics, but those characteristics existed before.

evilthecat:

inu-kun:
I might be wrong here but I don't think the Tau were originally a physical subspecies but just a regular race (which makes sense considering some castes like the void fighting ones are pretty much screwed in medieval times and that cross breeding is possible between castes).

Again, my lore knowledge is old and may have changed, but in the Mon'tau (the Tau "medieval times" when the castes warred amongst themselves before the Ethereals suddenly arrived) they were already distinct, but less distinct than they are now. The air caste weren't adapted to low gravity, for example, but they did have patagia (which became vestigal later) and very light bone structure which let them glide around.

Under the Ethereals, the four castes were selectively bred (and still are) to emphasize these distinctive characteristics, but those characteristics existed before.

Original Codex, yeah. Air caste glided around, Earth caste did walled city stuff, Water caste were islander naval types and Fire caste were mongols.

Those who've played Civilization will get my reference.

They are Space Gandhi.

Gandhi?s been a notorious asshole in Sid Meier?s Civilization, first as a result of a bug and later because that bug was hilarious. Seeing the leader, a longstanding image of peace and pacifism, threaten players with nuclear weapons is a staple of the franchise. It?s not surprising that Gandhi is still an asshole in Civilization VI, but he?s a different kind of asshole this time around.

Civilization VI introduced a new Leader Agendas mechanic, which are boilerplates for how AI leaders behave. Cleopatra, for instance, likes other civilizations that have strong militaries and will try to ally with them. Queen Victoria favors civilizations with cities on her continent and will try to expand to all continents available. Gandhi?s historical Leader Agenda is called Peacekeeper, fitting with his role in actual world history. He will never declare wars in which he can be branded a warmonger, and he will befriend other peaceful nations and denounce violent ones. So far, he sounds like an alright guy.

The problem is that AI leaders come with two Leader Agendas, and the second one is usually randomized. The second agenda is sometimes weighted towards a particular trait, increasing the chance of rolling it. Teddy Roosevelt prefers Environmentalist, which encourages his AI to build national parks and plant forests. Gandhi, on the other hand, tends to roll Nuke Happy.

"One of our Shas'o has left a beloved childhood toy on this planet that the Imperium now has claimed. We will send the water caste for two minutes of talk and then rail cannon the shit out of it. For the Greater Good."

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here