Trump is still Racist, reffers to El Salvador, Haiti and African Nations as "shithole countries"

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

And wishes we got more white people from Norway.

Democrats call it out as racist. Republicans want him to 'explain his comments' aka spin them as not about race so they can continue to pretend Republicans arent racist.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/trump-referred-haiti-african-countries-shithole-nations-n836946

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/368636-lawmakers-rail-against-trump-after-s-hole-comment

Trump is a racist piece of shit.

Oh and dont worry, professional racist, Joe Arpaio still supports racist Trump.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/368651-arpaio-on-trumps-s-hole-comments-i-support-him-regardless-of-what-he-says

The amusing part of this little mini-scandal - apart from how predictable it is - is how right-wing pundits reacted to it. Or...didn't react. Most brushed it off; Fox News host Jesse Waters said that it "doesn't move the needle at all," and that Trump was just "shooting from the hip." Ann Coulter went so far as to claim that Trump was personally trying to win back her approval after she published a scathing opinion piece on Breitbart. Even the White House, in a released statement, did not actually deny the statements.

I mean, look. Plain talking is not a bad thing. It shows you a person's blunt priorities, unvarnished and free of spin. The reason Trump considers reducing immigration such a priority isn't because he's concerned about the impact on wages or even because he's worried about terrorism (how many terrorists come from Haiti?). It's because he thinks those places are shitholes, full of dirty brown people, and he's simply applying the same principle he applied many, many times while working in real estate; having hobos in the neighbourhood lowers property values. As far as he's concerned, he's doing his job. His neighbourhood is the United States, and he is deploying every trick in his book to try and keep it clean, safe, law-abiding, and predominantly white.

bastardofmelbourne:
The amusing part of this little mini-scandal - apart from how predictable it is - is how right-wing pundits reacted to it. Or...didn't react. Most brushed it off; Fox News host Jesse Waters said that it "doesn't move the needle at all," and that Trump was just "shooting from the hip." Ann Coulter went so far as to claim that Trump was personally trying to win back her approval after she published a scathing opinion piece on Breitbart. Even the White House, in a released statement, did not actually deny the statements.

I mean, look. Plain talking is not a bad thing. It shows you a person's blunt priorities, unvarnished and free of spin. The reason Trump considers reducing immigration such a priority isn't because he's concerned about the impact on wages or even because he's worried about terrorism (how many terrorists come from Haiti?). It's because he thinks those places are shitholes, full of dirty brown people, and he's simply applying the same principle he applied many, many times while working in real estate; having hobos in the neighbourhood lowers property values. As far as he's concerned, he's doing his job. His neighbourhood is the United States, and he is deploying every trick in his book to try and keep it clean, safe, law-abiding, and predominantly white.

Bigots pretending they arent bigots has lost its 'amusingness' quite awhile ago.

Republicans are bigots, thats a fact that continues to be. The republicans 'alarmed' by this are not alarmed because racism is bad, but because -they know they are racist- and know it makes them look bad when its that blatantly obvious.

Wait, Trump is racist? Well, who would have thought that?

Seriously though, wasn't he also one of the birthers in chief? Calling him racist is like calling the sky blue.

well I look forward to the usual deflective dismissals and quiet that accompany these regular shiny revelations. Not that it would change anybody's mind, though I'm pretty sure most are quite aware already, just they either find it all agreeable (consciously or not) or don't care for those in line of sight

bastardofmelbourne:

plain talking is very useful for knowing who to walk away from as early as possible. There is also a weird in-between with the amount of 'honest' guys I've met who label themselves that purely to be as sexually inappropriate to ladies as they think they can get away with, while conveniently forgetting to be honest about all the other things that might just get in the way of their desires. The self-described 'honest' person tends to be the least of them all

Saelune:
Republicans are bigots, thats a fact that continues to be. The republicans 'alarmed' by this are not alarmed because racism is bad, but because -they know they are racist- and know it makes them look bad when its that blatantly obvious.

There are actually Republicans out there who aren't racist, who sincerely believe in small government, the free market, fiscal conservatism and all the other race-neutral elements of Republican ideology.

The challenge presented by Trump is that he shatters the comfortable delusion that this was what the Republican party cared about. Trump has proven very clearly that what motivates most Republican voters isn't lower taxes, less government interference, or market deregulation. It's racism. Now all the respectable Republicans who just think that lower taxes is smart economics find themselves looking in the mirror and going "Am...am I the bad guy?"

You know, rather than calling Trump a racist, I rather you guys explain to me how El Salvador, Haiti, and African Nations (I assume Central and North Africa) are not shithole countries.

Nations that have proven track records of crimes of powerful Drug Cartels of the Pablo Escobar variety, human trafficking, wars of ethnic cleansing, and ruthless dictatorships and revolutionary wars to usurp the government to install a new ruthless dictatorship that was probably worse than the last?

But there are innocent people there? Yes there are innocent and good people in these countries, but they live in hell at this point.

Man, imagine if Obama called anywhere a shit hole

Or even said the word shit out loud

undeadsuitor:

Didn't Obama said the N word at one point?

Samtemdo8:
You know, rather than calling Trump a racist, I rather you guys explain to me how El Salvador, Haiti, and African Nations (I assume Central and North Africa) are not shithole countries.

Nations that have proven track records of crimes of powerful Drug Cartels of the Pablo Escobar variety, human trafficking, wars of ethnic cleansing, and ruthless dictatorships and revolutionary wars to usurp the government to install a new ruthless dictatorship that was probably worse than the last?

But there are innocent people there? Yes there are innocent and good people in these countries, but they live in hell at this point.

In a way asking them to debunk that particular point is asking them to shoot themselves in their foot. After all if these places aren't shitholes how will they appeal to our emotions when trying to push for more open border policies? I think the thousands of africans who die in the Mediterranean sea to go to Europe is evidence enough Africa is still in a bad shape and full of "shitholes" or countries not that far from being shitholes. But that's mainly due to the abundance in military conflicts and corrupted dictators.

On the other hand his comment on wanting more people from Norway rather than Haiti can be easily construed as racist. This is said, from a purely utilitarian point of view I don't see how he's wrong. Norway is a highly developed nation with a strong education system, Haiti is neither of them. So if you're going to accept people without enforcing strict standards from both nations you're much more likely to get a highly skilled and educated Norwegian than Haitian. This has nothing to do with their skin color but simply the environment they grew up in and how much you'll have to invest in them once they arrive.

Based on past statements made by Trump this is really tame. It pales in comparison to his comment about mexico sending in their criminals and rapists.

bastardofmelbourne:

Saelune:

There are actually Republicans out there who aren't racist, who sincerely believe in small government, the free market, fiscal conservatism and all the other race-neutral elements of Republican ideology.

The challenge presented by Trump is that he shatters the comfortable delusion that this was what the Republican party cared about. Trump has proven very clearly that what motivates most Republican voters isn't lower taxes, less government interference, or market deregulation. It's racism. Now all the respectable Republicans who just think that lower taxes is smart economics find themselves looking in the mirror and going "Am...am I the bad guy?"

I don't exactly think they're looking at themselves in the mirror and asking if they're the bad guys. I imagine they're just pissed at how much of an idiot he consistently is. After all it's not exactly good optics for the president to be calling other nations "shit holes". However Jesse Watters actually has a point for once in his incredibly pathetic career, in that this isn't going to change anything. His base, the Republican base, loves the fact he was "telling it like it is" by saying those places are shit holes and that the people there don't need to be here. After all, we can have nice white people come here from Norway instead right?

This also isn't going to change anything in that Republican politicians are going to stay at his side regardless. They can say how concerned they are and grandstand all they want, they aren't going to do a damn thing. If they do, it'll be an outlier or two that ends up getting shoved out of office for going against Trump. They dug their own damn graves. Someone like Trump was the natural conclusion based on the crap they were pushing for years in the Senate, the House, in townhalls, and on Fox News. I mean, the outright nonsense that was pushed during the Obama era is fucking stunning. The sheer amount of misinformation and demonizing they did, while at the same time not being very effective in governing anything, pushed their base to flocking to Trump who is fundamentally a part of that base. They skipped the politicians and put one of their own in office. If one of those Republican politicians really is looking in the mirror and asking if they're the bad guy, I hope that the reflection responds "yes".

Of course he is. The only people still denying it are either racists themselves and they're denying it because they don't want to be ousted as racists, or they're dumb as shit. Quite often it's both.

undeadsuitor:

Fox News criticized Obama for eating a hotdog with mustard. If he'd said shit or even crap their heads would have exploded on the spot.

bastardofmelbourne:
As far as he's concerned, he's doing his job. His neighbourhood is the United States, and he is deploying every trick in his book to try and keep it clean, safe, law-abiding, and predominantly white.

John Schindler was right. Trump isn't like Hitler, he's more like Slobodan Milosevic.
http://observer.com/2017/12/warning-donald-trump-is-americas-slobodan-milosevic/

Samtemdo8:

undeadsuitor:

Didn't Obama said the N word at one point?

Yes. Here's the quote
"Racism, we are not cured of it. And it's not just a matter of it not being polite to say nigger in public,"

Notice how he wasn't calling anyone that

And fox news still blew their lid

Samtemdo8:

And the US are doing everything they can to make sure they all stay there. Funnily enough there are many people in the UK that consider the US to be a 'shithole country,' and I guess there is some truth to that. Even Trump agrees there. But using it to taint and dehumanise every citizen as if they are nothing more than pests or sewer rats while acting all superior is indeed very fucking racist. Dehumanisation is the quickest justification towards murder or manslaughter and ignorance of.

A president (of any country) should be more tactful to put it mildly but those countries really are shitholes (by Western standards). Its not racist since there isn't any implication that they are shitholes because of their demographics. Maybe if you stretched it and made an argument that its not right to measure other countries and cultures by our own values but even thats more culturalist than racist.

I don't know guys. Out of all the racist shit Trump has said I don't know why this one is being singled out. Doesn't even come close to the top 10.

This conveniently forgets that the US was 'made great' by people coming from shithole countries. Most people emigrated to America because life in their birth countries was bad and they wanted a new chance. eg Ireland, Italy, Russia ...

Samtemdo8:

Which means they shouldn't be welcome in the US why? I mean, I understand that Haiti and El Salvador are bad places to live in many ways, as are some African countries (though we should also acknowledge that Africa is the continent with the quickest rising GDP per capita and has seen immense improvements in the daily lives of most people that don't live in Somalia and Mali), but why should that prevent people living there from being able to migrate to the USA?

The problem is not just the use of "shit hole nations", it is that Trump is assuming that no one who comes from these countries might actually make a valuable contribution to the US if they are allowed a Visa. This is the same guy who once said every immigrant from Haiti has AIDS and that Nigerian exchange students never want to go back to their huts, so the message is clear: Trump doesn't want any poor, uneducated negro with AIDS cluttering up his America. When he says shit hole nations that's not in anyway a matter of fact statement. It is highly subjective opinion and when his wish is to not grant people from "shit hole nations" a Visa that highlights a very troubling view of these people as inferior.

I guess it's nice to finally have confirmation that he is indeed a piece of shit in every conceivable way.

Samtemdo8:

A president should never call other countries "shitholes" to begin with. A good rule of thumb for a politician is to not cause unnecessary foreign relations complications like this one. Only a tactless and unprofessional leader would lash out unprovoked at other countries just for the sake of old man racism.

Adam Jensen:

undeadsuitor:

Fox News criticized Obama for eating a hotdog with mustard. If he'd said shit or even crap their heads would have exploded on the spot.

But...hotdogs....have mustard on them? Like Google image search hotdog and I guarantee that it has mustard on it?

I mean, it's not 4 big macs a meal 5 times a day, but Obama is trying

Pseudonym:
Wait, Trump is racist? Well, who would have thought that?

Seriously though, wasn't he also one of the birthers in chief? Calling him racist is like calling the sky blue.

True. But calling the POTUS racist isn't.

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:
A president (of any country) should be more tactful to put it mildly but those countries really are shitholes (by Western standards). Its not racist since there isn't any implication that they are shitholes because of their demographics. Maybe if you stretched it and made an argument that its not right to measure other countries and cultures by our own values but even thats more culturalist than racist.

I don't know guys. Out of all the racist shit Trump has said I don't know why this one is being singled out. Doesn't even come close to the top 10.

- They are shitholes.
- Why?
- You know why!
- No seriously, Mr. President. Why?

You know you live in a shithole when you get used to the daily stench.

Samtemdo8:

Who are you that other countries have to justify their existence to you? Do you really want to treat Haiti the way Trump has treated you?

He's 100% right but it still won't stop people from virtue signalling.

Whitbane:

Right, as everybody knows the only non-shitty countries to live in are all white people countries. Can't have these inferior mongrel races thinking that they're our equal. Next they'll be demanding their human rights and wanting to participate on the world's stage.

I mean... Is being El Salvadorian a race?

I always found it odd how word-conscious the left is, insisting what can and can't be said, what's sexist, what's gender-neutral, appropriate pronouns and so on.

Yet when it comes to attacking people, they're seemingly much more loose.

The correct term is "Jingoistic", or perhaps "Nationalistic".

Just figured it'd be a "The more you know" sorta thing.

Anyway.

These countries are pretty shit. Of course you probably shouldn't say that to their faces, but, they're shit countries and there's little to be gained from interacting with them.

BeetleManiac:

Samtemdo8:

Who are you that other countries have to justify their existence to you? Do you really want to treat Haiti the way Trump has treated you?

The simple moral humanitarian answer is no. And Objecting to your question is morally wrong.

BeetleManiac:

Whitbane:

Right, as everybody knows the only non-shitty countries to live in are all white people countries. Can't have these inferior mongrel races thinking that they're our equal. Next they'll be demanding their human rights and wanting to participate on the world's stage.

If these countries weren't shitty they wouldn't be coming over here in droves.

And yeah, almost all the best countries in the world are heavily white countries. That's pretty much a fact.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/countries-with-the-highest-standard-of-living-social-progress-index/

Whitbane:

BeetleManiac:

Whitbane:

If these countries weren't shitty they wouldn't be coming over here in droves.

And yeah, almost all the best countries in the world are heavily white countries. That's pretty much a fact.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/countries-with-the-highest-standard-of-living-social-progress-index/

Congrats on utterly missing the point. Check Gethsemani's post for more details on how. Also, ignore all the major steps in progress that countries like South Africa have made to have better standards of living. You just know they're all shit holes, despite the fact that the majority of people in the first world can't even name half of the countries in Africa. This is what we call "Stereotyping."

Eh... how is calling a country a shithole racist? It shows that he's an arrogant prick, and overly judgemental, but it's not racism per say.

Likewise, saying we don't want people from shit countries to come into our country isn't racism, per say, it's just dickish. (That said, it depends what he actually said exactly, which I don't think has come to light yet).

I mean, I have described a whole pile of places as shitholes, including most of the places I have lived. That doesn't mean I have anything against the people within it, just the place itself.

erttheking:
You just know they're all shit holes, despite the fact that the majority of people in the first world can't even name half of the countries in Africa. This is what we call "Stereotyping."

You mean like the stereotype that us Westerners don't know anything about Africa? Despite the fact that there is a lot more to the west than the US, and some of us Europeans are actually quite good at geography.

Catnip1024:
Eh... how is calling a country a shithole racist? It shows that he's an arrogant prick, and overly judgemental, but it's not racism per say.

Likewise, saying we don't want people from shit countries to come into our country isn't racism, per say, it's just dickish. (That said, it depends what he actually said exactly, which I don't think has come to light yet).

I mean, I have described a whole pile of places as shitholes, including most of the places I have lived. That doesn't mean I have anything against the people within it, just the place itself.

Take a guess at how many of the countries he called shit holes are populated predominately mainly by white people. Go ahead, guess. You shouldn't have to think hard, considering he just lumped the biggest continent in the world into one big ball.

Catnip1024:

erttheking:
You just know they're all shit holes, despite the fact that the majority of people in the first world can't even name half of the countries in Africa. This is what we call "Stereotyping."

You mean like the stereotype that us Westerners don't know anything about Africa? Despite the fact that there is a lot more to the west than the US, and some of us Europeans are actually quite good at geography.

So countering me using a stereotype, you instantly go for the stereotype that Americans think all about themselves. Are you trying to be ironic? If you are, you did a lousy job.

And I was mainly thinking about the fact that westerns don't know that many European countries, but I was also thinking of the times that Europeans tried to guess which American states were where, and the results were laughably bad.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/its-thanksgiving-so-we-asked-some-brits-to-label-the-us-stat?utm_term=.hwgMVq0V38#.na3mW0MW5x

People in general tend to not know much about geography in areas that don't concern them. And sometimes even in areas that do.

Again, if you were trying to be ironic, you did a lousy job.

erttheking:
Take a guess at how many of the countries he called shit holes are populated predominately mainly by white people. Go ahead, guess. You shouldn't have to think hard, considering he just lumped the biggest continent in the world into one big ball.

So, saying a country is shit, and the populace of that country being mostly non-white therefore means you're racist?

Could it not instead be that these countries are shit regardless of the race of the populace?

The Lunatic:
So, saying a country is shit, and the populace of that country being mostly non-white therefore means you're racist?

Could it not instead be that these countries are shit regardless of the race of the populace?

I don't know if you're American or into Sports, Lunatic, but recently America has been divided... let me say that again with the appropriate emphasis... Recently America has been divided on whether millionaires whose job is to chase a ball around stand or knell for the national Anthem.

Pundits and the like took to Airwaves and yelled themselves red in the face, absolutely livid that these people who are actually implimenting their constitutional rights would do so. And furthermore, they were so disgusted that they couldn't properly enjoy hours upon hours of genetic freaks chasing a ball.

I mean, the millionaires still chased the ball around. The kneeling didn't affect their ability to do so. And in fact, nothing of the sport actually changed. Just people were so disgusted that they took a dip in the Football ratings as PROOF that kneeling was so important that people didn't want to watch any more for these millionaires chasing a ball expressing their rights as an American Citizen.

What does this have to do with Trump? Same thing.

People want respect.

People in the ghetto know where they live in shit, but they don't need others who are not going through it to judge them. you think people in Haiti, El Salvador, and Africa don't know they are struggling? Believe me, they do. But they don't need a man who only does about three hours of "work" and is probably the luckiest man who ever lived spouting off about them. America is really turning into a Second World Nation. Do we need the rest of the world judging us? Hell, we elect people who yell "AMERICA FIRST" while laying out obvious plans to gut America... because they yelled America first.

Destitute, Dilapidated, Ruined, impoverished, Struggling, Poor, Weakened, Depleted. All these words talk about the issues facing these countries.

Read these next sentences not as personal attacks as you. But just read them and see how the sentiments make you feel. Again, not slated towards you. I don't know you and I actually have no opinion about you.

The food you made last night was shit. The work you're doing today is shit. Your home is shit.

Now compare to

The food you made last night was dry. The work you're doing is Subpar. Your home is messy.

The first one is more insulting, right? And in fact, it's not even expressive at all. There are no real problems nor seeable solutions to fix them. Just a blanket descriptor of the least palpable thing someone can picture. Excrement.

Juxtapose reading that the food you made last night was dry, and you can think that you did leave it in the oven longer than you thought. That your work isn't up to your usual standards and you can see where you might have phoned it in. That your home is fine, but you just haven't cleaned it up in a while.

The word shit is usually said to insult. To denigrate. It's the same reason why people who were so livid about the flag kneeling made effort to say time and time again "THEY ARE DISRESPECTING OUR FLAG" instead of giving the truth that it was well in their rights to do so. They don't want to present all sides. Just the side that makes them angry or disgusted.

Just like using the descriptor 'shit'.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or