Do you believe JFK's murder was a conspiracy?

Personally for the longest time I do not think there is a Conspiracy, and it was all Lee Harvey Oswald being a vain and attention seeking man. And if there was a conspiracy, I would believe in the one that is the most realistic and grounded in reality. The basis of my disbelief in a conspiracy is thanks to a Documentary called "The Kennedy Assassination - Beyond Conspiracy" from 2003. And so far they presented an interesting case to prove that there was no conspiracy.

It certainly paints to me that Lee Harvey Oswald did it and the reason was for lack of a better word "attention seeking" he wants to be remembered, wants to be on the history books, regardless of what deeds he did.

The only flaw in this documentary is no arguements against the documentary's case. Which is partly the reason why I made this thread, what do you guys think of the JFK assassination.

...you know that documentaries tend not to argue against themselves, right?

Anyway, the conspiracy isn't "who killed Kennedy and why", it's "who had Oswald killed and why?"

Might have been better as a poll.

Anyhoo, no, no conspiracy.

I have doubts about the whole "Single bullet" thing. It seems a little bit of a stretch. I mean, I imagine it's not impossible, and it may very well be one of those "You'll never believe this" sorta things. But, I have some doubt about it.

The Lunatic:
I have doubts about the whole "Single bullet" thing. It seems a little bit of a stretch. I mean, I imagine it's not impossible, and it may very well be one of those "You'll never believe this" sorta things. But, I have some doubt about it.

Nah, the "Magic Bullet" actually could work, accounting for the layout of the limo and the ballistics of the 6.5mm Carcano round Oswald was firing. The 160-grain 6.5mm roundnose FMJ is well-known for its incredible sectional density and penetration. It'd be an impressive shot, definitely, but shit happens sometimes, maybe Oswald rolled a natural 20 that day.

As someone above said, the real question(s) are about the events before and after the shooting. Just who the fuck was Lee Harvey Oswald? His history is an absolute mess: a former Marine who may have worked for the CIA at some point, and both moved to and back from the Soviet Union in the height of the Cold War? Why was his escape after the shooting so bizarre? What motivated a small-time Dallas mobster/strip club owner to shoot the most wanted man in America? And that's not even getting into the weirdness surrounding the handling of Kennedy's body.

Then you get to the big, over-arching question: what was going on in the '60s that attacks by alleged single gunmen killed three of the most influential figures in US politics in the space of 10 years? The assassinations of Martin Luther King and RFK were equally suspicious, and all three were handily wrapped up and swept away in short order. I've got a few theories and they pretty much all point to deeper things going on.

The Lunatic:

The parade car's rear seats are elevated. The "magic bullet" never actually had to be magic.

No, there's no conspiracy. You can go visit the street where JFK was shot. It's an easy shot from the book depository onto a slow-moving motorcade. That's all.

The Lunatic:

The whole magic bullet theory is a crock of bullshit that got popularised by Oliver Stone with his film in the 90s. It ignores the fact that the parade car's rear seats were elevated and slightly off-set from the seats in front of them. When you adjust the diagrams to include the parade car that was actually used instead of just a regular car, the shot is a straight line.

To believe that the JFK shooting was a conspiracy would lead me to believe that a government that couldn't even cover up a hotel break-in has managed to cover up one of the biggest shootings in US history for 55 years as of this topic.

Just about the only theory I've heard that I have ANY sort of respect for is that, while Oswald hit JFK, a Secret Service member in the motorcade took the fatal shot by accident while trying to return fire. Not because I believe it, mind you, for the reason I stated above. It's for the reason that is, at least, quite plausible on the face of it.

If there was a conspiracy, it didn't have anything to do with how many shots were taken. It's all about Lee Harvey Oswald. Did he act alone or was he recruited by someone from the government or the CIA etc.

thebobmaster:
To believe that the JFK shooting was a conspiracy would lead me to believe that a government that couldn't even cover up a hotel break-in has managed to cover up one of the biggest shootings in US history for 55 years as of this topic.

Let's compare apples to apples here: JFK conspiracy theorists think the CIA covered up the JFK shooting; that's hardly the same thing as a bunch of political operatives for Nixon.

I suspect there may have been a conspiracy by various security services to cover up mistakes which led to the US president being assassinated.

Let's face it, if you were overseeing just about the worst cock-up your organisation has ever cocked-up, you might want people thinking about anything other than how you cocked up, too.

Adam Jensen:
If there was a conspiracy, it didn't have anything to do with how many shots were taken. It's all about Lee Harvey Oswald. Did he act alone or was he recruited by someone from the government or the CIA etc.

Well what had JFK done or what did he represented that the CIA would wanted him dead?

And you would think someone in the CIA loyal to President JFK would have come out by now and say they did it.

Possibly the KGB or someone conspired to make it look like a conspiracy.

He had links to some unsavoury types so I do think it's possible that some sort of cover up was going on, yes, although I don't think the gunman behind the grassy knoll explanation stacks up at all.

No, not really. The problem is all the information seems jumbled and confused, making discerning the truth harder than it should be.

Personally, I like the theory that it was one of the CIA types nearby, who accidentally discharged their weapon and it happened to kill JFK after Oswald fired.

To cover up, they had Oswald killed and the investigation hushed up because hooooh boy they did NOT wanna deal with the PR nightmare of that incompetence.

Honestly I have no idea. I wouldn't put it past the CIA (seriously, they've done some horrible things in the past and seem to have no compunctions about doing them at present) but I also admit that no hard proof exists connecting them to the assassination.

CM156:
Honestly I have no idea. I wouldn't put it past the CIA (seriously, they've done some horrible things in the past and seem to have no compunctions about doing them at present) but I also admit that no hard proof exists connecting them to the assassination.

Everyone seems to think the CIA is the most plausible of all the conspiracies.

The other plausible, grounded in reality ones that it was the Russians, the Cubans, the Mafia, or even a rival President like Nixon or Johnson.

Samtemdo8:

Adam Jensen:

Well what had JFK done or what did he represented that the CIA would wanted him dead?

And you would think someone in the CIA loyal to President JFK would have come out by now and say they did it.

Possibly they saw him as being too soft on "the cuban/communist problem", or felt he was hindering their efforts. You've kind of got to remember that this is the same government that considered committing acts of terror on the US population and then blaming the cubans to drive anti-cuban sentiments until it was rejected by Kennedy.

Your last point also kind of assumes that they'd have informed anyone loyal to the president, rather than only informing people sympathetic to idea.

Well, according to Pixels, JFK shot first.

I think Hillary Clinton did it. Oswald was a member of the DNC and sent back in time via old Soviet time travel technology made in the 80s funded by Trump so he could get a hair transplant from himself.

Probably not. The magic bullet stuff is explained when you look at the layout of the car (it wasn't a regular car, Kennedy's seat was offset and higher up than the governor's) and a communist with military training shooting a fervently anti-communist president isn't much of a stretch.

What's to conspire about? A guy that was (years prior) graded a Marine sharpshooter during exercises, with communist sympathies, with a fairly precise Italian bolt action rifle, managing to kill someone. Shocker.

It was a brilliant shot at a moving target but such things are eminently doable...

The bigger conspiracy theory would be the CIA having decent assassins and agent controllers to pull off such a thing and keep it quiet...

Or to put it more bluntly, Castro 600+ and we know about a shitload of thenm through leaks and FOIA ... Kennedy zero and yet we've heard nothing about it.

Kennedy assassination orchestrated by the CIA? This sounds more realistic...

Out of all the popular conspiracy theories out there, this is the most likely one.
Most of them (9/11, Moon landing, chemtrails etc.) are easily debunked. This one, not so much although people try and there's good arguments on both sides.
Even if it was a conspiracy, I don't think it happened like the conspiracy theorists say it did.
Instead of the government hiring him, I would lean more towards him being a part of a 60s version of ANTIFA or something along those lines and that there were simply more of them shooting but Oswald was the one who go caught (or was made a scapegoat in order to allow the rest of them to avoid punishment).
Why was Oswald shot if it wasn't the government, you ask? If you shot Trump, you better believe that there would be a lot of people, including ordinary citizens, wanting to get revenge on you. You would have a higher chance of being gunned down by a working class conservative than a member of the CIA.

TrulyBritish:

Samtemdo8:

Adam Jensen:

Possibly they saw him as being too soft on "the cuban/communist problem", or felt he was hindering their efforts. You've kind of got to remember that this is the same government that considered committing acts of terror on the US population and then blaming the cubans to drive anti-cuban sentiments until it was rejected by Kennedy.

Your last point also kind of assumes that they'd have informed anyone loyal to the president, rather than only informing people sympathetic to idea.

Who's to say that the loyalists are open about their loyalties to Kennedy?

But that's just baseless speculation on my part.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here