Deputy Director of the FBI Steps Down, Retiring in March

After a private meeting with FBI Director Christopher Wray, where the director expressed concern over findings from an internal probe into the FBI's investigation of Hillary Clinton, Deputy Director Andrew McCabe has stepped down from his position, and is planning to retire in March (after getting his maximum pension options, naturally).

Wray was quick to say that he and the FBI as a whole had followed procedure, not politics, in their actions, saying that he "will not be swayed" by political pressure. The reason it is a concern is that Trump has never been a fan of McCabe, especially when it was revealed that he had close connections with Hillary Clinton, which led to McCabe recusing himself from any Clinton-related matters shortly before the election.

Sarah Huckabee Sanders has publicly stated that Trump and the White House had nothing to do with McCabe's stepping down and retirement, saying that Trump "wasn't part of this decision-making process".

I'd like to believe both Wray and Sanders, but at the same time, the fact that this is the second major FBI officially to step down or be fired in less than a year, and both were involved in a Russia probe...things seem a little fishy, to say the least.

Source- Washington Post

Sorry, how was McCabe linked to the Russia Probe? It sounds more like he's being ousted for his role in the Clinton investigations.
Seems like a fairly obvious move to me, remove the guy with a link(though for the source is it a rather tennis link) to Clinton from investigations involving her or her political opponent. No worries of bias (or rather, the accusation of bias).

How is it suspect that this is the second FBI official to step down in a year when the previous one was someone everyone wanted to see fired in the first place? It wasn't just one of the most non-partisan things Trump has done, it was one of the most non-partisan things in federal politics in the past decade (even if the media did an instant 180 on their months of calling him incompetent since they need to disagree with Trump, even when he does what they call for).

I do have to ask though, how are things coming on the release of the memo? Because with how badly the Dems are fighting against it, it's clear that it'll be bigger then the DNC leaks when it inevitably comes out.

Zontar:

I do have to ask though, how are things coming on the release of the memo? Because with how badly the Dems are fighting against it, it's clear that it'll be bigger then the DNC leaks when it inevitably comes out.

By that logic, shouldn't you also be of the opinion that 'with how badly the Republcians are fighting the Russia probe, it's clear that it will be bigger than Watergate when it inevitably comes out'? I mean the rationale would be almost identical (basically "if you have nothing to hide..."), but if memory serves your position on the former is quite different from your position on the latter.

Asita:
if memory serves your position on the former is quite different from your position on the latter.

Probably because the Democrats keep getting asked for evidence for the claim and the response is always "REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Zontar:

Asita:
if memory serves your position on the former is quite different from your position on the latter.

Probably because the Democrats keep getting asked for evidence for the claim and the response is always "REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

A couple of things here mate.

1. Maybe you forgot you're not on t_d or 4chan currently, but could you try to reign in the casual bigotry? Most of us don't go around posting about being "jewed" out of something. It would be nice if you would do the same with mocking those with autism.

2. When your text can be summed to "I know you are, but what am I?" it should really be throwing red flags up in your brain before you hit the post button...

Avnger:

Zontar:

Asita:

A couple of things here mate.

1. Maybe you forgot you're not on t_d or 4chan currently, but could you try to reign in the casual bigotry? Most of us don't go around posting about being "jewed" out of something. It would be nice if you would do the same with mocking those with autism.

2. When your text can be summed to "I know you are, but what am I?" it should really be throwing red flags up in your brain before you hit the post button...

Its not bigotry, it is from a frog originally (you know, what pepe is?) It was only later associated with autism by people like you who thought they sounded the same.

Here is the actual origin:
(Sorry, no idea how to embed on this site.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qwU1LQZA5g&feature=youtu.be

Its still weird that Trump and the FBI turned on each other after the FBI went out of their way to deliver the presidency to Trump.

thebobmaster:
After a private meeting with FBI Director Christopher Wray, where the director expressed concern over findings from an internal probe into the FBI's investigation of Hillary Clinton, Deputy Director Andrew McCabe has stepped down from his position, and is planning to retire in March (after getting his maximum pension options, naturally).

Technically, this isn't much of a surprise. The NYT reported a month ago that McCabe was planning to step down.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/23/us/politics/mccabe-fbi-trump-russia.html

Zontar:
How is it suspect that this is the second FBI official to step down in a year when the previous one was someone everyone wanted to see fired in the first place? It wasn't just one of the most non-partisan things Trump has done, it was one of the most non-partisan things in federal politics in the past decade (even if the media did an instant 180 on their months of calling him incompetent since they need to disagree with Trump, even when he does what they call for).

It was a non-partisan move only if you believe the first stated reason for Comey's firing (mishandling the Clinton email server investigation) via the official DoJ memo, and not the President's OWN WORDS about why he fired Comey:

"HOLT: Monday you met with the Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.

TRUMP: Right.

HOLT: Did you ask for a recommendation?

TRUMP: What I did is I was going to fire Comey. My decision. It was not...

HOLT: You had made the decision before they came into your office (ph).

TRUMP: I -- I was going to fire Comey. I -- there's no good time to do it, by the way.

They...

HOLT: Because in your letter, you said...

(CROSSTALK)

TRUMP: They -- they were...

HOLT: ...I -- I accepted -- accepted their recommendations.

TRUMP: Yeah, well, they also...

HOLT: So, you had already made the decision.

TRUMP: Oh, I was going to fire regardless of recommendation.

HOLT: So, there was...

(CROSSTALK)

TRUMP: They -- [Rosenstein] made a recommendation. He's highly respected. Very good guy, very smart guy.

And the Democrats like him. The Republicans like him.

He had made a recommendation. But regardless of recommendation, I was going to fire Comey knowing there was no good time to do it

And in fact, when I decided to just do it, I said to myself -- I said, you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made-up story. It's an excuse by the Democrats for having lost an election that they should've won.

And the reason they should've won it is the electoral college is almost impossible for a Republican to win. It's very hard because you start off at such a disadvantage. So, everybody was thinking they should've won the election. This was an excuse for having lost an election."

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/05/11/president_trumps_full_interview_with_lester_holt.html

Zontar:

LOL...how's your Seth Rich investigation coming? Have you found the real killer yet? When can we expect the "Zontar Memo"?

Zontar:
it's clear that it'll be bigger then the DNC leaks when it inevitably comes out.

Not really. It's just been hyped like it's something big by the usual right-wing lunatics. Those imbeciles will fall for anything.

EDIT: This just in. Trump's very own FBI director pick said that the memo is inaccurate and paints a false narrative: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-31/trump-says-100-percent-after-he-s-asked-to-release-gop-memo

Nunes wrote that memo despite not having read the underlying intel that it's supposed to be based on. And the entire premise relies on the fact that Rod Rosenstein reapproved an application for a FISA warrant for surveillance of Carter Page. Which had to have been approved by a judge every 90 days, by the way. And the warrant had already been reapproved once before Rosenstein came on board. So the whole thing was perfectly legal. They're trying to smear Rosenstein for doing his job, basically.

Trump and his team are grasping at straws. They're desperately looking for salvation. The strategy is to try to smear everyone involved in the investigation. Now they're going after Rosenstein. Trump needs an excuse to fire him before Mueller could be fired. Another possibility is to replace Rosenstein with a puppet charged with stonewalling Mueller. None of those two strategies are going to work, of course. Mueller and his team have been several steps ahead of Trump this entire time. Even with Mueller gone, the investigation doesn't magically stop. Knowing what they know about Trump's illegal activities, it's very likely that Mueller and Rosenstein expect to be fired at some point and that they've prepared for that.

It is already too late. Trump is fighting a losing battle. Even without Mueller the investigation doesn't go away, the evidence doesn't go away, the FBI team doesn't go away and the sealed indictments don't go away. Actually, they get unsealed and arrests are made.

Every time you hear something new about Mueller's investigation, you have to know that it's not actually new. It's based on the information that Mueller and his team have had for at least a few weeks, if not months. For instance, we have just learned this: http://abcnews.go.com/US/doj-special-counsel-internal-docs-thwarted-sessions-resignation/story?id=52721241&cid=clicksource_4380645_1_hero_headlines_headlines_hed

So Mueller has even more of their e-mails.

We have also learned recently that a Dutch intel agency hacked into the Russian hacking group so thoroughly, they even captured CCTV footage of them hacking the DNC. Basically, everything that the Dutch know about Russian hacking activities against the DNC or their contacts with someone in the US, Mueller also knows since they shared their findings with the FBI.

At this point it would take something close to a miracle (and even that miracle would have to be illegal) to save this administration.

And as a cherry on top, there's something interesting happening with Sean Hannity as well. That's all I'm saying.

I wouldn't put that much faith in Mueller investigation, he can't arrest the president for anything, all he can do is present his finding. At the end of the day it's congress who has the last say, and so long as it's republican control all that will happen is a lot of people will be very concern and nothing will happen. The electoral map already heavily favor republican for a bunch of undemocratic reason, it'll take a really big push by democrat to flip the congress, and even then it's not a sure fire things.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here