Sweden is apparently a war zone now

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Zontar:

NemotheElvenPanda:

No-go zones, as in areas that tend to be neglected by police and have high rates of crime exist.
No-go zones, as in areas that are run by immams and Sharia law, do not exist.

Neither of these is what anyone outside of the far left echo chamber refer to when talking about the no-go zones.

Then what is being referred to?

Zontar:

NemotheElvenPanda:

No-go zones, as in areas that tend to be neglected by police and have high rates of crime exist.

Neither of these is what anyone outside of the far left echo chamber refer to when talking about the no-go zones.

I know we've done this before Zontar, but let's do it again:
Here's the actual police report (in Swedish) that spawned "no go zones". The first sentence reads: A vulnerable area [utsatt omr?de] is a geographically distinct area which is characterized by a low socioeconomic status where criminals have an impact on local society. In these areas there's many risk factors that can contribute to a lack of belief in the future such as unemployment, unhealth and school drop out."

The report itself never mentions "no go zones" or that police and other social services will go there. The closest you get is mentions about emergency personnel (police, firefighters, ambulance) being obstructed or suffering harassment when operating in these areas. So unless your idea of a far left echo chamber is "The Swedish Police who wrote the report", you simply don'y know what you are talking about.

NemotheElvenPanda:
Because it's not a dismissal. No-go zones, as in areas where non-Muslims can't go because Sharia law suddenly applies there, don't exist. Similarly, the idea that *Muslim immigrants* are behind the crime is not true.

First, that was never what was referred to by the term no-go zone. Second, the mere comparison of the latest story to no-go zones is by definition of a dismissal. It's like me saying "is this as real as unicorns?"

Again, this is a problem that's always existed in one form or another in pretty much any major city, and suddenly now people are caring about it?

You're saying people shouldn't?

The rest of your message is similarly dismissive. Your attitude appears to be "as long as we aren't as bad as X, we're fine". Which is setting aside the fact that you are worse than you were previously, which is the one real comparison you should be concerned about.

Zontar:

And yet the Swedish government and police have only stated that the no go zones are real, while the totality of those who claim they are lying to make themselves look bad for whatever reason are all ideologically driven people from the same fringe political groups.

Interesting. Is this the crime equivalent of climate denial? Certainly has the same overwhelming evidence to one side while the other pretends their belief that there is nothing wrong is all that drives them.

The police and government haven't said that, though. A few individual figures have; a few other individual figures in the same spheres have said it isn't true. There is no official government or police statement that they exist: the original report never described no-go zones.

So, no conspiracy. You're exaggerating the body of evidence massively, from a couple of disputed individual statements into an official consensus in your favour.

It's something you tend to do: make sweeping claims of evidence or consensus in your favour, and proceed to provide nothing, in the hope people just won't check.

Silvanus:

Zontar:

And yet the Swedish government and police have only stated that the no go zones are real, while the totality of those who claim they are lying to make themselves look bad for whatever reason are all ideologically driven people from the same fringe political groups.

Interesting. Is this the crime equivalent of climate denial? Certainly has the same overwhelming evidence to one side while the other pretends their belief that there is nothing wrong is all that drives them.

The police and government haven't said that, though. A few individual figures have; a few other individual figures in the same spheres have said it isn't true. There is no official government or police statement that they exist: the original report never described no-go zones.

So, no conspiracy. You're exaggerating the body of evidence massively, from a couple of disputed individual statements into an official consensus in your favour.

It's something you tend to do: make sweeping claims of evidence or consensus in your favour, and proceed to provide nothing, in the hope people just won't check.

A quick Youtube Search with the words "Sweden Crisis" showcases MANY results all saying the samething along the lines of:

"Muslim Migrant Crisis, Massive Epidemic of violence and rape crimes perpatrated by Muslim Immigrants, Swedish Government and Police are covering these events up so that they maintain the face of not being racist and is the most progressive country in Europe ever"

I mean see for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Sweden+crisis

Are you telling me all this is bullshit, exaggerations, and political motivated against actual Muslim refugees looking for safety by racist right-leaning people that are biggoted to muslims?

Because right now I don't know who to believe anymore. All I can see is just sheer stubborness in this discussion and no comprimise.

Samtemdo8:

Are you telling me all this is bullshit, exaggerations, and political motivated against actual Muslim refugees looking for safety by racist right-leaning people that are biggoted to muslims?

Well lets see then shall we?

Of the information provided in this thread so far, opposing the notion that Sweden is on the verge of total systemic collapse is:

https://www.bra.se/bra-in-english/home/crime-and-statistics/swedish-crime-survey.html
https://www.bra.se/bra-in-english/home/crime-and-statistics/international-comparisons.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate
https://polisen.se/PageFiles/683149/Utsatta%20omr%C3%A5den%20-%20social%20ordning,%20kriminell%20struktur%20och%20utmaningar%20f%C3%B6r%20polisen.pdf

And for the notion are, a right wing tabloid, a news report that doesn't have a link to immigration, and a youtube search.

^ Just so you know, at least my youtube search is as impartial as it can possibly be by just typing "Sweden Crisis" and I still get all these results.

And I have seen most of these videos in the search before hand. But knowing this community, linking a video and expecting you guys to watch it and criticize it properly is an impossibility :p

Samtemdo8:
^ Just so you know, at least my youtube search is as impartial as it can possibly be by just typing "Sweden Crisis" and I still get all these results.

It isn't impartial, in that searching specifically for "Sweden Crisis" will give you back stories saying there is a crisis. If I type "Moon landing hoax", I'm also going to get nothing but results saying the moon landing was a hoax, regardless of whether these videos are bullshit.

Samtemdo8:

A quick Youtube Search with the words "Sweden Crisis" showcases MANY results all saying the samething along the lines of:

"Muslim Migrant Crisis, Massive Epidemic of violence and rape crimes perpatrated by Muslim Immigrants, Swedish Government and Police are covering these events up so that they maintain the face of not being racist and is the most progressive country in Europe ever"

I mean see for yourself:

Because right now I don't know who to believe anymore. All I can see is just sheer stubborness in this discussion and no comprimise.

Honestly, a lot of that genuinely will be exaggeration or politically motivated hogwash, yes. Think about it: a Youtube search of those terms is going to provide you exclusively with results from people who already have such a view, and nothing from anyone else. A Youtube search of such terms is an exercise in confirmation bias.

Type anything followed by the word "crisis" and you'll be inundated with results from people convinced there is such a crisis. You're guaranteed to get only the most self-assured, stubborn, extreme results. I could type "video game crisis" and get reports of moral degeneration in games; I could type "crime crisis" followed by any country on earth, and get results telling me it's the worst.

Samtemdo, you seem like quite a genuine guy, and I trust you're trying to work this out with honesty. But you seem to be consistently using extremely poor methods of evaluation and evidence-gathering-- exercises in giving yourself only extreme or worthless results.

Ignore people ranting in Youtube results, after using a very leading search term. Avoid youtube videos generally for political news, which will inevitably provide one-sided, poorly-researched tracts.

Look for actual, demonstrable evidence. Statistics. NGO/ charity reports. Police reports.

In this case, the evidence is lacking.

^ Mostly because I don't want my computer history to have visited .gov sites because I have a phobia of these .gov sites invading my computer privacy. That is why I don't visit these police statistics sites.

And I prefer linking certain videos and have you guys review them in their entirety so you can tell me whats wrong with their claims.

Anyone who has been paying attention to this will find this as absolutely no surprise what so ever.

At this place, I believe there's likely thousands of eye-witness accounts of how bad things are getting over there, and yet people completely uninvolved seem to know better. A remarkable state of affairs.

The Lunatic:
Anyone who has been paying attention to this will find this as absolutely no surprise what so ever.

At this place, I believe there's likely thousands of eye-witness accounts of how bad things are getting over there, and yet people completely uninvolved seem to know better. A remarkable state of affairs.

Well in that case you must have no issue providing evidence to your claims.

Samtemdo8:

Silvanus:

Zontar:

I mean see for yourself:

And if you search "round earth lies" you'll get a lot of videos claiming that the earth is flat. That doesn't mean it's true it means you used leading search terms.

Samtemdo8:

And I have seen most of these videos in the search before hand. But knowing this community, linking a video and expecting you guys to watch it and criticize it properly is an impossibility :p

"I'm saying it's a fact. I have no evidence for it, but it's a fact."

The Lunatic:

Oh you know, never mind that I live in Sweden, my sister used to live in one of these Especially Vulnerable Areas and currently live in an area where a lot of the shootings in the Gothenburg area has taken place. Never mind that several of my friends have regularly visited Especially Vulnerable Areas in Malmo in their jobs as Ambulance Nurses or that I myself have visited a Vulnerable Area regularly as part of outpatient check ups. I am sure those other eye-witnesses are much more reliable then me, since I am apparently uninvolved...

It is frankly ridiculous how both sides on this issue are unable to have a nuanced discussions about the relative (as in, small fry compared to most other internationally) crime wave facing a few Swedish suburbs. It is especially ridiculous that one side keeps pretending as if the other side is completely oblivious and prefers to attack that strawman by making vague references to alt-right and counter jihad sources, instead of actually engaging with the discussion.

The Lunatic:

Considering all the provided statistical information and official reports out of Sweden say the opposite, you do have quite a bit of evidence to discredit all of that and prove your point right?

I mean otherwise you're just making shit up to fit your predetermined conclusion.

Edit: Every major country has problems. Even as shown by those crime stats, there has been a small rise in violent crimes and the reports (and personal anecdotes) back that up. However, that is a far cry from the warzone, no go zone, societal collapse from migrants bullshit.

Samtemdo8:

Let's put it this way: these videos are all but declaring that Sweden is in the middle of a crime ridden migrant crisis and is just shy of losing its sovereignty based on having a murder rate that's lower than Montana's.

It's safe to say that they're panicking at best and knowingly exaggerating at worst.

Gethsemani:
I am sure those other eye-witnesses are much more reliable then me, since I am apparently uninvolved...

You're telling me were not going to have Viking Mad Max!?

Well this year is a wash then.

Samtemdo8:

And did you double-checked the facts and sources that each result presented? Because not verifying if their sources aren't alarmist lies, doesn't make you impartial.

CaitSeith:

Samtemdo8:

And did you double-checked the facts and sources that each result presented? Because not verifying if their sources aren't alarmist lies, doesn't make you impartial.

No, which is why I want you guys to watch it and criticize it so I can have an alternate opinion.

Avnger:
Considering all the provided statistical information and official reports out of Sweden say the opposite, you do have quite a bit of evidence to discredit all of that and prove your point right?

I mean otherwise you're just making shit up to fit your predetermined conclusion.

Edit: Every major country has problems. Even as shown by those crime stats, there has been a small rise in violent crimes and the reports (and personal anecdotes) back that up. However, that is a far cry from the warzone, no go zone, societal collapse from migrants bullshit.

I mean, you're talking about stuff from 2014-2015. Which is pretty outdated at this point.

And even you admit yourself that there has been a rise in violent crime.

Do you suggest that an increase in violent crime is cause to do nothing at all?

The Lunatic:

I mean, you're talking about stuff from 2014-2015. Which is pretty outdated at this point.

Nobody has said that. Obviously, everybody is in favour of law and order, and that doesn't even need to be said.

I'm taking issue with a very specific image that has been peddled by those-- originally Fox, I believe, with reference to a mischaracterised Police report-- who have a political axe to grind.

We do not need to buy into this particular political narrative in order to want to tackle violent crime. Dealing with violent crime should not lead rational people to jump to the nearest scapegoat.

The Lunatic:

Avnger:

I'm talking about data from 2016 actually. You might want to actually look at the info linked above considering it's the latest official report available before dismissing it offhand. If you have more recent data, feel free to provide it to prove me wrong. We both know you don't though; you've made up your mind regardless of not having anything to back it up.

And as for the why? I mean it literally could be any reason (or combination of several) in the world. The report itself suggests that crime reporting changes plays a role in it. The fact that you're just throwing correlation doesn't equal causation out the window on a whim shows how much you're actually trying to analyze this situation impartially.

Also, it looks like I was slightly wrong:

Murder and manslaughter fell from 2015-2016[1]. Violence and Assault fell as well (though this one is a case of 2015 data)[2] Sexual offenses did go up 2015-2016 HOWEVER the report states that those rates have been increasing since 2005, in part, likely due to reporting changes[3].

Silvanus:
Look for actual, demonstrable evidence. Statistics. NGO/ charity reports. Police reports.

In this case, the evidence is lacking.

Now, I've said my piece on the actual topic - I don't believe that there is a massive issue, and I don't particularly like the bandwagonning by either side - but I do take issue with this statement.

Police are not necessarily trustworthy just because. Look at Hillsborough, look at Orgreave, look at Cologne. Look at the incredibly low number of racially motivated murders and anti-LGBT crimes in the US according to the published official data.

Likewise, charities often have influencing factors making them likely to inflate or deflate statistics within the realm of fudging to aid their cause.

All statistics must be taken with a pinch of salt, regardless of source.

This reminds me of the time that the Toronto Sun declared it the "Year of the Gun" because we had like, 50 gun murders instead of the usual 30 or whatever the hell it is. All this despite Toronto being something like the fourth safest major city in the world and almost always having less than a hundred total murders a year. Good shit.

So I guess, watch the fuck out y'all. Sweden is clearly the next Darfur.

altnameJag:
Phh, amateurs.

I mean seriously, if Sweden were a state, it'd be one of the safest states in the United States.

And somehow that's a "war zone"?

Silly liberals, always assuming Europeans use the USA as a yardstick for anything.

When violent crime explosively grows in small, concentrated cities in a country which is usually relatively peaceful we don't typically look at the US and say "Thats ok, just look over there, their country is irreversibly fucked and unsafe too so we have nothing to worry about!".

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

altnameJag:
Phh, amateurs.

I mean seriously, if Sweden were a state, it'd be one of the safest states in the United States.

And somehow that's a "war zone"?

Silly liberals, always assuming Europeans use the USA as a yardstick for anything.

When violent crime explosively grows in small, concentrated cities in a country which is usually relatively peaceful we don't typically look at the US and say "Thats ok, just look over there, their country is irreversibly fucked and unsafe too so we have nothing to worry about!".

I think you were missing the point. Every single state in the USA is more violent than Sweden. Sweden is apparently a war zone now.

Does that make the United States a warzone?

The point wasn't "oh the United States is worse, there's no problem." The point was "you're being hyperbolic."

Gethsemani:
That article exaggerates. Sweden is currently in the throes of a gang war, that's true, which accounts for a lot of the shootings and grenade throwings.

MIGRANT gang war. It's not the native Swedes who are shooting up police stations with AK 47s. Whenever you read an article about it, the perpetrator is always some migrant from Somalia or Afghanistan.

Sweden is definitely troubled, but the idea that 14 year olds would walk openly with assault rifles and bullet proofs vests is ludicrous.

Well then, I guess the Swedish police is lying. Must be that ultra conservative isolationist government telling them to do that.

CaitSeith:
Mexico called. He said "cry me a freaking river".

One of the safest and wealthiest countries in the world has become the equivalent of Mexico in a span of 5 years.
Nothing unusual there, right?

Pseudonym:
The murder rate is higher than that of neigbor countries Norway and Denmark but lower than that of neighbor country Finland.

The last bombing in Finland was in 2002.
In Sweden, there were 16 grenade attacks in 2017 alone (not counting bombs).
There was already one grenade explosion this year on the 7th of January in a subway station (nobody detonated it, it was just a dud left there by someone... a grenade just left in a subway station, everything is fine).

undeadsuitor:
.Interesting. Is this the crime equivalent of climate denial? Certainly has the same overwhelming evidence to one side while the other pretends their belief that there is nothing wrong is all that drives them.

It's like talking evolution with a bunch of creationists.
If you mention the topic, they want evidence. If you bring evidence, they'll say that "YOU WEREN'T THERE".

NemotheElvenPanda:

Who cares about Sharia Law? If there are PUBLIC places in your country that you might get killed in just for being there, where the police is scared to go to, that's a big problem that needs to be dealt with immediately, regardless of the cause, don't you think?

Vanilla ISIS:

Who cares about Sharia Law?

Apparently the people (read: anyone on the alt-right as well as Fox News-variety conservatives) thinking that Muslim immigrants are prowling the streets of Stockholm burning cars, assaulting women, shooting politicians and police, and throwing Qurans at anyone so much as drinking alcohol or eating pork.

If there are PUBLIC places in your country that you might get killed in just for being there, where the police is scared to go to, that's a big problem that needs to be dealt with immediately, regardless of the cause, don't you think?

As other people have mentioned many times before now, this is something that the Swedish police have been trying to do ever since they were restructured, and this is a problem that any sizable city is going to have. No one is against preventing crime, but people are against framing the causes of said crime on a singular, arguably vulnerable group of people. Scapegoating anyone in this situation isn't actually going to improve anything.

Samtemdo8:
No, which is why I want you guys to watch it and criticize it so I can have an alternate opinion.

And I prefer linking certain videos and have you guys review them in their entirety so you can tell me whats wrong with their claims.

That's not how this works.
You don't just get to throw out a video you yourself haven't even done the research on as something to strengthen your position and tell other people to dissect it and tell you what's wrong with it. If that particular video is going to be a strengthener for your argument, you had best know just what exactly it's saying and what data it's using.

You are the one responsible for reviewing these videos before posting them.
You are the one responsible for making sure what you're sharing actually says what you're trying to say.
You are the one responsible for your argument, not us.
It is not our bloody job to do your research for you.

If you cannot be assed to do your own damn research then just stay out of the discussion.

Samtemdo8:
^ Mostly because I don't want my computer history to have visited .gov sites because I have a phobia of these .gov sites invading my computer privacy. That is why I don't visit these police statistics sites.

That's not a phobia, that's paranoia, there are ways you can protect yourself if you're so paranoid about having your "computer privacy" invaded from a bloody website.

NemotheElvenPanda:
Apparently the people (read: anyone on the alt-right as well as Fox News-variety conservative) thinking that Muslim immigrants are prowling the streets of Stockholm burning cars, assaulting women, shooting politicians and police, and throwing Qurans at anyone so much as drinking alcohol or eating pork.

Get rid of anything Islam related in your sentence and you'll have the things that people are really worried about.
Who cares what their motives are? A violent crime is a violent crime.
Also, do you need to be alt right to find murder, rape and assault worrying?

this is a problem that any sizable city is going to have.

A gang armed with AK 47s shooting up and throwing grenades at a police station occurs in ANY SIZABLE CITY?
Where exactly?

Vanilla ISIS:
Get rid of anything Islam related in your sentence and you'll have the things that people are really worried about.

Again, this has always been a problem in Stockholm. This has been a problem in almost every major European city. Then, when there was the migrations, suddenly Stockholm's violence and rape is on everyone's front page even though, again, it's always been something of a problem.

While you probably don't blame this on Islam or immigration, lots of people however do. It's good, genuinely, that you show more concern about the crimes than the people who might be behind them, but that's the minority voice in all of this.

Who cares what their motives are? A violent crime is a violent crime.

I agree completely, but the people who are the most vocal about this don't actually care about the crimes but whom they can pin the crimes on.

Also, do you need to be alt right to find murder, rape and assault worrying?

You do when you think that murder, rape, and assault is suddenly the fault of an immigrant population. I am not saying that's your take on this, but it is one of the more prominent ones.

A gang armed with AK 47s shooting up and throwing grenades at a police station occurs in ANY SIZABLE CITY?
Where exactly?

Barring if this is something that actually happened, this is something of a regular issue in Mexico and the USA regularly has school shootings now, plus that whole fiasco with the militia overtaking a nature preserve to spite the government in a stand-still with police.

Sweden still has a much, much, much lower murder rate than the entire European continent. If the above happened, it's obviously a problem and it's one that needs to be handled, but it's not one that's typical.

Samtemdo8:

The only information that one of those websites can get from you accessing them is that your IP address accessed the website, because duh.

Google collects far more information about you, and you don't seem to be worried about that.

NemotheElvenPanda:
Again, this has always been a problem in Stockholm.

According to the stats, the numbers for rape, for example, have tripled since 2015.
that's not normal.

While you probably don't blame this on Islam or immigration, lots of people however do. It's good, genuinely, that you show more concern about the crimes than the people who might be behind them, but that's the minority voice in all of this.

When most of the perpetrators of violent crimes turn out to be immigrants that came with the recent refugee wave, you can't pretend like immigration has nothing to do with it.

I agree completely, but the people who are the most vocal about this don't actually care about the crimes but whom they can pin the crimes on.

Without finding or at least be willing to look for the perpetrators, you can't say that you care. If the police just "cared about the crimes" but didn't arrest the criminals, what good would they be?

You do when you think that murder, rape, and assault is suddenly the fault of an immigrant population.

Well... what if it is their fault, like in the article that I've posted in the OP? What do we do then? Face reality or pretend that it was somebody else?

Barring if this is something that actually happened, this is something of a regular issue in Mexico and the USA regularly has school shootings now, plus that whole fiasco with the militia overtaking a nature preserve to spite the government in a stand-still with police.

Why do you compare Mexico with Sweden? The cartels literally tell the Mexican president what to do. That country isn't a good comparison.
Also, nobody should take the death numbers from the US as average because they're enormous.

Sweden still has a much, much, much lower murder rate than the entire European continent.

Not counting areas like San Marino as countries, the lowest murder rate in Europe actually belongs to Austria, who's interestingly refusing to take refugees now, followed by Norway which practices very strict border checks for refugees.
Again, not saying that refugees are the cause, just seeing a pattern here.

Vanilla ISIS:

The last bombing in Finland was in 2002.
In Sweden, there were 16 grenade attacks in 2017 alone (not counting bombs).
There was already one grenade explosion this year on the 7th of January in a subway station (nobody detonated it, it was just a dud left there by someone... a grenade just left in a subway station, everything is fine).

The grenade was found outside a subway station and detonated when a man stopped, picked it up and tampered with it. Most likely it was left in place since the gang that intended to use it, you know, had to suddenly leave the area because something like a police patrol appeared.

It is tragic that the man died, but he was also obscenely negligent in observing the basic rule of approaching unexploded munitions: to assume that they can go off at any moment and never pick them up unless you know how and intend to defuse them.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here