If America is gone, would that make poor countries rich?

Pages PREV 1 2

Addendum_Forthcoming:

CM156:

Also if 300 million Americans died out on the 3rd/4th largest nation in terms of landmass (We're very close to China) would provide a lot of living space.

I read the question more as; "if the U.S. utterly disappeared from global consumption trends...", but I guess there's that, too.

No..... he was right, I did mean if all their entire population died.

Souplex:
If the landmass that is the United states were to disappear then ocean levels would sink significantly due to the loss of almost a continent of landmass.
Also sea trade between Europe and Asia would be cheaper.

No no no, just the people will die; the landmass stays.

dontwastemytime:

So why doesn't the world kill them all already so that poverty, homelessness, hunger and all those other bad things will disappear?

Because war for resources with a superpower that channels about half of the world's total defence spending is suicidal and would reap no benefits, short or long term? That such a war would devastate the planet, and likely create worse economic situations for everyone? Besides, there's easier ways to cheaper oil. Namely by undermining the U.S. economically and geopolitically, and watching breaking under its own weight in 20 years time.

Hell, even Australia has been caught with various oil shenanigans. Like the Oil-for-Food Program.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil-for-Food_Program_Hearings#Australian_Wheat_Board_Involvement

We help out in Iraq, we get blood oil through turning a blind eye to the less thanscrupulous nature of the AWB... both before and after the invasion.

Tongue-in-cheek wise you could say we had the most efficient biofuel program of converting wheat into petrol in the world.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

dontwastemytime:

So why doesn't the world kill them all already so that poverty, homelessness, hunger and all those other bad things will disappear?

Besides, there's easier ways to cheaper oil. Namely by undermining the U.S. economically and watching breaking under its own weight in 20 years time.

So..... after 20 years they will be all gone and then poor countries can now be rich countries?

And you're telling me those poor hungry people will have to wait 20 years?

dontwastemytime:

So..... after 20 years they will be all gone and then poor countries can now be rich countries?

No, you won't be 'all gone' ... but then again I can guarantee you your average American will be consuming less of the global share.

And those poor, hungry people will be dead people if there were a war.

dontwastemytime:

In fact and don't tell this to anyone..... I hate my country...... I hate my country so much...... I hate it because it asked for independence only to end up being poor and miserable.

It was "poor and miserable" before the USA ran it, and "poor and miserable" during the US's stewardship, too. Nor, I suspect, would it be better if the USA had continued to run it: Western countries didn't have colonies for the benefit of those colonies.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

dontwastemytime:

No, you won't be 'all gone' ...

No, not me......us...... -> they.....them.

dontwastemytime:

Okay, they ... but the point still stands.

dontwastemytime:
Puerto Rico can have their independence and can finally be rich and so will Hawaii.......aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand.......... to be honest I'm getting tired.

Well, I'd imagine the inhabitants of Puerto Rico would be glad to have been forgotten as Americans. Not sure how that'd work for Hawaii.

Thaluikhain:

dontwastemytime:
Puerto Rico can have their independence and can finally be rich and so will Hawaii.......aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand.......... to be honest I'm getting tired.

Well, I'd imagine the inhabitants of Puerto Rico would be glad to have been forgotten as Americans. Not sure how that'd work for Hawaii.

Look, I don't care about Puerto Rico or whatever....... can you do it or not?!

dontwastemytime:

Thaluikhain:

dontwastemytime:

Look, I don't care about Puerto Rico or whatever....... can you do it or not?!

Can you do what? That sounds less like a hypothetical thought experiment, and more like you're hunting for someone willing to commit genocide. What is your end goal here?

CM156:

Addendum_Forthcoming:

CM156:

Also if 300 million Americans died out on the 3rd/4th largest nation in terms of landmass (We're very close to China) would provide a lot of living space.

I read the question more as; "if the U.S. utterly disappeared from global consumption trends...", but I guess there's that, too.

And unlike, say, just to name a country, Australia, our massive space is actually habitable and not full of venomous emus and drop bears and whatnot.

To be fair, we do however have fauna of the claw and fang variety that will disembowel you and eat your eyes. We suffer from more shark attacks than the rest of the world (accounting for over 1/3 of them) and almost everywhere other than the northeast has poisonous spiders and snakes.

I mean, the snake/spider problem is nowhere even close as bad as australia, but then we have wolves, bears, mountain lions, wild boars, bobcats, wild dogs, etc.

The northeast US is about the only spot that is non-australian.

Also, does the OP realize that if a genie were to either kill all americans or all 325 million people of the US, that would INCLUDE puerto rico?

I like that the first thing the OP has done on this site besides these... quixotic threads is digging out and taking the MLP quiz.

Ah bronies. Ever the scourge of the internet. Shine on, crazy diamonds. It's almost like it's 2011 again.

dontwastemytime:

Souplex:
If the landmass that is the United states were to disappear then ocean levels would sink significantly due to the loss of almost a continent of landmass.

In that case there'd be a huge potentially World War starting land grab to take all the cities and natural resources that are suddenly available.

SupahEwok:
I like that the first thing the OP has done on this site besides these... quixotic threads is digging out and taking the MLP quiz.

I got 2 out of 10

Souplex:

dontwastemytime:

Souplex:

In that case there'd be a huge potentially World War starting land grab to take all the cities and natural resources that are suddenly available.

So what you're saying is that those anti-Ame's are wrong? They say that when you are gone, the world would be a utopia....

Armadox:
What is your end goal here?

My end goal is, I want to see what would happen to your haters?
Would they finally be happy?
Would they finally be at peace?
Would the world be at peace...... you know what that's a good question, I should ask that next time.

They say that poor countries exist because of you, so would those poor countries become rich?

They say that all problems are your fault so would those problems disappear.

........Or would they just hate someone else?

Look, I'm not a psychopath here okay. I know that most of the world's nations problems are created by themselves and they just blame you because it's easier that way. I know that all of you are just trying to survive like I do and most of you are innocent but still..... I want a concrete conclusion to my...... social experiment. So until all of you are dead...... I'm going to keep asking why the world hasn't done it yet.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

dontwastemytime:

Okay, they ... but the point still stands.

I'm sorry what was your point again? Can you just destroy them please?!

Who hurt you, OP?
What's that chip on your shoulder?
Why do you seem to care so much about random stranger's opinion on a purely hypothetical problem?

Ryotknife:

Also, does the OP realize that if a genie were to either kill all americans or all 325 million people of the US, that would INCLUDE puerto rico?

First off..... keep that fauna fauna thing that you're talking about away from here. I'm not talking about nature here, I'm talking about why the world hasn't destroyed them yet.

And second, fine, minus Puerto Rico then! I though majority of them voted to join the US but fine, whatever, I don't want to talk about Puerto Rico anymore.

dontwastemytime:

Ryotknife:

First off..... keep that fauna fauna thing that you're talking about away from here. I'm not talking about nature here, I'm talking about why the world hasn't destroyed them yet.

And second, fine, minus Puerto Rico then! I though majority of them voted to join the US but fine, whatever, I don't want to talk about Puerto Rico anymore.

Go home OP, you are drunk.

Well, I think it is safe to say that this thread isn't going anywhere great. OP, think long and hard about creating a new thread on this topic, because my patience is wearing thin.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked