What can we extrapolate from the deadlock in UK local elections?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

KingsGambit:
No, not in theory, in reality. In the actual world

In the actual world, at least in the west which I assumed was the area being discussed, Muslims tend to be of different demographics to the general population. The proportion of white British Muslim people isn't the same as the proportion of white British people. Racism is an issue,

KingsGambit:
Islam is not above criticism

Nobody is claiming it is. People are pointing out that Islam doesn't somehow have the monopoly on religious violence, nor is it impossible for people to have that faith and live peacefully in Western countries.

KingsGambit:
and you do not get to call people who are unhappy about it racists and xenophobes because of liberal "politically correct" sensibilities

No, I get to call people attacking Islam racist and xenophobes due to free speech. I choose to do when they are, and are using religion as an excuse.

KingsGambit:
Issues today are not coming from other faiths

Thaluikhain:
Christian terrorists exist today. Christians still kill LGBT people today. Christian religious leaders are abusing kids, and being protecting by other christian religious leaders today. Hell, Cardinal Pell, the third ranking Catholic priest after the Pope, is currently facing two trials in Australia about this.

Might also mention the Lord's Resistance Army and the Westboro Baptist Church, depending on how internationally you're not talking about Christian problems.

Thaluikhain:
No, I get to call people attacking Islam racist and xenophobes due to free speech. I choose to do when they are, and are using religion as an excuse.

Then with respect, you may need to learn what those words mean, because they do not mean what you think they mean. If you can tell me what race a Muslim is, and which race one is racist toward when criticising Islam, maybe that will clear the whole thing up? Also, what race is a Christian, since criticising religions now makes people racist?

Thaluikhain:
Might also mention the Lord's Resistance Army and the Westboro Baptist Church, depending on how internationally you're not talking about Christian problems.

That's the best you have? Westboro Baptist Church? 25 crazy morons? I rest my case.

KingsGambit:

Thaluikhain:

That's the best you have? Westboro Baptist Church? 25 crazy morons? I rest my case.

Did... did you simply not read the portion of that sentence before the "and" or did you just ignore it because it doesn't fit your beliefs?

I mean the LRA was a big fucking deal with the whole crimes against humanity indictments and such. Oh and typing LRA reminds me to bring up the IRA and Unionist paramilitaries during The Troubles.

=========================================================================

Here are some links for you to educate yourself about religious violence and terrorism across the world:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_and_violence - Buddhism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism#Contemporary - Christianity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saffron_terror - Hinduism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_religious_terrorism#Since_1948 - Jewish

Just for kicks, here's a fun link for your "throwing LGBT persons off roofs" comment earlier: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/how-uganda-was-seduced-by-anti-gay-conservative-evangelicals-9193593.html

KingsGambit:
Then with respect, you may need to learn what those words mean, because they do not mean what you think they mean. If you can tell me what race a Muslim is, and which race one is racist toward when criticising Islam, maybe that will clear the whole thing up? Also, what race is a Christian, since criticising religions now makes people racist?

This doesn't address a single thing he just said. It's nearly a complete non-sequitur.

This is a useful illustration. Non-Muslims have been targeted in Islamophobic attacks, assault and vandalism, because they have been mistaken for Muslims.

This is because those people are not judging who is a Muslim according to a carefully thought-out conversation with the individual in question. They are relying on visual cues and their own prejudiced associations-- and due to these assumptions, they're attacking people from certain demographics.

And that's racism.

Avnger:
Oh and typing LRA reminds me to bring up the IRA and Unionist paramilitaries during The Troubles.

I omitted that one as Ireland has mostly quieted down nowdays. Was worried the GFC would kick things off again, but fortunately not so far. Will see what Brexit does.

Having said that, a lot of people in positions of power then are in positions of people now. Same as Section 28, lot of supporters of that are still in power in UK, pretending to be LGBT allies nowdays.

Thaluikhain:

Having said that, a lot of people in positions of power then are in positions of people now. Same as Section 28, lot of supporters of that are still in power in UK, pretending to be LGBT allies nowdays.

Including the Prime Minister, who abstained from voting on it, but supported it in interviews.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here