Trump and Kim Jong Un summit

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Baffle2:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44242558

That is a truly crackers signature.

You aren't joking about the signature. That is...should that be worrying? It's more a surprise than any of the news report.

Remember when fox news said meeting with enemy States was tantamount to treason when Obama was in office

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/may/24/trump-cancels-north-korea-nuclear-summit

Methinks OP needs an edit.

But also, lol. He probably cancelled it because they wouldn't let him make that stupid fucking commemorative coin or whatever. XD

Xsjadoblayde:

You aren't joking about the signature. That is...should that be worrying? It's more a surprise than any of the news report.

It looks like he's printed out his ECG.

undeadsuitor:
Remember when fox news said meeting with enemy States was tantamount to treason when Obama was in office

Bruh, the next step to MAGA is getting Obama impeached. Obviously.

Anywho, while a bunch of people with dollar signs for pupils were going mildly nuts over the prospect of rebuilding North Korea/striping them of most of their natural resources, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop and here we are.

Cue the Hives, I guess.

Don't worry though, they're still shilling those stupid challenge coins. Real Americans won't ask for a refund.

Oh look, Trump is NOT going to fix North Korea, what a...no, no sarcasm. It was not a surprise. Trump is 100% bad and no one with any sense thought he was actually going to fix shit. He took credit for what other people did, then ruined all their hard work, now he is just spreading out beyond doing that to Obama.

altnameJag:
Don't worry though, they're still shilling those stupid challenge coins. Real Americans won't ask for a refund.

Ok so I had pretty much the same reaction when I first read the story, but there really is more to the challenge coin than Trump being Trump.

1. Challenge coins are ubiquitous in the US government and military, so this isn't some special occasion thing necessarily.
2. The White House Communications Agency is responsible for this specific coin, and it is not paid for using any budget money (from what I read).
3. The WHCA creates these challenge coins for every international trip the President takes (again, according to what I read).

None of that means this wasn't stupid, short-sighted, or "Trumpian," but it isn't as bad as it seems or that taskandpurpose article makes it out to be.

Baffle2:

MY SIGNATURE IS 18 TIMES LARGER THAN IT NEEDS TO BE BECAUSE THAT'S HOW IMPORTANT I AM.

PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!!!

No surprise the talks broke down.

In all likelihood, Trump made an impulsive, bullshitty decision on a topic he knew very little about in March - remember the evident confusion of the state department at the time, who clearly had no idea. Then a few months later it's suddenly become clear he has no fucking chance of getting what he wants from the talks, so he's grabbed an excuse to can them.

There's an outside chance this is an attempt to pressure NK, but it's far too cack-handed. For NK to come back and basically beg for them to continue would be tantamount to humiliatingly admitting their weakness, so they pretty much can't. Unless, perhaps, it's a smart play because the USA has some info that they're in real trouble.

I knew he wouldn't be able to keep it together long enough for this summit to actually happen.
My only immediate concern is the number of US journalists that are still in NK.

Oh look, the peace talks aren't happening, and Trump basically trolled North Korea.

Kinda like how he stiffed a lot of people over the years. Only now it's preventing a deescalation of war in the korean peninsula.

...Sooo...Peace prize when?

Agema:

MY SIGNATURE IS 18 TIMES LARGER THAN IT NEEDS TO BE BECAUSE THAT'S HOW IMPORTANT I AM.

PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!!!

Either that or he's only allowed crayons.

Trump pulling out of the talks almost kind of makes sense; NK has a habit of pulling out of these anyway, and they already looked like they were fixing to do that any moment now. Trump's atrophied, mollusc brain decided we might as well jump the gun and pull out first, presumably as a show of dominance. Unfortunately for him, NK can simply play this as NK being the reasonable, diplomatic ones and America as the aggressive, talk dodging ones (not that it'll convince anyone but themselves).

Baffle2:

Agema:

PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!!!

Either that or he's only allowed crayons.

I figured it would be those erasable pens. Crayons can be hard to get off walls. =/

It also makes it convenient for his minders to be able to erase signatures if he just starts grabbing random files.

Huh. Well, that's disappointing and inexplicable.

A treaty with North Korea could have basically saved Trump's presidency and retroactively justified all the shit he's done up until now. But it was just bullshit. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised; he was never going to be capable of pulling off the negotiations, so walking away in a huff preserves his ego and makes him feel like the winner.

Agema:

PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!!!

Annnnd that cheered me up. Briefly.

maninahat:
Trump pulling out of the talks almost kind of makes sense; NK has a habit of pulling out of these anyway, and they already looked like they were fixing to do that any moment now. Trump's atrophied, mollusc brain decided we might as well jump the gun and pull out first, presumably as a show of dominance. Unfortunately for him, NK can simply play this as NK being the reasonable, diplomatic ones and America as the aggressive, talk dodging ones (not that it'll convince anyone but themselves).

Trump agreeing to make overtures to NK given progress made was the right thing to do overall. But it should have been done after proper consultation and advice from various government departments, with a clear idea of what was likely. After that, with a need for carefulness, John Bolton and Trump himself ham-fistedly blundered around in a deeply undiplomatic way and raised frictions.

Much, I suspect, is about Trump's narcissism. His ignorance had led to unrealistic expectations when he first agreed to talks. He fancies himself "master of the deal" and must have increasingly become aware there was no great deal to achieve, no great victory where he was going to stride back to the USA having outplayed and outnegotiated his opponent. The best it was ever going to be was a relatively modest relaxation where the USA was going to have to give as well as take. Any improvement that could be made on the international scene is secondary to padding his own ego.

Baffle2:

That is an accurate observation. Or at least tried tracing it with marker pen while experiencing a fit of sorts, probably from seeing another less-than-flattering news report.

Agema:
In all likelihood, Trump made an impulsive, bullshitty decision on a topic he knew very little about in March - remember the evident confusion of the state department at the time, who clearly had no idea. Then a few months later it's suddenly become clear he has no fucking chance of getting what he wants from the talks, so he's grabbed an excuse to can them.

There's an outside chance this is an attempt to pressure NK, but it's far too cack-handed. For NK to come back and basically beg for them to continue would be tantamount to humiliatingly admitting their weakness, so they pretty much can't. Unless, perhaps, it's a smart play because the USA has some info that they're in real trouble.

Dunno, could have just be him making lots of impressive promises he doesn't intend to fulfill, and then blaming someone else when it's not possible.

BreakfastMan:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/may/24/trump-cancels-north-korea-nuclear-summit

But also, lol. He probably cancelled it because they wouldn't let him make that stupid fucking commemorative coin or whatever. XD

It seems that Nobel Peace Prize just slipped out of his little hands... /s

In fact, did anyone here actually believe he was going to receive that prize? Or were they just being "ironic"?

CaitSeith:

BreakfastMan:

In fact, did anyone here actually believe he was going to receive that prize? Or were they just being "ironic"?

Like I said, South Korea was willing to say/ do anything to Try and get Trump to the table. They still are willing to. I am still not convinced it is not going to happen at some point. Either:
1) They are doing some build up to increase the staged suspense as Trump likes to do on his reality shows. Trump is all about staged/ fake crap. His inauguration cake was not even real. He is "the fake president" for a reason.

2) South Korea will kiss his arse some more and he will cave.

3)His idiot advisers and administration will prevent him from doing it and make a bigger mess of things.

Hopefully it is not the last one, though with his administration it is not unlikely.

CaitSeith:

BreakfastMan:

Well Zontar seemed to think he had a shot.

Can't help but notice he's been a no show in this thread ever since it was made clear it isn't happening.

erttheking:

Can?t help but notice he?s been a no show in this thread ever since it was made clear it isn?t happening.

Don't speak too soon. It might go ahead yet, or in a year or two, etc.: that's the thing with Trump being so unpredictable. Of course, no idea how on earth he'll get through negotiations, given that same unpredictability means he's unlikely to be trusted to hold up his end of a bargain. Nor is are the Trump fanbois going to miss a beat - they'll just conveniently forget the "diplomatic victory" and "Nobel prize" they were so vociferously championing a few weeks ago and move on to whatever.

I did find Trump's missive hilarious in another aspect though. Imagine a break-up letter that went "Dear X, I don't like you any more, so I'm dumping you. But if you change your mind, I'll be willing to take you back." Er, right... you dumped me, fuckwit.

Normally, these sorts of letters are carefully drafted by professionals to cover all sorts of diplomatic and political bases. But in another display of Trump's imperial, autocratic attitude, he just dictated something off the top of his head to a secretary. It shows.

Agema:

erttheking:

Can?t help but notice he?s been a no show in this thread ever since it was made clear it isn?t happening.

Don't speak too soon. It might go ahead yet, or in a year or two, etc.: that's the thing with Trump being so unpredictable. Of course, no idea how on earth he'll get through negotiations, given that same unpredictability means he's unlikely to be trusted to hold up his end of a bargain.

When negotiating with someone like Trump, your likely target is a favorable breach of contract. So I'd assume North Korea will negotiate on that basis.

Lil devils x:

CaitSeith:

BreakfastMan:

Like I said, South Korea was willing to say/ do anything to Try and get Trump to the table. They still are willing to. I am still not convinced it is not going to happen at some point. Either:
1) They are doing some build up to increase the staged suspense as Trump likes to do on his reality shows. Trump is all about staged/ fake crap. His inauguration cake was not even real. He is "the fake president" for a reason.

3)His idiot advisers and administration will prevent him from doing it and make a bigger mess of things.

Hopefully it is not the last one, though with his administration it is not unlikely.

So suddenly the summit is still on? GO figure. Not like you couldn't see that coming a mile a way. He treats everything like he is on a reality TV show so not surprising in the least.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/26/trump-north-korea-white-house-advance-planning-singapore-609616

I was never convinced it was actually cancelled. He just thinks it needed " more suspense" and has to keep himself in the news as he thrives off it.

Lil devils x:

Lil devils x:

CaitSeith:

So suddenly the summit is still on? GO figure. Not like you couldn't see that coming a mile a way. He treats everything like he is on a reality TV show so not surprising in the least.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/26/trump-north-korea-white-house-advance-planning-singapore-609616

I was never convinced it was actually cancelled. He just thinks it needed " more suspense" and has to keep himself in the news as he thrives off it.

no you're not thinking enough like trump. he's using the same tactics he used when he was a young business owner (because he is incapable of doing anything else) he thinks pulling out of the deal and then going back in is showing Kim that he doesn't need the deal and therefore putting pressure on Kim to give Trump a better deal.
in actually it is showing the world you can't trust the US anymore not only as the leader of the free world but as a country at all.

BreakfastMan:

So that was planned, eh? I was joking a little why ago about why Trump hadn't pushed yet to take Ben Franklin's face off the $100 note so it could be replaced with his own. This isn't quite the same, but still, kind of close.

Chimpzy:

BreakfastMan:

So that was planned, eh? I was joking a little why ago about why Trump hadn't pushed yet to take Ben Franklin's face off the $100 note so it could be replaced with his own. This isn't quite the same, but still, kind of close.

Nah, Trump always has to be the biggerest so he's waiting until he can make a special $500 bill more impressive than all the others that he can have his face on

Palindromemordnilap:

Chimpzy:

BreakfastMan:

Nah, Trump always has to be the biggerest so he's waiting until he can make a special $500 bill more impressive than all the others that he can have his face on

Those have actually existed in the past, as well as $1.000, $5.000 and $10.000 (also $100.000 but those were only for intragovernmental use, not public) notes. So there is historical precedent, even though they were rendered obsolete by electronic money systems and few people outside of banks and government institutions ever used them. They're technically also still legal tender.

Palindromemordnilap:

Chimpzy:

BreakfastMan:

Can't help but feel this is more in line with Trump:

Funny, Trump almost does something good, and the whole thread has to pat eachother on the back because "phew, that was a close one"

Well, here's another perspective.

(Admittedly, this guy rambles a bit. He still makes good points, but you can be better served by bumping up the video speed to 1.25 or 1.5 if you can still follow him.)

Signa:
Funny, Trump almost does something good, and the whole thread has to pat eachother on the back because "phew, that was a close one"

(Admittedly, this guy rambles a bit. He still makes good points, but you can be better served by bumping up the video speed to 1.25 or 1.5 if you can still follow him.)

Um what? According to Trump this is still happening, just like I said above.

For a second there, I thought that guy was the guy who was evicted from his parents house. I never thought that it wasn't happening. This is just what Trump does.

Lil devils x:

Signa:

Um what? According to Trump this is still happening, just like I said above.

For a second there, I thought that guy was the guy who was evicted from his parents house. I never thought that it wasn't happening. This is just what Trump does.

Sorry, I have a bad habit of skimming and skipping when there's about 3 posts in a row that use different words to say the exact same thing. A pattern was emerging, so I needed to comment on that.

Signa:

Uhhh, no. The thread was a bunch of people cautiously observing the situation but preparing for the Trump Administration to do something that puts the entire thing in jeopardy because that's just how things have gone when Trump is in control of something. The thing happened, nobody was surprised.

But now there's talks of trying to get the summit to happen again so at this point who the fuck knows what's going on anymore.

Dr. Thrax:

Signa:

Uhhh, no. The thread was a bunch of people cautiously observing the situation but preparing for the Trump Administration to do something that puts the entire thing in jeopardy because that's just how things have gone when Trump is in control of something. The thing happened, nobody was surprised.

But now there's talks of trying to get the summit to happen again so at this point who the fuck knows what's going on anymore.

It is pretty much what I expected to happen. If you have seen how Trump does things, this is exactly what you should expect him to do. Then when he does go, he will be his usual belligerent self promoting braggart dunce and Kim Jong Un will likely see that there is really nothing more to him, he really is that stupid and see the US as weaker for it but also be willing to put on a show and manipulate what he has to if that means he will benefit from doing so.

Lil devils x:
-Snorp-

I'll admit to being flippant with my last sentence.

This is pretty predictable behavior on Trump's part because he's still trying to run this country like a business and thinking his "businessman power moves" will apply in exactly the same way and have the same effect in international diplomacy. All this really does is further cement that the US cannot be trusted anymore whether you're our ally, and especially so for an enemy who wishes to attempt to broker any kind of peace with the US or anyone who wants the US' help to broker peace with an ally. The biggest problem with his strategy, however, is that he can't just declare bankruptcy and slink away if/when he spectacularly fucks something up.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here