Tommy Robinson Arrested for "Breaching the Peace"

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Good. British law enforcement seems to be, by and large, a bunch of inefficient arbitrary nonsense but they do seem to be quite effective when it comes to fighting fascist propaganda. Here in Germany someone like him would get a slap on the wrist and, at best, a small fine.

Itdoes go pretty far sometimes but seeing how UKIP is under 5% and the even farther right parties are all but nonexistent it seems to work. Good on them..

I mean, the rise of the far right is by now an international emergency and should be treated as such. The UK appears to be the only European country aware of that and willing to take the appropriate measures against it.

EquestrianGeneral:
If I were in the UK, this is the part where I'd unironically be afraid of what I say in public.

Well I am in the UK and I'm not afraid at all so you're kind of overdoing it here.
I'm not really seeing what the problem is here. Dude carried out some childish antics that got him a sentence before and is somehow surprised that doing it again, shock horror, gets him into trouble again. I'm not even entirely sure why he decided to do shit like this other than he's apparently a massive prick (which, given he helped found the EDL, really isn't a surprise)

Palindromemordnilap:

EquestrianGeneral:
If I were in the UK, this is the part where I'd unironically be afraid of what I say in public.

Well I am in the UK and I'm not afraid at all so you're kind of overdoing it here.
I'm not really seeing what the problem is here. Dude carried out some childish antics that got him a sentence before and is somehow surprised that doing it again, shock horror, gets him into trouble again. I'm not even entirely sure why he decided to do shit like this other than he's apparently a massive prick (which, given he helped found the EDL, really isn't a surprise)

very much this.
guy got a warning but chose to ignore it so now he's suffering the consequences.

Good. The law is working as intended. Don't be a dick.

PsychedelicDiamond:

The UK appears to be the only European country aware of that and willing to take the appropriate measures against it.

Have you been paying any attention to the UK over the past 2 years?

Is your definition of appropriate measures, "Give them everything they want"?

Ninjamedic:

PsychedelicDiamond:

The UK appears to be the only European country aware of that and willing to take the appropriate measures against it.

Have you been paying any attention to the UK over the past 2 years?

Is your definition of appropriate measures, "Give them everything they want"?

I mean, they actively prosecute far right propaganda, ban people like Lauren Southern or the member of the Identitarian Movement from entry, actually meaningfully enforce their hatespeech laws... I'd say if they'd manage to actively fight the Murdoc press they'd be on a better way than the rest of Europe.

Sargon of Akkad exposing is favoritism to the English Defense League by stating that Tommy Robinson should be placed in solitary confinement or else he will go to a jail full of extremist muslim prison gangs which presumably will endanger Tommy:

And stating that England is not a free country if you say bad things about immigration and muslims.

These people think that they are in a 1984 Orwellian Nightmare were criticizing Islam and Immigration is considered a Thoughtcrime.

EquestrianGeneral:

Good times over in the UK. 100% indefensible actions by the police, honestly. If I were in the UK, this is the part where I'd unironically be afraid of what I say in public.

As was repeatedly pointed out by Tommy Robinson in those very articles, he didn't say anything before he was arrested. So you wouldn't need to be worried about what you said, because saying something was evidently not the problem.

From what I can gather, the problem is that the trial Robinson was recording is under a media ban; it is under a media ban until conclusion because of concerns that public reporting may prejudice the case. Now, Robinson is currently under a suspended sentence for contempt of court for doing this same thing a few months earlier, and this is likely to be a breach of his suspension.

Robinson (real name Stephen Lennon) is, let's not forget, a convicted criminal; mostly for numerous assaults (including against a police officer) and mortgage fraud, apart from varied other offences such as the aforementioned contempt of court. A truly lovely man, I'm sure we all agree.

Christ, if Tommy Robinson were a black American, half the people cheering him now would instead be cheering a cop for shooting him 10-15 years ago.

Agema:

EquestrianGeneral:

Good times over in the UK. 100% indefensible actions by the police, honestly. If I were in the UK, this is the part where I'd unironically be afraid of what I say in public.

As was repeatedly pointed out by Tommy Robinson in those very articles, he didn't say anything before he was arrested. So you wouldn't need to be worried about what you said, because saying something was evidently not the problem.

From what I can gather, the problem is that the trial Robinson was recording is under a media ban; it is under a media ban until conclusion because of concerns that public reporting may prejudice the case. Now, Robinson is currently under a suspended sentence for contempt of court for doing this same thing a few months earlier, and this is likely to be a breach of his suspension.

Robinson (real name Stephen Lennon) is, let's not forget, a convicted criminal; mostly for numerous assaults (including against a police officer) and mortgage fraud, apart from varied other offences such as the aforementioned contempt of court. A truly lovely man, I'm sure we all agree.

Christ, if Tommy Robinson were a black American, half the people cheering him now would instead be cheering a cop for shooting him 10-15 years ago.

And a bit of a child predator when he tweeted how attractive these female muslims he was chatting with on Twitter, even though they were 15 years old.

Samtemdo8:

And a bit of a child predator when he tweeted how attractive these female muslims he was chatting with on Twitter, even though they were 15 years old.

Well, let's not go that far. We shouldn't really call someone a child predator unless they are pursuing sexual targets they have reason to believe are below the age of consent.

Although, that said, 30/40-somethings chasing teenagers is pretty creepy even if it's a 16+ who can give consent. It suggests some pretty unhealthy attitudes to relationships.

Well, that's probably inappropriate. I can't seem to find much information on what it is he was doing exactly.

I did find out that he was on a suspended sentence for a prior contempt conviction, which explains the people on Twitter blowing up about how he was "sentenced and jailed in hours." A suspended sentence is basically probation for the entirety of the jail term; if you commit any offence whatsoever during the probationary period, the full prior sentence is reimposed. In this case, he went straight back to jail.

Edit: Okay, so it was a child molestation case and he was filming the trial participants as they entered the courtroom. That's sympathetic, but it's also fair from the court's point of view. If they're trying to protect the identities of the people involved in the trial and passed an order to that effect, they can hold him in contempt for that.

On an unrelated note, what is it with these far-right nationalists and the shaved-at-the-sides haircut? It's the same haircut that Richard Spencer and those Charlottesville blokes had. Is there some secret hipster Nazi haircut code going on here?

bastardofmelbourne:
Well, that's probably inappropriate. I can't seem to find much information on what it is he was doing exactly.

I did find out that he was on a suspended sentence for a prior contempt conviction, which explains the people on Twitter blowing up about how he was "sentenced and jailed in hours." A suspended sentence is basically probation for the entirety of the jail term; if you commit any offence whatsoever during the probationary period, the full prior sentence is reimposed. In this case, he went straight back to jail.

What's the difference between a suspended sentence and a probation? Or is it a case where they both mean the same thing, just one sounds less sinister?

Is a suspended sentence kind of like a guarantee of probation after a certain amount of time, or ...?

Addendum_Forthcoming:
What's the difference between a suspended sentence and a probation? Or is it a case where they both mean the same thing, just one sounds less sinister?

Is a suspended sentence kind of like a guarantee of probation after a certain amount of time, or ...?

A person with a suspended sentence doesn't go to jail at all. They're convicted, sentenced, the judge declares that the sentence is suspended, and then they're uncuffed and let out on probation. It's used to alleviate overcrowding and to punish crimes that are serious enough to merit a criminal conviction but not so serious as to merit actual jail time.

The other type of probation - or parole, more accurately - is where a person who's already in jail applies to be released on probation. It's very similar, but parole comes after the convict has already served a mandatory portion of their sentence incarcerated.

Then there's probation as a punishment in and of itself, which is used for misdemeanour offences that don't merit jail time in the first place. That's essentially the same as a suspended sentence; the only difference is that the sentence didn't involve jail time to start with.

And all of those are distinct from time served, which is where the convict is credited with the time they spent in remand (the prison you go to when you're awaiting trial and can't pay bail) as a reduction of their overall sentence.

PsychedelicDiamond:

I mean, they actively prosecute far right propaganda,

Such as? Cambridge Analytica got a slap on the wrist, Leveson was axed, and the press is free to call Corbyn a traitor all dya long.

Then there's the "Enemies Of The People" headline the Daily Mail ran.

ban people like Lauren Southern or the member of the Identitarian Movement from entry,

While cutting a coalition with a political party whose entire raison detre is Far-Right Identitarianism that's far more extensive, prolific and dangerous than anyone like Southern could hope to be.

actually meaningfully enforce their hatespeech laws...

Provided the defendant is working class of course.

I'd say if they'd manage to actively fight the Murdoc press they'd be on a better way than the rest of Europe.

Yeah, just the Murdoch press. And Dacre. And Farage. And The Tory Hard-Right. And The UUP. And the DUP. And The Orange Order...

EquestrianGeneral:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6376643/tommy-robinson-english-defence-league-edl-arrested-facebook-video-grooming-trial/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/tommy-robinson-arrested-leeds-court-child-grooming-trial-edl-founder-latest-a8368821.html

https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/25/tommy-robinson-arrested-outside-child-grooming-trial-breaching-peace-7579280/

*looks up Tommy Robinson*

Hm, maybe you should reconsider the stuff you want to say in public then?

Agema:

10-15 years ago? Don't you mean current year?

England is a nanny state. Shouldn't be surprised they do this when they actively work to suppress investigations around sex gangs and grooming gangs.

Can't have anyone wise up after all.

I'm more worried about the media black out that's been imposed on the British media now. It's very a "black hood" feeling.

I get that Tommy Robinson is a cunt but the speed with which he was arrested, tried and sentenced while not being allowed to see a lawyer for not really doing anything then imposing a media black out is pretty terrifying.

Agema:
*Robinson (real name Stephen Lennon) is, let's not forget, a convicted criminal; mostly for numerous assaults (including against a police officer) and mortgage fraud, apart from varied other offences such as the aforementioned contempt of court. A truly lovely man, I'm sure we all agree.

This is something of a recurring problem in most far-right political groups in Europe, it seems. There's a distinct over-representation of men with criminal records (often of the violent variety), who keep talking about how we must get rid of the immigrants because they are all criminals. I'd find it all amusing if they weren't so distressingly successful.

Here Comes Tomorrow:

I get that Tommy Robinson is a cunt but the speed with which he was arrested, tried and sentenced while not being allowed to see a lawyer for not really doing anything then imposing a media black out is pretty terrifying.

Home Office probably wants the spectacle of him being arrested to distract from Windrush and the NI border.

Ninjamedic:

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Home Office probably wants the spectacle of him being arrested to distract from Windrush and the NI border.

As the OP's articles and a few in this thread have mentioned, the guy was under a suspended sentence. He's been thrown in jail as quickly as he has because its not punishment for this incident thats been rushed through, its punishment from another incident where he's already been convicted in court. He got told "okay we won't send you to jail for this as long as you can just not do this again"...and he went and did it again. So his ass has ended up jail. Not really a conspiracy, just a douchebag continuing to prove he's a douchebag

Fuck me. Forget brexit or the rest of the bullshit going on actually harming actual people, it's this cunt's pointless privilege we all need to be worrying about.

bastardofmelbourne:

A person with a suspended sentence doesn't go to jail at all. They're convicted, sentenced, the judge declares that the sentence is suspended, and then they're uncuffed and let out on probation. It's used to alleviate overcrowding and to punish crimes that are serious enough to merit a criminal conviction but not so serious as to merit actual jail time.

The other type of probation - or parole, more accurately - is where a person who's already in jail applies to be released on probation. It's very similar, but parole comes after the convict has already served a mandatory portion of their sentence incarcerated.

Then there's probation as a punishment in and of itself, which is used for misdemeanour offences that don't merit jail time in the first place. That's essentially the same as a suspended sentence; the only difference is that the sentence didn't involve jail time to start with.

And all of those are distinct from time served, which is where the convict is credited with the time they spent in remand (the prison you go to when you're awaiting trial and can't pay bail) as a reduction of their overall sentence.

Ahhh, that makes sense. I can see that. So I imagine a suspended sentence can include other obligations, however? Like community service? Wait, so if a convict can't afford bail, that doesn't mean they're automatically considered as having already time served? That seems ... arse backwards.

So let's say if you can't afford bail, but are either acquitted or found innocent of charges, does that mean you're granted compensation for hardship?

Also what happens if a potential convict has been remanded longer than the maximum penalty for a crime they are convicted for? Like let's say you're remanded for a host of serious charges, but are acquitted or found innocent of the grand majority othem barring one or two,and you've already been remanded for that entire time as the charges would nominally allow?

Here Comes Tomorrow:
I'm more worried about the media black out that's been imposed on the British media now. It's very a "black hood" feeling.

Is this a self- imposed blackout or a government imposed one? Either one isn't good, but if the latter, it's worse.

Here Comes Tomorrow:

What "media black-out"? The Op literally uses news-media links as the substance of the post - or were you being ironically hyperbolic?

TIL that filing outside a courthouse is "breaching the peace."

Yes, I know, I get the argument of maintaining the anonymity of the suspects for a trial, but after Dunkula and Southern, this is obscene.

Kwak:

Here Comes Tomorrow:

What "media black-out"? The Op literally uses news-media links as the substance of the post - or were you being ironically hyperbolic?

The articles only report his arrest, not that he's been sentenced. If you google it the only sources for his being sentenced are American.

Here Comes Tomorrow:

The articles only report his arrest, not that he's been sentenced. If you google it the only sources for his being sentenced are American.

Are you inferring that there's a media blackout from that? If one is in place, then how come those American outlets had access?

I've had a quick look, and the only outlets I can find that talk about sentencing are extremely untrustworthy.

Hawki:

Yes, I know, I get the argument of maintaining the anonymity of the suspects for a trial, but after Dunkula and Southern, this is obscene.

This is unlikely to be about anonymity for suspects during a trial. It's almost certainly a temporary block on reporting in case jurors read inflammatory articles during the case which prejudice their decision. Were that to happen, the judge might deem it has compromised the case, resulting in the collapse of the trial and having to restart proceedings. This would be distressing for many people (especially the victims), and expensive in terms of time and money.

Here Comes Tomorrow:

It is basically impossible to be arrested, tried and sentenced that quickly. However if, as seems likely, he has breached a condition of an ongoing suspended sentence, that's a different matter and a judge can easily revoke the suspension. The "media blackout" is potentially the result of the above, because coverage of Tommy Robinson inevitably draws undesired attention to the case which the judge is trying to prevent being compromised.

It would really help if various stripes of white nationalists / identitatarians / etc. bothered to check what's really going on rather than knee-jerking complaints every time one of their criminal allies gets themselves in hot water.

Addendum_Forthcoming:
So I imagine a suspended sentence can include other obligations, however? Like community service?

Yeah. Any of the normal rules for probation would apply. They might be required to check in periodically with a parole officer, or wear an ankle bracelet or return to the jail at night. It depends on the judge's discretion.

Addendum_Forthcoming:
Wait, so if a convict can't afford bail, that doesn't mean they're automatically considered as having already time served? That seems ... arse backwards.

Whether or not the final sentence is credited with time served usually depends on the judge. It's not guaranteed.

This is why it's important not to piss off a judge.

Addendum_Forthcoming:
So let's say if you can't afford bail, but are either acquitted or found innocent of charges, does that mean you're granted compensation for hardship?

Nope!

Addendum_Forthcoming:
Also what happens if a potential convict has been remanded longer than the maximum penalty for a crime they are convicted for? Like let's say you're remanded for a host of serious charges, but are acquitted or found innocent of the grand majority othem barring one or two,and you've already been remanded for that entire time as the charges would nominally allow?

In that case, normally the judge would just rule time served and you'd be set free immediately, because you'd have already "served" the required time in prison while awaiting trial. You don't get compensated for the "overtime," so to speak.

Here Comes Tomorrow:

I want to be specific about this, because it's a fairly complicated procedural scenario; Robinson was not arrested, tried and sentenced all in the span of a day. He'd already been sentenced for an unrelated contempt of court charge, and the only reason he wasn't in jail already was because the sentence had been suspended. When he started filming the defendants in the child sex abuse case in contradiction of the court order protecting their identities, that counted as a second contempt of court offence, which violated the terms of his probation and triggered the original sentence being reimposed.

If this second offence merits a trial, then he will have to go through that at a later date, and he may be sentenced again for that second offence. Until now, he is in jail serving time for the first sentence, which had been suspended up until he violated the terms of the suspension by ignoring another court order.

Hawki:
TIL that filing outside a courthouse is "breaching the peace."

It would have been contempt rather than breaching the peace. Unless he raised a ruckus about it.

I can't say for sure without actually seeing the conduct of the police officers, but usually a cop outside the court will go "hold on, no cameras," and then ask you to delete what you'd filmed. He'd only arrest you if you refused. Or if he was a colossal twat.

I don't think this guy ought've been arrested over this, because it's a fairly common and noxious abuse of power for police to re-incarcerate convicts who have been paroled or whose sentence has been suspended on the basis of petty violations of their probation. Like a parole officer who sends you back to jail because he catches you smoking in a no-smoking area or some shit. But he also shouldn't have been filming in the first place. If he was told to stop and didn't, then that's his deal.

Plus, all it really does is get this guy more attention and fuel the overall martyr complex. These ethno-nationalist blokes all love to complain about how they're being persecuted by the deep nanny police state or some shit.

Agema:

It would really help if various stripes of white nationalists / identitatarians / etc. bothered to check what's really going on rather than knee-jerking complaints every time one of their criminal allies gets themselves in hot water.

My postulation was based on the idea that the Tories would want another distraction after the antisemitism row ran its course. This is at a time where another minister has let out another terrifying gaffe: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-44213178

Palindromemordnilap:
So his ass has ended up jail. Not really a conspiracy, just a douchebag continuing to prove he's a douchebag

Who said it needs to be a conspiracy? Just get people shouting over this as opposed to something like what I just linked. The SYP pulled it in the wake of Rotherham and it worked.

bastardofmelbourne:
On an unrelated note, what is it with these far-right nationalists and the shaved-at-the-sides haircut? It's the same haircut that Richard Spencer and those Charlottesville blokes had. Is there some secret hipster Nazi haircut code going on here?

Possibly. Look up pictures of Hitlerjugend. There is similarity. Although afaik, that hairstyle was not specifically a Nazi thing, and fairly popular with boys and young men all over the western world.

Chimpzy:

bastardofmelbourne:

Possibly. Look up pictures of Hitlerjugend. There is similarity. Although afaik, that hairstyle was not specifically a Nazi thing, and fairly popular with boys and young men all over the western world.

And Miley Cyrus a few years back. Though she's grown her hair longer now, and now I can't help wondering if she was turned off that style by the alt-right.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked