Trump insults Heroes of Hurricane Harvey

Remember all those people who brought out their own boats, rafts, and even kids being rescued in a refrigerator? Yea, they just came out to watch the hurricane and let everyone else do the work according to Trump.

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - President Donald Trump is mischaracterizing the thousands of water rescues in Texas last year during Hurricane Harvey by saying "people went out in their boats to watch" the deadly Category 4 storm.

TRUMP: "I have to tell you, the Coast Guard saved 16,000 people. ... And I think, you know, honestly, they don't get enough credit in many ways. ... Saved 16,000 people, many of them in Texas, for whatever reason that is. People went out in their boats to watch the hurricane. That didn't work out too well. That didn't work out too well."

THE FACTS: Some of the most powerful images from Hurricane Harvey were flooded Houston streets swarming with volunteer boaters, who answered the call of overwhelmed first responders and used their personal watercraft to rescue families from their homes.

There is no indication the Coast Guard was busy saving the lives of foolhardy hurricane gawkers drifting off the Texas coast. Coast Guard Petty Officer Edward Wargo of Houston said Thursday the service didn't take note of how or why people got stranded during Harvey, but said most rescues appeared to occur within city limits and neighborhoods.

Before Harvey made landfall, the Coast Guard had urged the public to "stay off the water." The Coast Guard performed several rescues in the waters off the Texas coast as Harvey first arrived, but those included commercial vessels and tugboats.

Harvey dumped nearly 50 inches of rain near Houston and left swaths of the nation's fourth-largest city underwater. The Coast Guard has reported it rescued more than 11,000 people during Harvey, which doesn't count those rescued by local authorities or an armada of volunteer boaters. Houston police used Twitter to urge "anyone with a boat who can volunteer to help" to get in touch.

https://apnews.com/60f2509c303c423abd6111af2bb04acd
Now considering that even among the 11,000 rescues reported by the coast guard, that many of those were two part rescues where the people were transported to the rescue point where the coast guard picked them up by civilians who just took it upon themselves to help out their fellow human being to make sure they made it to that point alive before going back out to find more people who needed help, there were also many more that were civilian rescues that are not included as well.

It is pretty disgusting that Trump would disparage their help rather than commend them for risking their own lives to save others. It does not even make sense for him to do so, as many of those rescuing people out there were trump supporters as well and he just alienated them for no apparent reason.

Honestly he may think that's legitimately what they were doing. He may have looked at the pictures and thought "Wow what are those people doing out there in the dirty water? Are they stupid? It's disgusting".

That quote of his was from a meeting discussing future hurricane preparation, and for a good chunk of it he was just talking about how amazing he is. He treats every single event like it's a campaign rally because that's all he knows how to do. He's not actually invested in giving a shit about things like this. Hell, Puerto Rico was a tiny footnote during this meeting despite how much of a fuck up that whole situation was and STILL is. Puerto Rico should be his Katrina, but it's not. So much of what he says and does, and what his administration says and does, just gets swallowed up by new scandals without any consequences being doled out for the previous ones. This is just another horrible thing to add to the pile, and for people to forget about in a few days. I truly despise the political ignorance and apathy of this nation.

Well, not being funny, but the "Facts" box is kind of lacking actual numbers, for an article aiming to debunk something. It's heavily based on anecdote and individual stories.

You have to bear in mind that this was at a meeting discussing emergency preparedness. So it's not the worst way he can fuck up, if the alternative is convincing himself there is rationale for cutting Coast Guard funding.

That said, bit fucking churlish from a guy who's biggest concern with hurricanes is how it affects his golf.

Saelune:

This is the guy who didn't do shit for Puerto Rico, you think he has any respect for Hurricane Harvey victims?

WolvDragon:

This is the guy who didn't do shit for Puerto Rico, you think he has any respect for Hurricane Harvey victims?

He doesn't have respect for anyone but foreign dictators like Putin, Kim, Duterte, and Xi Jinping. He disrespects victims of natural disasters, women, US Soldiers, foreigners, Muslims, Catholics, gays, women again, Democrats, Republicans, etc.

Meanwhile people who LOVE Trump for all this shit ofcourse hypocritically bash people like Michele Wolf and Samantha Bee for saying the god damn truth.

Saelune:

WolvDragon:

He doesn't have respect for anyone but foreign dictators like Putin, Kim, and Xi Jinping. He disrespects victims of natural disasters, women, US Soldiers, foreigners, Muslims, Catholics, gays, women again, Democrats, Republicans, etc.

Meanwhile people who LOVE Trump for all this shit ofcourse hypocritically bash people like Michele Wolf and Samantha Bee for saying the god damn truth.

Gotta love the irony in that. Trump attacks someone his right wing base applauds him. When someone on the left tries to cuss him or his family out, the right wing become snow flakes and demand that they be punished.

Partisanship reallly sucks!

WolvDragon:

Saelune:

WolvDragon:

He doesn't have respect for anyone but foreign dictators like Putin, Kim, and Xi Jinping. He disrespects victims of natural disasters, women, US Soldiers, foreigners, Muslims, Catholics, gays, women again, Democrats, Republicans, etc.

Gotta love the irony in that. Trump attacks someone his right wing base applauds him. When someone on the left tries to cuss him or his family out, the right wing become snow flakes and demand that they be punished.

It is not ironic, it is hypocrisy. The right is synonymous with it at this point. But they have been the party that believes being 'pro-life' = attacking abortion clinics, taking away universial healthcare and abusing the poor and needy.

Saelune:

WolvDragon:

Saelune:

It is not ironic, it is hypocrisy. The right is synonymous with it at this point. But they have been the party that believes being 'pro-life' = attacking abortion clinics, taking away universial healthcare and abusing the poor and needy.

Don't forget these pro-lifers wanna cut the social safety net and privatize it, so even when the baby is born, they don't wanna give aid to the mother who needs that money to support their newborn. Cuz cutting aid to the poor is such a christian thing to do. They never read the principles of Jesus Christ who advocated for the poor and downtrodden.

Ironically enough I base some of my leftist views on Jesus, the need to help the poor.

Catnip1024:
Well, not being funny, but the "Facts" box is kind of lacking actual numbers, for an article aiming to debunk something. It's heavily based on anecdote and individual stories.

You have to bear in mind that this was at a meeting discussing emergency preparedness. So it's not the worst way he can fuck up, if the alternative is convincing himself there is rationale for cutting Coast Guard funding.

That said, bit fucking churlish from a guy who's biggest concern with hurricanes is how it affects his golf.

I am guessing they figured they didn't have to say much considering the overwhelming amount of video footage of the rescues that was shown live for the entire world to see. No matter what channel you turned it on here they had videos of different civilians rescuing people and no one sitting in boats "watching". The sheer amount of live aerial footage of the area shows what he said to be false.

Millions of people watched all of this happening live, and they sure as hell were not the ones on the boats.

WolvDragon:

Saelune:

WolvDragon:

Don't forget these pro-lifers wanna cut the social safety net and privatize it, so even when the baby is born, they don't wanna give aid to the mother who needs that money to support their newborn. Cuz cutting aid to the poor is such a christian thing to do. They never read the principles of Jesus Christ who advocated for the poor and downtrodden.

Ironically enough I base some of my leftist views on Jesus, the need to help the poor.

Then add to it that Christians would not even be able to vote for Trump considering the Bible told them they could not even dine with the man, they surely could not have him represent them. But how many so called Christians these days have even bothered to read the bible?

Lil devils x:
I am guessing they figured they didn't have to say much considering the overwhelming amount of video footage of the rescues that was shown live for the entire world to see. No matter what channel you turned it on here they had videos of different civilians rescuing people and no one sitting in boats "watching". The sheer amount of live aerial footage of the area shows what he said to be false.

Millions of people watched all of this happening live, and they sure as hell were not the ones on the boats.

First, "worldwide" is a little egocentric. Beyond a couple of brief headlines, most of the world didn't really focus on it at all. (And news crews would not film some random dude sat in a boat out at sea, because that would not be dramatic enough anyhow)

Second, Trump said "people went out in their boats to watch". No numbers. No denial of the fact that any volunteers helped. Which makes debunking both more difficult and more pointless. Might as well just point out the guys a prick and move on. If you attempt to "debunk" vague statements which cannot be categorically debunked, you wind up alienating people.

Catnip1024:

Lil devils x:

First, "worldwide" is a little egocentric. Beyond a couple of brief headlines, most of the world didn't really focus on it at all. (And news crews would not film some random dude sat in a boat out at sea, because that would not be dramatic enough anyhow)

Second, Trump said "people went out in their boats to watch". No numbers. No denial of the fact that any volunteers helped. Which makes debunking both more difficult and more pointless. Might as well just point out the guys a prick and move on. If you attempt to "debunk" vague statements which cannot be categorically debunked, you wind up alienating people.

I specifically used the word " world wide" since my sister in London called and told me she was watching it live on television at the time( she used to live in Galveston). This was discussed on this very forum with numerous photos and discussion of the rescues, I remember discussing and linking articles at the time, including one about the guy who rescued both human and deer in his boat. There were no reports of people in boats watching reported from any sources. He just pulled it out of his arse like everything else he says.

If people were out on their boats watching why is it only he knew about it like the people who were celebrating 9/11 in the streets he made up as well? He has no credibility, without proof, why should anyone believe a word he says? He has not shown himself to tell the truth on anything else.

Lil devils x:

Catnip1024:

Lil devils x:

I specifically used the word " world wide" since my sister in London called and told me she was watching it live on television at the time( she used to live in Galveston). This was discussed on this very forum with numerous photos and discussion of the rescues, I remember discussing and linking articles at the time, including one about the guy who rescued both human and deer in his boat. There were no reports of people in boats watching reported from any sources. He just pulled it out of his arse like everything else he says.

If people were out on their boats watching why is it only he knew about it like the people who were celebrating 9/11 in the streets he made up as well? He has no credibility, without proof, why should anyone believe a word he says? He has not shown himself to tell the truth on anything else.

Since when has Trump has actually gave a shit about the truth? He never has.

Lil devils x:

Yeah, but unless you know someone there, US hurricanes are kind of down the list of things to care about. The general response tends to be "ooh, another one".

See, the problem here is you insist on turning everything into an us vs them. Trump is talking shit. But it's the sort of vague shit you cannot actually disprove, because there are no numbers or real facts in there that can be checked. My point was that "fact check" articles that rely on pure anecdote and individual stories are also talking shit. There's a trend towards this sort of article of late, and they tend to be poorly written and use statistics to drive a narrative rather than to take a proper look at things. Or to choose said statistics poorly, at least.

Which is actually weaker than just saying "the guy's being a prick". Because he was. There was no need to say anything of the sort. The objective argument was "the Coast Guard saved 16,000 people (or whatever), therefore let's make sure they are properly funded". Mentioning anything else was just fucking stupid.

Catnip1024:

Lil devils x:

Yeah, but unless you know someone there, US hurricanes are kind of down the list of things to care about. The general response tends to be "ooh, another one".

See, the problem here is you insist on turning everything into an us vs them. Trump is talking shit. But it's the sort of vague shit you cannot actually disprove, because there are no numbers or real facts in there that can be checked. My point was that "fact check" articles that rely on pure anecdote and individual stories are also talking shit. There's a trend towards this sort of article of late, and they tend to be poorly written and use statistics to drive a narrative rather than to take a proper look at things. Or to choose said statistics poorly, at least.

Which is actually weaker than just saying "the guy's being a prick". Because he was. There was no need to say anything of the sort. The objective argument was "the Coast Guard saved 16,000 people (or whatever), therefore let's make sure they are properly funded". Mentioning anything else was just fucking stupid.

Who is "Them"? It is not us vs them, it is Trump vs reality. They are not relying on anecdote, they are relying on the massive amounts of video footage of the event, the police reports, the coast guard reports, the fire department reports. They are not dealing with anecdote, this was an extremely well documented event. There are numbers. 11,000 coast guard rescues, then the documented rescues from local fire department, police, sheriff as well numerous civilian rescues. Trump attempted to attribute all of the other rescues to the coast guard as well with his 16,000 number.

The only "individual story" involved here was trump inventing his boat watchers nonsense. There was constant aerial footage of the entire area due to the many choppers in the area at the time. That is not an anecdote, that is video footage that was reviewed over and over again. They were using it to search for people and bodies, remember? They were looking for any and all details in hopes of saving lives.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here