Trump asks Defense Department to establish "Space Force" as sixth main branch

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/18/president-trump-directs-pentagon-defense-department-to-immediately-being-the-process-of-establishing-space-force-as-sixth-military-branch.html

Watch out guys! The Covenant just discovered Earth! Time to waste more tax payer money on more pointless weapons of war against ALIENS!! After all we don't want those dirty Klingons winning! Shit the Predators might get the jump on us if we don't hurry!

Well Trump thinks he's a God-Emperor and damned if the Republicans aren't bowing and scraping at the feet of his golden toilet...

Silentpony:
Well Trump thinks he's a God-Emperor and damned if the Republicans aren't bowing and scraping at the feet of his golden toilet...

I wonder if the news media and the republicans who are so concerned about deficit spending will scream from the roof tops and say "can we afford this?"

WolvDragon:

Silentpony:

I wonder if the news media and the republicans who are so concerned about deficit spending will scream from the roof tops and say "can we afford this?"

Pfft, doubt it. The GOP only care about spending when its an election year and Democrats want to give more money to teachers and police officers and raise the minimum wage. Republicans will happily cut public school funding, medicare and NASA to get a few million in spending, then they'll give the Space Force some $3 trillion.
Ten bucks says this is because Trump wants the first hotel on the moon to be a Trump Tower.

Silentpony:

WolvDragon:

Silentpony:

Pfft, doubt it. The GOP only care about spending when its an election year and Democrats want to give more money to teachers and police officers and raise the minimum wage. Republicans will happily cut public school funding, medicare and NASA to get a few million in spending, then they'll give the Space Force some $3 trillion.
Ten bucks says this is because Trump wants the first hotel on the moon to be a Trump Tower.

Gee a space hotel with Trump's name on it doesn't sound as appealing as you would think. Maybe they'll find another trillion dollars to make a space hotel in Trump's name lol.

I knew it, I fucking knew it, I knew that an excuse to increase funding of space infrastructure would be opposed by people if Trump was the one bringing it about.

This is frankly great news no matter how you cut it. The US military has always been a major player and spender in the space industry, and having them create a new branch dedicated to it is a good thing no matter how you try and cut it.

Zontar:
I knew it, I fucking knew it, I knew that an excuse to increase funding of space infrastructure would be opposed by people if Trump was the one bringing it about.

This is frankly great news no matter how you cut it. The US military has always been a major player and spender in the space industry, and having them create a new branch dedicated to it is a good thing no matter how you try and cut it.

What's so great about wasting more tax paying dollars if they're just gonna make more weapons? And why do we need a space force in the first place? If this was for research like more space stations or space ships capable of reaching Mars, I wouldn't be opposed to this. Like I am not opposed to Trump's infastructure plan.

But it's just more wasteful spending. The U.S. already spends more on it's military then Russia and China and the rest of our allies combined.

Don't act like every leftie is against his policies because we just don't like Trump. It's just that his policies tend to suck!

WolvDragon:

Zontar:

What's so great about wasting more tax paying dollars if they're just gonna make more weapons? And why do we need a space force in the first place? If this was for research like more space stations or space ships capable of reaching Mars, I wouldn't be opposed to this. Like I am not opposed to Trump's infastructure plan.

But it's just more wasteful spending. The U.S. already spends more on it's military then Russia and China and the rest of our allies combined.

Don't act like every leftie is against his policies because we just don't like Trump. It's just that his policies tend to suck!

Most US government owned and operated satellites are military ones, and most astronauts are active military personnel, so it makes sense to finally make a branch for it. We're going to get there eventually anyway, may as well set it up now for latter.

Now, man on Mars when?!

Zontar:

If Trump staffs this new branch like he staffs everything else, I expect he's going to ask that one flat earther who tried to prove the world is flat by flying up in his own rocket as Chief of Space Force

I mean, everyone else he has hired isn't skilled in the field they were hired for

Zontar:

I don't want the military to drive space exploration because it'll be locked behind "state secrets" for 20+ years. We already have NASA, give them the money.

Zontar:

You thinking that Trump is going to be doing anything competent in relationship to this really shows just how little you're paying attention. All he had to do was give more funding to NASA, but clearly that wouldn't give his ego a boost, and now I'm waiting for this to bomb. Plus there's also the fact that people are concerned that Trump is going to be violating treaties about having weapons in space, but since Trump is openly flipping off your country and you don't seem concerned, I doubt you care about that.

crimson5pheonix:

Zontar:

I don't want the military to drive space exploration because it'll be locked behind "state secrets" for 20+ years. We already have NASA, give them the money.

Half of what NASA does is projects where half the staff is military. Hell there've been plenty of rocket launches that launched something or other into space that where not publicly listed over the years that where most assured to be military projects, since the only reason we know about them is the matter of it being impossible to hide a rocket launch out of Cape Canaveral.

Besides, the people we've been sending haven't been overwhelmingly active military personnel without reason, and this just cuts out the middle man while also making shifting funds easier. After all the Pentagon itself wanted a lot of things cut, well here's where the money can go.

Now where's that Death Star?

Zontar:

crimson5pheonix:

Zontar:

Half of what NASA does is projects where half the staff is military. Hell there've been plenty of rocket launches that launched something or other into space that where not publicly listed over the years that where most assured to be military projects, since the only reason we know about them is the matter of it being impossible to hide a rocket launch out of Cape Canaveral.

Besides, the people we've been sending haven't been overwhelmingly active military personnel without reason, and this just cuts out the middle man while also making shifting funds easier. After all the Pentagon itself wanted a lot of things cut, well here's where the money can go.

Now where's that Death Star?

Yeah, because every president since Kennedy has cared less and less about NASA and we give more money to the air force for space than we give the dedicated space program. This could be fixed very easily and we could be sending civilians up for civilian concerns which would be far better.

In an ideal world, the military budget would be gutted and redistributed to other government agencies. Primarily military R&D and procurement. But we live in a world where the US can only be measured by it's ability to fight the entire world simultaneously because that's ever going to happen.

erttheking:
All he had to do was give more funding to NASA

Due to regulations forced upon NASA by the Congress, NASA's hiring policies for some time have created an environment that's... well they aren't the industry leaders for a reason. There's been a lot of brain drain to the private sector under Clinton, Bush and Obama, and a lot of people who otherwise would have entered who are competent either didn't do so or where rejected because of the aforementioned regulations forced on NASA by the Congress. This helps bypass it since the military is much harder to pull political bullshit stunts in regard to hiring and treatment of personnel when compared to NASA. It's not perfect, but it's a step up, and given the fact it'll probably be built out of the US Space Command, all this'll be is NASA but with better funding and a lot of the bullshit politics removed.

I said it already, but I'll say it again more clearly for good measure. Trump has just done more for American space exploration then anyone since Reagan when he announced the Star Wars program (which was incredible for technological development and study of the laws of physics). This is one of those things where Trump would have to have been too incompetent to have accomplished his own career to screw up.

crimson5pheonix:

Yeah, because every president since Kennedy has cared less and less about NASA and we give more money to the air force for space than we give the dedicated space program. This could be fixed very easily and we could be sending civilians up for civilian concerns which would be far better.

Until we get the risks involved down to that of air travel, that isn't realistic in the slightest. Exploration has always been the military's domain, civilians have always at best tagged along, there are good reasons for that and they are why it has been that way for ten thousand years and will remain that way for ten thousand more.

In an ideal world, the military budget would be gutted and redistributed to other government agencies. Primarily military R&D and procurement. But we live in a world where the US can only be measured by it's ability to fight the entire world simultaneously because that's ever going to happen.

The US spends a lot because it protects its interests around the world. Though you should be happy about Trump on this one, he's trying to scale back America's "world police" attitude now that the cold war is over, and pressuring the rest of the democratic world to pull our weight for once.

Who says conservatives have lost hope in the future?

Zontar:

erttheking:
All he had to do was give more funding to NASA

Due to regulations forced upon NASA by the Congress-

The GOP controls Congress and none of them really dare go against Trump, so everything that comes after that falls painfully flat. They could fix all of these problems you're being vague about (and don't actually list because you always do that), but apparently, they don't want to.

I said it already, but I'll say it again more clearly for good measure. Trump has just done more for American space exploration then anyone since Reagan when he announced the Star Wars program

Ok. What exactly has he done? List the accomplishments. Because I've seen plenty of people talk about all the things that he's done, you included, but they can never seem to actually list them. You included.

Also I noticed you ducked my point about people being concerned about him putting weapons in space, which is against international treaties. Telling. But hey, if we're cutting up each other's posts, I might as well follow the leader and only go after the points you make that I find easier to counter.

Zontar:

crimson5pheonix:

Until we get the risks involved down to that of air travel, that isn't realistic in the slightest. Exploration has always been the military's domain, civilians have always at best tagged along, there are good reasons for that and they are why it has been that way for ten thousand years and will remain that way for ten thousand more.

Columbus was a government backed civilian explorer. You are incorrect.

The US spends a lot because it protects its interests around the world. Though you should be happy about Trump on this one, he's trying to scale back America's "world police" attitude now that the cold war is over, and pressuring the rest of the democratic world to pull our weight for once.

While increasing the budget. No thanks, nothing doing until we start actually pulling money away from the military. Half would be a good start.

Not if Tim Currey has anything to say about this!

Saelune:

Hopefully Tim Curry gets his way lol. Also TIM CURRY!!

erttheking:
The GOP controls Congress and none of them really dare go against Trump, so everything that comes after that falls painfully flat.

That statement is objectively wrong, the GOP is as much an enemy of Trump as the Democrats are at this point.

Ok. What exactly has he done? List the accomplishments.

Well first and foremost made it clear that he's going to be funding it more then previous administrations have.

Also I noticed you ducked my point about people being concerned about him putting weapons in space, which is against international treaties.

Oh no, the US is now doing what 90% of the world has been doing for years, whatever shall we do?

If you have a problem with the US government violating international treaties, maybe previous administrations should have enforced those same treaties when everyone already started doing that. The US, UK and Greece, for example, are NATO's only members not violating that agreement at the moment. And then there's the refugee convention, which in common law countries is now effectively toilet paper and purely advice instead of law. What makes the treaty banning weapons in space (that we all knew was temporary anyway, and is probably already being violated by the US, China and Russia) any different?

crimson5pheonix:

Columbus was also pretty much the only one of that era that was. Look up the names of those who explored in expeditions during the Age of Exploration, you'll notice it's virtually all naval personnel in command.

Half would be a good start.

And a good end too, there's really no rational way to justify spending less then 2% of GDP on defence unless you're another nation's vassal state like Canada is.

Zontar:

That statement is objectively wrong, the GOP is as much an enemy of Trump as the Democrats are at this point.

Oh yes, that's why they vote on nearly everything he wants voted on, with it being a massive chore to get one or two senators to vote against party lines.

Your information on American politics is...limited.

Zontar:

Well first and foremost made it clear that he's going to be funding it more then previous administrations have.

Trump also promised a wall, prosecuting Hillary Clinton, and getting rid of NK's nuclear program. He's the man of premature ejaculations, and you celebrating this when he hasn't done anything yet and when he's a man of big promises that he constantly fails to follow through on, is very premature.

Zontar:

Oh no, the US is now doing what 90% of the world has been doing for years, whatever shall we do?

If you have a problem with the US government violating international treaties, maybe previous administrations should have enforced those same treaties when everyone already started doing that. The US, UK and Greece, for example, are NATO's only members not violating that agreement at the moment. And then there's the refugee convention, which in common law countries is now effectively toilet paper and purely advice instead of law. What makes the treaty banning weapons in space (that we all knew was temporary anyway, and is probably already being violated by the US, China and Russia) any different?

So you're basically saying you don't care and are trying to frame everything as a race to the bottom. Ok. Do you have an actual argument or are just going to keep downplaying all the crappy things Trump does. I notice that about you. When I bring up something crappy Trump does, you can't actually defend it on its own, you have to lower standards by bringing in outside examples. Unsourced outside examples. And I'm sorry man, you really should know me by now. I don't trust unsourced claims from you. At all.

Zontar:

crimson5pheonix:

Columbus was also pretty much the only one of that era that was. Look up the names of those who explored in expeditions during the Age of Exploration, you'll notice it's virtually all naval personnel in command.

Yup, the exploration was done by civilians, and the pillaging was done by military. Who could have seen that coming?

Half would be a good start.

And a good end too, there's really no rational way to justify spending less then 2% of GDP on defence unless you're another nation's vassal state like Canada is.

Luckily we spend ~50% of our discretionary spending on the military, so cutting it down to 25% would mean we're still outspending every other program. I wouldn't mind taking it further.

Zontar:

Only insofar as the Democrats aren't an enemy of Trump at this point. But to the extent that the Democrats are enemies of Trump, the GOP isn't.

Zontar:

Well, it's a good idea. But Trump has put forward quite a few good ideas that have whiffed on the follow-through. See his promises on healthcare, for example. He made a lot of very vague, sweeping statements that - if taken in good faith - were quite promising, but his eventual product was unrecognisable.

In this case, there's a lot of questions that need to be answered before we can figure out whether we ought to be congratulating Trump for this.

1. What will this Space Force do? Are we talking about putting soldiers in space, or just using terrestrial methods to protect orbiting satellites?
2. Wouldn't it be simpler to create a "Space Corps" within the Air Force, much like the Marine Corps was created within the Navy?
3. How does this interact with the Outer Space Treaty, which regulates the placement of weapons in outer space and which prohibits any use of of the Moon for military purposes?
4. Where's the money coming from?
5. Does the President actually have the authority to form an entirely new branch of the military, independent of Congress?
6. How will this impact the Kessler syndrome? Will the newly-formed Space Force be sufficiently dedicated to cleaning up its orbital waste, or will it worsen the growing problem?
7. Who's going to build the spaceships? The private sector? Is this just leading up to another F-35 debacle, where military aerospace contractors milk the government for hundreds of billions of dollars over decades?
8. Will this lead to more support for NASA, or will it overtake and subsume it? What are the potential consequences of handing over command of future space exploration missions to soldiers instead of scientists?

So while I think more government support for space exploration is a great and necessary idea, I don't really trust Trump to be the guy to deliver it. I certainly don't trust the Republican Party to be the ones funding it - not when they'd rather take the hundreds of billions of dollars needed and funnel that into more tax breaks for rich blokes.

You ask me, this is chaff. Trump wants something to distract the news cycle from the administration's family separation policy, which is threatening to kill the favourable upwards momentum he got from the North Korea summit.

Saelune:

You have no idea how hard I'm laughing right now.

erttheking:
Oh yes, that's why they vote on nearly everything he wants voted on, with it being a massive chore to get one or two senators to vote against party lines.

Your information on American politics is...limited.

So... why have they been so open about their opposing him? Is this an illegal immigration situation where they pretend to be against it until the actual vote comes up? Because if so, where's the fucking wall given he's been fighting for it.

Trump also promised a wall, prosecuting Hillary Clinton, and getting rid of NK's nuclear program. He's the man of premature ejaculations, and you celebrating this when he hasn't done anything yet and when he's a man of big promises that he constantly fails to follow through on, is very premature.

He's closer t denuclearisation then you care to admit, and he's at least trying to get shit done. As someone who has Justin Trudeau as his leader, I'm jealous since that's more then we can say.

So you're basically saying you don't care and are trying to frame everything as a race to the bottom. Ok. Do you have an actual argument or are just going to keep downplaying all the crappy things Trump does.

Everyone has known that the treaties demilitarising space was a temporary thing that we'd get rid of eventually. I mean hell Star Wars was an overt plan to do just that, and that was less then a decade and a half after the treaty was signed. We're more then twice as far from that then the time between the treaty being signed and the US declaring its intent to abandon it.

International treaties are only as much law as those who have signed them make them be. The US, Canada and nations of Europe have effectively ripped up a lot of international treaties over the past 20 years, my point is what's the big deal now that another one (that probably is already being violated) is having it be done? What makes it special when Trump does it? Especially since all he's doing is reorganising elements of the military that already exist anyway.

crimson5pheonix:
Yup, the exploration was done by civilians, and the pillaging was done by military. Who could have seen that coming?

The exploration was done by civilians surrounded by armed soldiers who are the only reason they made it anywhere alive. In the cases it was civilians leading the thing, which, in most, it was not.

Luckily we spend ~50% of our discretionary spending on the military, so cutting it down to 25% would mean we're still outspending every other program. I wouldn't mind taking it further.

Given that they're unsustainable, why not cut Social Security? It's only going to Boomers anyway, and they screwed this all up so it's not like they deserve it. They'll cry "I paid into it", forgetting that we aren't going to get any of what we paid into it. Well, you people, Quebec's social security is just fine since we actually made decent investments with it.

anyway I'm off to bed now.

Zontar:
Snip

I've seen some GOP senators complain about the stuff he does, but it rarely if ever is enough to motivate them to cross party lines. A pretty limp wristed defiance. And Trump basically had the fucking wall in his hands. When the budget was decided (Which requires more than a simple majority so the GOP couldn't ignore the Democrats) the Democrats made a deal with Trump. They would fund the wall if the Dreamers could stay, and Trump was on board with it. Until he decided he wasn't and he wanted more. So the deal fell apart. That's why the wall didn't happen. Democrats are needed to approve funding for it, and Trump's a greedy asshole who doesn't understand the concept of quitting while he's ahead. I repeat myself. Your understanding of American politics is limited.

Pfffffft, sure man, whatever. He got NK to pinky swear to work towards decularization. A promise that they made back in 1992 as well, for all the good it did. That's how close Trump is. An empty promise that NK made before and then backed out on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Declaration_of_the_Denuclearization_of_the_Korean_Peninsula

And you proceed to not actually respond to anything I say and just refute your previous point. So let me repeat myself. Do you have any defense that isn't turning this into a race to the bottom and do you have any defense for Trump that doesn't involve lowering standards all around?

Also your probably doesn't matter for shit.

Zontar:

The Air Force already has a division devoted to space, we don't need a new separate branch - yet - whose job is already covered. This is wasteful and stupid, and the money that's going to this could damn well be better spent elsewhere, like the fucking infrastructure he promised he'd improve.

I'm going to keep an eye out in the coming days to see where are all the right-wingers going "BUT HOW ARE WE GOING TO PAY FOR ALL THIS?!?!" like they were for free education and universal healthcare.

But what are they going to do, exactly? Like, our space-faring ability isn't too hot right now, what is there for a "space force" to do? Are they going to be inventing space things? You have NASA for that, and pioneering is not really what a military does. Like, we didn't create a navy just so we could figure out how boats work, we had boats first

WolvDragon:

The Chinese have already live-tested anti-satellite weaponry. It's a legitimate expectation that the Russians have prepared similar. It makes sense to prepare for wars involving space, even if weaponising space is currently illegal.

Much hype over an inevitable step forward.

Dr. Thrax:
The Air Force already has a division devoted to space, we don't need a new separate branch - yet - whose job is already covered.

Except exactly the same arguments could have been made to prevent the formation of dedicated air forces. Specialisation is only a benefit. As is investing in space.

War. War! WAR!

Fucking what. Serious boners for all armchair generals no doubt.

god dammit, who told Trump Starship troopers was a documentery by fox? come on fes up who did it?

so first year in power and he's looking to break international treatys already?
at the rate he's going i can't wait for him to establish a military base on Antarctica for the purpose of weaponizing penguins next year.

although to be fair to Trump this is the only way to get republicans to fund space programs. well until they find a planet filled with oil.

Zontar:

Rubbish. There have always been civilian and military explorers. And as far as Space goes, many other space agencies like ESA are thoroughly civillian, even explicitely limiting them to exclusively peaceful purposes in their founing treateas. That the NASA is mostly military is more an exception than a rule and can be traced to early fantasies about orbital bombardement during Cold War times.

I mean, theoretically even NASA is supposed to be civilian and (D)ARPA schould handle the military application. But that was never actually handled this way. Which is one reason of regular problems in cooperations between NASA and agencies of other countries, arising from the inherent legal problems of sharing military secrets across borders or helping foreign countries militaries.

"Scale Back after the cold war is over" is exactly what the rest of NATO did and what the US is now complaining about without an end in sight.

And no, starting a new military space branch sounds not at all like scaling back. And as he has so far always been willing to expand military budget, i really don't think that is Trumps intent at all.

Zontar:

Without knowing what they're spending it on, why should we get excited?

Are we talking about sticking missiles on satellites here, weapons platforms with their ambitions aimed at Earth and its immediate orbit, or are we talking about wider space infrastructure? That seems to me that the former is what military applications are about. Bearing in mind the inherent hostility of space to human life, it is unlikely in the extreme military applications are about anything that relates to human habitation, because humans are a liability.

The fact is, if we want to get excited about the future of space and space colonisation, we actually need to be excited about the likes of Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos, not Donald Trump. They're the ones who are really looking at going places and doing things.

Oh, neat. The party of fiscal responsibility and smaller government is creating yet another redundant governmental agency, but this time it's military themed so they can fund it to their heart's content because "support the troops".

Catnip1024:

WolvDragon:

The Chinese have already live-tested anti-satellite weaponry. It's a legitimate expectation that the Russians have prepared similar. It makes sense to prepare for wars involving space, even if weaponising space is currently illegal.

And we shot down a low-orbit satellite over 30 years ago, so...

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here