Trump asks Defense Department to establish "Space Force" as sixth main branch

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Thaluikhain:

Chimpzy:
Shame there's no lady and/or LGBT primarchs (unless Fulgrim counts)

Sanguinius? And in older fluff, maybe Dorn or Johnson. Fulgrim is only LGBT as part of his evilness, so, yeah...

Actually, expand that to LGBTA and it works, they are usually depicted as asexual.

Yeah, but I already put down the fabulous fucking hawk-boy as an X-Man. Then again, Marvel mutants are often used as a minority metaphor, so whatever, it works.

Chimpzy:
Shame there's no lady and/or LGBT primarchs (unless Fulgrim counts), otherwise the God-Emperor of Mankind would be woke AF.

Lion El'Johnson was balls-to-the-wall gay, so there's your G. (It's the real secret of the Dark Angels; their Primarch was more-than-bros with his best bro Luther.)

And Fulgrim is like...the David Bowie of Warhammer. He doesn't fit into your labels, man.

(seriously, there's a Horus Heresy short story where Fulgrim's lieutenants use a pear of anguish on him and he likes it.)

Chimpzy:

bastardofmelbourne:
Then the God-Emperor of Mankind is actually canonically less racist than Trump, because he had a token black son.

Also, an Asian dude. And a handicapped dude with giantism. And an X-Man.

Shame there's no lady and/or LGBT primarchs (unless Fulgrim counts), otherwise the God-Emperor of Mankind would be woke AF.

To be fair in one of the short stories someone asks Malcador whats the one piece of advice you gave the Emperor he wished the Big E took. Malcador said to "make them sisters"
So the technology and knowledge for female Primarchs did exist at some point.

Silentpony:

Chimpzy:

bastardofmelbourne:
Then the God-Emperor of Mankind is actually canonically less racist than Trump, because he had a token black son.

Also, an Asian dude. And a handicapped dude with giantism. And an X-Man.

To be fair in one of the short stories someone asks Malcador whats the one piece of advice you gave the Emperor he wished the Big E took. Malcador said to "make them sisters"
So the technology and knowledge for female Primarchs did exist at some point.

Well it means the idea was floated (and shot down by the Emperor), it doesn't necessarily mean the technology existed. However, with a "fun" interpretation of what qualifies as a space marine, Honsou made female space marines in the warp :D

He called it the Daemonculaba.

crimson5pheonix:
Well it means the idea was floated (and shot down by the Emperor), it doesn't necessarily mean the technology existed. However, with a "fun" interpretation of what qualifies as a space marine, Honsou made female space marines in the warp :D

He called it the Daemonculaba.

A "fun" interpretation in that they weren't in any way Space Marines? Like, at all?

And, also, they were in the Eye of Terror, which is only partly in the warp.

crimson5pheonix:
SNIP

What's cool is in the newest Space Wolf novel a Fenrisian woman asks Arjac Rockfist why they only recruit women. He says basically its the way Space Marines work and its always been that way. And she responds that maybe its time for that to change, and Arjac thinks that with all the new tech Guilliman has brought with Primaris Marines, why couldn't they look into female Marines. He tells her 'Perhaps'

So GW is at least leaving the window slightly ajar for the potential of a whisper of a shadow of maybe floating the idea of Female Marines, probably space wolf only.

Silentpony:
So GW is at least leaving the window slightly ajar for the potential of a whisper of a shadow of maybe floating the idea of Female Marines, probably space wolf only.

You know, two of the Primarchs remain unknown. There you go, an entire Legion or two of lady marines, just popping back out of the Warp after 10 millennia for reasons. People will love it.

Say what you will, but this is a neat logo should it be come the official one.

bastardofmelbourne:

Lion El'Johnson was balls-to-the-wall gay, so there's your G. (It's the real secret of the Dark Angels; their Primarch was more-than-bros with his best bro Luther.)

Never mind that there's no way the sort of close-knit military brotherhood that the Space Marines are isn't going to have bonding of a more, shall we say, intimate nature.

kiri3tsubasa:

That's like some curves away from being the Federation symbol from trek

kiri3tsubasa:

Space Force, 2051? Well at least we have 33 years to figure out first this idea is dumb.

Also, did they just put a death star in that logo? Seriously, what is that reddish orb to the right of Earth? Is that supposed to be Mars but like way off in the distance (yet inexplicably close)?

Chimpzy:
You know, two of the Primarchs remain unknown. There you go, an entire Legion or two of lady marines, just popping back out of the Warp after 10 millennia for reasons. People will love it.

If Sanguinius' concern over the Emperor finding out about the flaw is any hint, one of the missing Primarchs was...genetically impure, which is possibly why they and their chapter were subject to damnatio memoriae.

Any number of ways that could be interpreted. I don't remember all the details, but at least one of the lost legions may have been banished beyond the known universe and the other could have been disbanded. I think it has noticed that about the time one of the legions disappeared, the Ultramarines got a huge boost in numbers.....

Addendum_Forthcoming:
Also, did they just put a death star in that logo? Seriously, what is that reddish orb to the right of Earth? Is that supposed to be Mars but like way off in the distance (yet inexplicably close)?

Well, that's the important question - is it small, or far away?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMiKyfd6hA0

Chimpzy:

As I understand it, the non-narrative reason was to give players the opportunity to credibly make their own Space Marine chapters and pretend they could be canonical. Later on, they changed the narrative and broke the Space Marines from 20 army-sized chapters into zillions of tiny battalion-sized chapters to make it easier.

Either way, no reason not to make female chapters.

Agema:

Well, that's the important question - is it small, or far away?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMiKyfd6hA0

Doesn't exactly answer my question. Points for the insult, but you and I both know it wasn't what I was driving at.

Moreover it's kind of a worrying symbol. I sort of get Luna given that might be an innocent error of how it looks to another. It's our moon and by dint symbolically and spiritually linked to everybody of Earth as having a weight andpresence all of its own, but intentionally representing Mars despite both out of scale, yet not symbolically presented in presence, is pretty blatantly imperialistic don't you think?

More over given both the fact that it's out of scale and yet there kind of makes it look like the Death Star.

I can't imagine a graphic designer looking at it after they're done and simply thinking to themselves; "Perfectly innocent symbolism, that."

I was personally hoping the resources and access to space would be an inheritance to all humanity regardless of nation. Kind of like a birthright of one day a promise of being without want.

Agema:

Chimpzy:

As I understand it, the non-narrative reason was to give players the opportunity to credibly make their own Space Marine chapters and pretend they could be canonical. Later on, they changed the narrative and broke the Space Marines from 20 army-sized chapters into zillions of tiny battalion-sized chapters to make it easier.

There are other theories ranging from it being a reference to the lost roman legions to the list of marine legions originally had all 20, but something got spilled on it at a pub and two became illegible.

In any case, the original Rogue Trader box art featured the Crimson Fists being overrun by orks, and they were a successor chapter.

Agema:

But then you'd need models with power armour with giant boobs, big hair and loincloths for no reason. And stupid dancing poses.

Thaluikhain:

But then you'd need models with power armour with giant boobs, big hair and loincloths for no reason. And stupid dancing poses.

What, like House Escher? Actually, to be fair, I thought Escher and Orlock were the best gangs in 'Munda.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

Thaluikhain:

What, like House Escher? Actually, to be fair, I thought Escher and Orlocks were the best gangs in 'Munda.

Or any other female model they make, like the death cultists or witch elves.

I do like the Escher models, but GW's female models need a bit of greenstuffing to not be embarassing, and the models are awkward. Two feet with flat shoes firmly on the ground, holding your weapon close to your body in both hands and your model will glue together work and not got broken in transit.

Also, high heels...grrrrr...

Thaluikhain:

Or any other female model they make, like the death cultists or witch elves.

I do like the Escher models, but GW's female models need a bit of greenstuffing to not be embarassing, and the models are awkward. Two feet with flat shoes firmly on the ground, holding your weapon close to your body in both hands and your model will glue together work and not got broken in transit.

Also, high heels...grrrrr...

Pretty much. I think the best we might hope for is something closely resembling Sisters. Which, you know, weren't great and have been treated abysmally lore-wise. I mean, all the new Escher stuff is somehow more embarassing than the stuff I bought as a kid.

A lot of older Escher models you could refit into the penal legion Imperial Guard army I had fairly easy. Which was fun. Because they maintain that ganger look that you could see them being in a penal legion, while some of them actually looked like they were wearing enough protection or carrying suitable arms into a battlefield.

I always prefered the look of Necromunda heavies as opposed to the old Imperial Guard weapons teams. So having a mix of Escher and Orlock models mixed in with regular Imperial guard stuff was fun and certainly gave it that conscript army feel.

Few vehicles beyond sentinels, kitted out with searchlights. As I figured they'd be the most common Imperial Guard vehicle on a prison planet and searchlights makes sense for locating convicts on patrol.

Wasn't a huge army point wise, but enough to have fun with.

Agema:

Except old fluff (don't know about the newer versions) stating that women were not physically tough enough to survive the process of becoming a marine and something about Y chromosomes being necessary for the Gene Seed to take.

I couldn't care less, but I would also bet serious money on your local 40k players throwing a proper temper tantrum should you enter a GW store with a female space marine chapter.

Addendum_Forthcoming:
Pretty much. I think the best we might hope for is something closely resembling Sisters. Which, you know, weren't great and have been treated abysmally lore-wise. I mean, all the new Escher stuff is somehow more embarassing than the stuff I bought as a kid.

A lot of older Escher models you could refit into the penal legion Imperial Guard army I had fairly easy. Which was fun. Because they maintain that ganger look that you could see them being in a penal legion, while some of them actually looked like they were wearing enough protection or carrying suitable arms into a battlefield.

I always prefered the look of Necromunda heavies as opposed to the old Imperial Guard weapons teams. So having a mix of Escher and Orlock models mixed in with regular Imperial guard stuff was fun and certainly gave it that conscript army feel.

Few vehicles beyond sentinels, kitted out with searchlights. As I figured they'd be the most common Imperial Guard vehicle on a prison planet and searchlights makes sense for locating convicts on patrol.

Wasn't a huge army point wise, but enough to have fun with.

Second that, got an IG army made of old Ncromunda stuff (shouldn't got more, but was unemployed when they got rid of the old minis), and an army of sisters.

The new necromunda gangs don't even have heavy stubbers as standard. And they get fancy stuff better than SM gear as standard.

Thaluikhain:

Second that, got an IG army made of old Ncromunda stuff (shouldn't got more, but was unemployed when they got rid of the old minis), and an army of sisters.

The new necromunda gangs don't even have heavy stubbers as standard. And they get fancy stuff better than SM gear as standard.

Argh ... see, I don't know about you but some of the shotgun and hvy stubber looks were wicked with Necromunda stuff. They best personifieda colourful, yet gritty universe of tomorrow. Like I had a mobile squad of Adeptus Arbites mostly with shotguns, w/ commissar and a chimera (basically a riot team repurposed into a mobile 'political officer' squad to drive the convicts onwards) that I bought from a friend when younger. Basically my moderately powerful shocktroop to shore up against charges (love the grenade launcher look) ...

The Escher and Orlock heavies with stubbers looked amazing, and I fineagled them to be heavy bolters 40k rulewise ... rule of cool.

20 skirmishes into our games, my gang still didn't prioritize a better heavy option simply because the heavy stubber looks amazing and fits the mood of 'Munda so much better.

Seeing heavies run around with heavy plasmas in some of the shots takes me out of it.

Gethsemani:
I couldn't care less, but I would also bet serious money on your local 40k players throwing a proper temper tantrum should you enter a GW store with a female space marine chapter.

Hell, GW announced a book line aimed at the 8-12 demographic, and the grognards still threw a shitfit even though it was not for them.

Thaluikhain:

The Gang War 3 book updates the Eschers, Goliaths and Orlocks to have heavy stubbers in their starting weapon options. Only problem is, unless you want to try and convert the Orlock heavy stubber to fit on the Goliath and Escher models, you have to go to Forgeworld and buy one of their upgrade kits.

Major Tom:

Gethsemani:

Hell, GW announced a book line aimed at the 8-12 demographic, and the grognards still threw a shitfit even though it was not for them.

Well, aiming at the 8-12 crowd is...exactly what they've been doing for years. Nevermind.

Major Tom:
The Gang War 3 book updates the Eschers, Goliaths and Orlocks to have heavy stubbers in their starting weapon options. Only problem is, unless you want to try and convert the Orlock heavy stubber to fit on the Goliath and Escher models, you have to go to Forgeworld and buy one of their upgrade kits.

Sigh. Though, everything is plastic, so easy to convert nowdays.

Major Tom:

Starting weapon options? Are they handling the gang recquisition-as-credits differently now? I mean the biggest tactical reason to go with the heavy stubber because it was often all you could afford if you wanted to substitute effectiveness of your heavy with additional juves or better equipment for others.

Addendum_Forthcoming:
Starting weapon options? Are they handling the gang recquisition-as-credits differently now? I mean the biggest tactical reason to go with the heavy stubber because it was often all you could afford if you wanted to substitute effectiveness of your heavy with additional juves or better equipment for others.

No, you still start a gang as you used to. Only Goliaths and Eschers didn't have access to it as a choice as a new gang, and it wasn't in the trading post until Gang War 3 updated the lists. Gang War 3 added a lot of new weapons to the trading post as well.

kiri3tsubasa:

S'up with the giant mouse cursor in the middle?

bluegate:

kiri3tsubasa:

S'up with the giant mouse cursor in the middle?

that's the protagonist from the original asteroids game, I thought. For you see it's all about heroic self-defense of course. From evil space rocks

Gethsemani:

Agema:

Except old fluff (don't know about the newer versions) stating that women were not physically tough enough to survive the process of becoming a marine and something about Y chromosomes being necessary for the Gene Seed to take.

if memory serves the current reason why you cant have female space marines had something to do with the gene seed being incompatible with female DNA because its based on male DNA.
ultimately it doesn't really matter what you turn into a space marine though since they are so heavily modified the end result would still look like a giant man made out of muscles. a "female" space marine might have a slightly more feminine looking face and possibly slightly wider hips then a "male" space marine but other then that they would look the same.

lionsprey:
ultimately it doesn't really matter what you turn into a space marine though since they are so heavily modified the end result would still look like a giant man made out of muscles. a "female" space marine might have a slightly more feminine looking face and possibly slightly wider hips then a "male" space marine but other then that they would look the same.

No reason even for those differences. And, hell, they could have new exciting random ones. If they decided to have female space marines, saying they all had glowing green eyes and eyebrow horns and spat alkali instead of acid (for no good reason) wouldn't really seem out of place at all.

Buuuuut Geedubs would give them giant boobs. Cause, GW.

Addendum_Forthcoming:
Doesn't exactly answer my question. Points for the insult, but you and I both know it wasn't what I was driving at.

When you wrote "insult", what you would be much more accurate to have written would be "excuse to provide one of the funniest clips from the world's funniest ever sitcoms purely for everyone's entertainment".

bastardofmelbourne:

Wait, do they have to be his children genetically or metaphorically? I thought the Primarchs were metaphorically the children of the Emperor. They were all made in test tubes. Wait, but with his genetic material...

I know this was a way back, but it suddenly occurred to me.

Trump is of course obsessed with the awesomeness of his genes, and he'd absolutely love the idea of a corps of Space Marines cloned from his DNA.

I can imagine him doing it.... and that twenty years later when they reached the age to be called up, they'd all unfortunately have to be excused service due to bone spurs in their feet.

What will this new branch actually do?

Xsjadoblayde:
that's the protagonist from the original asteroids game, I thought. For you see it's all about heroic self-defense of course. From evil space rocks

In defence of the protagonist of asteroids, those rocks were totally sent by some backwards aliens on a rocky desert planet millions of lightyears from Earth.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here