The US was a country founded on illegal immigration and open rebellion.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Never forget that. To espouse the 'legality' of immigration is to deny what this country was founded on. It is hypocritical. The law is there to serve the people and when the law does not serve the people, reject it, as the founding fathers did.

The founding fathers were rebels, were terrorists. They used violence and broke the law, and made this country that way. They were dangerous extremists.

If you have a problem with violence, you have a problem with what this country was founded on. If you have a problem with illegal immigrants, you have a problem with what this country was founded on. If you have a problem with breaking the law, then you have a problem with what this country was founded on.

There is nothing more un-American than citing the law to deny immigrants and violence.

There is nothing more un-American than Trump.

Know your history.

Saelune:

Vendor-Lazarus:
Sorry for the -snip-, bit it's the op, and right above this post

This seems like a good place for a question
A clean, new, empty thread.

Could I ask you how you would like to see the immigration policy work?
You could do it however you see fit. In wording, in intent. However.
Also, what do you foresee as to be the consequences of that policy? Your policy.

Saelune, every post of yours I've read makes me increasingly worried about you. You are beginning to sound like a political manifesto.

CM156:
Saelune, every post of yours I've read makes me increasingly worried about you. You are beginning to sound like a political manifesto.

Shes got good cause to be worried. Things are probably about to get worse for women, lgbt, and minorities.

Vendor-Lazarus:

Saelune:

Vendor-Lazarus:
Sorry for the -snip-, bit it's the op, and right above this post

Also, what do you foresee as to be the consequences of that policy? Your policy.

For one, treat them as people, people who want a better life, not as monsters, cause they are not monsters. Work to actually figure out which ones are the actual monsters and keep them out, not the family who want to see their kids not grow up in a place run by drug cartels.

You cant solve immigration by just dealing with the immigrants. The solution involved working with Mexico to help improve the country so that it is a place most Mexicans don't think the risk of illegal immigration is worth the risk.

As for the issues with jobs, again, the solution is not dealing with the immigrants who are taking jobs no one else wants, but dealing with corporations abusing the Capitalist country USA is by NOT giving them free reign to do whatever they fucking want.

CM156:

Its better than sounding like a Nazi sympathizer any day.

The American war of independence was due to the denial of the British Crown to allow the settlers to continue encroaching on Native American lands.

The illegal immigration was the invasion and conquest of said lands.

Something being "American" is not a feather in its cap. It is merely another example of one people benefiting from the suffering or effort of others.

Trump is the most American thing America has ever produced.

Abomination:
The American war of independence was due to the denial of the British Crown to allow the settlers to continue encroaching on Native American lands.

Something being "American" is not a feather in its cap. It is merely another example of one people benefiting from the suffering or effort of others.

If people have a problem with what America was founded on, that can be fair, but usually it is done so hypocritically.

Republicans like to think they are 'True American Patriots'. They are not, not in any sense of the term.

Saelune:

Abomination:

If people have a problem with what America was founded on, that can be fair, but usually it is done so hypocritically.

Republicans like to think they are 'True American Patriots'. They are not, not in any sense of the term.

Americans seem to think being American is an ideal to strive for. Until that mental parasite can be shed the American people will continue to be slaves to propaganda.

It is a mental roadblock that prevents great swaths of the population from thinking critically. While Republican voters cling harder to the idea of American "Virtues" there is a significant number in the blue camp that does the same.

That said there is no convincing anyone to change this. Americans will use the excuse of something being the American ideal to not question their greed or self-gratification based choices. And THAT is real "Americanism".

Abomination:

Saelune:

Abomination:

Americans seem to think being American is an ideal to strive for. Until that mental parasite can be shed the American people will continue to be slaves to propaganda.

It is a mental roadblock that prevents great swaths of the population from thinking critically. While Republican voters cling harder to the idea of American "Virtues" there is a significant number in the blue camp that does the same.

That said there is no convincing anyone to change this. Americans will use the excuse of something being the American ideal to not question their greed or self-gratification based choices. And THAT is real "Americanism".

I believe in what America was supposed to be. I still do, but the US is not that, hell it was doomed from the start by using the word 'men' instead of people.

A place not defined by one race, or one religion, where everyone can come together to make a country of the people, I believe in that. A country where the government serves the people. Shame it is just a fantasy.

The semantics of age-old 1700s language did not doom the United States. It was a culture founded on exploitation and greed. Manifest Destiny. The "all being equal" was just about the opportunity for white Christians to strive to be the equivalent of "the gentry".

How does one become "the gentry"? By owning land. How does one own land? By taking it from someone else. The mind of a 1700s individual cared not for the plight of other races or genders or even religion. Their world view was about their immediate neighbors.

Do not forget how much inspiration American government architecture pulls from ancient Greece and Rome. Those "republics" and "democracies" were built on slave labour and conquest, with the voting privilege restricted to a minority of the population. Those were the societies the 1700s American people aspired to be like.

And now the United States has political families, a consul- sorry, "President" who bought his way to power, and the fear of an "Emperor"... are things coming full circle?

Saelune:
SNIP

I will point out that whole 'immigrants do the jobs no one else wants' is a technical error. Its not that Americans don't want the jobs, its that they won't do them for next to nothing. I'd happily mow yards for extra cash, but not a $6 an hour.
Immigrants aren't more noble or stronger workers, they're cheaper. They're a wage-slave-class. No real rights and they work for pennies.

If you want to fix immigration, start at the homefront. Increase the minimum wage to a living wage, and all those 'jobs no one else wants' will be filled by Americans overnight. Its a supply and demand thing. If an employer goes 'Wanted worker willing to work long hot hours in the blistering sun for no pay and no health care' an American will go 'Well I can't afford to work for that little pay or afford the health cost of such a taxing job' while an illegal immigrant will say 'Its literally better than nothing'
But if that same employer goes 'Wanted Working willing to work long hot hours in the blistering sun for living wage and health care' then an American will think long and hard before dismissing it.

Silentpony:

Saelune:
SNIP

I will point out that whole 'immigrants do the jobs no one else wants' is a technical error. Its not that Americans don't want the jobs, its that they won't do them for next to nothing. I'd happily mow yards for extra cash, but not a $6 an hour.
Immigrants aren't more noble or stronger workers, they're cheaper. They're a wage-slave-class. No real rights and they work for pennies.

If you want to fix immigration, start at the homefront. Increase the minimum wage to a living wage, and all those 'jobs no one else wants' will be filled by Americans overnight. Its a supply and demand thing. If an employer goes 'Wanted worker willing to work long hot hours in the blistering sun for no pay and no health care' an American will go 'Well I can't afford to work for that little pay or afford the health cost of such a taxing job' while an illegal immigrant will say 'Its literally better than nothing'
But if that same employer goes 'Wanted Working willing to work long hot hours in the blistering sun for living wage and health care' then an American will think long and hard before dismissing it.

The fault lies in corrupt corporations in an unregulated capitalist society, not the immigrants desperately trying to get by.

EquestrianGeneral:
Can you sound like you know what you're talking about ONE time? Everything that you say makes you sound more and more like a troll. Seriously consider reevaluating your world view and see the forest for the trees.

I am not someone who consistently defends Trump.

CM156:

She's somewhat right in this post.

Saelune:

Vendor-Lazarus:

Saelune:

For one, treat them as people, people who want a better life, not as monsters, cause they are not monsters. Work to actually figure out which ones are the actual monsters and keep them out, not the family who want to see their kids not grow up in a place run by drug cartels.

You cant solve immigration by just dealing with the immigrants. The solution involved working with Mexico to help improve the country so that it is a place most Mexicans don't think the risk of illegal immigration is worth the risk.

As for the issues with jobs, again, the solution is not dealing with the immigrants who are taking jobs no one else wants, but dealing with corporations abusing the Capitalist country USA is by NOT giving them free reign to do whatever they fucking want.

You say to treat them like people, but then call some of them monsters.
I think you mean more or less criminals? Which ones have only entered illegally to find a better place, and which ones entered illegally to do other illegal things. How should one go about finding that out?
Investigating backgrounds takes time. Should they be allowed into the country and roam free until the case is finished?
What about the drain on resources it will take until they've established themselves? Even the USA can't support everyone on Earth.
Another thing to take into account is how to prevent ghettoization. How do you see this being solved?

How could the USA help Mexico improve?

I agree with you about having a minimum wage and stopping corporations exploiting workers.

Saelune is right. The latest one of Trump's numerous awful acts, he consistently demonizes the media... and now one of his followers has walked into a Maryland newsroom and used his 2nd amendment right gunning down at least 5 people inside. This is a couple of days after some of the pundits on his side called for the execution of journalists. So a journalist from ABC asks our president about the incident. His response... none. He walked away. Asshole could probably barely could contain his glee. I now live in a country where my "president" refuses to condemn a call to wholesale execute members of my profession. Guarantee he won't even wait a halfway respectable amount of time before the next slam on the media leaves his lying facehole.

As I'm writing this from the newsroom where I work, I don't care anymore about fairness, civility, even violence. Fuck it, the revolution just gives me more to write about.

Saelune:

Silentpony:

Saelune:
SNIP

The fault lies in corrupt corporations in an unregulated capitalist society, not the immigrants desperately trying to get by.

Yes of course, but again your anger is bleeding onto people that don't deserve it. Your average blue collar American is not against immigration because 'fuck those brown people speaking foreign!', they're wondering why the fuck their own government is prioritizing immigrants over them, actual citizens.
Yeah people in El Salvador have it bad. So do people in Kansas. So why are Kansas Senators ignoring their voters to concentrate on immigration?

Americans, like every single other nation, want their government to prioritize the citizens and national interest first. And they shouldn't be faulted for that. Does that mean kids in cages? No, obviously not, that's evil. But does that mean a thousand or so people are turned away so the local yard trimming shop has to hire some Americans at a living wage? Yeah, so be it. To America, Americans should be the priority.

Silentpony:

Americans, like every single other nation, want their government to prioritize the citizens and national interest first. And they shouldn't be faulted for that. Does that mean kids in cages? No, obviously not, that's evil. But does that mean a thousand or so people are turned away so the local yard trimming shop has to hire some Americans at a living wage? Yeah, so be it. To America, Americans should be the priority.

American citizens are already the priority, and always have been. Allowing immigration-- and not unfettered immigration, because neither party actually supports a totally open border-- does not represent a total upending of that priority in the slightest.

There are always people who will interpret any move to assist others as the government prioritising "them", regardless of how the actual balance of power stands.

EquestrianGeneral:

Saelune:

EquestrianGeneral:
Can you sound like you know what you're talking about ONE time? Everything that you say makes you sound more and more like a troll. Seriously consider reevaluating your world view and see the forest for the trees.

I am not someone who consistently defends Trump.

If you can't see the sheer hysteria in believing that someone not completely attacking Trump over everything that he does as trolling or never knowing what they're talking about, then you're hopeless. You can live in whatever bubble you want, but the real world is not as black and white as you (or the majority of leftist weirdos on this site) think it is.

Still about 50:50 on the believing if you're trolling thing. Certainly edging further toward trolling.

Caring about my country and the people in it is not trolling. If you think empathy is trolling, that is on you.

Vendor-Lazarus:

Saelune:

Vendor-Lazarus:

You say to treat them like people, but then call some of them monsters.
I think you mean more or less criminals? Which ones have only entered illegally to find a better place, and which ones entered illegally to do other illegal things. How should one go about finding that out?
Investigating backgrounds takes time. Should they be allowed into the country and roam free until the case is finished?
What about the drain on resources it will take until they've established themselves? Even the USA can't support everyone on Earth.
Another thing to take into account is how to prevent ghettoization. How do you see this being solved?

How could the USA help Mexico improve?

I agree with you about having a minimum wage and stopping corporations exploiting workers.

No, 'criminals' is a misleading word. Breaking the law does not make you a monster. A runaway slave was a criminal, a slave owner was not. The monster was the one owning human lives as property.

US cant support everyone, doesn't mean we are wrong for trying.

I don't know all the answers, but denying people their humanity cause they look different, come from somewhere else and just want a better life is wrong.

Silentpony:

Saelune:

Silentpony:

Yes of course, but again your anger is bleeding onto people that don't deserve it. Your average blue collar American is not against immigration because 'fuck those brown people speaking foreign!', they're wondering why the fuck their own government is prioritizing immigrants over them, actual citizens.
Yeah people in El Salvador have it bad. So do people in Kansas. So why are Kansas Senators ignoring their voters to concentrate on immigration?

Anyone who can sell out swarths of innocent people to save their own ass deserves my ire. Those 'blue collar workers' sold out tons of others to save their own asses, and did not even get their asses saved. Fuck them and fuck that.

No one who voted for Trump prioritized the American people. None. They prioritized rich white straight men who hate them just a bit less than they hate non-whites and LGBT people.

Saelune:

No one who voted for Trump prioritized the American people. None. They prioritized rich white straight men who hate them just a bit less than they hate non-whites and LGBT people.

You know, for someone who loves to chastise people who didn't vote or voted for a 3rd party for "effectively voting for Trump", you seem awfully dedicated to hurting the Democrats as much as possible. If I didn't know better I'd think you where actually a Republican trying to smear Democrats while pretending to be one.

Silentpony:

Indeed.

However, the objection I would have to attitudes on immigration is that the government could easily look after its citizens a lot more without changing immigration policy in the slightest. What we're actually discussing is how shit it is for poor citizens.

This is sustained by a narrative that "that's the way it is". They're supposed to be poor, exploited, with minimal welfare and healthcare. The message is that the alternative is socialism and an imploding economy. So, chaps, you'd better not have that minimum pay rise, better not have a labour union, better job conditions, etc. because otherwise the USA won't be great anymore. No matter whether the poor have swallowed this message or resist it, it will be hard for them to look at foreigners crossing the border who don't seem to be that much worse off. And so it is one of the ways that different sectors of the poor are set against each other rather than asking more of the affluent.

Silentpony:

That they are not is nothing to do with immigration.

Admittedly, there's a lot of effort into pretending that is the problem, but if immigration magically stopped, you'd need some other wizard to get Trump and the GOP (amongst others) to care about the working class. They'd go blame some other group instead and avoid dealing with the problem, except when they make it worse.

Hell, Trump wants to go after legal immigrants who are US citizens.

Zontar:

Saelune:

You know, for someone who loves to chastise people who didn't vote or voted for a 3rd party for "effectively voting for Trump", you seem awfully dedicated to hurting the Democrats as much as possible. If I didn't know better I'd think you where actually a Republican trying to smear Democrats while pretending to be one.

If right-wingers think I am doing something wrong, then I am probably doing something right.

Saelune, you make it sound better than it is. The United States was founded on land theft, genocide, white supremacy and slavery, and a rebellion against aristocratic constitutional monarchy to replace it with oligarchic sham democracy. (Though, to be fair, some of the founding fathers favored a system of self employment rather than wage labor; none of them knew precisely what was to come on that front.)

Kyrian007:
Saelune is right. The latest one of Trump's numerous awful acts, he consistently demonizes the media... and now one of his followers has walked into a Maryland newsroom and used his 2nd amendment right gunning down at least 5 people inside. This is a couple of days after some of the pundits on his side called for the execution of journalists. So a journalist from ABC asks our president about the incident. His response... none. He walked away. Asshole could probably barely could contain his glee. I now live in a country where my "president" refuses to condemn a call to wholesale execute members of my profession. Guarantee he won't even wait a halfway respectable amount of time before the next slam on the media leaves his lying facehole.

As I'm writing this from the newsroom where I work, I don't care anymore about fairness, civility, even violence. Fuck it, the revolution just gives me more to write about.

Citation needed. no wonder nobody trusts journalists anymore.

ex951753:

Conservative provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos on Thursday insisted that he "wasn't being serious" when he recently told two reporters that he "can't wait for the vigilante squads to start gunning journalists."

Yiannopoulos's comments Thursday came shortly after a gunman opened fire in the Capital Gazette newsroom in Annapolis, Md., leaving at least five people dead and several others seriously injured. Authorities have taken a suspect into custody, but have not yet released an identity or motive.

"You're about to see a raft of news stories claiming that I am responsible for inspiring the deaths of journalists," Yiannopoulos wrote in a Facebook post. "The truth, as always, is the opposite of what the media tells you."

"I sent a troll about 'vigilante death squads' as a *private* response to a few hostile journalists who were asking me for comment, basically as a way of saying, 'F---k off.' They then published it," he continued. "Amazed they were pretending to take my joke as a 'threat,' I reposted these stories on Instagram to mock them - and to make it clear that I wasn't being serious."

Kwak:

ex951753:

Conservative provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos on Thursday insisted that he "wasn't being serious" when he recently told two reporters that he ?can?t wait for the vigilante squads to start gunning journalists.?

Yiannopoulos's comments Thursday came shortly after a gunman opened fire in the Capital Gazette newsroom in Annapolis, Md., leaving at least five people dead and several others seriously injured. Authorities have taken a suspect into custody, but have not yet released an identity or motive.

?You?re about to see a raft of news stories claiming that I am responsible for inspiring the deaths of journalists,? Yiannopoulos wrote in a Facebook post. ?The truth, as always, is the opposite of what the media tells you.?

?I sent a troll about 'vigilante death squads' as a *private* response to a few hostile journalists who were asking me for comment, basically as a way of saying, 'F---k off.' They then published it,? he continued. ?Amazed they were pretending to take my joke as a 'threat,' I reposted these stories on Instagram to mock them ? and to make it clear that I wasn?t being serious.?

Fox and Breitbart are so quick to give up their job titles when it comes to demonizing the media.

Seanchaidh:
Saelune, you make it sound better than it is. The United States was founded on land theft, genocide, white supremacy and slavery, and a rebellion against aristocratic constitutional monarchy to replace it with oligarchic sham democracy. (Though, to be fair, some of the founding fathers favored a system of self employment rather than wage labor; none of them knew precisely what was to come on that front.)

So right on point.

Kyrian007:

Why won't Trump meet and sign the poor families' sentiments for this? As a non American, the anger felt is something I hope is shared to far greater extents. Everything they say is a lie. Not even slightly convincing lies. But people are still convinced. What is wrong in their heads?

Majestic Manatee:

Why won't Trump meet and sign the poor families' sentiments for this? As a non American, the anger felt is something I hope is shared to far greater extents. Everything they say is a lie. Not even slightly convincing lies. But people are still convinced. What is wrong in their heads?

Same thing that people who are under the delusion the Democrats are working for the interests of workers and minorities are despite openly being the mouthpieces for megacorporations: it's the silver lining that makes the difference between the clouds.

Also, how the fuck does an Arab immigrant raised by Puerto Rican adoptive parents who's a registered Democrat end up with the blame for his horrendous crime placed on Republicans? I don't think /pol/ could have asked for a more perfect candidate to push their politics.

Saelune:

Zontar:

Saelune:

If right-wingers think I am doing something wrong, then I am probably doing something right.

On the contrary, we fucking love what you and people like you are doing, you're our single greatest source for recruitment. Please, keep on trucking.

Zontar:

Majestic Manatee:

Same thing that people who are under the delusion the Democrats are working for the interests of workers and minorities are despite openly being the mouthpieces for megacorporations: it's the silver lining that makes the difference between the clouds.

Also, how the fuck does an Arab immigrant raised by Puerto Rican adoptive parents who's a registered Democrat end up with the blame for his horrendous crime placed on Republicans? I don't think /pol/ could have asked for a more perfect candidate to push their politics.

Saelune:

Zontar:

On the contrary, we fucking love what you and people like you are doing, you're our single greatest source for recruitment. Please, keep on trucking.

Homophobia and transphobia are a common trait of right-wingers, so you got me there

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here