The US was a country founded on illegal immigration and open rebellion.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Zontar:
Fake news

You could not sound more alone if you tried.

Saelune:

Zontar:

Majestic Manatee:

Why won't Trump meet and sign the poor families' sentiments for this? As a non American, the anger felt is something I hope is shared to far greater extents. Everything they say is a lie. Not even slightly convincing lies. But people are still convinced. What is wrong in their heads?

Same thing that people who are under the delusion the Democrats are working for the interests of workers and minorities are despite openly being the mouthpieces for megacorporations: it's the silver lining that makes the difference between the clouds.

Also, how the fuck does an Arab immigrant raised by Puerto Rican adoptive parents who's a registered Democrat end up with the blame for his horrendous crime placed on Republicans? I don't think /pol/ could have asked for a more perfect candidate to push their politics.

Saelune:
If right-wingers think I am doing something wrong, then I am probably doing something right.

On the contrary, we fucking love what you and people like you are doing, you're our single greatest source for recruitment. Please, keep on trucking.

Homophobia and transphobia are a common trait of right-wingers, so you got me there

Not that I inherently disagree, but is it really a common trait? I mean yes there is absolutely a disgustingly vocal group of fuckers in the right-wing who are homophobes and transphobes. But are they the majority? Or just loud? The metaphorical kid with a airhorn in a crowd of hundreds of silent people.
Not that the silent people get off for letting the loud people shout over them, but I'm not sure if its common, ie the majority.

Saelune:
Homophobia and transphobia are a common trait of right-wingers, so you got me there

For the last time, someone hating you isn't the same as hating people with the same physical or mental characteristics as you. Just because you go out of your way to be confrontational with anyone right of Mao doesn't mean 85% of society is homophobic or transphobic, any more then your dislike of me makes you antisemitic.

Silentpony:

Not that I inherently disagree, but is it really a common trait?

Given how a majority of American conservatives have no problem with gay marriage, well that fact speaks for itself.

Zontar:

Silentpony:

Given how a majority of American conservatives have no problem with gay marriage, well that fact speaks for itself.

Yes, a thread-bare majority as of last year (previous years its wasn't)

And it only took them several decades longer than everyone else, as they were dragged kicking and screaming into it.

I look forward to how long it takes republicans to get on the gay adoption thing as well.

Personally, this doesn't really absolve conservatives of anything. Because we've all been well aware that they've simply cycled targets to the next minority they can get away with bullying (be it trans people, or I guess immigrants are really hot right now). I'm interested in seeing who they pick after trans people and asylum seekers.

Zontar:

Silentpony:

In addition to what undeadsuitor posted, the GOP seems to have given up on homosexual discrimination and trans people seem to be their new favorite punching bag. Funny thing about the GOP, it's always looking for a minority to punch down at.

Something you will never admit despite the fact the evidence is practically screaming at us all in the face.

Also a reminder, the majority of GOP voters are a-ok with locking kids in cages.

Kwak:

ex951753:

Citation needed. no wonder nobody trusts journalists anymore.

Conservative provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos on Thursday insisted that he "wasn't being serious" when he recently told two reporters that he ?can?t wait for the vigilante squads to start gunning journalists.?

Yiannopoulos's comments Thursday came shortly after a gunman opened fire in the Capital Gazette newsroom in Annapolis, Md., leaving at least five people dead and several others seriously injured. Authorities have taken a suspect into custody, but have not yet released an identity or motive.

?You?re about to see a raft of news stories claiming that I am responsible for inspiring the deaths of journalists,? Yiannopoulos wrote in a Facebook post. ?The truth, as always, is the opposite of what the media tells you.?

?I sent a troll about 'vigilante death squads' as a *private* response to a few hostile journalists who were asking me for comment, basically as a way of saying, 'F---k off.' They then published it,? he continued. ?Amazed they were pretending to take my joke as a 'threat,' I reposted these stories on Instagram to mock them ? and to make it clear that I wasn?t being serious.?

That's not what he wrote though is it? He said a supporter of Trump(LIE) went in and shot up a bunch of people and Trump walking away when asked about the shooting, which would be pretty bad if it video in question was during a press release Q/A, but it was just a bunch of screeching reporters as Trump walks pass. That is Fox News level spinning the narrative.

erttheking:

Also a reminder, the majority of GOP voters are a-ok with locking kids in cages.

What Democrats pretend it is:

What it really is:

Reminder that Obama put kids in cages and Democrats didn't pretend to care.

undeadsuitor:

Zontar:

Silentpony:

And it only took them several decades longer than everyone else, as they were dragged kicking and screaming into it.

I look forward to how long it takes republicans to get on the gay adoption thing as well.

Personally, this doesn't really absolve conservatives of anything. Because we've all been well aware that they've simply cycled targets to the next minority they can get away with bullying (be it trans people, or I guess immigrants are really hot right now). I'm interested in seeing who they pick after trans people and asylum seekers.

Yeah well everyone needs a scapegoat I guess, and for the GOP it's currently trans people and illegal immigrants making false asylum claims. Democrats have it easy, no need to change their scapegoating whites for all of society's problem and pretending that white conservative untermench are the reason they can't get anything done, even when it's a city where they've had uncontested rule for decades, in a state they have uncontested rule, in a country they had uncontested rule recently.

ex951753:

Kwak:

ex951753:

Conservative provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos on Thursday insisted that he "wasn't being serious" when he recently told two reporters that he ?can?t wait for the vigilante squads to start gunning journalists.?

Yiannopoulos's comments Thursday came shortly after a gunman opened fire in the Capital Gazette newsroom in Annapolis, Md., leaving at least five people dead and several others seriously injured. Authorities have taken a suspect into custody, but have not yet released an identity or motive.

?You?re about to see a raft of news stories claiming that I am responsible for inspiring the deaths of journalists,? Yiannopoulos wrote in a Facebook post. ?The truth, as always, is the opposite of what the media tells you.?

?I sent a troll about 'vigilante death squads' as a *private* response to a few hostile journalists who were asking me for comment, basically as a way of saying, 'F---k off.' They then published it,? he continued. ?Amazed they were pretending to take my joke as a 'threat,' I reposted these stories on Instagram to mock them ? and to make it clear that I wasn?t being serious.?

That's not what he wrote though is it? He said a supporter of Trump(LIE) went in and shot up a bunch of people and Trump walking away when asked about the shooting, which would be pretty bad if it video in question was during a press release Q/A, but it was just a bunch of screeching reporters as Trump walks pass. That is Fox News level spinning the narrative.

Oh okay, I guess only he can answer that then. He was kind of upset, being a journalist and feeling personally targeted by the current cultural tone, and the evidence for that is everywhere.

Zontar:
snip.

One, you didn?t address my point about trans people, cherry picking as you always do. Two, regardless of circumstances (unsourced pictures, try harder) the majority of GOP voters are ok with taking kids away from parents with the stated intent to punish the parents, did Obama do that? No. Three. Every time I point out a GOP flaw you can?t actuslly defend it. You go straight into whatsboutism because it?s the only string to your bow. Like clockwork with you.

Zontar:

Saelune:

For the last time, someone hating you isn't the same as hating people with the same physical or mental characteristics as you. Just because you go out of your way to be confrontational with anyone right of Mao doesn't mean 85% of society is homophobic or transphobic, any more then your dislike of me makes you antisemitic.

Fun Fact: You and Milo Yiannopolous have like, the exact same story about a Jewish grandmother.

And your comment about hating a person does not mean you hate all people who are physically the same as them, I will keep that in mind the next time you try to accuse someone of hating all straight white men just cause they hate a specific straight white man for being awful.

Zontar:

erttheking:

What Democrats pretend it is:

What it really is:

Reminder that Obama put kids in cages and Democrats didn't pretend to care.

The answer is no. Anyone who blames Obama is factually wrong. Trump was the one who made a policy of putting children in cages, separated from their family. Anyone who says otherwise is either misinformed, or outright lying.

Silentpony:

Saelune:

Zontar:

Same thing that people who are under the delusion the Democrats are working for the interests of workers and minorities are despite openly being the mouthpieces for megacorporations: it's the silver lining that makes the difference between the clouds.

Also, how the fuck does an Arab immigrant raised by Puerto Rican adoptive parents who's a registered Democrat end up with the blame for his horrendous crime placed on Republicans? I don't think /pol/ could have asked for a more perfect candidate to push their politics.

On the contrary, we fucking love what you and people like you are doing, you're our single greatest source for recruitment. Please, keep on trucking.

Not that I inherently disagree, but is it really a common trait? I mean yes there is absolutely a disgustingly vocal group of fuckers in the right-wing who are homophobes and transphobes. But are they the majority? Or just loud? The metaphorical kid with a airhorn in a crowd of hundreds of silent people.
Not that the silent people get off for letting the loud people shout over them, but I'm not sure if its common, ie the majority.

Anti-LGBT views and policies are a right-wing platform. They all support it. If they cared about LGBT people, they would vote against them. If they are 'not anti-LGBT' but vote for someone who is, then they ARE anti-LGBT.

ex951753:

Kyrian007:
Saelune is right. The latest one of Trump's numerous awful acts, he consistently demonizes the media... and now one of his followers has walked into a Maryland newsroom and used his 2nd amendment right gunning down at least 5 people inside. This is a couple of days after some of the pundits on his side called for the execution of journalists. So a journalist from ABC asks our president about the incident. His response... none. He walked away. Asshole could probably barely could contain his glee. I now live in a country where my "president" refuses to condemn a call to wholesale execute members of my profession. Guarantee he won't even wait a halfway respectable amount of time before the next slam on the media leaves his lying facehole.

As I'm writing this from the newsroom where I work, I don't care anymore about fairness, civility, even violence. Fuck it, the revolution just gives me more to write about.

I just thought people were paying attention. Its just journalists right, so fuck it. Anyway if you aren't good enough with a search engine to find it, here it is on twitter. https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1012465124517572615

Oh, not a Trump supporter is he? He has a gun, he hates journalists... got a lot in tune with Trump supporters right there. But let me put it to you this way. He has a decade long grudge against that newspaper, but for year after year after year... just a nutcase troll. Then after 2 years of our president calling the media the enemy of the people. This troll turns violent. And he isn't the only one, threats of violence are up at many newsrooms. I get plenty of the calls myself. I had a police officer, a fucking police officer who was helping out on a traffic accident that happened in my front yard (while I was off the clock) say I had to go back inside my house because they weren't setting up a staging area for the media. And then just refused to answer my questions until "a supervisor" got there. The guy driving our vehicle in the 4th of July parade last year got the finger and boos from the crowd. Jesus Christ I'm a local radio reporter trying to tell people what happened in suburban city council meetings but somehow I'm an enemy of the people? Well, fuck the people, fuck this country, fuck objectivity and journalistic integrity. He says we're fake news, fuck it I'm not above that anymore. Not if it can convince even just one more person to hate him... worth it.

Zontar:

undeadsuitor:

Zontar:

Yeah well everyone needs a scapegoat I guess, and for the GOP it's currently trans people and illegal immigrants making false asylum claims. Democrats have it easy, no need to change their scapegoating whites for all of society's problem and pretending that white conservative untermench are the reason they can't get anything done, even when it's a city where they've had uncontested rule for decades, in a state they have uncontested rule, in a country they had uncontested rule recently.

Oh good. It's nice to know the goalpost has been moved from "illegally entering the country" to "making false asylum claims". Can't wait to see what unsourced video I have to sit through you claim proves your point.

I mean, at least you're admitting that the conservative party regularly throws persecuted minorities under the bus to distract their voting base from realizing what an utter trainwreck their policies and plans are. It's progress!

undeadsuitor:

Oh good. It's nice to know the goalpost has been moved from "illegally entering the country" to "making false asylum claims". Can't wait to see what unsourced video I have to sit through you claim proves your point.

No need, just the fact of illegal entry being used as the means rather then making the claim at a legal port of entry (or the 19 consulates the US has in Mexico on top of the embassy). If you where a refugee, would you risk your life taking a route that's 100% assured to see your claims to asylum rejected over one that's safe and, if you have a valid claim, has an actual chance of accemptece?

Why risk your life to decrease your chances of success? The answer is that no one is that stupid, they aren't refugees, they're illegals and they're just adding time to the process. I mean shit, the mother of that girl that Times took a picture of (who funny enough was never separated from her mother) even explicitly came to the US for work (but still claimed asylum anyway).

I mean, at least you're admitting that the conservative party regularly throws persecuted minorities under the bus to distract their voting base from realizing what an utter trainwreck their policies and plans are. It's progress!

Well yeah, every party does that shit, I literally cannot think of a party that doesn't, and realistically you can't either.

Kyrian007:

ex951753:

Kyrian007:
Saelune is right. The latest one of Trump's numerous awful acts, he consistently demonizes the media... and now one of his followers has walked into a Maryland newsroom and used his 2nd amendment right gunning down at least 5 people inside. This is a couple of days after some of the pundits on his side called for the execution of journalists. So a journalist from ABC asks our president about the incident. His response... none. He walked away. Asshole could probably barely could contain his glee. I now live in a country where my "president" refuses to condemn a call to wholesale execute members of my profession. Guarantee he won't even wait a halfway respectable amount of time before the next slam on the media leaves his lying facehole.

As I'm writing this from the newsroom where I work, I don't care anymore about fairness, civility, even violence. Fuck it, the revolution just gives me more to write about.

I just though people were paying attention. Its just journalists right, so fuck it. Anyway if you aren't good enough with a search engine to find it, here it is on twitter. https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1012465124517572615

>Heckle the President
>Surprised that no response was given

Yet another "only in America" situation right there, no one would bat an eyelash at Trudeau doing that up here, even I wouldn't harp on about it, and I fucking hate Trudeau.

I still haven't gotten anyone to answer me this though: how is the crime of a registered Democrat (who to my knowledge still hasn't had the reason revealed, meaning we don't even know if this constitutes terrorism or a non-political/religious act of homicide) being blamed on Republicans? Because the victims where journalists, and most journalists have decided to take part in a partisan war with Republicans, so anything bad that happens to them is automatically the fault of Republicans? I just don't get the logic.

Zontar:

undeadsuitor:

No need, just the fact of illegal entry being used as the means rather then making the claim at a legal port of entry (or the 19 consulates the US has in Mexico on top of the embassy). If you where a refugee, would you risk your life taking a route that's 100% assured to see your claims to asylum rejected over one that's safe and, if you have a valid claim, has an actual chance of accemptece?

Why risk your life to decrease your chances of success? The answer is that no one is that stupid, they aren't refugees, they're illegals and they're just adding time to the process. I mean shit, the mother of that girl that Times took a picture of (who funny enough was never separated from her mother) even explicitly came to the US for work (but still claimed asylum anyway).

So they make an unverified claim and get turned away. And yet you act like they're breaking the biggest law in the country because?

Well yeah, every party does that shit, I literally cannot think of a party that doesn't, and realistically you can't either.[/quote]

Oh hey! Zontar's "Everyone is bad" fallback! Mention your fake jewish heritage and I'll have bingo! Does it count if I ask you to mention it? I suppose it would.

undeadsuitor:
So they make an unverified claim and get turned away. And yet you act like they're breaking the biggest law in the country because?

They aren't breaking the biggest law ever, but they are breaking the law, and should be deported and banned from entry for it.

Oh hey! Zontar's "Everyone is bad" fallback! Mention your fake jewish heritage and I'll have bingo! Does it count if I ask you to mention it? I suppose it would.

You know, because you can't name a party that doesn't do it, why not just not bring it up at all instead of insulting my family?

Zontar:

I still haven't gotten anyone to answer me this though: how is the crime of a registered Democrat (who to my knowledge still hasn't had the reason revealed, meaning we don't even know if this constitutes terrorism or a non-political/religious act of homicide) being blamed on Republicans? Because the victims where journalists, and most journalists have decided to take part in a partisan war with Republicans, so anything bad that happens to them is automatically the fault of Republicans? I just don't get the logic.

Same reason that most of the conservative posters on this site complain about the new use of the word nazis and the implication of violence against them. If people claim it's okay to hit nazi's, and people start labeling the alt-right as nazis. Does that make it okay to hit members of the alt-right?

Many posters on this site think so.

So when you have Trump and the Republican establishment spreading falsehoods against the press, inciting verbal abuse against the press, and normalizing and pushing the partisan war you claim the press is a part of

When violence starts against the press is it the republicans fault for inciting it? The above logic says so.

When an american political party starts treating the free press as enemies of the state, it's not that far off to lay the blame partially at their feet when press are targeted.

Zontar:

They aren't breaking the biggest law ever, but they are breaking the law, and should be deported and banned from entry for it.

idk man, I guess I just don't see "asking for asylum and not getting it" as that big of a deal, especially when you look at all the laws broken by the very politicians that complain about them.

You know, because you can't name a party that doesn't do it, why not just not bring it up at all instead of insulting my family?

Better question. If both parties are the same in terms of policy impact on American people, why do you support conservatives?

undeadsuitor:

When an american political party starts treating the free press as enemies of the state, it's not that far off to lay the blame partially at their feet when press are targeted.

You know, people have agency. The guy who shot up the place wasn't the man you're blaming here, and hell that applies to a shit ton of situations (remember the YouTube shooting? I don't see people blaming the right for that one for some reason, despite arguably being a similar situation to this).

And hell, maybe if the media hadn't predominately taken the stance that Trump is their enemy, to be attacked even if he doesn't something right, even if it means outright lying, even if it means making those who believe you look like idiots 5 minutes after the lie is exposed, then maybe the antagonism wouldn't be so bad. Trump has a lot of flaws and a lot of problems, but it's hard to tell what some of them are when the media prefers to make shit up and spread that around instead. It's like those Monsanto protesters who actively help the company because they distract from the real problems by focusing on non-issues.

I mean god damn, I can count on one hand how many actual journalists there are in the US I know of, and none of them are working on television, radio, print or digital articles (and two of them just do shit relating to the video game industry). Maybe I'd have more sympathy for those crying "it's because of toxic rhetoric" weren't yellow journalists who have gone out of their way to deligitimise the forth estate and have done more damage to it then Trump ever could.

undeadsuitor:
idk man, I guess I just don't see "asking for asylum and not getting it" as that big of a deal, especially when you look at all the laws broken by the very politicians that complain about them.

That's not the crime they're committing, it's just an incredibly immoral thing they're doing. It should be a crime, sure, but it isn't, it's just abhorrent. The crime is illegal entry.

Better question. If both parties are the same in terms of policy impact on American people, why do you support conservatives?

Because there's a slight difference between them in the form of which groups they throw a bone to, and I'd rather support the one throwing me that bone then the one blaming me for all of society's problems.

Zontar:

undeadsuitor:

You know, people have agency. The guy who shot up the place wasn't the man you're blaming here, and hell that applies to a shit ton of situations (remember the YouTube shooting? I don't see people blaming the right for that one for some reason, despite arguably being a similar situation to this).

And hell, maybe if the media hadn't predominately taken the stance that Trump is their enemy, to be attacked even if he doesn't something right, even if it means outright lying, even if it means making those who believe you look like idiots 5 minutes after the lie is exposed, then maybe the antagonism wouldn't be so bad. Trump has a lot of flaws and a lot of problems, but it's hard to tell what some of them are when the media prefers to make shit up and spread that around instead. It's like those Monsanto protesters who actively help the company because they distract from the real problems by focusing on non-issues.

I mean god damn, I can count on one hand how many actual journalists there are in the US I know of, and none of them are working on television, radio, print or digital articles (and two of them just do shit relating to the video game industry). Maybe I'd have more sympathy for those crying "it's because of toxic rhetoric" weren't yellow journalists who have gone out of their way to deligitimise the forth estate and have done more damage to it then Trump ever could.

undeadsuitor:

That's not the crime they're committing, it's just an incredibly immoral thing they're doing. It should be a crime, sure, but it isn't, it's just abhorrent. The crime is illegal entry.

Because there's a slight difference between them in the form of which groups they throw a bone to, and I'd rather support the one throwing me that bone then the one blaming me for all of society's problems.

LOL, so your entire political stance is to be reactionary to a perceived group that you think is blaming your gender and (I assume) skin color for all of lifes ills? You people are so scared of some rando on twitter you will burn down the world just to make sure you get them.

Zontar:

Saelune:

The answer is no. Anyone who blames Obama is factually wrong. Trump was the one who made a policy of putting children in cages, separated from their family. Anyone who says otherwise is either misinformed, or outright lying.

Who would win between:

>A corporate propaganda company that has been shown to consistently lie to its viewers and even outright fabricate fake events to report on, making it illegal to operate as a news outlet in most Western nations

or

>Reality

Womp Womp

Saelune:
Anti-LGBT views and policies are a right-wing platform. They all support it. If they cared about LGBT people, they would vote against them. If they are 'not anti-LGBT' but vote for someone who is, then they ARE anti-LGBT.

Saelune, are you secretly trying to tell us something here? Because this is something that is literally impossible to conclude with a rational, logical, or even coherent thought. I mean even ignoring the fact you've just explicitly given people like me a blank check to say you hate white people and you think everyone on the left inherently hates white people (because that is the only way you can be anything other then a hypocrite who irrationally hates anyone to the right and looks for excuses to justify that blind hatred despite being aware it's just that, blind hatred), do you really think that every single person who voted GOP hates gays and trans people? Do you really think that in an election, where one side was overtly insulting large swaths of the nation while the other was pandering to that same group, that the reason they voted for the one who pandered to them instead of insulted them was because people like you exist?

Honestly Saelune, get over yourself, you are not that special.

You are resorting to childish insults instead of addressing my points.

100% of people who voted for Republicans voted for people who oppose LGBT-Rights. That is pure objective fact.

I know you, so I know you are implying dems did it, but again, it is pure objective fact that Republicans insulted everyone who was not straight, white, male and well off. Give or take a senator with cancer.

Zontar:
how is the crime of a registered Democrat.

Where did you get that from?
http://start.att.net/news/read/category/lifestyle/article/heavy-jarrod_ramos_politics_was_suspect_republican_or_de-heavy
Thus far, it appears that Ramos's motive was part of a longer campaign of harassment against people at the newspaper dating to the harassment case.
According to Maryland voter records, Jarrod W. Ramos (full name Jarrod Warren Ramos) was listed as an unaffiliated voter. His registration dates to 2005, however.

Zontar:

So it was solely the dudes fault

Okay so now it's the media's fault (so much for agency I guess)

But going to a port of entry and asking for asylum isn't illegal. So really, they aren't breaking any laws. You just don't like them doing it.

So, it's a combination of "Fuck you got mine" and having your fee fees hurt?

Silentpony:

If you only count people loudly calling for (or causing) harm to LGBT people, then no.

However, as Saelune said, you don't get politicians voted in on blatantly anti-LGBT platforms unless people vote for them. Either they don't care about the rights of LGBT people, or they actively oppose them.

To add to that, you don't get loud ranty bigots magically appearing out of nowhere, they are just further along the sliding scale, supported and encouraged by the quieter ones standing behind them. The ones behind them might like to claim they aren't one of the extremists, but they just keep choosing to support them for some reason.

If it was just some tiny fringe group opposing LGBT rights, they'd gather no support, but they would gather massive amounts of opposition.

The world was founded by Conquerers and Warriors whose ambitions were hotter then the sun Saelune.

The world was forged by Fire and Blood and Victors who mostly had no mercy.

undeadsuitor:

But going to a port of entry and asking for asylum isn't illegal. So really, they aren't breaking any laws. You just don't like them doing it.

Technically speaking, it isn't a crime in any case to enter the United States at any point and turn yourself in for asylum, port of entry or no. That's why the Coast Guard was so keen on preventing people fleeing Cuba from making landfall.

Oh, and you can't request asylum at US consulates and embassies, it's literally not allowed.

Samtemdo8:
The world was founded by Conquerers and Warriors whose ambitions were hotter then the sun Saelune.

The world was forged by Fire and Blood and Victors who mostly had no mercy.

Oh goody, now is a time I can recommend reading the "Blood and Iron" speech by Otto von Bismarck. Very insightful. One of the greatest orators. Just the best.

Lol, Zontar got suspended.

The post didn't seem bad.

Hot take: America has always been shit. Now I don't want to be unfair, there's a point to be made that they have a better track record than my country because, you know, that whole Holocaust thing, but it's not like America becoming the vanguard of western fascism in the 21st century was somehow a development that came out of left field. America always had a violently dangerous interpretation of Christianity and of Nationalism and of anticommunism and... look, the writing was on the wall about this one for a long time. I'd hesitate to say that America has ever been a force for good for the world at large.If you wanna cut them some slack for opposing the axis in WWII you might as well do the same for Stalinist Russia.

While the syndicate of mentally deranged criminals currently running America might or might not be seen as a sort of peak it was anything but unpredictable. I mean, where the hell did you think all of this was going? Sarah Palin almost became vice president, Rick Santorum almost ran for president, there was no good end to any of this. And even if America has democratic elections again and even if the Democrats put another president in office the only way the country can heal is if that government clearly says "The people who got Trump elected are traitors and they will face the consequences" because as soon as they try to reach out to Trump's followers and win them back they've given their consent for things to continue as usual.

Honestly, the best thing to do after taking back the government might just be to open up the borders completely and hope that within a generation all of American culture will be replaced with something hopefully better because I'm legitimitely not sure if there's anything redeemable about it at this point. At this point, if you're American, the best thing you can do is renounce America. Burn your flags. Cut out the whole "god bless America" shit and especially the "greatest country in the world" shit. I was born in Germany and I can acknowledge that a lot about current Germany is trash. But you know what? I can say with some confidence that having to live in current America, I'd hate even more. Viewing your nation as inherently good and being proud of what it stands for is what got you in this situation in the first place.

PsychedelicDiamond:
Hot take: America has always been shit. Now I don't want to be unfair, there's a point to be made that they have a better track record than my country because, you know, that whole Holocaust thing, but it's not like America becoming the vanguard of western fascism in the 21st century was somehow a development that came out of left field. America always had a violently dangerous interpretation of Christianity and of Nationalism and of anticommunism and... look, the writing was on the wall about this one for a long time. I'd hesitate to say that America has ever been a force for good for the world at large.If you wanna cut them some slack for opposing the axis in WWII you might as well do the same for Stalinist Russia.

While the syndicate of mentally deranged criminals currently running America might or might not be seen as a sort of peak it was anything but unpredictable. I mean, where the hell did you think all of this was going? Sarah Palin almost became vice president, Rick Santorum almost ran for president, there was no good end to any of this. And even if America has democratic elections again and even if the Democrats put another president in office the only way the country can heal is if that government clearly says "The people who got Trump elected are traitors and they will face the consequences" because as soon as they try to reach out to Trump's followers and win them back they've given their consent for things to continue as usual.

Honestly, the best thing to do after taking back the government might just be to open up the borders completely and hope that within a generation all of American culture will be replaced with something hopefully better because I'm legitimitely not sure if there's anything redeemable about it at this point. At this point, if you're American, the best thing you can do is renounce America. Burn your flags. Cut out the whole "god bless America" shit and especially the "greatest country in the world" shit. I was born in Germany and I can acknowledge that a lot about current Germany is trash. But you know what? I can say with some confidence that having to live in current America, I'd hate even more. Viewing your nation as inherently good and being proud of what it stands for is what got you in this situation in the first place.

Here is the thing about Germany. You screwed up. You had a good long hard look at yourselves and went Fascists. You screwed up. You had another hard look and got something reasonable.

All America does is double down on mistakes.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here