Trump creates "Denaturalization task force"

Pages PREV 1 2

Agema:

StatusNil:
See now, this is another one of those times that demonstrates why it would have made sense for the opposition to practice a modicum of discernment in their outrage,

What would also make sense is if you didn't carry water for people doing highly objectionable things, such as blaming his opponents. Let's be unambiguously clear here: you and yours supported him, funded him, talked him up, put him into power. It's your love and devotion feeding his narcissistic ego and driving him. What he does up there is your responsibility long before it's your opponents'.

I love their "you should had gave to us what we wanted on the first place, that way we wouldn't had took it by force instead; just saying" attitude. It beats satire in levels of absurdity.

Silentpony:
However revoking citizenship seems very...political

What do you mean by political?

CaitSeith:

Silentpony:

That they're not doing it because of the stated reasons, ie the person lied on their applications at some point. They're doing it for political points, either to find immigrants who vote Democrat and revoke their right to vote, or simply because the GOP base really doesn't like brown people and this is a legal way to start getting rid of them.

Silvanus:

As I've pointed out before, you direct near-constant denigration, personal insult and dehumanisation towards your political opponents. The rhetoric you employ is genuinely some of the worst here, from left or right.

I hadn't thought so, but judging by the number of disciplinary actions I've been the target of recently, it must be true...

Be that as it may, I take it you haven't noticed how I try to keep my negative assessments aimed at ideas, institutions and public figures rather than fellow forum members. Can you for example remind me of the last time I interrupted a thread just to bring you an unsolicited opinion about your character? I also try to avoid calling people's sanity into question right to their faces on a regular basis, which appears to be a rare courtesy on this forum. Just look at this thread for instance.

About "dehumanization", that's also something I try to avoid. Meaning I make a conscious effort not to call someone a piece of excrement, garbage etc. Do you think I've failed so badly as to be "genuinely one of the worst here" when it comes to such language? That would be disappointing.

I mean it about the effort. If it's not working, why should I even bother? I don't need this in my life.

Silentpony:

CaitSeith:

Silentpony:

That they're not doing it because of the stated reasons, ie the person lied on their applications at some point. They're doing it for political points, either to find immigrants who vote Democrat and revoke their right to vote, or simply because the GOP base really doesn't like brown people and this is a legal way to start getting rid of them.

OK. Thank you.

StatusNil:

Be that as it may, I take it you haven't noticed how I try to keep my negative assessments aimed at ideas, institutions and public figures rather than fellow forum members. Can you for example remind me of the last time I interrupted a thread just to bring you an unsolicited opinion about your character? I also try to avoid calling people's sanity into question right to their faces on a regular basis, which appears to be a rare courtesy on this forum. Just look at this thread for instance.

About "dehumanization", that's also something I try to avoid. Meaning I make a conscious effort not to call someone a piece of excrement, garbage etc. Do you think I've failed so badly as to be "genuinely one of the worst here" when it comes to such language? That would be disappointing.

Well, there was here, where you described political opponents as the "identitarian collectivist" side in a "culture war", standing against "liberty of thought and being". Here, you blamed another forumite for playing a part in the decline of the forum. You seemed to accuse somebody here of wanting to incite violence, without any real basis.

This is all pretty personal stuff, far from being aimed at ideas. But I wasn't really referring to such instances when I posted the above: I was thinking instead of the tendency to describe extreme, absurd positions in order to characterise your opponents. Opponents don't just have different views on a social issue; they want to "abolish white people".

EDIT: I don't want to go on and on. If you're making an effort, that's to be applauded (because plenty of people don't). Each of these instances are from a while ago, after all.

StatusNil:

I mean it about the effort. If it's not working, why should I even bother? I don't need this in my life.

It can work. Respectful debate is rare enough, but not extinct.

If you do want to make an effort, then just take a breath before responding. Don't mischaracterise their position (or try to push their anger gauge up to 11). Don't use terms that exist solely as a political slight (like 'SJW'). This is all stuff that a lot of people need to learn to do, including people on "my side" of the political divide.

Sure because this def won't cause any kinds of problems and won't affect any actual naturalized citizens who became an American citizen fair and square.

-sarcasm-

That's not how I wanted that to go.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook