Does something need to be done about Fox News?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

And by "done" I mean either in the way of laws that restrict their hyperbolic propaganda and often times outright lies (which would in effect also apply to other groups), or in the way of dismantling and breaking it down like a freaking cartel and/or subversive group.

I ask because it seems like the only way to get anywhere with conservatives in the US would be first to break down/cut off the fire hose of outright propaganda and lies they get fed hourly, every day that reinforces pretty much every negative aspect you can name so that they don't have such a major "source" constantly reinforcing them and providing them with support for completely absurd theories and ideas (HI, Birthism, literally everything Trump does, half the fucking conspiracies about the Obamas and Clintons etc.) and making them think they're more validated than they really are.

And no, the propaganda thing isn't a joke. You might be familiar with this video, comparing NK's State Run television to Fox News;

Or the fact that former contributors have said as much;

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/379385-fox-news-contributor-quits-slams-network-as-propaganda-machine-for-trump

This is a network that makes it's viewers so toxic and blind that when one of their own reporters goes on the air and provides the actual version of a story and facts that go against a conspiracy they parade on the channel his ratings drop and he gets harassed by viewers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/11/15/shepard-smiths-long-history-of-infuriating-fox-news-viewers/?utm_term=.8eff4b00af0a]

I mean yes, freedom of speech and all. But it's gotten to the point where what is a blatant propaganda channel exerts as much if not more influence than any legitimate news source or facts and hides behind that guise of "free speech" in order to so, even attacking those who attempt (or do) to disprove them.

Yes, I believe every last person working there should be arrested.

PsychedelicDiamond:

See, but you can't do it like that because it will just martyr them to their viewers and strengthen them. It either needs to be done in a way that looks like its being fair to everyone else and Fox just couldn't handle it because they were so bad, or they need to crumble from the inside a way that makes their viewers lose any faith or trust in them.

We just need a station called Xof Swen that dedicates 24 hours of their programming to JUST debunking Fox News' lies.

Does a counterintelligence investigation count?

No! Love em or hate em (And I hate them for many reasons) Fox News has every right to peddle their crap on the air waves.

I doubt anything can be realistically be done right now as long as their audience doesn't go watch a less radical news source. They have lots of money, influence and audience to face head on.

WolvDragon:
No! Love em or hate em (And I hate them for many reasons) Fox News has every right to peddle their crap on the air waves.

Yeah, but unfortunately they didn't limit themselves to doing only that.

Honestly no, the only things I'd do is force them to remove news from the title since they're technically classified as an entertainment network.

At the end of the day, some people just want to watch a channel that will validate there worldview, if it's not fox news it'd be something else. They probably know that fox news is borderline propaganda, they just don't care.

But they still need to held accountable for not disclosing conflict of interest, like when Hannity was talking about Cohen.

I did, however, think that it'd be funny to trap fox news in a sort of loophole where they'd have to say that things on there network aren't necessary true and then apply that to advertisement. So advertiser could then also run misleading or outright false add on the network and if anyone sued the company based on those add, the company could just say that its accepted that things on the channel are false and as such can't be sued for false advertising. I mean, fox hate when government interfere with market, ensuring that advertisement is true is intervention.

We need a #foxnewsgate...

CaitSeith:

There aren't enough women on Fox to rile up the gater crowd

To be fair Fox News is a self-correcting problem. Their viewers are all older bitter white people, and they die frequently. Glen Beck wasn't fired because he went over a line, he was fired because his rating dropped because his average viewer was 75+ for ten years.

I find it strange that it took my making the 13th post in this thread to point out there's nothing noteworthy about Fox News in comparison to MSNBC (which was explicitly created as its left wing equivalent, and is so over the top even Bill Clinton thinks it's ludicrous) and CNN. What is it about Fox that makes it get singled out for doing what everyone else does? Is it the fact it's pretty much the only right leaning part of televised news reporting (where by comparison MSNBC is insane-rambling left, CNN is boring monotone left, while the major broadcasters are more moderate left). There's really nothing that sets Fox News apart from its contemporaries other then the fact it's right leaning rather then left leaning, at least if you limit yourself to the facts.

Honestly America should have a CRBC standard equivalent. Sure, pretty much no news network could get away with how they currently operate, but things would at least be more factual. Up here due to CRBC guidelines the CBC is actually the least trustworthy news outlet of our three major ones (since they're excluded from it) when compared to Global and CTV.

Paragon Fury:

PsychedelicDiamond:

See, but you can't do it like that because it will just martyr them to their viewers and strengthen them. It either needs to be done in a way that looks like its being fair to everyone else and Fox just couldn't handle it because they were so bad, or they need to crumble from the inside a way that makes their viewers lose any faith or trust in them.

I love it when left wing users here legitimatly make the case that I'm right about Sovietisation of things in the west.

"Ve need to shut down Der right's propaganda in a vey that makes owahs not get shut down, or els Der untermechs vill realize ze party is takin complete control of ze country"

Even on /pol/ the left wing users aren't this bold.

Only if we apply the same rules across all networks. Name one network that doesn't insert the anchor's opinion as fact into their news coverage or never slanted a news story?

Zontar:

That is because it is /pol/, dude. The most "left" position anyone on /pol/ has is "go back to africa".

ex951753:
Only if we apply the same rules across all networks. Name one other network that doesn't insert the anchor's opinion as fact into their news coverage or never slanted a news story?

If one wants to get really broad with it, one should question how news "satire" programs like The Daily Show, Last Week and whatever current Daily Show spin-offs that haven't been cancelled are left should be treated, since they cross the line on acting like they're legitimate news that they can't just be filed away under "comedy". Hell how many people have admitted to making the very horrible mistake of actually using them as a means of staying informed on the news? The answer is far too many.

undeadsuitor:

CaitSeith:

There aren't enough women on Fox to rile up the gater crowd

The gaters would support them 100%, considering this is the station that employeed both Roger Ailes and Bill O'Riley for years.

BreakfastMan:

Zontar:

That is because it is /pol/, dude. The most "left" position anyone on /pol/ has is "go back to africa".

/lefty pol/ is always there, and not just in the form of the commies either.

Zontar:

ex951753:
Only if we apply the same rules across all networks. Name one other network that doesn't insert the anchor's opinion as fact into their news coverage or never slanted a news story?

If one wants to get really broad with it, one should question how news "satire" programs like The Daily Show, Last Week and whatever current Daily Show spin-offs that haven't been cancelled are left should be treated, since they cross the line on acting like they're legitimate news that they can't just be filed away under "comedy". Hell how many people have admitted to making the very horrible mistake of actually using them as a means of staying informed on the news? The answer is far too many.

Oh no, please don't get The Daily Show cancelled. The left would hate that. /sarcasm

Zontar:

BreakfastMan:

Zontar:

dude, you do realize /leftypol/ is a separate thing entirely, right? Like, I know you have never actually been outside of r/the_donald, but still. Even you have to realize this rebuttal makes no sense.

BreakfastMan:

Oh no, please don't get The Daily Show cancelled. The left would hate that. /sarcasm

Given the ratings I'm kind of amazed it's still going, guess Noah decided to take a major pay cut.

Last Week would probably get people REEing though.

BreakfastMan:

Zontar:

BreakfastMan:

dude, you do realize /leftypol/ is a separate thing entirely, right? Like, I know you have never actually been outside of r/the_donald, but still. Even you have to realize this rebuttal makes no sense.

/leftypol/ doesn't exist on 4chan, it only exists as a space on 8chan. On 4chan it's just used to call out leftist users, or to tell those who are clearly raiding to go back where they came from.

Yes, something should be done about Fox News, namely this: the Telecommunications Act of 1996 should be repealed, fairness doctrine reinstated, and anti-trust laws both strengthened and enforced when it comes to television channels.

Good luck arguing that "hyperbolic propaganda" isn't protected speech with this Supreme Court.

I would agree with repealing the Telecommunications Act of 1996 and breaking up the major media empires. But the fairness doctrine being reinstated is a road too far, especially in an era of internet news where demanding people publish other views on their websites will likely run afoul of the first amendment on free speech. Remember, many of the Supreme Court decisions upholding the fairness doctrine used the lack of alternate news sources as an argument (not an issue in this day and age) and that the doctrine probably wouldn't effect/have effected cable news, only public broadcasts.

PsychedelicDiamond:

Assuming you're being serious, I'd be interested to see what you plan on charging them with.

News stations should be allowed opinions shows.

Like, the actual newscasters of Fox aren't terrible. By law, they aren't allowed to be

Adam Jensen:

WolvDragon:

You have a point there, Fox is bullshit.

I don't think they should be taken off air or restricted because thats a bad precedent when it comes to freedom of the press. What I do think should happen is it should be pried out of Murdoch's hands, see if we can pass it on to someone who want use it as their own personal mouthpiece

altnameJag:
News stations should be allowed opinions shows.

Like, the actual newscasters of Fox aren't terrible. By law, they aren't allowed to be

I thought that there was case in 1988 about how Fox did their news and that it could be classed as entertainment news, thus could lie to their heart's content.

Assuming I have this right, I'd be fine with keeping this classification as long as its renamed - so it couldn't include the word news. I.e. Opinion shows couldn't be called news (but they are still news adjacent being on the same channel.)

Bit late now. But yeah, a bit more effort into thoroughly debunking them wouldn't hurt, but nobody who's drinking the Kool-Aid would likely care anyway.

WolvDragon:

Adam Jensen:

WolvDragon:

You have a point there, Fox is bullshit.

I'm referring to the fact that Fox News is under a counterintelligence investigation. Sean Hannity was pretty much caught conspiring with Assange (who is considered by the US to be a foreign intelligence agent) to commit an act of espionage against a sitting US Senator. And that's just what's publicly known.

Paragon Fury:
And by "done" I mean either in the way of laws that restrict their hyperbolic propaganda and often times outright lies (which would in effect also apply to other groups), or in the way of dismantling and breaking it down like a freaking cartel and/or subversive group.

Free press is free press.

In the sense that "something should be done", it shouldn't be by government diktat. Ultimately, perhaps we just need our society to collapse down a hole of misinformation and gibberish so we can learn as a whole society that reading non-stop triviality and bullshit leads to catastrophe.

Alternatively, in my more cynical moments, perhaps irrespective of what I believe and hopep, China and Russia are the future and have the right idea. Maybe the public inherently can't be trusted, and the future of governance is an oligarchy carefully selecting what we're supposed to know. Maybe free democracy based on informed consent only ever worked with information available through select gateways, and now those gateways are blown open, here comes the fall.

Something should be done about CNN and the New York Times first.
But no, governments shouldn't interfere with freedom of the press. The press should be able to publish anything as long as it isn't libellous, conjecture or untrue and people should be free to patronise whichever outlet they choose.

The only thing I think needs to be done is that Fox news has to take off the 'News' part of it's name if it keeps putting out opinion.

I have no problem with them espousing their opinions. That's what we all should have the ability to do. But when those opinions come from an Murdoch opinion outlet which is labeled as a 'News Network', then people start thinking they are facts. That's where we get the Pizza Gate's, long time commentators for Fox news leaving, calling it a 'propaganda arm for a wanton president", or the backlash of Shepard Smith just pointing out that the Hillary Uranium 'scandal' wasn't real... to the point where his viewers told him to work with CNN for daring to present the facts as he sees them.

Propaganda is dangerous. People obviously want to be lead. I don't want to stop opinions, but there's a lot of people who believe you can't air it if it isn't true. So if Fox news is allowed to say whatever they want... some gullable masses will think they are the only ones with the courage to say these things to them. Instead of seeing a lot of it is sponsored lies.

I'm not sure what one would do about it. I mean, instituting some kind of federal law that requires news stations to be nonpartisan would very rapidly be abused by whichever party was in charge of appointing the head of whatever agency was created to enforce that law.

The only real solution is for Fox News to become unprofitable. Sadly, it is not unprofitable. It is extremely profitable. This is because its viewers are heavily opinionated, insufficiently discerning, and highly insulated against contradictory political opinions.

Short of Fox's owners themselves having a sudden change of heart or the reveal of some massive News of the World type scandal, there's nothing to be done. You just gotta...keep fact-checking. Always. Endlessly. Forever. ABC (Always Be Checkin').

Zontar:
What is it about Fox that makes it get singled out for doing what everyone else does?

There's no right-wing version of the New York Times to balance it out, is why.

All cable news essentially sucks ass. MSNBC, Fox, CNN - whatever. It's all garbage. But there's no equivalent to the NYT in the right-wing media sphere. There's no paper of record. The NYT certainly leans in a certain way, but they take journalistic ethics very seriously - their reputation is literally all that distinguishes them from any other news site in the Internet era. If they started acting like Buzzfeed, they would...have the same reputation Buzzfeed does.

Even Fox News talking-man Tucker Carlson once acknowledged the need for a fact-based conservative paper of record to serve as a countersource to the NYT for conservative news readers. The problem is that all the possible candidates - the Wall Street Journal is the only one that pops to mind - are, well, owned by Rupert Murdoch, who also owns Fox News and who is certainly not shy about pressuring editors to run certain stories that he finds politically advantageous.

I would read a conservative version of the NYT. Just to get a perspective. But the while the left-wing media sphere certainly has its share of hysterical doomsayers, political operatives and shameless pundits, the problem with the right-wing is that this is all that they have. Most Republicans get their news from Fox News and even then, they don't get it from Fox's actual news shows - they get it from pundits like Sean Hannity, Laura Ingraham, Jeanine Pirro and (sadly) Tucker Carlson, whose shows are more properly characterised as political entertainment - more like the Late Show than actual news.

Something needs to be done about all mainstream media conglomerates, as well as popstands like NPR. They're all agenda-setters with special interests that spoon feed the same old politically correct drivel to the masses. The sad part is most people take what they say as gospel, when they're all still merely groups of flawed individuals simply doing what they're told and collecting a paycheck.

I'd love to know where we'd be if everyone in power and influential positions from even the last one hundred years actually told the truth.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here