Do you think Drugs are worse then Liquor?

Pages PREV 1 2

Zontar:

Agema:

KingsGambit:
The War on Drugs was Bill Clinton's gift to the black community.

[sigh] Reagan, for heaven's sake.

Why does everyone forget Nixon?

What

Agema:

Come on, it's famously known to be an '80s thing. "Just say no" campaign, crack cocaine epidemic, invasion of Panama; the corresponding ballooning of drug trafficking in media: Scarface, Beverley Hills Cops, Miami Vice, etc. Technically the "War on Drugs" was started by Nixon, but it was Reagan that vastly increased the scope of anti-drug enforcement and the punitiveness.

undeadsuitor:

Nixon coined the war on drugs

Samtemdo8:

I thought that was Reagan?

But than again from the history I have seen: Nixon started the War, Reagan expanded it, and Clinton made it even worse?

I get you're a contrarian but this is just silly

Pretty sure alcohol abuse is more prominent simply due to it being more widely available and socially acceptable, but drug use - depending on the drug - can be more serious of an issue if left untreated. Let's also not forget how widespread prescription drug usage is.

undeadsuitor:

Zontar:

Agema:

Why does everyone forget Nixon?

What

Agema:

Come on, it's famously known to be an '80s thing. "Just say no" campaign, crack cocaine epidemic, invasion of Panama; the corresponding ballooning of drug trafficking in media: Scarface, Beverley Hills Cops, Miami Vice, etc. Technically the "War on Drugs" was started by Nixon, but it was Reagan that vastly increased the scope of anti-drug enforcement and the punitiveness.

undeadsuitor:

Nixon coined the war on drugs

Samtemdo8:

I thought that was Reagan?

But than again from the history I have seen: Nixon started the War, Reagan expanded it, and Clinton made it even worse?

I get you're a contrarian but this is just silly

If you want to take this to the next level, why not blame the Uniform State Narcotic Drug Act in 1934? (thanks Roosevelt!)

evilthecat:
The problem is that ultimately, people don't understand addiction, and people see addiction as a moral problem which people should be able to solve on their own because after all, I'm not an addict, I've managed to avoid addiction, how hard can it be? There's a fundamental failure of empathy around people who use or become addicted to drugs which presents them as bad or weak people, rather than suffering from a serious medical problem.

You can still blame them for getting addicted in the first place. Makes little difference for the addict, but hey, I can keep on my high horse.

McElroy:
You can still blame them for getting addicted in the first place. Makes little difference for the addict, but hey, I can keep on my high horse.

Again, addiction is partly genetic.

Think about taking medicinal drugs. A drug may be hugely effective for one person, yet do nothing for someone else. Some people may experience terrible side effects, while other people with the same condition taking the same drug might not get the side effect. We're all a little different in how our bodies react to drugs, and recreational drugs are no exception. Not everyone who takes drugs gets addicted. In fact, in the case of drugs like alcohol the vast majority of people will never become addicted.

Then there's vulnerability more generally. Because people who use drugs are generally doing so for some reason. Drug abuse is heavily, heavily correlated with other problems, like mental health issues, homelessness, being a survivor of abuse or trauma or poverty. Sure, there are plenty of otherwise normal people who use drugs for fun because they think they're responsible users and won't be affected, and some of them will ultimately become addicts too, but the people most vulnerable to addiction are the people who are most vulnerable to other forms of self-harm or destructive behaviour. Blaming people for becoming addicted is like "blaming" someone for self-harming or committing suicide, heck, when you factor in the genetic aspect it's like blaming someone for being depressed because you assume they must have made poor life choices. In other words, it kind of makes you a twat.

Also, it's ultimately useless. Blaming people for addiction accomplishes nothing. It doesn't help to fix them and it doesn't deter drug use. Ultimately, all it does is push away and stigmatise people from the possibility of rehabilitation.

Now bear in mind, I've lived with years of abuse that I have not even begun to process or forgive. That's different. That's personal. Addiction doesn't just hurt one person, but often hurts the people around the addict too, and those people have a right to be angry and to hand out blame. But some random who just wants to feel superior to people.. no.. who are you? Why is it any of your business?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here