If there was a second coming of christ...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So, I work in a mental hospital and I had a thought. People believing themselves to be divine beings is possibly one of the more common psychoses, so if christ were to return, do you feel he/she would be believed or locked up?

If Christ returns, and is truly divine, it depends.
If he starts performing miracles, likely no, he would not be locked up.
And even if he were, we're going by the assumption that he's divine. If he's locked up, it's because he wants to be and can freely leave at any time using his powers.

Eh? People still believe the earth is flat, ancient aliens are a thing, that vaccinations don't work. Jesus could walk through every hospital in the world and cure literally every sick person in the world, and there would still be a majority of people who call it fake.
Likewise Jesus could not do anything, and there would still be a large minority of people who think he did cure literally every sick person in the world.

All I can think of is Humperdink from Preacher

He would be kidnapped by security forces and kept away from the public, or only allowed out for controlled media appearances so the powers that be could use him for their interests. That's assuming he would be fairly passive and have no particular superhero powers.

Depends, where has he returned?

Silentpony:
Jesus could walk through every hospital in the world and cure literally every sick person in the world, and there would still be a majority of people who call it fake.

What makes you say that? It's not like human history has had any real healing wizards we could compare our response to.

I think other religion would accept that he would have divine power (assuming he can do all the stuff like multiple food) but they'd claim he was actually send by there guy no matter what he'd say.

According to the Bible, the second coming of Jesus won't be peaceful enough to manage to lock him up. The world civilization would be in such high disarray before that moment, that mental hospitals would most likely had been re-purposed as shelters before His coming... if it were to happen.

He would be locked up, not because people would think he's crazy

But because he would be a massive threat to the capitalist 1% and the culture they've created to perpetuate their control

I'd nail him back up

I would know about it.

Well if it's a dude that claims to be all powerful all loving given the history of the world I guess we're all screwed

He wouldn't be as good as Mr Rodgers.

Worgen:

Fact. Maybe not in the sake of miracles, but in the sake of goodness I would say. He's basically sweater Jesus.

On Topic: Miracle miracles? Likely people believe and don't try and kill him again unless he's come back to scrutinize our way of life (most specifically conservative Christians if he were to go after them). Just saying he is? Depends on place but maybe locked up.

More Catholics than Protestants, and Catholics don't believe Christ will hold physical ministry on Earth. So I would imagine on that basis alone they would be medicated. Only Protestants believe New Jerusalem is an actual, physical place if they simply export enough Jews someplace.

Addendum_Forthcoming:
Only Protestants believe New Jerusalem is an actual, physical place if they simply export enough Jews someplace.

It's like Reforestation. Only with the promise of Armageddon once you finish.

Skatologist:

Worgen:

Fact. Maybe not in the sake of miracles, but in the sake of goodness I would say. He?s basically sweater Jesus.

On Topic: Miracle miracles? Likely people believe and don?t try and kill him again unless he?s come back to scrutinize our way of life (most specifically conservative Christians if he were to go after them). Just saying he is? Depends on place but maybe locked up.

Are you kidding? Hes totally better then jesus could hope to be, he did some fucked up stuff in the bible.

A quick question before I answer.

Is Jesus a child that realizes he's the second coming of Christ? Or is he just Jesus come down from heaven?

If Jesus is a child? Easily, it would be like Children of Men. Only infinitely worse. Most people would want to claim Jesus and hold sway over him to hold sway over all humanity.

Oddly enough, I don't think it would change that many atheists' minds about religion. I think they will accept that there is in fact a higher power, but I think a wide margin of them will still not accept God anyway.

CM156:

It's like Reforestation. Only with the promise of Armageddon once you finish.

As members of the Ecclesia Militans, Armageddon has always been upon us.

Why Catholicism is the most metal of Christianity. (Almost) No one is spared the corruscating flames of the Penitent. All shall burn in righteous flame and be purified in death. The Second Coming is merely the arisen of the Ecclesia Poenitens to the Church Militant.

As a member of the Ecclesia Militans (all Catholics who still draw breath) owe their allegiance to the medium of God's Will.

See, the Bible is not meant to be literally interpreted. It's just words and we're just mortals. We requure the guidance of saints and mediums to God's Will. From that platform, do war with 'Evil Spirits' and evil hearts. Catholicism is about the mobilization of the faithful (and their spirits) in life, death, and its inevitable triumph.

Catholicism was not born in a time of peace and plenty, as you can tell.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

Why Catholicism is the most metal of Christianity.

Yes, especially when you get into what the celebration of Mass actually is.

CM156:

Yes, especially when you get into what the celebration of Mass actually is.

Well there is more connections between Catechist of the RCC and Greek and Russian Orthodoxy than the Protestant sectarianism.

All three call themselves 'Catholic'. As in universal. It's also why the Catechist of the RCC has such a ridiculously long history of philosophy and metaphysics.

And the reasons why it considers itself 'universal' is due to concepts that your duty does not end in death. Most people will not receive the beatific vision... the grand majority of humanity will burn (Catholic or no). And depending on the theodices of that and the weight of sin... arises grand spiritual narratives of the human condition.

A Catholic is not just a 'Catholic' ... cepending on your order, the order that administers over a diocese, the particular Catechist of the instruction of theology, are deeply polarising.

One of the biggest myths in history was Galileo and the Catholic Church's relationship to him. He was on a Papal dole. As many Catholics were already believers in Heliocentrism. It was actually one of the big bugbears of Luther as per his dinner conversations, that the Catholic Church had basically begun scribing and adding Galileo's works to various Vatican libraries.

And we know this by the simple fact that Copernicus before him wasn't treated like garbage.

So when I say the 'most metal' ... I don't imply as in some strange idea of fanaticism, more so the fact that Catholics are taught from birth that they will do battle in time. Their faith is their armour and their sword. They will be called to serve. Death does not remove you from service, or provide any real rest. As per St. Paul's words; as if from sleep... meaning the Ecclesia Poenitens serve in death, they await, they will rejoin the living, and both shall become Triumphant. And 'Triumphant' should not be literally supposed as if victorious, but rather victorious in death. And thus figurative of the Ecclesia triumphans which is the people that receive the beatific vision through peerless service to humanity and through martyrdom.

The whole reason why fascists have often run loggerheads with Catholics is because Catholics technically can't swear allegiance to states... rather we can offer a 'pledge of service' ... but a real Catholic owes their fealty to their duty to the Church.

The Roman Catholic Church is not just a religion, it's the world's largest supranational society.

So there are schisms between Catholicism and an idea of a 'Second Coming' ... because Christ rising again is anathema to the theodices and the abject idea that it's simply not Christ's fight. New Jerusalem is a spiritual state. It's the promise, not a physical manifestation. The Bible is allegorical, not literal. Literal interpretation of the divine from the imposition of one's feeble mortality is inherently flawed.

Which is why some Catholics find it repugnant to swear on Bibles. Particularly not their own, and particularly given it's the equivalent of swearing that you will give false testimony. As a mortal, your understanding of the divine is not complete.

jademunky:

Silentpony:
Jesus could walk through every hospital in the world and cure literally every sick person in the world, and there would still be a majority of people who call it fake.

What makes you say that? It's not like human history has had any real healing wizards we could compare our response to.

We do have healing wizards. They're called Doctors. and they use the combined knowledge of thousands of years of medical history to fight bacteria and rouge cells on a cellular level. Literally un-seeable magic, which in the grand tradition of sci-fi is simply technology so advanced its indistinguishable from magic.

and people still don't believe doctors.

Worgen:

Skatologist:

Worgen:

Fact. Maybe not in the sake of miracles, but in the sake of goodness I would say. He?s basically sweater Jesus.

On Topic: Miracle miracles? Likely people believe and don?t try and kill him again unless he?s come back to scrutinize our way of life (most specifically conservative Christians if he were to go after them). Just saying he is? Depends on place but maybe locked up.

Are you kidding? Hes totally better then jesus could hope to be, he did some fucked up stuff in the bible.

Which is why I said he was basically morally better, but probably not a good of a magician.

According to "The Chronicles of Wormwood", he gets cracked in the head by the LAPD at a protest
Seems accurate.

Worgen:

Jesus? Like what?

CM156:
If he starts performing miracles, likely no, he would not be locked up.

I reckon he'd get dissected.

If a divine Jesus Christ did return, he'd be shoved into a lunatic asylum as a lunatic. If he could perform miracles to convince the asylum staff, such staff would be removed as affected by the patients and moved into a harmless job for the benefit of the patients. If he walked out using miracles to defeat security and was uncontainable, medical authorities would give up and hoped the lunatic cult following him doesn't do anything dangerous.

The cult following Christ, even with divine miracles, would be ignored because he has no understanding of mass media and walking on water just doesn't cut it anymore. If someone did teach him and he performed enough really spectacular miracles, then he'd become a worldwide media personality and all manner of culture and theological wars would break out. How governments and major factions would react is another thread but they'd all just regard an undeniably divine Jesus Christ as an annoyance.

God is dead, meaning most societies don't care about divine values.

warmachine:

God is dead, meaning most societies don't care about divine values.

That's not what that means. Arguably it was the concerted idea that metaphysical examination of the human condition and its mortality will reach its terminal fate of killing itself. But lo and behold the theodicies are still being argued about.

Though then again, Nietzsche wasn't actually writing of a singular place in time. He was arguing the inevitability of the decline and death of metaphysics concerning human mortality. Death by the birth of the first question about death. That God has died, regardless of when the madman sings as if the tolls of its passing.

People are willing to believe all kinds of shit as it is, I've no doubt he'd attract a pretty sizable following if, as you say, he is legit. But how do we rigorously test to make sure he is not either a fantastic magician or an alien being capable of manipulating energies in ways we cannot yet understand?

Though if he's come down here to kill himself and guilt trip us all again for further indoctrination, I'll have to give him a hard pass of the cold shoulder. And the phone number of a skilled family counselor.

He'd have to know some pretty dope card tricks if he wanted people to buy into his shit. Also he'd have to be a rabid gun owner and a complete and utter bigot.

Silentpony:

jademunky:

Silentpony:

We do have healing wizards. They're called Doctors. and they use the combined knowledge of thousands of years of medical history to fight bacteria and rouge cells on a cellular level. Literally un-seeable magic, which in the grand tradition of sci-fi is simply technology so advanced its indistinguishable from magic.

and people still don't believe doctors.

Oh ok, fair enough.

Aw wouldn't it be great if Jesus returned to preach the scientific method?

Kwak:

Jesus? Like what?

He supposedly made a snake explode once, though that's apocryphal.

Well, from what i remember from the Bibble, after the second coming he'd basicly be an Ultra Instinct Jesus, compared to the original one. Raising people from the dead by thousands, and turning entire oceans into wine, making kinda hard to write him off as a mere lunatic.

Okay, so people pretty much think the Second Coming will be the same as the First Coming... Youre probably right

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here