Politically Correct Games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Please share your thoughts about some of my observations in the culture of videogames.
I can add more from this list but these are the topics I'm most interested in.
All inputs are greatly appreciated.

1.) Since when did being RIGHT-HANDEDNESS became the standard for most videogame characters?
I can name a few game characters who are LEFT-HANDED but all I see are characters mostly using their right hand.
It's like being a LEFTY is wrong.

2.) Since when did we have an openly GAY or LESBIAN as main characters in videogames?
Sure we do have homosexuals starring in videogames but they only act as supporting characters.
Let alone I haven't heard of a game that sold well with a HOMOSEXUAL main character.

3.) Since when did we ever considered making videogames for the GERIATRIC AGE GROUP?
I haven't seen a game developed for these people.
They deserve more than just hospice care so give them games that cater to their needs!

4.) Since when did we have a game who's main character is OPENLY MUSLIM and persecutes EVIL CHRISTIANS?
A lot of shooter games deal with EXTREMISTS, mostly coming from ISLAMIC or THIRD WORLD countries.
Most developers marginalized and stereotyped people and their culture from those countries.

5.) Since when did games feature JESUS or even GOD as their main character?
I noticed that games that deal with the UNDERWORLD sell a lot.
Being the DEVIL and EVIL is so cool.
Always Hell and no Heaven because being HOLY and GOOD sucks!

DT speaking.

1)
You are over thinking that.
Developers have far better things to do then decide "left hand or right hand"

2)
The person who thought up the game's story didn't make the main character not heterosexual, simple as.

3)
What?

4)
Not very good marketing.
Good luck getting that game sold in the west...you know where most games are sold in.

5)
PLaying a religious prophet who preaches peace would be a very boring game.
Playing Goid may be very different but it makes for a shitty and bland story

Are you serious about this...?
Okay then:

1.) The majority of people in real life are right-handed. There are some games that let you choose, though. Overall, it makes sense to have most of your characters be right-handed, if you can't have the ability to choose, though.

2.) Gordon Freeman is gay. There, I said it.

3.) I hear that casual games are quite popular among mature people.

4.) There are games where you kill evil Christians or members of a group very similar to the Catholic Church in the way it is represented. I don't think one plays as Muslims, specifically, but that's good enough for me. I also like games where you play as a Christian (or Christian-like) person who fights against corrupted Christians (Christian-like people) who control and manipulate the masses, because it brings to light the whole struggle between personal faith and organized religious power-structure.

5.) There were a few god-simulators where you could play as either good or bad guy. As for Jesus, well. You don't play as Jesus, specifically, but you play as a god's avatar in a lot of games.

I'm guessing you're trying to be ironic but I'll bite anyway :)

The main charcter in the first mass effect was both homosexual and female. It was in the version I played anyhow - I just couldn't resist the pull of alien lesbian sex but was badly disappointed :(

Well I for one am left-handed and can't say I give a shit.

Do you feel marginalized?

Good.

can you say non-issue? none of these are in anyway deliberately PC moves by video game corporations.

Ironic as the OP probably is, I'll supply a serious answer.

Many of those fail due to simple commercial pressure.

The lead character should be one many players can easily empathise with, imagine themselves as, or otherwise think is cool. Whether we like it or not, homosexual or Islamic leads will not do wonders for sales as most potential purchasers aren't that way inclined or actively dislike them. (Indeed, the makers of the FPS No-One Lives Forever did some research on why their - in my view - excellent FPS did not do well, and found that many gamers didn't like the fact they were playing a woman.) Possibly offending the religious is not a great way to increase sales, or otherwise risks a lot of adverse publicity and societal friction companies can do without. Old people generally are not gamers nor want to be.

I've not really got an answer for left-handedness. I think some games you can change the handedness of your character. Mostly, I suspect people just don't care that much.

What I meant is that there has been no games geared toward people who's age bracket ranged from 60-80 years old.
They could at least make a videogame that will help these old people enjoy their last years of life.

=3

shengzingping:
What I meant is that there has been no games geared toward people who's age bracket ranged from 60-80 years old.
They could at least make a videogame that will help these old people enjoy their last years of life.

=3

Old people have no interest in video games....it's all about knowing your market.

The old people of now anyway, we'll be them one day :( so it's safe to say my above statement may not be true for long.

-DT

Skeleon:
Are you serious about this...?
Okay then:

1.) The majority of people in real life are right-handed. There are some games that let you choose, though. Overall, it makes sense to have most of your characters be right-handed, if you can't have the ability to choose, though.

2.) Gordon Freeman is gay. There, I said it.

3.) I hear that casual games are quite popular among mature people.

4.) There are games where you kill evil Christians or members of a group very similar to the Catholic Church in the way it is represented. I don't think one plays as Muslims, specifically, but that's good enough for me. I also like games where you play as a Christian (or Christian-like) person who fights against corrupted Christians (Christian-like people) who control and manipulate the masses, because it brings to light the whole struggle between personal faith and organized religious power-structure.

5.) There were a few god-simulators where you could play as either good or bad guy. As for Jesus, well. You don't play as Jesus, specifically, but you play as a god's avatar in a lot of games.

It would be nice to see a unique game of a LEFT-HANDED GERIATRIC GAY MUSLIM who loves Christians.
Just a thought.
=3

I find politcal correctness to be offensive.

Public PCs Suck:

shengzingping:

=3

Old people have no interest in video games....it's all about knowing your market.

The old people of now anyway, we'll be them one day :( so it's safe to say my above statement may not be true for long.

I agree.
But wouldn't it be sweet if you could play a videogame with your old aging and bed-ridden parents before they die?
It'll be a nice memory to carry on.
=3

Shanecooper:

How come?

shengzingping:

Shanecooper:

How come?

I'm sure he's poking fun at the people that support political correctness.

-DT

Agema:
Ironic as the OP probably is, I'll supply a serious answer.

Many of those fail due to simple commercial pressure.

The lead character should be one many players can easily empathise with, imagine themselves as, or otherwise think is cool. Whether we like it or not, homosexual or Islamic leads will not do wonders for sales as most potential purchasers aren't that way inclined or actively dislike them. (Indeed, the makers of the FPS No-One Lives Forever did some research on why their - in my view - excellent FPS did not do well, and found that many gamers didn't like the fact they were playing a woman.) Possibly offending the religious is not a great way to increase sales, or otherwise risks a lot of adverse publicity and societal friction companies can do without. Old people generally are not gamers nor want to be.

I've not really got an answer for left-handedness. I think some games you can change the handedness of your character. Mostly, I suspect people just don't care that much.

Come to think of it, I haven't heard of Middle Eastern or Communist game developers who excel in making a profitable FPS.
Most of our games come from either the East (Japan) or West (US).

Public PCs Suck:

shengzingping:

Shanecooper:

How come?

I'm sure he's poking fun at the people that support political correctness.

-DT

Aw.
XD

shengzingping:
Please share your thoughts about some of my observations in the culture of videogames.

1.) Since when did being RIGHT-HANDEDNESS became the standard for most videogame characters?
I can name a few game characters who are LEFT-HANDED but all I see are characters mostly using their right hand.

2.) Since when did we have an openly GAY or LESBIAN as main characters in videogames?
Sure we do have homosexuals starring in videogames but they only act as supporting characters.
Let alone I haven't heard of a game that sold well with a HOMOSEXUAL main character.

3.) Since when did we ever considered making videogames for the GERIATRIC AGE GROUP?
They deserve more than just hospice care so give them games that cater to their needs!

4.) Since when did we have a game who's main character is OPENLY MUSLIM and persecutes EVIL CHRISTIANS?
A lot of shooter games deal with EXTREMISTS, mostly coming from ISLAMIC or THIRD WORLD countries.
Most developers marginalized and stereotyped people and their culture from those countries.

I'm guessing this is a little tongue in cheek but I'll play along.

1. Link is left handed.
2. You clearly haven't played enough Eroge.
3. Brain Training
4. You not played "Islam is the Light?',bad game but "Al-Quraysh" looks fun. Saladin's Campaign in Age of Empires 2
5. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_video_game

Being left handed isn't really socially unacceptable anymore. I feel like I should say something about the homosexual comment because I am gay but it's hard to say more then homosexuality doesn't sell, because the bulk of the world still isn't peachy with it. Unfortunately this is what goes for the rest of the points too. I'm sure you're aware that everything there makes money which is what seems to matter these days.

shengzingping:

It would be cool if you could play as Jesus, the Demonslayer!

shengzingping:

1) Well, a majority of people are right-handed, and all lefties committed fratricide (it's science, look it up).

EDIT: Okay, so, in most twins, one is right-handed, the other left. Therefore, most (no evidence to say it's not all) lefties used to be twins in the womb. Since then they have absorbed the weaker sibling into their body (yes, those stories are true) and get born and live happily ever after. In a left-handed fashion.

2) Majorities. I doubt there'd be a huge market in video-gaming-homosexuals who also like what-ever genre and style and console and price your game is...

3) I have to teach my nan how to use the damn email, so I doubt that's a good idea...

4) Quick Quiz. Who makes video games? Americans, British, Australians (we've had a few), Japanese. Now, which of those, are Islamic countries?

5) Well, if you did ONE thing that depicted God or Jesus, or Allah (especially Allah), you'd be SO messed up.

You didn't really think out this argument...

shengzingping:

Public PCs Suck:

shengzingping:

=3

I agree.
But wouldn't it be sweet if you could play a videogame with your old aging and bed-ridden parents before they die?
=3

Hell yeah! I'll be playing Super Mario 132341 with my grandkids.

shengzingping:

1. Right-handedness is more common, it's just how it goes. We also don't generally play as albinos, either. Southpaws are something like 10% of the population, IIRC.
2. Excluding Bioware games, it doesn't happen that much. Again, though, it's about target audience and verisimilitude. Really, though, aside from games specifically about romance (at least on some level), how many games show a characters sexual orientation? Not many. And those that do, obviously, want to let their (usually heterosexual male) audience connect with the narrative. Though, Vanille was clearly gay with Fang in FFXIII
3. Again, target audience. Remember, please, that most of the time, we don't consider the elderly able to kick ass and take names, so we don't conceive of them as the stalwart heroes of the land.
4. I'm sure if the Muslim world could get their heads out of their respective asses for more than fifteen minutes, and made video games, we would have some games about Muslim freedom fighters killing evil Christians. For the moment, though, they're the backwards region. They're carrying the idiot ball now, like Western civilization had it for a thousand years after the burning of the library at Alexandria and muder of hypatia
5. Persona 3. You're basically Jesus in bishonen teenage boy form. True, we don't do games of "just hang out in heaven", but we also wouldn't enjoy games of "just hang out in hell". We like the heaven/hell thing because it creates conflict. A good man in hell fighting for something good; or the demons of hell trying to destroy heaven.

shengzingping:

All of these can be explained by saying that the game wouldn't be as marketable to wider audiences with the exception being number one.

1. I can probably think of one character who's left handed but it's not something that really matters unless you're playing a shooter. As someone who is right handed, having a gun on the left side of the screen feels weird and considering the majority of people in the world are right handed, it seems like common sense to have a righty character as standard with a check-box to make a character lefty.

2. A homosexual main character could be interesting actually. The thing is though, it would have to be handled just right. If you make the character a piss take, gay people are going to be up in arms but they will similarly be annoyed if the sexuality of the character is mentioned once and then never again. This could easily be avoided by good story writing but think about some best selling games and the target audiences for a minute. Do you really think that people who spout out 'fag' and 'gay' as derogatory terms are really going to appreciate playing a homosexual character?

3. What exactly would you do in a character where you play an old person? The elderly don't play many video games at all and most of the old characters in games could just be a young character with a new skin. An adventure game where you play an old person could be interesting but unless you really make a thing about the character's age, it may as well be the usual 20-something character.

4. A game where you play as an openly Muslim person killing Christians would be a very, very bad move on the side of the game creator. To be honest, I don't know of a game where you do the reverse either or indeed kill any members of a real life religious group. Not only do you bring controversy to the table with that but you're likely to exclude a large group of people who could be buying the game. Game developers are in it for money, not social commentary.

5. Featuring a specific religious figure in a game is a bad idea for the same reasons in number four. If it wasn't handled just right, it could all go to hell plus you're bound to bring in controversy and bad press.

shengzingping:

ok, my thoughts:
1)yes, game developers hate the left side..you had 10+ years or republicanism, getting used to the left again is hard!

2)if it were lesbians it would sell. and considering how women behave, it's not that hard to believe.
male homos only work for anime because girls watch it and girls love yaoi.

i mean, imagine playing a First person RPG or whatever you want:you go inside the house, you hear your partner's sensual voice, your partner asks you to come and have wild sex after saving the world!

all 13 year old boys are excited to finally get some cyber sex! then..you stick it in his pooper. with insanely detailed modern graphics.
all 13 year old boys who aren't gay are now traumatized for life.

3)"tilt wii remote to rock your chair" or "the adventures of auntie emma: will she get to the pharmacy on time for her heart pills? FPS for your grandma" just doesn't sound like a best-seller.

4) developers deal with whatever issue is hot at the moment (like south park). exceptions are nazis and hitler, who have been dead for over 50 years yet 98% of the planet doesn't seem to realize this.
however it'd be pretty cool, though christian countries might oppose the idea(gee, i wonder why)

5)ever played this? proof tiny dragons work for god.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgxPk4w2P3I
i never managed to finish this damn game as a kid.

also if you want the really hardcore christian things, play these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkNvQYiM6bw

zHellas:

shengzingping:

It would be cool if you could play as Jesus, the Demonslayer!

Who would be Jesus' damsel in distress then? Mary Magdalene?
=3

Daipire:

shengzingping:

Public PCs Suck:

shengzingping:

=3

I agree.
=3

Hell yeah! I'll be playing Super Mario 132341 with my grandkids.

Huwaaaaaaaaat?!
XD

Daipire:

shengzingping:

1) Well, a majority of people are right-handed, and all lefties committed fratricide (it's science, look it up).

EDIT: Okay, so, in most twins, one is right-handed, the other left. Therefore, most (no evidence to say it's not all) lefties used to be twins in the womb. Since then they have absorbed the weaker sibling into their body (yes, those stories are true) and get born and live happily ever after. In a left-handed fashion.

2) Majorities. I doubt there'd be a huge market in video-gaming-homosexuals who also like what-ever genre and style and console and price your game is...

3) I have to teach my nan how to use the damn email, so I doubt that's a good idea...

4) Quick Quiz. Who makes video games? Americans, British, Australians (we've had a few), Japanese. Now, which of those, are Islamic countries?

5) Well, if you did ONE thing that depicted God or Jesus, or Allah (especially Allah), you'd be SO messed up.

You didn't really think out this argument...

I agree that the Caucasians and Japanese people do make videogames.
I doubt the Islamic countries couldn't make great videogames.
They've got to be rich since we get our fossil fuel from them.
LOL!
XD

faceless chick:

shengzingping:

ok, my thoughts:
1)yes, game developers hate the left side..you had 10+ years or republicanism, getting used to the left again is hard!

2)if it were lesbians it would sell. and considering how women behave, it's not that hard to believe.
male homos only work for anime because girls watch it and girls love yaoi.

i mean, imagine playing a First person RPG or whatever you want:you go inside the house, you hear your partner's sensual voice, your partner asks you to come and have wild sex after saving the world!

all 13 year old boys are excited to finally get some cyber sex! then..you stick it in his pooper. with insanely detailed modern graphics.
all 13 year old boys who aren't gay are now traumatized for life.

3)"tilt wii remote to rock your chair" or "the adventures of auntie emma: will she get to the pharmacy on time for her heart pills? FPS for your grandma" just doesn't sound like a best-seller.

4) developers deal with whatever issue is hot at the moment (like south park). exceptions are nazis and hitler, who have been dead for over 50 years yet 98% of the planet doesn't seem to realize this.
however it'd be pretty cool, though christian countries might oppose the idea(gee, i wonder why)

5)ever played this? proof tiny dragons work for god.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgxPk4w2P3I
i never managed to finish this damn game as a kid.

also if you want the really hardcore christian things, play these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkNvQYiM6bw

It would be cool if Grandma can kick anyone's ass in a FPS.
As for Christian games, BIBLE GAMES didn't do well.
I wonder if they would make an adventure game featuring a macho Jesus with a scatily clad Mary Magdalene beside him.
Rawr!
=3

Doitpow:

shengzingping:

I'm guessing this is a little tongue in cheek but I'll play along.

1. Link is left handed.
2. You clearly haven't played enough Eroge.
3. Brain Training
4. You not played "Islam is the Light?',bad game but "Al-Quraysh" looks fun. Saladin's Campaign in Age of Empires 2
5. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_video_game

I know Link is a LEFTY, I'm speaking in majority of games.
I play a lot of weird Japanese PC games during my high school days before they started banning them.
Brain training would be good for old people as long as the games don't fry out their last remaining neurons.
Yeah, Islamic characters could use a big break in videogames.
How about playing as a suicide bomber character starring in a stealth game?
XD

Binerexis:

shengzingping:

All of these can be explained by saying that the game wouldn't be as marketable to wider audiences with the exception being number one.

1. I can probably think of one character who's left handed but it's not something that really matters unless you're playing a shooter. As someone who is right handed, having a gun on the left side of the screen feels weird and considering the majority of people in the world are right handed, it seems like common sense to have a righty character as standard with a check-box to make a character lefty.

2. A homosexual main character could be interesting actually. The thing is though, it would have to be handled just right. If you make the character a piss take, gay people are going to be up in arms but they will similarly be annoyed if the sexuality of the character is mentioned once and then never again. This could easily be avoided by good story writing but think about some best selling games and the target audiences for a minute. Do you really think that people who spout out 'fag' and 'gay' as derogatory terms are really going to appreciate playing a homosexual character?

3. What exactly would you do in a character where you play an old person? The elderly don't play many video games at all and most of the old characters in games could just be a young character with a new skin. An adventure game where you play an old person could be interesting but unless you really make a thing about the character's age, it may as well be the usual 20-something character.

4. A game where you play as an openly Muslim person killing Christians would be a very, very bad move on the side of the game creator. To be honest, I don't know of a game where you do the reverse either or indeed kill any members of a real life religious group. Not only do you bring controversy to the table with that but you're likely to exclude a large group of people who could be buying the game. Game developers are in it for money, not social commentary.

5. Featuring a specific religious figure in a game is a bad idea for the same reasons in number four. If it wasn't handled just right, it could all go to hell plus you're bound to bring in controversy and bad press.

It would be nice to make a LBP geared for old people.
They would love to watch Sack Boy on fire!
Just kidding.
That's the problem with games: If a Christian kills a bad Muslim it's called vindication, but if a Muslim kills a bad Christian they call it terrorism!
And they say that bad press is good for money flow.
OMG!
XD

shengzingping:

Okay.

shengzingping:

No, it's more like no one gives a shit about whether a game character is right- or left-handed. And why would you?

shengzingping:

The majority of mankind is straight. This is probably true for an even larger majority of gamers. In games, people want to be able to relate to their characters. Homosexuals aren't "cool". There you have it.

shengzingping:

How many people of the GERIATRIC AGE GROUP do you know that can start a computer, let alone start an application on one?

shengzingping:

Firstly, this reflects reality.
Secondly, there is to my knowledge no game where an OPENLY CHRISTIAN character persecutes EVIL MUSLIMS.
Thirdly, who the but a jihadist would want to play such a game?

shengzingping:

Well, duh.

Tl;dr: No one cares or it wouldn't sell.

OH MY GOD!
I would play the shit out of a game with Jesus as a protagonist.

Pararaptor:
OH MY GOD!

AMEN!
=3

To make you feel better, Yugioh 5D's has ALL THREE villains of the season being left handed.

I myself am left handed, but my parents always taught me to use my right, so I'm pretty much ambidextrous.

Pararaptor:
OH MY GOD!

Your goals would involve visiting the poor and bringing relief to the sick, hungry, and needy.

I'd rather play Pokemon, even as a Christian, despite the fact that many have said it is TEH EBIL.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked