Laws that you disagree with.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hello. My first post here, so bear with me. :P

I have recently started in a sociology class, and we have discussed a fair amount of topics and I want share one of those discussions with you.

Are there any laws or norms that you disagree with? If so, how do you react to them? If it's a law or norm that you can decide not to follow, would you, even though you may be punished for doing it? Can you explain why you do it anyways?

*Not my opinion, just an example*: I disagree with some of the age limits on video games, because I think people should decide for themselves what they can play. I buy all my games online, so I don't have to think about the age limit.

Please respect each others opinions. I don't want this thread to become a flamewar. :)

Well, it's not exactly a law that I could break or anything, but...
I dislike the relatively new laws for tuition fees in most Bundeslšnder of Germany; they're further limiting vertical mobility.
It already was pretty difficult for people from lower classes to afford to go to university instead of starting to work at 14-18 years old (hopefully in the form of an apprenticeship, which there are fewer and fewer available of, also), this only worsens the situation.
This problem is further exacerbated by the fact that we have very few options for stipends in Germany.
Our politicians just don't think in the long term at all and then wonder why we lack academics and skilled labour.

As for laws that I could break, I suppose I disagree with criminalizing marijuana while keeping tobacco and alcohol legal and regulated, both very dangerous in their own respective ways. It's not so much about protecting citizens as it is about granting the lobbies of two specific poisons a great deal. I don't smoke marijuana myself but I disagree with the inconsistency.

Down under, the government is allowed to refuse classification to any form of media.

That needs to go.

The law thats says I'm allowed to have sex at the age of 16... but the also says I can't watch 2 women do it. Having sex at my age is potentially more dangerous then watching it on the web. But then again... I could still get a virus from watching...

I should probably contribute a little to my own thread.

I dislike the law the EU is trying to force on the norwegian government, which says that beer commercials must be allowed. Hopefully we won't get it, because I like beerfree commercials. :P

I want to be allowed to walk around Chester after dark without being shot at with bows and arrows :(

the Blasphemy laws in Iceland (although the last time they enforced it was in the 80's? i think) are frankly outdated and unnecessary.

Oh so many, and some jurisprudence assigned to them as well.

The most immediate ones would be to roll the age of criminal liability back up to age 15, cull the penal code of articles which are in reality never used (among them the one on blasphemy), inserting limitations about abandonware and unreleased markets on copyright laws (and rebalancing consumer and industry rights in general), making assisted suicide legal, offering prostitutes the same rights as other workers, and legalizing (and severely taxing) marijuana to undercut criminal markets.

I will adhere to any law legitimately and democratically passed and not violating constitution or international conventions; Such is the agreed workings of democratic societies. Then vocally protest, argue against it, and seek to alter it. Though one of course cannot entirely rule out that a law could be passed so detrimental and contrary to the harm principle that I would choose to show open civil disobedience in regard to it.

Not that I couldn't wheedle around (the outskirts of quite) a few of them if I really wanted to, playing procedural and geographical practical limitations on enforcement, but such are not my generally idealistic ways.

JonnyBee:
I should probably contribute a little to my own thread.

I dislike the law the EU is trying to force on the norwegian government, which says that beer commercials must be allowed. Hopefully we won't get it, because I like beerfree commercials. :P

Blame EFTA and the bilateral agreement you members states of it have with the EU to adhear to its inner market regulations for that one. Though I for one see nothing objectionable in a restricted access to market alcohol in certain publications and ways.

"Bear with you"? I think you mean Bee with you... Am I right fellas?! :D :) :| :( :o :O D:

OT: These laws about weed are freaking ridiculous, I dont even smoke the crap so you cant blame that for clouding my judgement either.

Quite a few other laws but with Prop 19 failing I think thats the one thats still leaving peoples asses stinging.

Any law or ordinance that passes that creates speed bumps in a county/city/municipality. Those little shits kill tons of people.

Kinguendo:
"Bear with you"? I think you mean Bee with you... Am I right fellas?! :D :) :| :( :o :O D:

I really laughed at that line. I knew from the beginning that someone would make a comment about my name, and I like it!

OT: I agree about the weed. I don't smoke it myself, but I think that people should be allowed to use what they want as long as it doesn't harm anyone else.

I disagree with many motorcycle laws, ones that allow motorcyclists to speed down the middle of traffic because they are on a smaller vehicle. The stripes aren't a lane! If you don't have a lane to drive in, you shouldn't be able to speed down the middle of traffic...it's stupid, and makes me hate motorcyclists on crotch rockets.

Imperator_DK:
making assisted suicide legal, offering prostitutes the same rights as other workers, and legalizing (and severely taxing) marijuana to undercut criminal markets. .

These would be my big three, it is long past time that these issues were properly addressed and framed in law without moralising bullshit or political cowardice. Prostitution is called "the oldest profession", it isn't going to go away so let's be fucking sensible and create safer and saner working conditions.

Marijuana is, in my mind, no different from alcohol. So long as we have proper regulations on, for example, driving under the influence then get the hell over the squeamishness.

In terms of personal choice I think that assisted suicide is essential. I do not EVER want to be hospitalised and completely dependent on other people. My decision to make sure that doesn't happen and to end my life when I am ready without having to endure pain should be my choice. Other people can shove their personal morals or faiths right up their arsehole, they may do as they please but do not have the right to influence my choices.

Oh, and fuck the blasphemy laws.

the Blasphemy laws, Marijuana laws, the laws created by the PMRC (tipper gore is a whore), the prostitution laws that harm sex workers instead of protecting them, my list goes on and on.

FlameUnquenchable:
I disagree with many motorcycle laws, ones that allow motorcyclists to speed down the middle of traffic because they are on a smaller vehicle. The stripes aren't a lane! If you don't have a lane to drive in, you shouldn't be able to speed down the middle of traffic...it's stupid, and makes me hate motorcyclists on crotch rockets.

You sure that's a law? I was under the impression that motorcycles had to keep in one lane and not travel down between lanes.

Ahhh most excelent! Are you a Sociology major?

One large sociological issue is how the institution of money has become the dominant social institution of our time.

More on topic, the australian classifacation of entertainment is a ridiculous law.

The no smoking in public places-law.

While it's good in general, there is one thing that the dutch government totally fucked up with that law.
You see, the law states that any public pub's, restaurants, dance halls, etc. are a non-smoke zone.
I'm fine with that, I don't smoke, but it's nice not having to spend 2 hours under the shower after going out to wash the smoke smell out.

HOWEVER, as most of you know, coffee shops are a legal selling point of marijuana. It's heavy regulated, and they are forbidden to sell alcohol. So the only reason you'd go there is to buy and smoke marijuana.
With the new law, it's forbidden to smoke the marijuana inside now. Thus increasing the number of smokers on the street, that are more prone to "no good".

Laws in the U.S. I disagree with:
1: no commercials for ciggarettes. Come on, the legal age for them is 3 years below the age for alcohol and yet there are beer commercials everywhere.

2: I disagree with the laws that allow words on TV to be censored. If you don't like the language then don't watch the show.

3. I dislike that we have an electoral college, they served their purpose back in the day now it's time for them to GTFO.

Legality of alcohol vs legality of pot. Come on, let's legalize and tax this shit. Turn the expenditures of arrests into income in the form of taxes.

Charles_Martel:

FlameUnquenchable:

You sure that's a law? I was under the impression that motorcycles had to keep in one lane and not travel down between lanes.

Law in California, but a good number of states don't have laws that expressly prohibit Lane Splitting. They do however have laws that protect motorcyclists, but then those same motorcyclists take that as license to drive recklessly. I might be mistaken but I believe the burden of proof is on a car/truck driver to prove that the motorcyclist was driving recklessly if they have an accident, and the motorcyclist was being reckless.

Murder.

The legality of pot, and euthanasia laws.

The USA drinking age in relation to military service. Either raise the eligible age to serve in the military to 21 lower the drinking age to 18 or make it so under 21 military IDs can be served alcohol. It bothers me that these young men and woman can fight and die but they can't have a beer. Also legalize pot so all my asshole pothead friends can shut the fuck up, is that all you people talk about. I'm an alcohol person not a weed guy, maybe I don't get it because my social pleasure is legal but its all they talk about unless thier high then they just watch Bonanza. Final point sober I like Bonanza.

aquaman839:
The USA drinking age in relation to military service. Either raise the eligible age to serve in the military to 21 lower the drinking age to 18 or make it so under 21 military IDs can be served alcohol. It bothers me that these young men and woman can fight and die but they can't have a beer. Also legalize pot so all my asshole pothead friends can shut the fuck up, is that all you people talk about. I'm an alcohol person not a weed guy, maybe I don't get it because my social pleasure is legal but its all they talk about unless thier high then they just watch Bonanza. Final point sober I like Bonanza.

yeah your drinking age is completely ridiculous
also what age do average Americans start drink because me and my friends (in the uk) started when we were about 15

The freaking "No Child Left Behind" Act. It forces me to learn stuff like Trigonometry and Pre-calculus when I am trying to become a Lawyer so I can eventually become Mayor, Governor, and President!

stevetastic:

aquaman839:

yeah your drinking age is completely ridiculous
also what age do average Americans start drink because me and my friends (in the uk) started when we were about 15

I had my first beers at 16 but didn't become a regular thing until college. I have friends who used to get housed at 12.

I live in a U.S state where in certain places (used to be the whole state) you can't buy alcohol on Sundays. You can drink it on Sundays but not buy it. Never made any sense to me.

I disagree with all Laws.

They should not exist.

If you've heard of something in this country called "right to work" states, then you get a whole plethora of laws I disagree with. Essentially, it's a way to cut the legs out from Labor Unions and give employers 100% of the control over their employees. Best part is, they disguise it with terms such as "right to work", or "at-will employment" so it sounds like they're giving people freedom when, in truth, they do just the opposite.

This doesn't affect me personally, but while the age of consent laws are 16, the age of consent for homosexuals is 18. That should be rectified.

Charles_Martel:
I live in a U.S state where in certain places (used to be the whole state) you can't buy alcohol on Sundays. You can drink it on Sundays but not buy it. Never made any sense to me.

If you live it Utah, it makes sense, actually.

Deofuta:
Ahhh most excelent! Are you a Sociology major?

Not yet, hopefully someday. Been studying it for 2 months or so now. I'm also studying philosophy, but sociology is by far the most interesting subject. :)

I'm against the enshrining of marriage as a legal institution. Honestly, I'm not even all that hot on marriage as a norm; I don't think it benefits anyone. If you want to be monogamous, just do it. Why make it more difficult for people to leave each other if they're no longer happy in their relationship? Why spend all that money to do little more than publicly announce that you're confident that you won't want to end the relationship before one of you ends up dead? A lot of people are going to want to do it anyway; maybe some of them actually have compelling reasons for it, be they religious or otherwise. But I don't think anyone can come up with a good justification for a legal distinction between two people who are married and two people who have decided that they want to make their lives together without the wedding.

Good morning blues reminded me of something, I'm against benefits for married people.
Subsidize children better and more directly, nobody cares or should care whether people are married or not.

the laws for mining permits here in australia, in laymans terms if someone has a mining permit and than claim a section of your land, dig it up to check for minerals (laim the entire block if they find something or just leave it without filling it back in if they don't), and you can't do a damn thing about it.

Charles_Martel:

FlameUnquenchable:

depending on the country motorcyclists can travel down the line between traffic depending on the situation, here in australia if your doing it while the other cars are moving (known as lane splitting) its illegal, however if the bike is moving at a slow speed and traffic is stationary (filtering) then it is ok, i don't have a problem with filtering as it reduces traffic congestion and keeps the motorcyclist safe (a bike is at its safest in traffic when it's mobile)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked