Mormons and Magnets. What's the deal?

What little I know of Mormonism comes from the South Park episode about it. Essentially I know nothing of their religion except a very bare-bones story of how they claim it came to be. So why is it that about one third of the pictures on artoftrolling.memebase.com are people asking Mormons how magnets work? I don't get it, and I was hoping someone could tell me what aspect of the Mormon religion causes this question to be a problem.

You must be new to the internet...

The meme is from the ICP song about miracles where they say "fucking magnets how the do they work?". There is nothing about magnets in Mormonism it's just funny to ask them how magnets work

It comes from an Insane Clown Posse song, "Miracles."

Water, fire, air and dirt
Fucking magnets, how do they work?
And I don't wanna talk to a scientist
Y'all motherfuckers lying, and getting me pissed.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/fcking-magnets-how-do-they-work

Not sure exactly how Mormonism comes into it, unless the ICP are Mormons? /shrug

And this, my friends, is why ICP is the shittiest band of all time for spawning such a stupid meme. And the fact that their music sucks.

Thanks. I'd seen it so many times done to Mormons I assumed there was some minor thing in their religious texts about it. Apologies for my ignorance. I've actually heard that song line before, too.

While others have said something close to it, I'm gonna put out my joke:

Maybe Mormons are big fans of ICP?

Kobie:
And this, my friends, is why ICP is the shittiest band of all time for spawning such a stupid meme. And the fact that their music sucks.

Eh, a few of their songs are okay.

zHellas:
While others have said something close to it, I'm gonna put out my joke:

Maybe Mormons are big fans of ICP?

Kobie:

Eh, a few of their songs are okay.

Gnnnhh. I'm going to disagree with you on that. Not a single note that has ever come out of those two functional retards' mouths is worth a shit. Just awful, awful, awful, awful, awful "music."

Freakin' Mormons, how do they work?

Uh dude, ex-Mormon speaking here, that magnet thing was BS. Now I admit my memory is fuzzy as to the exact story of Josepth Smith these days, but even at the time (When I was still Mormon and knew about it) I knew it had been exaggerated.

But South Park's main point still stands.

"Hey, I saw God and Jesus, and an angel gave me a bunch of golden plates that you will never see. Do you believe me?"

"Yeah sure, why would you make it up?"

Those are two separate things that are linked by 4chan. 4chan likes to harass Mormons, and make jokes about magnets.

BrassButtons:

Not sure exactly how Mormonism comes into it, unless the ICP are Mormons? /shrug

Now that would be a great news story.

Magnets work because they come from the earth and still contain a bit of gravity.

Troll science.

Mormons are actually really nice people. You ask them how magnets work, and though you may be trollin', they'll be nice enough to try to answer.

BrassButtons:

Well, ICP outed themselves as a secret Christian band a few years ago...

Because nothing makes ME think Christianity like Juggalos beating the crap out of rednecks...

*just assume I've got a WTF look on my face in that last line*

The part of the song I hate more than the "magnets" bit, which deserves to be mocked, is the bit about scientists lying. Anti-intellectual bull.

Magnets? Sounds like miracle talk!

Mormons just happen to have an easily-trollable site called Mormon.org where anyone can talk to a representative of the church. Trolling them was already a fad when the ICP meme was born, and the two worlds collided.

Thanks, I had wondered where this came from too...and since you couldn't PAY me to listen to ICP I may have never known :p

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked