Westboro Baptist Church plans to protest funeral of 9 year old girl slain in Arizona shotings.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Housebroken Lunatic:

lacktheknack:

Eh?

Usually not a good idea to drop troll bait in a thread where everyone's angry.

No trollbait. It's my honest opinion and it doesn't matter at all what anyone will say to try and contradict it because I've been over similar debates countless times already. I've already seen all the arguments, and they have all failed.

It's not like protesting a funeral is any worse than your average terrorist bombing or even the Crusades for that matter. Just religion spewing shit across the world like it always does in different magnitudes...

do you have any issue with non-fundamentalist forms of religion?

Is there a charge we can use to lock these assholes up for good? Protesting the funeral of a nine year old who was simply wrong-place-wrong-time is simply unacceptable.

Purple Shrimp:

Yes, I have.

I'm not even part of America and yet the utter RAGE I'm getting from these people really questions my belief that relgion should be allowed sometimes.

America allows free speech to ensure freedom amongst it's people...but there is free speech and spewing hate from the lowest circles of hell!

One thing I have noticed is they take a lot of DARK and CRUEL things and say it's God's word. To me that god shouldn't be in the clouds but down in the dark underground. I will say this though: A good demon is one that can hide itself as an angel and be believed as such. That way the demon can corrupt the teachings of good and turn many loyal followers into the pits of horror like it intended.

WBC: promoting bigotry and stupidity since the dawn of man

How i hate them so. I would like to think this system will wake the American people up as well as sadden them, but i bet as soon as the next big thing happens, they'll forget.

TestECull:
Is there a charge we can use to lock these assholes up for good? Protesting the funeral of a nine year old who was simply wrong-place-wrong-time is simply unacceptable.

Nope. They can hide behind freedom of religion, freedom of expression and/or even hate speech, all of which are protected under the First Amendment. The best we can hope for is a large group of locals (or people willing to travel) picketing and yelling around them in a counter protest, basically cutting them off and shutting them down. It has to be peaceful, though, or else they'll just sue for assault and battery and get money from it. Still, it's worked before. Last time the WBC was in San Francisco, the locals had a field day pissing them off.

Freedom of speech my ass.

Geo88:

TestECull:

Nope. They can hide behind freedom of religion, freedom of expression and/or even hate speech, all of which are protected under the First Amendment. The best we can hope for is a large group of locals (or people willing to travel) picketing and yelling around them in a counter protest, basically cutting them off and shutting them down. It has to be peaceful, though, or else they'll just sue for assault and battery and get money from it. Still, it's worked before. Last time the WBC was in San Francisco, the locals had a field day pissing them off.

You mean like this?

Yeah I can stand behind that. Maybe we can annoy them to the point they bugger off?

The Cheezy One:
The actions of this church do not reflect those of other Christians. As much as it pains me to insult other Christians, they are dumb hics who take the Bible too literally. It is not just a book of laws written about 2000 years ago, it revolves around a living, understanding God, who can see that the world has changed. These people need to be informed they are wrong. And if they aren't, and God actually condones this stuff, then I would really have to rethink my choice of deity. But because He doesn't, I won't.

There's more to Christianity than believing in the Bible. Christianity, no matter the denomination, is about following the message of Christ. It's about holding ourselves up to impossible standards of love, humility, and self-control, and believing in an all-loving God who forgives us when we fail. It's about being able to love everyone unconditionally--even those who wish to be our enemies...even people who commit terrible acts of destruction. Different denominations have different details, but all Christians strive for one goal: to immitate Christ.

The WBC, on the other hand, are a bunch of hate-mongering attention-seeking biggots who happen to believe in God. They need the prayers of every person of faith in this thread, and need to be pitied by everyone here. They are truly sad people.

death13245:
I'm not even part of America and yet the utter RAGE I'm getting from these people really questions my belief that relgion should be allowed sometimes.

America allows free speech to ensure freedom amongst it's people...but there is free speech and spewing hate from the lowest circles of hell!

One thing I have noticed is they take a lot of DARK and CRUEL things and say it's God's word. To me that god shouldn't be in the clouds but down in the dark underground. I will say this though: A good demon is one that can hide itself as an angel and be believed as such. That way the demon can corrupt the teachings of good and turn many loyal followers into the pits of horror like it intended.

Sadly, the USA was founded on religious freedom, which is why they call themselves a church. Yes, THAT is why they claim to be doing God's will, at least in my opinion, because they can spew as much hate speech as they wish, calling it preaching.

I'm not a religious man, but I have read the bible and the koran, and I'm pretty sure that nowhere in the bible does God say that you're not only allowed, but supposed to be a racist, hate filled bigot.

XT inc:
I am confused by their logic, they claim peoples deaths in any circumstances is god acting through various things to kill homosexuals, soldiers etc. Now For one if God kills soldiers through opposing forces, does that not mean he is on their side,Religious killings against the west, wouldn't that mean god was Allah and not christian?

Or on another note, if some crazy person went off the rails and just murdered the ever loving hell out of those church followers, where is their rebuttal? God Hates Us? or do they jump ship and say that god had nothing to do with it and the person was just mad. Put I do find the irony in trying to find logic in theological operations.

I believe that the root of their logic comes from the old Testament how when the Israelis followed God they thrived and prospered, when they turned away and followed false idols they were conquered and suffered. Fast forward to today and throw in a heavy dose of American patriotism and relgious zeal to the point that they believe they the United States of America is now 'God's country'. From that someone may think if they follow they're interpration of God's laws then God will bless the nation and they'll prosper, turn away from God and he'll shun your nation and leave you vulnerable to your enemies.

That's my theory at least why some Americans are so religously crazy, it's not the religion itself but an unhealthy mix of patriotism and religion. Remember that there was that Evangelical leader that after 9/11 suggested that God let 9/11 happen because of the gays.

The WBC takes things to a whole new level of crazy though... they call themselvse a church but really they're more of a cult. They're basically a closed community with most of it's member being Fred Phelps extensive brood (I think?)

TestECull:

Geo88:

TestECull:

You mean like this?

Yeah I can stand behind that. Maybe we can annoy them to the point they bugger off?

This is a good alternative I believe.

Please for the love of God why cant we jsut beat the living shit out of them ? If they are sinking this low just use violence, that will keep them aay. They only persist because they feel safe.

I really don't understand the WBC. I hope the authorities block them from protesting though, or something is done about that. >.<

Somehow, WBC is a giant joke. It has to be. I refuse to believe that I am of the same species as these degenerates.

Konaerix:
Are these the guys who were protesting comic books a few months back?

They're the guys most famous for the "God Hates Fags" and "Thank God for Dead Soldiers" signs at the funeral for KIA servicemen.

Basically, any kind of completely ridiculous, selfish, and hate-filled act you could possibly contrive to be performed in the name of the religion, they have done it. It's completely ridiculous, and they should be shot on sight.

If I lived in America I'd be tempted to spend a few weeks picketing their church with a megaphone and a big sign that says "God hates Fred Phelps"

Well, when the empirical scientific method of going about reality gets thrown out the window in favour of "This is what I strongly believe reality is like", many bizarre lines of thought becomes unlocked; Including apparently that "god" hates dead 9 year old girls because America isn't fundamentalist enough.

That's some creative thinking right there. Too bad it's nothing but hurtful in the real world.

I need to make some phone calls to the area. I need to see about trying to get them to refuse service to the WBC. They are already on a list of troublesome guests at several hotels. Because they are on such a list, refusal of service would be legal.

Yes, it may sound crazy, but the best way to prevent the WBC from being able to do their "mission" is to make them be so terrible that they can't do anything but protest from their own property. If they have nowhere that will put them up for the night, then they can't actually go anywhere. Of course, organized boycotts of any hotel chain that houses the WBC will ultimately show that we are too sick of them to allow this to continue.

This the about the only legal thing I can think of that would stop the WBC from going everywhere. If they stay in one hotel that's part of a chain, then nobody else stay in that chain anywhere. That's really the only thing I can think of. If enough people did this, then hotels would refuse to serve WBC for fear of losing more money in the long run.

Housebroken Lunatic:

Purple Shrimp:

Yes, I have.

would you care to elaborate? :)

My opinion on the subject is that every religion that I'm aware of incorporates, at a basic level, teachings of respect and love (amongst other things.) Although I'm not religious, I still have a lot of respect for those who are and have those beliefs as a result. If religion has helped to bring meaning into anyone's life, then I'm grateful for it. :)

the obvious exception is people who harm others as a result of their religion (eg the examples you gave in your previous post.)

You know, I can't quite tell which is more upsetting, the fact that these assholes are still doing this shit, or the fact that (at least where I live) nobody aside from the Congresswoman has gotten any mention in the news.

Corkydog:
At this point these guys are worse trolls than Anonymous...

Great.
Now you've said that, the Escapist is going to go down for a week. >.>

Corkydog:
I stand corrected then. The only way to shut them up is put them away.

Any suggestions on how to arrest these guys?

Your best bet would be to show up at their protest, with a direct copy of one of their more famous slogans, slightly altered to make your point, and then counter protest. Basically, do everything you possibly can to aggravate them and hope one or more takes a swing at you. That will be enough to at the very least allow the cops to shoo them off the lawn.

Why doesn't someone shoot the WBC instead!? At least those cunts would deserve it...people like this need to die. Painfully. Protesting funerals is one thing, but the funeral of an innocent 9 year old? There has to be a line with this shit.

Agayek:

Corkydog:

Your best bet would be to show up at their protest, with a direct copy of one of their more famous slogans, slightly altered to make your point, and then counter protest. Basically, do everything you possibly can to aggravate them and hope one or more takes a swing at you. That will be enough to at the very least allow the cops to shoo them off the lawn.

My buddy had a plan if they protested around here. In the state of Florida self defense from any felony can be brought at any level. He was going to counter protest using 15 foot tall black cardboard with no message at all, and aggravate them until they swung at him, then he was going to defend himself with a pistol. I'm sure it would have been a terrible idea, but it would have worked. Well it might have worked, maybe after the video evidence was turned in and paperwork was filled out.

Purple Shrimp:

My opinion on the subject is that every religion that I'm aware of incorporates, at a basic level, teachings of respect and love (amongst other things.) Although I'm not religious, I still have a lot of respect for those who are and have those beliefs as a result. If religion has helped to bring meaning into anyone's life, then I'm grateful for it. :)

the obvious exception is people who harm others as a result of their religion (eg the examples you gave in your previous post.)

The fundamental flaw in religion, regardless of creed, is that it preaches exclusion. The very nature of religious belief mandates that your chosen religion must be right, to you. It's just human nature.

Unfortunately, human nature is also to marginalize and ostracize that which disagrees with your worldview. It's basically impossible for the human mind to firmly believe in a religion, and accept the possibility that said religion could be incorrect.

As such, people tend to ostracize and marginalize those of differing beliefs. That's the entire reason sub-cultures form. The act of believing in a religion literally requires you to discriminate between "the correct" (your faith), and "the incorrect" (every other faith).

It's unfortunate, but it's human nature and that's not going to change any time soon (if at all).

All that said, religions do usually at least pay lip service to admirable values and worthy goals. If they would stop requiring blind faith, I would say religion is one of the most impressive and worthwhile human accomplishments. As it is, it's one of our worst.

Aylaine:
I really don't understand the WBC. I hope the authorities block them from protesting though, or something is done about that. >.<

If they managed to piss off Hell's Angels, they might not live long enough. That gang does not mess around.

OT: My condolences to the family of the little girl.

My apologies on behalf of the state of Kansas.

vxicepickxv:

Agayek:

Corkydog:

My buddy had a plan if they protested around here. In the state of Florida self defense from any felony can be brought at any level. He was going to counter protest using 15 foot tall black cardboard with no message at all, and aggravate them until they swung at him, then he was going to defend himself with a pistol. I'm sure it would have been a terrible idea, but it would have worked. Well it might have worked, maybe after the video evidence was turned in and paperwork was filled out.

I'm not expert when it comes to the law, but I imagine your friend would end up in prison.

The giant cardboard with no message is a pretty funny idea though

Can't wait for these people to come to the after life, I highly doubt any "loving god" would let them into the nicer parts of the after life.

I thought the bible taught you to show respect and love for other people, guess I read the wrong book.

Purple Shrimp:

It's getting harder and harder to know where to start when it comes to bones needning to be picked with religion, mainly because there are so many.

I could go with the fact that it's diminishing human capacity in the way where it serves as a "refuge" for people who "lost hope" and who desperately fill their heads with fantasies and fairytales because the universe around them seem too frightening without some fantasy creature in the sky watching their back. Instead of just trying to teach them that their lives are exactly as meaningful as they themselves decide them to be. That humans have a choice in the matter.

I could also go with the diminishing of values like respect and love towards people, since religion has a way of perverting people's perception of what these things mean. Respect and love are perceptions that normally occur on their own to people who deserve it. Trying to indoctrinate people inte respecting and loving EVERYONE will just make these concepts lose their meaning.

But im not going to go with these things today. I think I'll go with the fact that there is no such thing as a "peaceful" religion. You can blame fundamentalists and extremists groups all you like, but the fact is that these are ALWAYS spawned out of religion where ever it shows it's ugly face. And it's no wonder, since religion basically have a lot of fun "source material" that are often used to justify all manner of violent and heinous acts against others and this also happens without much questioning (GOD sanctions it after all, so why should any believer question the acts?).

At least with secular, scientific and intelligent debates and opinions you have to be able to ARGUE why a specific course of action is the better one, and also QUESTION the opinions and findings that others have made. When it comes to religious "faith" however, there are no questions asked.

This serves as a breeding ground for extremism and violence. Good religion doesn't exist because it's inseparable from it's violent and ugly counterpart. There is simply something inherently rotten with it, and it doesn't matter how many ideological wars are fought in it's name, because the rotten parts won't go away.

That's why I think it should be exterminated. It doesn't deserve to exist simply because it makes some people "feel better" about themselves, especially not at the price of all those who are oppressed and get murdered in it's name...

If Jesus was really the son of God(if God does exist), he'd be rolling in his grave right now.

Aurgelmir:

I thought the bible taught you to show respect and love for other people, guess I read the wrong book.

Romans 1 :29-32

"Those filled with unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, backbiters, hate for god, despite, proud, boasters, inventions of evil things, disobedience to parents, without understanding, covenant breakers, unnatural affection, implacable or unmerciful nature: Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death."

Sounds really "respectful" don't you think?

I would be lying if I didn't say that I'm secretly hoping to hear this article in the news some day:

Entire Westboro Church Congregation kidnapped! HURRAY!

Oh WBC, as if Christianity already didn't have enough stupid history.

FUCKING WHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTT?!?!?

THEY DARE DO SUCH A THING TO AN INNOCENT LOLI?

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

calmingdownnow.jpg

WHY? It makes no sense.

Let's hope that group of bikers that disrupt the WBC show up to rev their engines.

Housebroken Lunatic:

snip

That's a flaw with people, not religion. Wars have been fought over secular reasons as well, and non-religious people have the same potential nastiness.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked