52.4% (11)
No
38.1% (8)
38.1% (8)
dont really care
4.8% (1)
4.8% (1)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: should something be done about the Westboro church blaming gays at US military funerals?

The Christian church seems to have a way of pinning all the worlds problems on someone else and it seems now there pinning U.S. soldier deaths on the homosexual community... personally I think this is outragous and there should be a line between freedom of speech and slander... but what do YOU think about it? (please do not post hate comments just your opinion on the matter)

Edit: i meant the Westboro Baptist Church sorry

Which church? I believe there are several.

Would you happen to be talking about the Westboro Baptist Church?
If yes, they've been at this for quite a while now. I think pretty much everybody agrees that they're horrible people; still, the debate of whether their behaviour still falls under freedom of speech or already enters the territory of hate speech is continually ongoing and we haven't reached a conclusive answer yet.
If not, could you maybe be a bit more specific or give us a news source or whatever you're refering to?

Skeleon:
Would you happen to be talking about the Westboro Baptist Church?
If yes, they've been at this for quite a while now. I think pretty much everybody agrees that they're horrible people; still, the debate of whether their behaviour still falls under freedom of speech or already enters the territory of hate speech is continually ongoing and we haven't reached a conclusive answer yet.
If not, could you maybe be a bit more specific or give us a news source or whatever you're refering to?

thats the one lol sorry

Cheers for the clarification.

Also, I don't mean to sound snarky, but we do have two other threads about this on the go at the moment.

(Understandable though, it's a hot topic).

Oirish_Martin:
Cheers for the clarification.

Also, I don't mean to sound snarky, but we do have two other threads about this on the go at the moment.

(Understandable though, it's a hot topic).

haha yea i just wanted to share my opinion and still get some views too :D

The Westboro Baptist Church business model:

(1) Select target
(2) Select offensive placards
(3) Protest
(4a) Any attempt to prevent protest? - Sue (4b) No response? - Repeat 1-3

The whole thing is a massive grift. A cult of 70 people, mostly related by blood or marriage, function as a church and make $$$ suing people (many of them are lawyers). And because they are a "church" they are tax exempt.

The best way to stop them is to cut off the oxygen of publicity but this is really really hard to do because they will fight for it. A few years ago they threatened to picket the funerals of the Amish girls that were murdered and called it off only when they were promised air time.

I think that everyone other than the most grotesquely stupid realise that soldiers are not killed in the line of duty because of gay folk. No one sane really believes that. But they know that it causes offence to scream that vile crap at people, and they don't care if those people are the bereaved because it makes the biggest impact and makes it far more likely that someone will try to intervene and stop them and thus end up getting sued. They really are professional trolls and the best way to make them stop is to ignore them or to only use passive resistance to them.

Look at Patriot Guard videos on Youtube to see how people are countering them. It's a good idea, but I am always worried that the veterans who show up will end up so provoked that fists will fly. And ten seconds later, personal injury lawsuits...

I really doubt there is anything much more to them but a family of scum with a nasty little money spinner.

Personaly i think someone might snap and people could get hurt... OR KILLED!!!

I think it is shameful, what they get away with. That's the problem with free speech, EVERYONE MUST get it.

it must stop its Immoral, Unethical and I bet Christ is turning in his grave.

No. They're following the law. Whether you like them or not, the WBC is probably the greatest champion of free speech in America.

Something needs to be done. Something epic and most certainlly illegal, but these assholes deserve it. However I won't say that people should do this. Just that in this one specific instance and no others it would be doing the world a favour.

*cough cough cough*

Godavari:
No. They're following the law. Whether you like them or not, the WBC is probably the greatest champion of free speech in America.

*hands flame shield* You will need it.

Just wait for that old fucker who runs the WBC to die and get a bunch of gay guys and gals to protest his funeral and see how they like it... turns out they might not feel so good about it on a day when they are mourning.

As long as they don't commit violence, they may do as they please with their protest and speech.

Something should most certainly be done. But it should be done outside the law and without attempting a legal high-ground.

Some things that are technically legal still needs to be fought and when that happens someone with balls needs to make a personal sacrifice and step outside the protection of the law. These people are abusing the good intent of free speech and any legal way to stop them will be shut down or result in a major reduction in that basic human right. Therefore action must be taken even though there's a risk of repercussions.

When evil can be done within the boundaries of the laws then good have to step outside those boundaries to fight it.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked